For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Collar on your puppy?
  • FoxyShibaFoxyShiba
    Fox's breeder has suggested that I put a buckle collar on him while he's roaming around my house. I'm not sure of the significance of this other than if he were to escape, which is pretty much impossible! Her adult Shibas do not wear collars, only the puppies. Does anyone else put a collar on their Shiba while they're indoors?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-05 14:01:19
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Not while at home. I think your breeder suggested it so your puppy gets used to wearing a collar.
    犬竜
  • konpeitokonpeito
    I kept a collar on Apollo since the first moment we got him even in the car ride home. He got very used to it as a result and has never had any problems with having one on. I keep a collar or harness on him all the time now because we don't have a fenced backyard so he has to be taken out on a leash. Since he has to go pretty frequently it just makes it easier when he already has something on to hook the leash onto.

Eventually when he needs less potty trips or we fence in our yard, I do want him to walk around the house naked lol. Collars/harnesses are also for if he escapes, knock on wood, because his ID tag is attached to it.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
    Post edited by konpeito at 2012-03-05 16:38:35
  • sunyatasunyata
    My two wear collars with collar tags ALL the time. You never know what might happen. Someone could open a door, not pay attention and out goes your Shiba. Or you might forget to put a collar on before going outside and the puppy gets away from you.

Also, it is a good idea to get your puppy used to wearing a collar as soon as possible.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I let puppies wear collars when I am home, but I use tiny martingales. I take them off when I put them in pens or crates in case they catch. Everybody wears collars when they leave the property, but not generally when in the yard since I don't want collar rub.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • McYogiMcYogi
    Inside and outside for us. Part of our fence blew down the other day (what?!) and my husband didn't see it and was thanking everything holy that all 3 dogs were sitting at the front door waiting to be let in. You never know when they are gonna need identification.

A collar does, however, leave a line of rougher hair on the dog. It depends on their coat quality overall, though. Our girl with plushy coat has much less wear than either boy with their thinner coats.

• StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I leave a collar (rolled leather) with tags on at all times. I do not have mesh crates so no worries with hang up. When out on a walk I have a harness or martingale with boomerang tag attached on that clips to the leash as well. The rolled tag collar is never used for hooking on a leash.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-03-05 20:26:59

Cycle Dog collar that Bowser wears. He uses a harness on walks, but he always wears this one.

"Our Latch-Lock collar features our patent pending airline seatbelt style buckle. Strength tested over 500lbs it is the thinnest, lightest, and strongest quick release metal buckle available."

Bowser has broke plastic latch colors. This one has been amazing!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Is that the one that has the bottle opener built in to it? :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LosechLosech
    Juneau and Sasha always have their collars on. Conker almost never wears his but that's because I have no idea where it is right now. And, I like his neck fur without a ring, so I don't really like to leave it on.
    When he was a pup, I left it on so he could get used to it. Same with a harness, and a leash. (Had him just drag it around. Also made a good catch handle if I needed to grab him quick.)
  • @sunyata haha yeah. Not sure why I would need that. It does make it a lot easier to clip on a leash when we go out for a quick potty break
  • Zim always has his collar and tags on. I'd feel like I was tempting fate if I took them off for more than a bath.
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond always wears a regular buckle collar. It's got three tags on it: his rabies vaccination tag, his microchip tag, and his name/my phone number tag. It's rather loose and sits low on his neck, so I'm sure if he ever got loose and caught it on something he'd slip out of it, but I like knowing it's there.

For walks I always leave his leash attached to his martingale, hanging on a hook by the door, which I then just slip on and off whenever we come in or out.
  • One word of warning, as I just found out the other day. Saru's sire Bobby was wearing his collar in his crate while his owners left their female roaming downstairs, and left. Bobby fought so hard to get out of his crate that he hung himself. Please just be aware that there are risks to having a collar on the dog when you are out of the house. As for myself I have my dogs go "naked" around the house and in their kennels, but I put them on when ever they go out.
  • LosechLosech
    That's a sad story.
    And also why you should never leave a collar on a crated dog. It even says to remove the collar before putting the dog into the crate on Conker's crate pan.
  • Bless all your dogs for wearing collars!!!! I only have a choker, which is what I'm guessing you guys call martingales, on my boy. His neck is so thick and his hair so thick that he can slip his head out of a collar and if he can't be bothered gettn it off he just walks around shaken his head yes I have tried several different collars he is microchipped if he gets out but he is pretty good like that he has only got out 1time and that's bc some1left the gate open. He was easy to catch tho he was just prancing around on his way to the shops where we go for our walks lol
    5 kids and a shiba, call me crazy, but i wouldnt change if for the world
  • LosechLosech
    Generally, a choke or slip collar has no restriction on how tightly it can close on a dog's neck. They are normally made of chain, but sometimes leather or nylon.

Matringale collars have a piece of material between two rings that can only tighten a certain amount. The middle piece can be fabric or chain. Some are quite thick, or taper down where the between material is. They can also be fully chain, rolled leather, or have padding, amongst other things.

Another type is the limited slip collar which is similar to a matringale, but differs in how the slip is constructed. Leather, nylon, and fabric, and sometimes padding are used with these collars.

Conker is a brat and can escape his collar even when adjusted tightly. I have about six collars for him and the only two he cannot escape is a slip chain I modified so it cannot actually choke him (like a limited slip), and a home-made chain martingale with a buckle instead of snap or sliding adjuster. But due to his slipperyness with collars, I do not use one to walk him. I do not want to actually test whither that collar really works or not, so I use a harness. The collars are only for tags or if I need to leash him quickly for some reason.
    My other two dogs have regular flat collars but are walked on thick chain martingales when not wearing their backpacks or hiking.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-03-06 08:37:36
  • SayaSaya
    So sorry about Bobby! :(

I don't leave Saya's collar on in house, but if I got her outside I have her wear her collar.

She doesn't door bolt and as pup we worked on it.

As a puppy she wore her harness and collar to get used to it.

Also if you use prong or choke collars might want take them off when going into a dog park.. Dogs can get hurt when wrestling and playing.

Owner malamute kept the dog's prong collar on he started a argument with a golden retriever and luckily the dogs were fine, but if the retriever bite the collar and got stuck they could have gotten injured bad.

I never leave collars on either dogs when they go into their crate even though Saya is calm and happy to lay and chew on her toys while I go do things she might lay down against the crate and get stuck then panic. Not worth it.

You can always put collar back on once dog gets out of crate.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • hkfirewolfhkfirewolf
    Since Jade despises the harness and the martingale, we use a buckle collar on her when she goes for a walk or trains. I understand that there is a risk but she never attempts to slip the collar. At home she is usually "naked." If anyone has advice on how to get her to like the martingale, it would be appreciated.
    Owned and loved by "Jade"
    ~ DOB: 5/18/11~ Cream Shiba ~
  • sunyatasunyata
    @hkfirewolf - Is there a difference in the material for the martingale collar?

You might try a limited slip collar instead, which is what I use. The collar lays flat against their neck with no loop of fabric or chain that might cause some discomfort.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @hkfirewolf

My guess would be Jade does not like something going over her head like a martingale or harness.

I would try showing her the martingale, then give her yummy treats and as she gets excited to see the martingale, slowly get it closer and closer to her head and treats. As you progress, you will be finally be able to put the martingale over her head. Put it on her head very briefly and take it off and treats before she can object. Do this a few times until she is comfortable with the collar on her head for a short duration. Take small steps and eventually, you will be able to put the martingale collar all the way on.

Only move forward to the next step when she is totally comfortable at the current step. Small incremental step proceeding at a reasonable pace is key to your success.

You can do the same thing with harness. Keep the session short and fun. Depending on her comfort level, you may need to do several short sessions over a period of time. Always remember to end a session on a positive note.

The same principle works for all training! Good luck.

ps. If it is the over-the-head part that she does not like, you can get a martingale with quick release buckle to get around it, but I would still suggest you trying to desensitize her with a regular martingale collar. It is good practice for both of you. :)
  • FoxyShibaFoxyShiba
    Thank you for all of your feedback! Fox is fine with wearing collars. He's very good on his martingale, but I like to give him the freedom of not having to wear one when he's indoors. I put a buckle collar on him and while he accepted it, I felt so sorry for him that I took it off! He won't stray too far from me (for now!) so I'm not too worried about him bolting.

Photobucket

• AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My dog always wears his. The only time he doesn't is when we let him sleep outside of his pen; he'll come up to our room and do his Shiba shakes and make a lot of noise so it's for selfish reasons... Haha We like for him to have it on as precaution; if we need to grab him quickly/easily, in case he bolts the door, etc...

He seems to "miss" it sometimes when hes not wearing it, if he sees it he'll stare at it sometimes.
  • Mine have really nice leather collars they wear all the time with their id and rabies tags on them. It doesn't seem to give them too much of a collar ring, and anyway, since they wear them all the time, I wouldn't notice it. Their leather collars are loose enough that they can slip over their heads--I do that on purpose so they never are trapped or caught by their collars (but it does mean that everynow and then one comes in from outside collarless, usually Bel after playing with Oskar, who likes to grab her collar in his mouth, and then I have to go find it). They wear a martingale collar or harness when they go for walks.

Oskar the Akita has longer hair than the Shibas and his hair matts, so he wears a rolled leather collar in the house.
  • MegaenMegaen
    Both my shibas always wear there collars/tags only time they come off is for a bath.
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko only wears hers when out of the house and on walks, otherwise she is collar free inside the house... I don't want her to catch on anything and I don't want the collar to wear away at her coat.

Though I didn't have Etsuko as a puppy, I completed understand and support the idea of getting them to wear the collar often to get them used to it! Just supervise!
  • @losec thNks for the definitions it gets hard when countries have their own names for things or different things to us. Yes I have a chocker that we walk with other wise he is naked. I do hAve some loverly in new condition collars that are making great back yard ornaments.. Lol glad I'm not the only one who has a collar slipping problem. I wAs really disappointed I was gonna get one of those gorges diamonte collars for him.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I do not own a Shiba but my male German Shepherd does not wear a collar inside the house but I do keep a collar on my female Shepherd, she is a puppy and she's naughty so I have to be able to grab her. :)
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • LosechLosech
    @jo_n_tartchi I want one of those black leather spiked collars but he can slip them. One of these days I'm gonna make my own spikey collar that integrates a martingale section so I can still walk him on it.
  • @losec a spikey collar would look so cool, I can just see your boy with the whole "bad boy" image haha to cute. If you do manage to make one, let us no you'll be rich maken non slip fashion collars for shibas. It's definitely something you should work on
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    My male has a black leather spiked collar and my female has a pink leather spiked collar.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • BootzBootz
    How tight do you guys keep the collars on your shibas?

Bootz never slips out of her collar, only time was when she ran away while My bf and I were on vacation. I know the general rule is to have it loose enough to fit couple fingers in. But the fact that shibas have thick coats makes it look really tight on the neck.

Bootz' collar looks tight on her neck but i can almost fit my hand...almost up to my wrist in the space between the collar + neck (small asian hands).

Note: We walk Bootz with her harness now, so the collar is only for identification purposes.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-03-09 19:28:33
  • RyanRyan
    Sorry for the resurrection:

Bella wears a house collar(so far only to get her used to it), and she only walks in a harness. She is chipped and registered.

Given how easy it is for her to slip her collar, does it provide any value to her safety?
    I would think it being a choking hazard is more of a risk than any perceived gain in ease of identification- all the details are linked to the chip.

Can anyone assist with the decision? Having her naked at home is also better for her coat :)

-R
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I use both a collar and harness outside. Both of my guys are chipped too. My thinking has been that if my guys backed out of their harness the tags would still be on them. Someone might rescue them, take them home and never think to check for a chip. If their ID was on the collar, this might not happen. Granted they might slip their collars too but hopefully it might take some time.
    犬竜
  • BootzBootz
    The time it takes for somebody to bring the dog in to have the microchip ID scanned compared to just reading the tag can be days. Speaking from experience, a couple hours is already hell.

Like Inu Ryuu said, there is a chance people will just take the dog in if there are no tags on them, and try to keep them.
  • MooseMoose
    Bootz said:

How tight do you guys keep the collars on your shibas?

The general rule of thumb is that you should be able to slip TWO fingers snugly under the collar. Any more is too tight, any less is too loose. However, it is better to be too loose than too tight. I hated seeing collars on dogs that were so tight that all the fur rubbed off around the neck! Poor babies. IF you're unsure, I know the vet clinic i worked at would adjust the collars for our clients, since many people didn't know how tight/loose to keep them. Maybe your vet will help?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)