For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Best Puppy Raising Books
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    Forgive me if this has already been asked. If so just direct me to the thread. What have you all found to be the best puppy raising books for beginners? A friend of mine is wanting to adopt her first dog ever this summer and wants to read all she can. She is also set on getting a puppy, most likely lab mix. Thanks.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-28 13:35:35
  • KitsuKitsu
    Theres been other threads about books. But I don't think I've seen one asking for a specific raising a puppy book. I'm interested as well.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    You can't go wrong with much of what Dr. Ian Dunbar has said or written.

"Before You Get Your Puppy"
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    before we got brewster we read 2 or three different books,if i remember when i get home ill post the titles in your thread..1 was shiba specific,and the other one is training high energy dogs,and i think there was a third but they were all helpful..ive owned dogs in the past but shibas are a whole different animal that should be researched before you buy...also this forum proved a useful reading aid :) no advice is better than first hand and from those who care a great deal about their puppy/dog :)
  • KitsuKitsu
    I just bought that book that was recommended. But when I went to read it , I found out the screen on my Kindle is broken! :O
  • XabiXabi
    Ian Dunbar, Ian Dunbar, Ian Dunbar. I absolutely love him. I'm also a fan of Dr. Sophia Yin's "How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves." She's got another book (and possible download) which is something like Perfect Puppy in 7 Days or so. I'd recommend that and the "Before" material at least a few weeks in advance so you can get your materials and space ready. They both have youtube videos which are short and informative. Patricia McConnell is a good expert to search out as well.

I know I've put this same information in other threads, so if you use the Advanced Search function you may be able to find other threads with links.
    X & I signature smaller
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    I agree Dr. Ian Dunbars book is great...I followed it almost 100% and Koji has no resource guarding, is very well socialized with dogs and people, is not spooked by things, doesn't door bolt - and is all around good doggie (of course he has major Shiba-tude at times :)

I just want to add that while his info is spot on, the book can come off a tad alarmist (which is probably good to motivate people) but there were times I was an emotional wreck - He describes end of the world scenarios if don't do things exactly...I would sometimes be filled with anxiety that I wasn't doing it right...

So I'd say great info, do what he says, but try to relax and enjoy puppyhood as much as possible...:) Maybe it was just my paranoid personality...Dunbar is great - he probably has seen the result of not socializing etc and it's terrible for people and dogs so I get where he's coming from...
  • "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete has been a wonderful resource for us through this entire process!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Make sure to use the newer revised version of the Monks of New Skete book.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I haven't seen the new one, but the old one is dreadful. It's full of dominance bs and alpha rolls and all that. Dont try that on a Shiba (or any dog).

One really great book that is about puppy training, but is good for any age of dog, is Control Unleashed. While it's aimed at dogs who will go on to agility, the lessons are useful for any dog. There are two versions, and the second, which is linked here, is really just an updated version of the first, and is appropriate for any aged dog:

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Unleashed-Program-Leslie-McDevitt/dp/B0077BTNFS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348770258&sr=1-2&keywords=control+unleashed
  • I am not sure about the one that was put out in 1991, but the revised edition still has some of the dominance techniques, including the alpha rolls unfortunately.

However, what has been most beneficial to us from the book has been the growth periods of the puppy, along with information on finding the right breeders, the importance of socialization, puppy mills, dog training products (leashes, collars, etc.), what is needed for the first day to first week with the puppy, different types of dry foods, potty schedules, etc.

The book has been pretty accurate in describing the different attitudes and growth expectancies that our Shiba puppy has gone through. It completely prepared us for finding our right breeder and getting Raiden home in the safest and most comfortable ways possible. It certainly has to be taken with a grain of salt but this was the book that has helped our little family the most with making sure Raiden has everything he needs.

Many of the training techniques are not generally accepted in more modern training, in fact, much of what it recommended as far as obedience is concerned are things we decided against using in our own puppy training. However, I found the book to provide much more than that. Reading only one book on puppy raising, I believe, would not have gotten me very far and so we read four or five books before he came home. We ended up meshing a lot of different techniques together that fit our family the best. Each family is different and decides to raise their puppies in different ways. The way I see it, the book simply gives more information than would not have been there before, agreeing with it or not. Just my opinion. :-D
  • Has anyone read Cesar Milan's book? I think it's called "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" or something like that. I'm about halfway through it and I feel like it's all pretty good advice.
  • See the following link. There are a lot of good things there to pick from.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/10795/books-resources-and-dvds-etc-for-dog-training#Item_1
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-10-09 18:07:26
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    So far I have read Shiba Inu by Adrew De Prisco, Housetraining For Dummies by Susan McCullough, How To Raise The Perfect Dog and Be The Pack Leader by Cesar Milan, and The Complete Idiots Guide To Dog Tricks. Among that I've read a lot of random internet information, checked valuable resources such as this forum and shibashake.com. Next on my list is probably the Dr. Ian Dunbar one mentioned above. All have been very helpful in preparing! I don't know how Cesar Milan's techniques are regarded on these forums, but I do feel his methods come from having the best intentions. I obviously won't be using all of them from his books, but I feel very prepared for when I finally do get my Shiba Inu!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @teddyjames - I would highly suggest that you disregard any information you gained from reading Milan's book(s).

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/6955/what-the-experts-say-about-the-dog-whisperer-cesar-millan/p1
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ArcticArctic
    Ditch the Cesar Milan, more Ian Dunbar and Sophia Yin. That's about as concise as can be, in my personal opinion.
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    @sunyata The Cesar Millan thread was very helpful, thank you! I agree with what was posted there. This does bring a few things to mind though! He's working with "red-zone" dogs, which hopefully mine will never become. I would NEVER try aversive methods with any kind of animal (i'm way too much of a softie to even consider it). I did read How To Raise The Perfect Dog by him, which took a different tone than his show. The only considerable ideas I got from him were 1) remaining calm and patient with animals 2) dogs can sense your "energy" (Which I just replace with the word emotions) 3) Corrections with behavior should never come from a place of anger or frustration (Don't get all frustrated if the puppy pees on the floor) 4) When to give proper positive reinforcement (Letting the dog out of the crate after they're relaxed, not cooing and petting to calm them down from something that shouldn't be a big deal, and the no talk/no touch/no eye contact if the animal is misbehaving). Should I trash those points? I don't plan to alpha roll my dog when he jumps on the couch, or get a choke chain to leash jerk if he goes to sniff something. That would be insane. Definitely going to look up the two professionals mentioned in this post though, thanks!

James
  • LosechLosech
    Not exactly a puppy book, but When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion was a good read for "difficult to train" dogs like a Shiba. So was Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown, regardless if you've got a reactive dog or not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)