For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Can a puppy be fed too much?
  • Milla's appetite has changed so much in the past weeks. When she came home she barely touched her food. Now she is constantly on the lookout for anything tasty. I'm feeding her HK Embark and I'm already in the limit for her size. In addition I feed her 2 handfuls of kibble (Orijen) and different treats. This doesn't stop her from crying and following me into every room whenever I have something in my hand, and it gets much worse if I've got any kind of yoghurt/cheese/milk. Is it possible to overfeed a puppy?
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-03-07 18:19:13
  • LosechLosech
    Yes, a puppy can be fed too much. That does sound like a lot of food, but as long as she isn't getting chubby she'll be fine. If she chubs up, cut back on some of the food. Overweight puppies are not good.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I wish Leo would gobble up his food like that >< He still only eats 1 cup a day at 6.5 months or so.

How old is Milla? If Milla is still a young puppy and going to the vet regularly for shots, just work with your vet to see how she's doing weight size.

Otherwise, the general agreement is that shibas are pretty good regulators of their food. However, I think this only applies to kibble... If left a bag of treats, I'm pretty sure Leo will eat it all.

If you're concerned about weight, maybe cut back on the treats or adjust kibble amount.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    @LeoJDHu Sakura is 1.5 years and only eats around 1 cup a day. We free feed though because she was such a picky eater... we did the mealtime thing for about a week and even then she still would just grab a few pieces and run off with them and then come back later.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Yup. I free feed Leo too. I put half a cup down in the morning; he'll usually finish this one by 2-4 PM. Next half cup goes down around 4 PM; he'll finish this one usually by 9-10 PM.

Lol picky picky.

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • SayaSaya
    Maybe up walks and do some training, mental stimulation games to keep the mind busy?
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Apollo is a food addict, but only when it comes to treats or what you're eating at the moment. He's not as obsessed with his dog food. If you think it's becoming a nuisance or you're afraid of her getting too chubby just be a little stricter about treats. It never hurts to bring in a little tough love so your pup doesn't end up with a real problem around food. Keep feeding her the recommended amount of dog food though since that's where her vital nutrients come from.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond is 7 months and gets fed around a cup a day. Technically only 2/3 of a cup (1/3 for breakfast, 1/3 for dinner with salmon oil), but he gets a small handful every time he goes in his crate (morning, afternoon, if I go out, then bed time).

He also gets treats while on walks (a mix of his normal ToTW kibble, some other kibble, Orijen kibble, and Zuke's salmon treats), treats in his kong if he's getting too annoying, and bully sticks or pig ears. The vet said he's gaining weight at a healthy rate for a puppy (not too fast or too slow) and that about a cup a day should be good.

He still acts like he's starving, though. He'll eat his dinner and still lose his mind with excitement to get more kibble as treats. He'll freak out trying to climb furniture to eat the cat food.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Just to compare, how much does Hammond weigh? Him and Leo are about the same age.

I think Leo is 21 lbs last time I weighed him

• BootzBootz
    wtheck 21 lbs and only eating 1 cup a day?

Bootz is 22 lbs and i was worried about only feeding her 1.5 cups a day!
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Lol I dunno how Leo gains his weight...

He ate 3/4 cups as a puppy and eats about 1 cup max a day now. Started him on Wellness Puppy, moved to Taste of the Wild Salmon and now feeding Nature's Variety Instinct. I don't feel like we treat him an a lot either - we don't treat during our walks. We only treat when we do training and I use Zuke's Mini Naturals. Other than that, I sometime give him Instinct cookies and other natural treats (i.e. the lamb air bites from Doggyloot deals, etc).

He goes to the dog park like 2-3 times a week and is walked at least 3 times a day.

I used to worry he doesn't get enough food given his activity. But since he's gaining weight at a good pace I'm no longer worried. It has slowed down though...I don't think he'll be as big as I originally thought he would be. I think at 5 months he was about 20 pounds... Now he's closer to 7 pounds and only roughly 21.5 pounds.

I'm thinking he'll be about 26 pounds at 1 year? What do you think? I'm going to the vet later just for a wellness exam and to chat about his excessive sneezing. We'll see his weight then!

Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2012-03-08 13:09:30
  • AnnaAnna
    @LeoJDHu Hammond's last weigh-in when he got neutered last month was, I think, 17 pounds 2oz (I know the 17 pounds was right, but the ounces I'm iffy on).

I'd guess by now he'd be 18 or 19 pounds. His weight gain has tapered off a bit, but for a while there he was gaining like 1-2 pounds a week, haha.

We're heading to the vet shortly and I'll ask to weight him again and let you know. :)
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    OH NO LEO IS A FATTY!! LOL

I decided to delay his neuter till he's 8 months or so.. :D

• AnnaAnna
    Leo's not a fatty, haha. Hammond just weighed in at 20.2 pounds.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Leo is 21.2 - just got back. Looks like we got healthy shibas!

• Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    1 cup, 3/4 cup? May I know the cup size? When I first got Creamy, the breeder say to feed her 2.5 cup per meal and twice a day. In my mind was the 8 Oz cup that used to feed my cocker spaniel. He saw the look on my face and then proceed to show me the "cup". He says one cup is about 1 Oz, so 2.5Oz twice a day.

Creamy have a bad habit. She gets excited when it's meal time but would just eat partial . Then she stops, ignore the food altogether.

On the first day, gave as the breeder instructed. 2.5 cup but she left about 1/4. I would just throw the leftovers away. The 2nd day, I cut the 2.5 cup to 2, Since it would be a waste to keep throwing away the food. Again she left the little bit. the next day I cut it to 1.5 cup. Same thing.

My dotter suggested we use a new bowl as the one she is currently eating off was one of the many that my Cocker used. So new bowl, same. She would just leave a small bit in the bowl!.

So I decided to sit with her, have the bowl in my hand and low behold, she are everything!. I increase back to 2.5 cups and she would just eat 3/4 and need me to sit with her to finish the balance!.

Question, Am I over feeding her? She is just 2 months old.
    Really fast out.
  • SayaSaya
    2.5 cups? does this mean 2 cups or did you mean 2.5oz?

I don't feed Saya kibble so not sure what kind kibble your feeding different brands have different guidelines, but coarse that is just guideline to follow at first some dogs need less some bit more..

For Saya if she still ate wellness core ocean she'd be getting1 1/4 or 1 3/4 cups kibble per day..

This shows guideline for wellness core puppy..
    http://wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=135#feeding-guidelines

Why throw the remaining kibble away did you soak it with water or mixed caned food with it? If so you could just put it in container and put in fridge for next meal..

When Saya ate kibble sometimes she would not eat all her food I just put it back in the measuring cup for next meal or day depends on when she ate..

Photobucket
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Creamy is on Regal Puppy Bites (Turkey & Rice) http://www.regalpetfoods.com/dog_food.html#puppy

The "cup" is the tiny 1 oz cup. So 2.5 cups = 2.5 oz.

With my Cocker Spaniel, She knew that what she does not finish gets thrown and She cannot keep to eat later. So she goes hungry till the next feed. This Creamy don't seem to mind not having enough. And I am afraid that she will not get enough and will stun her growth.

Anyway, she is now eating everything. Only need me sitting with her for the last bit. Gotta try having someone else to sit with her. Will she eat the little balance?

I soak the food hence I was not to keen on keeping the balance as it my be contaminated.
    Really fast out.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    @Blu_by_u "cups" are a measure of volume and ounces are a measure of weight so it depends on the material you are measuring. When we say 1 cup a day of food we are using a measuring cup not just a regular drinking cup. The bag of kibble should have instructions as to how much kibble your dog should get each day based on the dogs age and weight.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    ok ok..I measured a "cup", it is just about that 1 ounce. And as per feed table on that Regal bag, it's 2.25 till she is 2.5kg Then increase.
    Really fast out.
  • Dakota has always eaten about a cup of kibble a day (she weighs 18.5 lbs. and is full grown). Now, she has decided she does not want the kibble and prefers wet food. How do I translate 1 cup of kibble to "wet" food? Would 1 cup of kibble be equivalent to a 5.5 oz. can of wet food? Somehow, I don't think I understand the translation from kibble to wet re: amount. Or would should I put the wet food into a cup and figure it that way? I'm sure it's more based on calories, etc. but so confusing......
  • britkotsubritkotsu

Kishi is full grown at 17lbs but only eats 2/3 cup per day. It keeps her weight healthy though. As long as the weight is in the right place.
  • @DianaBoston: Canned food has its own feeding guides. Start from where they recommend for the transition. You can adjust from there.

Also, if it's of any help, Zim is 14.5lbs and he eats about a can a day. He, however, is not full grown.
  • Yea, it is such an individual thing. According to the Dog Food Advisor web site food amount calculator:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

Dakota (according to her weight and activity) should get about 543 calories a day... We've been feeding her Fromm Salmon Tunalini and their website says that the salmon tunalini is kcal/cup = 407.34. She'll only eat 1 cup a day (if that), so between that and her treats for being a good girl, she still looks like a good weight to me. I guess your mileage may vary -- as in all things.
  • Oh man. Vi eats 1 cup of wellness core, 6-8 oz of raw, 2-4 oz of cheese, 3-4 oz of greek yogurt a day and she is underweight at 17 lbs. My breeder (seconded by the vet) has suggested I add mac and cheese to that. I've gotten some good tips here and will slowly be adding more fat and carbs to her diet. I think she eats the same number of calories a day as some people I
    know.

But anyway, many shibas are good at self regulating though admittedly with the increase of mill shibas I'm seeing a lot more overweight ones. I think you have to be flexible and pay close attention to your dog rather than going by strict guidelines. Mine is not a particularly active one but she seems to have a high metabolic rate. If we fed her strictly by guidelines she would be severely underweight. The guideline of being able to feel but not see the ribs is a good one. Also at the puppy stage I think it's ok to feed them more since they're growing.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Violet, that's a shocking amount of food for her to be so skinny! My boy (who I think is her great-nephew?), loves mac and cheese, or any kind of noodles. Lol, she is probably one of those dogs who would be rolly polly eating the really crappy stuff.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • tatonkatatonka
    Scratching my head here, esp. due to Tatonka's selective eating.. but he ends up eating ~1.75-2 cups of Taste of the Wild + ~2 sardines (or equivalent in salmon, or premade raw), some yogurt/cottage cheese. He doesn't eat any treats except bully sticks for chewing. I use kibble bits for training since he's about as food motivated as a rock.

He's almost 8 months and around 14-15 lbs.

Seems like he eats more than most of the Shibas mentioned here. He is extremely active however. He's dead as a rock at the end of the day, no chance for Shiba 500s..

I'd like to mention I'm super sensitive to his weight/appearance. I know what he generally looks like and can spot micro-changes. He's been getting lankier..
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-28 02:08:53
  • It's all about individual dogs and their metabolism and the food you give them, etc, so you can't really make judgements. Just go with how your dog looks. If he's too thin, give him more food. And growing dogs can eat a lot!

They all go through a lanky stage at about the age of Tatonka anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • SayaSaya
    Sure a pup can be fed too much some dogs will eat till they get sick..

Some dogs do need more to eat then others or less depends on the dog.

Saya at most eats 6oz or so a day at most 10z or 12oz
    Photobucket
  • BootzBootz
    @tatonka, as shibamistress said go with how your dogs look! I've seen many dogs that get fed less than what Bootz gets fed but their dogs are overweight x_x....whereas Bootz is fit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)