For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Collar on your puppy?
  • FoxyShibaFoxyShiba
    Fox's breeder has suggested that I put a buckle collar on him while he's roaming around my house. I'm not sure of the significance of this other than if he were to escape, which is pretty much impossible! Her adult Shibas do not wear collars, only the puppies. Does anyone else put a collar on their Shiba while they're indoors?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-05 14:01:19
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Post edited by konpeito at 2012-03-05 16:38:35
  • sunyatasunyata
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • McYogiMcYogi
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I leave a collar (rolled leather) with tags on at all times. I do not have mesh crates so no worries with hang up. When out on a walk I have a harness or martingale with boomerang tag attached on that clips to the leash as well. The rolled tag collar is never used for hooking on a leash.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-03-05 20:26:59
  • sunyatasunyata
  • LosechLosech
    Juneau and Sasha always have their collars on. Conker almost never wears his but that's because I have no idea where it is right now. And, I like his neck fur without a ring, so I don't really like to leave it on.
    When he was a pup, I left it on so he could get used to it. Same with a harness, and a leash. (Had him just drag it around. Also made a good catch handle if I needed to grab him quick.)
  • @sunyata haha yeah. Not sure why I would need that. It does make it a lot easier to clip on a leash when we go out for a quick potty break
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond always wears a regular buckle collar. It's got three tags on it: his rabies vaccination tag, his microchip tag, and his name/my phone number tag. It's rather loose and sits low on his neck, so I'm sure if he ever got loose and caught it on something he'd slip out of it, but I like knowing it's there.

For walks I always leave his leash attached to his martingale, hanging on a hook by the door, which I then just slip on and off whenever we come in or out.
  • One word of warning, as I just found out the other day. Saru's sire Bobby was wearing his collar in his crate while his owners left their female roaming downstairs, and left. Bobby fought so hard to get out of his crate that he hung himself. Please just be aware that there are risks to having a collar on the dog when you are out of the house. As for myself I have my dogs go "naked" around the house and in their kennels, but I put them on when ever they go out.
  • LosechLosech
    That's a sad story.
    And also why you should never leave a collar on a crated dog. It even says to remove the collar before putting the dog into the crate on Conker's crate pan.
  • LosechLosech
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-03-06 08:37:36
  • SayaSaya
  • hkfirewolfhkfirewolf
  • sunyatasunyata
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • FoxyShibaFoxyShiba
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My dog always wears his. The only time he doesn't is when we let him sleep outside of his pen; he'll come up to our room and do his Shiba shakes and make a lot of noise so it's for selfish reasons... Haha We like for him to have it on as precaution; if we need to grab him quickly/easily, in case he bolts the door, etc...

He seems to "miss" it sometimes when hes not wearing it, if he sees it he'll stare at it sometimes.
  • MegaenMegaen
    Both my shibas always wear there collars/tags only time they come off is for a bath.
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko only wears hers when out of the house and on walks, otherwise she is collar free inside the house... I don't want her to catch on anything and I don't want the collar to wear away at her coat.

Though I didn't have Etsuko as a puppy, I completed understand and support the idea of getting them to wear the collar often to get them used to it! Just supervise!
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • LosechLosech
    @jo_n_tartchi I want one of those black leather spiked collars but he can slip them. One of these days I'm gonna make my own spikey collar that integrates a martingale section so I can still walk him on it.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • BootzBootz
    How tight do you guys keep the collars on your shibas?

Bootz never slips out of her collar, only time was when she ran away while My bf and I were on vacation. I know the general rule is to have it loose enough to fit couple fingers in. But the fact that shibas have thick coats makes it look really tight on the neck.

Bootz' collar looks tight on her neck but i can almost fit my hand...almost up to my wrist in the space between the collar + neck (small asian hands).

Note: We walk Bootz with her harness now, so the collar is only for identification purposes.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-03-09 19:28:33
  • RyanRyan
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • BootzBootz
    The time it takes for somebody to bring the dog in to have the microchip ID scanned compared to just reading the tag can be days. Speaking from experience, a couple hours is already hell.

Like Inu Ryuu said, there is a chance people will just take the dog in if there are no tags on them, and try to keep them.
  • MooseMoose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)