For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
When did you bring your pup in public.
  • KitsuKitsu
    At what age did you start bringing your dog out in public to socialize him or her. (Like to a petstore or a dog park.)

Also, what age do you recommend training?? I was thinking about going to Petsmart and taking a training class with them, mainly for socialization but the training helps too (and if it doesn't work, at least there was socialization)
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 09:15:31
  • dorapochdorapoch
    You can take your dog out anytime after you get him. But the key word is "with you".
    It is advised by vets to not take your puppy out before they get all their shots.

Socialization is very important, both that and training also can and should start immediately.

I couldn't take my puppy out often in the beginning because he had parasites for a month. But I guess I lucked out because he is very friendly to people and other dogs. Maybe too friendly...haha
  • XabiXabi
  • jjlcjjlc
    We got her at eight weeks and started taking her out to places like the pet store and such almost immediately. Had to test her and see how she would respond to people, places and things. No dog parks till after the last round of puppy shots. I would start puppy classes as soon as you can as well, but until then, read up (lots of good sites, this one included), get a book and start doing behavior training immediately. I'd recommend planning to spend an hour or more every night doing that stuff, but that's just me. I'd also lose the "if the training doesn't work" mindset. You're leaving room for failure from the start and that's fine if you want an Ok dog that "sort of" behaves the way you want.
  • XabiXabi
  • SaskaShibaSaskaShiba
  • SayaSaya
  • Stef777Stef777
    Omg Saya was and is still soooo cute ;)
  • BootzBootz
    Ehhh...I was a paranoid mom. A friend of mine, her puppy got parvo when she took her to petco...she carried him mostly but put her down for one second....and BAM. I waited for all my shots to be done. But during that time I took her to friend's house that had dogs that were up to date on shots.

Like Saska said, its up to you. I personally started training Bootz since I got her....but I ran out of tricks....I went as far as getting her to jump through a hula hoop. LOL.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-03-15 16:11:26
  • NekopanNekopan
    Unless you live in a high parvo area (ask your vet) I would highly recommend taking your dog everywhere you can as soon as you bring him/her home. Try to avoid areas with a lot of dog traffic - carry him in these places.

Meet as many people as you can as long as it is a positive experience. Fully vaccinated, healthy dogs are fine to play with too.

I wouldn't recommend going to dog parks until the pup is a little older.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • AnnaAnna
    The day I picked Hammond up he met another dog. My friend who drove with me brought her Shih Tzu so she could keep an eye on him over the weekend since he'd injured himself.

When we got back he met her other dog, because I knew both of them were healthy and up to date on vaccines.

I picked him up around October 15th and then brought him to two Halloween parties 2 weeks later at 11 weeks old. He also started a puppy class that weekend. I carried him into the class, though (it was at the animal shelter and lots of dogs get walked around outside). I'd also bring him to the vet in a carry-crate until he got his 3rd set of shots.

I think maybe he met another friend's healthy dog at her house after his second shots.

But parks, pet stores, etc., I didn't take him to until after his third round of vaccines. I wasn't too worried because he was already getting tons of people socialization (the parties, taking him to friends' houses, brought him to my work, puppy welcome party at my house - he must've met at LEAST 150 people in the first two weeks I had him), and getting some puppy socialization at class and the safe puppy play time after class.

If we encountered other people with dogs on our short walks before his shots (I did take him outside for pottying, but kept within 20 feet of my porch where I figured it was safe enough because almost no other dogs got walked in that area), I'd tell people "no, he's sick right now". Which he wasn't, but it's a super effective way to get people to keep their dog away from yours.

Immediately after puppy class was done, we signed up for Feisty Fido (for reactive dogs - either too excited or aggressive - Hammond was on the too excited end), then Intermediate Manners, then Nose Work, and Agility. So he's pretty constantly encountering other dogs now, not to mention weekend and evening trips to the park. The puppy class made a huge difference though, his interactions were noticably better by the end of the class versus the beginning. Even his interactions with me were much improved.
  • XabiXabi
  • RyanRyan
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Hey - don't know if this threat is still active but so I don't spam the forum with a new topic - I'll try here first. My almost 5 month Shiba has just gotten her second and final round of vaccines and is done with all her vaccinations but won't get her rabies until another 2-4 weeks. Can I take her out for walks now without rabies?
  • zandramezandrame
    @kagurarap, what is the chance of rabies in your area? My vet said the likelihood was very low, but we stuck to walks around our local area, and still no trips to places like dog parks or areas other animals frequent.

BTW, why have you waited on the shot? She could get it starting at 4 months. And most states require it. You should be able to just drop by your vet and get the shot done, and not wait 2-4 weeks.
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    Keiko started going to the office with us from day 1 and we started puppy classes the day after her second round of shots. Because we live in an area where the parvo risk is higher and she was a summer puppy, we were very careful about letting her feet touch the ground in any uncontrolled areas.

I made an interesting mistake with her. Because I wanted her to be firmly socialized with people, we did "pass the puppy" with everyone who came into the building and wanted to hold her (small building, small town). As a result, she's fine with being picked up and handled, but we're having to work to keep her from making noise at building visitors when she's on the floor.
  • RyanRyan
  • jennajenna
  • tatonkatatonka
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    We got our pup at 8.5 weeks old and we took him out starting day 1 with us. The breeder encouraged us to take him out as much as possible but not let him walk much in areas where other dogs may have been.
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-01-30 12:08:14
  • kagurarapkagurarap
  • KentaKenta
  • I started puppy classes as soon as he had his vaccinations. I started taking him to the dog park then too. Th sooner the better I thought. He is well socialized, now, too! Get's along great with people and other dogs! I really recommend early training and socialization.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)