For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Can a puppy be fed too much?
  • Post edited by Calia at 2012-03-07 18:19:13
  • LosechLosech
    Yes, a puppy can be fed too much. That does sound like a lot of food, but as long as she isn't getting chubby she'll be fine. If she chubs up, cut back on some of the food. Overweight puppies are not good.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • SayaSaya
  • konpeitokonpeito
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond is 7 months and gets fed around a cup a day. Technically only 2/3 of a cup (1/3 for breakfast, 1/3 for dinner with salmon oil), but he gets a small handful every time he goes in his crate (morning, afternoon, if I go out, then bed time).

He also gets treats while on walks (a mix of his normal ToTW kibble, some other kibble, Orijen kibble, and Zuke's salmon treats), treats in his kong if he's getting too annoying, and bully sticks or pig ears. The vet said he's gaining weight at a healthy rate for a puppy (not too fast or too slow) and that about a cup a day should be good.

He still acts like he's starving, though. He'll eat his dinner and still lose his mind with excitement to get more kibble as treats. He'll freak out trying to climb furniture to eat the cat food.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • BootzBootz
    wtheck 21 lbs and only eating 1 cup a day?

Bootz is 22 lbs and i was worried about only feeding her 1.5 cups a day!
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2012-03-08 13:09:30
  • AnnaAnna
    @LeoJDHu Hammond's last weigh-in when he got neutered last month was, I think, 17 pounds 2oz (I know the 17 pounds was right, but the ounces I'm iffy on).

I'd guess by now he'd be 18 or 19 pounds. His weight gain has tapered off a bit, but for a while there he was gaining like 1-2 pounds a week, haha.

We're heading to the vet shortly and I'll ask to weight him again and let you know. :)
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • AnnaAnna
    Leo's not a fatty, haha. Hammond just weighed in at 20.2 pounds.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • SayaSaya
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    @Blu_by_u "cups" are a measure of volume and ounces are a measure of weight so it depends on the material you are measuring. When we say 1 cup a day of food we are using a measuring cup not just a regular drinking cup. The bag of kibble should have instructions as to how much kibble your dog should get each day based on the dogs age and weight.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • Dakota has always eaten about a cup of kibble a day (she weighs 18.5 lbs. and is full grown). Now, she has decided she does not want the kibble and prefers wet food. How do I translate 1 cup of kibble to "wet" food? Would 1 cup of kibble be equivalent to a 5.5 oz. can of wet food? Somehow, I don't think I understand the translation from kibble to wet re: amount. Or would should I put the wet food into a cup and figure it that way? I'm sure it's more based on calories, etc. but so confusing......
  • britkotsubritkotsu

Kishi is full grown at 17lbs but only eats 2/3 cup per day. It keeps her weight healthy though. As long as the weight is in the right place.
  • Yea, it is such an individual thing. According to the Dog Food Advisor web site food amount calculator:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

Dakota (according to her weight and activity) should get about 543 calories a day... We've been feeding her Fromm Salmon Tunalini and their website says that the salmon tunalini is kcal/cup = 407.34. She'll only eat 1 cup a day (if that), so between that and her treats for being a good girl, she still looks like a good weight to me. I guess your mileage may vary -- as in all things.
  • Oh man. Vi eats 1 cup of wellness core, 6-8 oz of raw, 2-4 oz of cheese, 3-4 oz of greek yogurt a day and she is underweight at 17 lbs. My breeder (seconded by the vet) has suggested I add mac and cheese to that. I've gotten some good tips here and will slowly be adding more fat and carbs to her diet. I think she eats the same number of calories a day as some people I
    know.

But anyway, many shibas are good at self regulating though admittedly with the increase of mill shibas I'm seeing a lot more overweight ones. I think you have to be flexible and pay close attention to your dog rather than going by strict guidelines. Mine is not a particularly active one but she seems to have a high metabolic rate. If we fed her strictly by guidelines she would be severely underweight. The guideline of being able to feel but not see the ribs is a good one. Also at the puppy stage I think it's ok to feed them more since they're growing.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • tatonkatatonka
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-28 02:08:53
  • SayaSaya
  • BootzBootz
    @tatonka, as shibamistress said go with how your dogs look! I've seen many dogs that get fed less than what Bootz gets fed but their dogs are overweight x_x....whereas Bootz is fit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)