For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Male Shiba Inu desperately in need of home or foster in NM
  • 5 year old male Shiba, neutered, is at great risk of being sent to a kill shelter. He is just under 30 pounds. His owners have a new baby and want him gone right now. He has not shown aggression to the baby, but is "too curious." They are not willing to keep him until he can be placed in a rescue (though I don't believe they found a rescue to take him either--I'm not in direct contact with them, so I don't know). He is a bit of an escape artist, and can resource guard a bit. I was going to take him as a foster, but he would be able to get out of our yard, and also does not get along with our dogs. He is a bit skittish with strangers (he's a puppy mill dog).

I don't really have a sense of how he is with other dogs, though he lives with an older female husky mix now. He gets along fine with cats.

Please send me a message if you know anyone who can take him in, even temporarily. I'd hate to see this guy euthanized, and I tried to make it work with us, but it's just not going to.
  • catloreecatloree
    This poor dog has been in my thoughts ever since you posted about him. I really wish I could help, but not only am I in Texas, we're also just not financially or mentally ready for another dog.

This situation is just so sad, though. I won't judge this couple for feeling that they need to rehome their dog, because I don't have kids & I haven't been through that. But I think it's inexcusable that they won't do the right thing & spend the time to find him a home where he has a chance. It makes me physically ill to think that they could take a member of their family to a kill shelter. :( I couldn't live with myself if I put a dog in that situation.

I really hope that someone is able to step in & save him.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • I know...it's pretty awful. I think we've got them to the point of waiting, though, since we've got him listed in a lot of different places, and a couple of local people have expressed interest in him. I think hearing that he WOULD be euthanized if they took him to a shelter (even the no-kill place that couldn't take him told them that) has finally made them come to their senses. They have agreed to keep him for now, but are adamant he must go. I don't know how long we have, but I think we've bought him some time, and I'm feeling more optimistic.

oh, in case anyone here knows anyone, here's a pic of him (which I couldn't get imbedded, so it's just a link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/424863_10150631058128195_545233194_9154844_1737670354_n.jpg/>
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-03-19 14:38:42
  • @shibamistress- I looked at the National Shiba Rescue listings. Didn't see him. Maybe I missed him? If he isn't listed, maybe he should be.

Rescue link: http://national.shibarescue.org/listings/
  • Thanks...I'm in kind of an odd position here, because this is not my dog, and honestly, I'm not even in much contact with the people who have him. I have been in contact with a couple of rescue groups who are now trying to find a place for him in Colorado or Texas, but....the thing is, I also feel like the people who have him need to step up and contact groups.

I gave the owners the info. of all the Shiba rescue groups I could find, but they do have to do the work to get him listed. I did talk to a rescue group who has passed his info. on to rescue groups closer to us, and we're trying to find a foster home for him. But it's kind of an odd situation, as I said, because I want this dog to find a home, but I also am not willing to do all the work for the people who have him, and let them off the hook entirely, you know?
  • @shibamistress- Understand you on this one. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • MayamaMayama
    @shibamistress: It really sucks that the owners are shoving the responsibility onto you. Feeling that it's not safe to keep the dog around the baby is one thing, which I can understand, but not putting in any effort to find the dog a new home is just not responsible. It also sucks that the original owner refuses to take him back or even foster him. Hope the poor boy can find a home soon.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • To be fair to them, they only asked for a bit of help, and they have been trying too. They're pretty overwhelmed right now. And I want to find him a home, so I'm willing to help some (just not do everything!).

His previous owner can't take him because he lives in a place that won't allow dogs--as in if he has one, he's out. He tried to convince the landlord to let him take him temporarily, but no go.

But we've got him listed with a couple of rescue groups, and have some local leads too, so I'm feeling more optimistic.
  • catloreecatloree
    I'm glad to hear that they are willing to keep him temporarily. He has such a sweet face. I hope he finds a new home soon!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • And looks like we got him a variety of places. With the help of the Shiba rescue network, Northern Nev. rescue will take him if we can get him to Reno (we can) and also there are two other people interested in him, and one foster home available, as one person who may want him can't take him til June.

So looks like we've got him covered! Thanks everyone!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    great news!!!
  • Glad to hear this! Let us know what happens w/ the little guy.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I'm so glad to hear this.
    The Shiba network can really pull through sometimes. Keeping my fingers crossed for a great outcome.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • They really can. We were disappointed, yesterday, to learn that it looked like some of the local options were falling through, so he probably would have to go to Reno, but now one person who has agreed to foster for him a bit at least seems to be falling in love with him, so we're really hoping that the foster home will turn out to be a permanent one.

I think--hope!--it's a good match, because he's kind of shy and doesn't always go to people. But he's been really good with her, and was apparently super excited to see her on the second "date" and he's had some home visits that went well, so....I'm hoping this will work out! It's like this normally shy dog decided, yeah, she's the one for me!
  • Keeping my fingers crossed that this works out for the little guy.
  • BootzBootz
    I hope the foster works out! Its nice to hear foster parents falling in love and deciding to make a long term commitment instead of a short one. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)