For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba Misconceptions
  • konpeitokonpeito
    This is kind of a minor rant, and I hope it's allowed, but I also wanted to know if this has happened to other people. I also couldn't find a topic for it, but please feel free to redirect me.

Where we live, not many people know Shibas. Most of the time when people ask me what breed he is and I tell them, they're still confused lol. But I also get a lot of "He's a Shiba? Hmm... do you know what you're doing?". I know this is a stubborn breed, but Apollo has been great. Any misbehaving can be chalked up to puppy behavior right now, and we're always sure to teach him what's acceptable and what's not. Plus he's been fairly easy to train since he's so food motivated. Recently I went to PetCo twice in the last two months to get Apollo's shots done, and I couldn't help but get offended when some of the employees were making comments about how hard they are to deal with. Some of them were kind of like disguised insults. Today one of the ladies told me "I was worried because some of them have terrible temperaments, but he [Apollo] is very nice." She also asked me if he'd destroyed our house yet, which isn't even a problem for Apollo. Another lady was walking by the line taking the dogs' temperatures, and she was having a little trouble getting Apollo's temperature at his ear so another employee came up and held onto him. I offered to hold him because Apollo is fine with me doing so and would've felt more safe, (he was mostly nervous/scared because some strangers were trying to grab him and stick this weird device in his ear) but the lady said she could do it as if I didn't know how to handle my own dog. One of the ladies administering shots said she was afraid he would bite me if I held him and they couldn't be responsible for such liabilities, but he behaved so much better when I was holding him at the table for shots than if someone else was. He didn't even Shiba scream when he got the Rabies shot, I was so proud. I can't tell you how many times I get the "Get him used to touching/handling" lecture from Petco/Petsmart employees. Apollo lets me hold him, play with his ears, paws, lets me put on his harness, etc. He used to be a little terror about it, admittedly, but slowly each time he gets better and better and now barely puts up a fight, so I'm optimistic.

To the lady who said some Shibas have terrible temperaments, I was trying so hard not to be offended and refrained from giving a rebuttal that the temperaments were probably due to poor training and uninformed owners, especially from around here. Not to mention bad breeding (I mean, my state has one of the worst puppy mill kennels on the east coast, RightPuppy). The lady also said I must have been "lucky", as if a well-behaved Shiba is one in a million. I know I might be biased, but Shibas are great dogs and it's really upsetting that people often misunderstand them or treat them badly. I hope having Apollo around places like PetCo and Petsmart can change some misconceptions. He's obviously not a model citizen yet, he's still so young and learning, but he's much more well-behaved than most people expect him to be. I just really hate how the preconceived notions of Shibas around here is "unruly, misbehaving, impossible-to-train, and destructive". I have more comments from employees that I could bring up, but I think I should stop here.

I don't know, am I just being too sensitive about this? I know it's good to get Apollo accustomed to being touched, but it's a no-brainer to me that he's not that okay with strangers probing him. He loves getting petted and doted on by strangers. As most people on the forums know, Shibas have a tendency to be aloof and be trustful and loyal to their owners and people they know well, so I fully understand why Apollo would react the way he did. Shibas are extremely different from Labradors or Pitbulls. But just because they're different doesn't mean they're bad dogs, not that I need to tell any of you Shiba lovers that haha.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
    Post edited by konpeito at 2012-03-03 20:30:33
  • AnnaAnna
    Well, don't take it personally. They're speaking from experience and are trying to help themselves and also help you. My vet gave me the same warning, except his was more balanced:

"Make sure you socialize him. Make sure you get him used to being handled by strangers. I'd strongly suggest enrolling him in training classes. We have several Shibas here. Some of them are the best dogs we see. Others have to be muzzled as soon as they walk in and are absolute terrors."

So I don't hold it against PetCo employees when they get cautious, because like you said, it's a problem with the owner and a failure to socialize or train properly. But PetCo probably sees a WHOLE LOT of dogs with that type of owner, so of course they're going to develop a caution-bias.

And I think the "lucky" still stands. I'd classify myself as "lucky" with Hammond. He's a very food-motivated, friendly, confident dog, which makes my efforts to train him much easier. Even when we meet other Shiba owners they'll comment "Oh wow, he's so unusual for a Shiba!" as he runs up to them, tail wagging, and licks their hands and face.

So yeah. It's not pure luck to have a well-behaved dog, but you can get lucky with a naturally well-tempered pup to start with. Even good breeders can produce shy/timid/fearful dogs which will require a lot more time and effort to get to the same point a confident puppy starts out at.

And like you said, if you're in an area with lots of irresponsible owners and even worse breeders, then, while it might not be fair that they're making assumptions, I'd try to take it more as constructive criticism than an insult. When my vet first commented on Hammond's temper tantrums (at his 10 week old visit, so he was a bit of a brat), I was a bit "Eff you guy, my dog is perfect". But I still took his advice, made sure to hold Hammond a lot, put him in classes, etc. Basically all stuff I was planning to do ANYWAYS, but I just kept a more careful eye on things. At his most recent visit (around 28 weeks old), the vet complimented him on his behavior and how much his attitude has improved. So then I got to feel all smug and proud. :D
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Here's my two cents on the subject.

First off, I strongly believe that dogs are born with an innate personality to a certain degree and genetics could play a strong part in temperament.

Secondly, the majority of people you come by in society are ignorant in a myriad of ways. By this notion, there are some whom may have heard something about the breed or had one experience with them; thus basing their assumptions on a general basis amongst the entire breed from that single bit of knowledge/experience.

Could it be viewed as profiling? Perhaps. But that's just the way humans are and also one reason as to why dogs are better beings than people in almost every single way.

Anyhow, don't let it get to you on a personal level...it's not worth it no matter how you look at it. That is to say, unless you enjoy letting minuscule things get on your nerves.

;)
  • kaysejeankaysejean
    I think these two here have covered this pretty well. I think the best thing you can take away from this is, "Good job! You're raising a good dog. Keep up the great work".
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Personally, if the vet you take Apollo to makes you feel uncomfortable, then it likely makes him just as uncomfortable (dogs are good at reading people). One of our first vets was a horror. I went to her because it was close to our place, seemed clean and friendly and 2 of her first appointments were there... then the 3rd was the last. The vet began berating us for how horribly behaved our then 4 month old puppy was being about getting shots done and how we baby her and she doesnt see us as being dominant. She berated both my husband and I and then pulled the 'ceasar milan' stuff out and I nearly punched her. She needed her shots so we did that and have never been back.

We have a new vet now and everyone loves her, despite her fear of vets (due to the previous one) and our new vet is very understanding. Sakura goes in there with little anxiety and we don't get lectured everytime we go.

If possible, I suggest you and your little fellow check out a new vet, hopefully one you are both comfortable with that understands the breed and does not make generalizations.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • ladyritaladyrita
    I hear you Konpeito! When we first got Tsumo (despite being warned) one of my siblings put him on the couch to cuddle him and of course being an excitable puppy, Tsumo decided to jump off. Being very new owners, we immediately rushed him to the vet as he was limping and crying as if he was in terrible pain. We got there and the emergency vet first and foremost stated his breed is difficult and like yours said something about poor temperament (I was too worried to argue) then proceeded to pull at his legs and flex/extend/rotate at the joints. He yelped heaps at one stage, tried to mouth her (no growling, just one of those "let go" types) and she told us "hold his muzzle down when he tries to bite". This made him really upset and he let out his shiba scream until she let go. When she had flexed his knee to the point where it really hurt, he tried to mouth her again, this time she grabbed his muzzle closed and when she let go, he nipped her with his sharp puppy teeth (this time he got his target) . Not deep but he did draw a bit of blood.

She immediately wrote down that he was "aggressive" and when we went to our normal vet for the first time, she insisted on muzzling the poor little fella. Another male vet at our normal clinic saw him for his 3rd round of shots, he didn't muzzle Tsumo and our little chappy didn't bite at all. Really annoying for me that the emergency vet's "write up" was completely biased in my opinion. If I had my mouth forcibly held shut, I'd be furious too! Yet it was taken into consideration before the 1st vet had gotten to know Tsumo! He's seen other vets at that clinic and hasn't bitten anyone since. We refuse to see the original one. It was a once off thing yet he has been labelled for life!

I've learnt to speak up for him now. I'll never let ANYONE touch him the way the emergency vet did! I honestly take these "professional" opinions with a grain of salt...if a qualified vet would do that to a hurt puppy, what do they know? Besides you and I both know our dogs are friendly towards people, they both like cuddling up to strangers. I've been asked several times if his breed is a "family breed" because Tsumo is so loving and patient so try not to get too upset. We're all here to listen to your legitimate rants anyway :)
  • InoushiInoushi
    @ladyrita, did you demand that paperwork? Its not good for a vet to have that documented. If tsumo ever accidently scratches someone what that vet wrote can count against you. I would try to get that paper trail destroyed. Its silly for a vet to write that. Kenshin acts like a complete jerk at the vet but they never put that in his file. Especially for a puppy.

I also think a lot of people take the don't touch me attitude as being agressive. Society seems to expect all dogs to want to be touched by strangers, small cute dogs especially. Kenshin is one shiba who is not friendly, and it has nothing to do with poor training. He was socialized extensively as a pup, was handled by many strangers, but two idiots had to ruin it. One guy grabbed his tail, and another tried to steal him from me. He never really seemed to get over it, especially since he never went crazy for strangers. If I take him to a park or on a trail, he is more tolorable of strangers, and he has his moments where he meets someone that he feels must pet him.

after being around a lot of shibas at work, stranger friendly ones seem to be the exception not the rule, so I don't think people should get offended. I actually think it should be something said when you meet someone showing interest in the breed. That your dog is only this way because of breeding, temperment, or training.
    Shibas are all of those things people have said at least in my experience. That doesn't make them any less than the amazing dogs they are, they are just different. Besides, sugar coating it could have someone get a dog under the wrong pretenses, which is not what anyone wants.
  • konpeitokonpeito
    I try not to take it too personally. It's just that I know there are plenty of well-behaved Shibas, many of which are owned by the awesome members on the forum who have been willing to put the time and effort into understanding the breed and working with them. I just didn't like that they were putting a pretty big, final label on Shibas as a whole and judging my dog before they even got to know him. I guess I can understand how it's caution, but it can easily be taken as an insult to the owner. I know, I'm being a little sensitive haha. I'll just have to take it as a compliment from now on.

@Adonia1986 our current vet I actually do trust. She's not very knowledgable when it comes to Shibas, but she was an absolute trooper during his first checkup and second round of shots even though he screamed. She could tell a lot of his behavior was out of fear and worked patiently with him. I just hadn't been going to her lately because PetCo happened to be offering the affordable vaccination services right when Apollo needed his 3rd and 4th shots, so we went there instead. Sorry if that was confusing haha.

@ladyrita oh man, poor guy! ): being so young that must have been even more scary for him. Like @Inoushi said, yeah a lot of times fear and standoffishness gets misinterpreted as aggression. Most people would have probably labelled Apollo as such if they'd seen him at 9-10 weeks when he was absolutely terrible about being touched. We couldn't even get the leash on him without getting bitten, which made taking him out to potty really difficult. Working with him over the last two months has helped tremendously though, but only because WE have earned his trust and others haven't. In general the breed is usually not as docile as others, which I sort of appreciate. I just love that kind of independence in their personality.
  • When I first took tartchi to the vet the first thing the vet said was" oh a shiba u don't c many of these does he run away alot" then the rest of the visit was " oh he is standing still" "oh he is friendly" it's like she was surprised he was well behaved. Then she said he was heavy, that's when I said new vet
    5 kids and a shiba, call me crazy, but i wouldnt change if for the world
  • Miyumi_PupMiyumi_Pup
    We just had this happen. We were at a drive thru at a Dunkin Donuts. The window guy looked in our car and asked if the dogs were Shibas. He leaned over and stuck out a hand and the dogs jumped into in my lap to lick his hand through the open window. Then he said "I thought Shibas were Mean dogs. My friend has one"
    Heather, Logan, and two Shibas named Miyumi & Yoshiro
  • mattzmattz
    As others have said, try not to take it personally and try to see things from their perspective... Though, I'm in the same boat as you as far as sensitivity goes... I consider Etsuko as my child, my daughter and my best friend. I won't get into it, but I ranted in another thread about being treated a similar way at PetSmart all the while the employees are telling you this or that and it's all stuff you already know about YOUR OWN DOG, as if you're not the owner?

I encourage you to look into new vets and find a place where you are comfortable, dogs and ESPECIALLY shibas are really good at reading people and (as mentioned above) if you're uncomfortable your shiba companion is also most likely uncomfortable as they can sense your mood.

Find a place that works for you, try to take advice when given (if appropriate) and if you feel compelled enough stand up for your dog and defend yourselves against said employees/comments. Do what's best for you and your curly tail!!!
  • Just a note on vets: my Akita is afraid of the vet because early on he had to go and have a very badly broken toenail worked on. So now he doesn't want to go in the door even. We've tried luring with treats and toys, and it often doesn't work, so sometimes it comes down to this: I'm pulling him forward and the vet tech gets behind him and pushes from behind just to get him in the door. It looks like a cartoon! But when a 120 pound dog doesn't want to go in, sometimes extreme measures are called for!

• Gadget1382Gadget1382
    A 120 Pound Akita is a decent amount to try and dead lift :p
  • I get those type of comments a lot, both from strangers and also from a previous vet. The vet was easy enough to correct - I simply took my business elsewhere. She wanted Max to be sedated prior to coming in for a visit. Max is not people aggressive at all! I told her it was her job, you know, as a vet, to figure out how to work with the animals. End of story with her…

When strangers have made that type of comment, I like to sweetly ask them about their obnoxious, destructive children who scream and act out in public and then I question their parenting abilities. That usually shuts it down pretty quick! My dogs have better manners than the majority of toddlers out there!
  • I guess I'm lucky in the sense that not many people where I live have seen a Shiba before or know much about them. But that also means that I am subject to dirty looks when strangers do the whole 'aww isn't he cute!', try to pet / grab Kenji and he backs away like 'uhh what are you doing?'. I would love to know where this belief in society has come from that all dogs should like being petted / pulled / hugged by everyone they meet, else they are clearly dysfunctional.
  • SayaSaya
    Wanting the dog sedated? WTF? I mean I can understand if the dog is aggressive and really defensive, but come on..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • @Gadget....yeah, and when we get in the vet's office, the vets get to lift him! *lol*

I don't actually have a problem with vets asking to sedate a dog. I don't think it should be done all the time, of course, but if it is going to make the visit easier for all concerned, I don't think giving the dog a very light dose of an anti-anxiety drug is at all a problem. I mean, hell, I have to do it to go the dentist!* *lol* What my vet said--and this seems to be true--is that if the dog is very mildly sedated (what my vets call the "one margarita effect") and the visit is uneventful and not stressful, then it is possible that after several visits, they won't even need to be sedated anymore. We did see this happen with Toby for awhile, but then he got scared one time with just the threat (to him) of having his toenails cut, and now he's back to needing to be sedated again. But he had gotten so he went in pretty easily...nervous, but not terrified, and was pretty easy to handle for awhile.

Anyway, for me, it is not an unreasonable request if the dog needs it, and if it will make it easier for everyone. I don't see how any vet is automatically going to be able to make every single dog that comes into their practice comfortable and easy to work with, so if they need to muzzle some or sedate some, well, to me that does not seem unreasonable, as long as the vet is good in other ways (otherwise gentle with the dogs, communicative with the people, etc).

*and my dentist visits really are a good parallel here. I have PTSD that is tied in with dental issues (lost teeth) and I get shaky and freeze up as soon as I get in a dentist office, and the whole thing starts--total fear and tears and trembling even if they're not really doing anything to me. So finally I found a dentist who gives me valium, and I take it, and the dental visits are easy and not scary, and I got to the point where I can sometimes go in and not have the valium and not have the freezing up and fear (as long as there are no needles involved!)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-03-09 13:36:00
  • cli6cli6cli6cli6
    The foster dad for the shiba I'm looking at said that they were gonna put him down after the state mandated time w.o even showing him cause the people at the shelter said he was aloof and didn't seem too interested in people but after the foster took him home he showed signs of proper socialization. the people at the shelter just didn't care for the shiba personality. :-(
  • Oh, that's a TERRIBLE story! He might have been euthanized just for being a Shiba! :(
  • This same stuff is why I always get so peevish about people hating cats. All my cats loved me, who cares if they love everyone else? I mean, yeah, I'm glad Zim loves everyone because it makes his life easier, but not wanting everyone all over you doesn't make you a bad animal. :P

That said, I never get offended by the insinuation that Shibas have bad temperaments. Frankly, I figure most of the ones that people at PetSmart and whatnot meet DO have bad temperaments because they're probably from mills. The fact that these people care enough to want dogs socialized and whatnot despite their "bad breed" is a positive to me---but then I've never been in a situation where Zim has been judged without being met for being a Shiba. If someone wanted to muzzle him, for instance, I'd be pretty irate and I don't think it's unjustified for those who have been treated that way to feel that way.
  • not sure if this has been posted here before...but I thought it was a good chuckle.

I'm assuming the top middle picture is supposed to be blobs of hair

• It's been posted here somewhere before, but it's still pretty funny, and made me smile to see it again! And to show how true this is, Bel got into the toilet paper today, so it looked like the last picture upstairs, and Toby is blowing his coat, so it's like pic 2 around here!
  • I saw that book once, and was highly amused!
  • LosechLosech
    HAHA! Perfect! If Conker ever gets lost (I really hope he doesn't...) Then I'll use "mug shots" on his flyers.

Yeah, Conker gets the "aggressive dog" label a lot. I explain to people that if he really was aggressive then we wouldn't be hanging around. Sure, he's a snarky jerk when he first meets dogs, but he has had some bad experiences with other dogs jumping him from the getgo and if you know that, you'll understand why he does that.
    After he's gotten over being a punk, he is fine with 99% of the dogs he meets. It's quite rare that he truly doesn't get along with another dog and acts aggressive for real.

At the vets office the other day, I asked if they get Shibas in very often, and if they are nightmares. No, they don't get them in often, and while they have heard that they are terrible, they are just aloof and don't usually want that odd person poking them in private places. So at least my vets office knows better than to believe hype.

Conker was "okay", he didn't want them touching him AT ALL but would take treats and wasn't freaking out. Until they chipped him and brought out the scanner. The tech and I had to hold him still while she looked for the chip to be sure it was registering right. Conker DID NOT want that thing near him, and I'll bet he would have bit if he could have.
    That right there makes me nervous about him ever getting lost and picked up by a shelter, if they can catch him that is. With me around his reactions are toned down, but when I'm not present, he flips out really bad. So I can see him being labeled as "unsocialized" due to his extreme stranger fear (when I'm not around), or even worse, "aggressive" or "dangerous" when really, he's just completely freaked out of his mind.

I haven't had anyone be all "That's a Shiba. You know what you're doing? Those are blah blah blah..." since I tend to cut them off before they can even say much.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Haha... @Inu Ryuu, when my boyfriend was working at a used bookstore, they got a copy of that in stock. The title is basically worthless (1 cent used paperback on Amazon) so he cut out the cover and just brought that home. It's tacked up on our refrigerator now.

Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • cli6cli6cli6cli6
    @shibamistress yea they were like this dog isn't eager to please and he looks too antisocial.
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @cli6cli6 That's so sad. I'm really glad he's finally being given the fair chance he deserves to live with a loving owner.

@jenlloyd_uk Exactly!! When we go to the dog park or even just see dogs around the neighborhood, I don't get offended when the dog doesn't beg for affection or even when I call them over and they just walk away from me, which has happened quite often. At worst I just feel like "Oh... I really wanted to pet them lol", but if they don't want to no unwritten rule says dogs have to be overly friendly and love everyone who's not their owner. And I don't judge them for it either.

I really don't see why people seem to think it's okay to make generalizations about ANY dog breed. While I believe in the innate behavior of breeds to a certain extent, every dog is different. You don't see me going up to someone's Pitbull and going "Well, I need to be careful around your dog because they're known to have problems with aggression and can snap. You know that right?" All the Pitbulls I've met so far are very sweet, albeit some were a little excitable, but you don't see me going up to the owner and giving them a lecture about how they're raising their dog especially if their dog has done no harm to me whatsoever. It's a lack of courtesy and just dog owner etiquette when I see that happening.

Today we had another little incident at the dog park. Apollo has been extremely shy around the other dogs, but has never shown aggression or anything. He'll usually just hide to separate himself or fall into a submissive position. Either way he always runs and doesn't try to fight back. He was kind of shook up at one point because these two dogs were chasing him trying to play but he kept avoiding them. Eventually, they'd both cornered him near the fence and he was screaming even though he wasn't hurt and neither of them had even touched him. At this point though, I stepped in and shooed the other dogs away and calmed Apollo down. We walked back to the picnic tables together where he just kind of huddled into my body while I pet him, and two ladies near us started talking. One of the ladies pointed Apollo out and asked if he was a Shiba, and the other lady answered that he was and went on to "explain the breed", an explanation which had a lot of large generalizations and incorrect information, like just basic stuff you'd read out of a little "Shiba Inu" section of an amateur dog breed guide. This lady had been talking smack all day in the most condescending tone about the other dogs, so I just kind of rolled my eyes and let it be, acting like I hadn't heard her.

On the other hand, we met a few people who knew a bit about the breed and commented on how beautiful and intelligent Shibas are. Now I'm not saying everyone has to love Apollo and Shibas and think they're the most wonderful breed in the world. But especially when meeting people and their dogs casually, I give people the same amount of courtesy I expect back. I always compliment people on their dogs (not just because, I really just love dogs and think they're beautiful!) and I don't go off talking to them like I know more about their own dog than they do.

While people say they're not for "first time dog owners", I basically AM a first time dog owner since I had pretty much no role in taking care of our old dog. And despite the Shiba stubbornness and "difficulty", a 19 year old girl with pretty much no dog experience besides really loving animals was able to earn the trust of this unruly dog.

Looong, post was long. I just kind of went off onto another tangent/rant I guess haha. I keep running into these people and poor Apollo has no idea! It's okay because I love him anyways. Thanks for all the feedback though, guys.
  • To be honest most shiba web sites put me off from getting one, and they certainly don't make them appealing. I was excited and dreading it. I had second thoughts about getting one, but had nagged my hubby so much I didn't want to say I don't want a anymore so I just hoped that it wasn't as bad as they say. I'm still waiting for tartchi to do something "shiba" he is just to perfect.
  • LosechLosech
    @jo_n_tartchi You know what's kinda funny? The first Shiba I met was doing all the "bad" stuff Shiba owners warn people about. Screaming, thrashing, being stubborn and refusing to walk anywhere, howling at the kennel door and digging in the water pans, trying to escape... She was generally being a huge PIA (I worked in a grooming shop when I met my first Shiba).
    And that is what made me want one. All the nonsense that other people usually get rid of a dog over, is what I found appealing.
  • @losec, wow that sounds like quite a display, but being a groomer u have probably seen lots of bad dogs I bet it was just the fact that shibas still look stunning even while being naughty. I must say tho the stubboness is attractive
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @jo_n_tartchi @Losech Have to say, I agree. I was attracted to the Shiba Inu look at first. Then as I read more and more about them, I started thinking "Oh my gosh, am I going to be able to handle this breed?" And then I started thinking "You know what, this is the dog for me. This is definitely the dog for me." I definitely feel like with Apollo I'm getting back everything I'm giving.
  • @konpeito @losec I'm guessing u will agree when I say that if we had of listen to and believed everything we read heard or saw, we would never of got the pleasure of experiencing such a truly wonderful and magnificent breed of dog. And wouldn't trade them for the world :)
  • AnnaAnna
    @konpeito I was the same. Drawn in by their physical appearance and size. Then when I started researching I was like "aloof, independent.. okay, I like that" then "hmm.. maybe this would be more than I can handle" then "oh wait. This is basically me if I were a dog. I can probably figure this out", haha.

Thankfully Hammond's been less stereotypical Shiba than what I'd read. Even when he was a bratty young puppy that would scream and bite over everything, he was still what I'd describe as mellow, haha.

And now he's super friendly, approaches other people and dogs with his tail wagging, let's me pick him up, put his harness on and off, handle him, etc with little to no grumbling and only very rarely has a bitey temper tantrum (mostly when he's overtired, so I need to be more vigilant at leaving the park sooner rather than letting him run himself ragged).

I always thought it was cute/hilarious when he'd growl and grumble every time I touched him. I knew it wasn't good and I worked to get him used to it, but I still laughed every single time. I'll still purposely egg him on to get him to grumble at me now, because his noises are hilarious. Like if he's chewing a bully stick I'll rest my hand on the top of his head and he'll grumble/huff at me. (Which, again, I know is not good because it's a bit resource guardy, but I think it's helping because he's getting desensitized to being touched while he has high-value items and I just get bonus amusement from it. His resource guarding is WAY WAY better than it was a few months ago. :D)
  • cli6cli6cli6cli6
    I adopted a shiba yesterday and I went to pet smart to get a crate. A rep from blue buffalo was there and she was like congrats wat kind of dog and I was like a shiba and I SWEAR she gulped and said well... That's nice... While trying to put on a fake smile!!! And I thought of this thread immediately! I put up some pics in a spam thread. He gave me kisses on the face!!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @cli6cli6- I tell people who have a misconception that , "my INU never read the breed description so he does'nt know that he has to be aloof and wary of strangers". In truth I socialized the hell out of him as a puppy and continue to do so.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-03-11 09:32:03
  • XabiXabi
    I think it's just part of shiba ownership that you have to be a part educator regarding the breed as a whole and also about the steps you've taken to raise your individual puppy responsibly. Vets and vet techs are just people (similar to doctors) who have their ideas, and to a certain degree have requirements put on them regarding safety, disclosure, and liability.

So I agree with the statement that you need to take everyone's (even the forum) comments with a bit of salt and you ALWAYS have to be an advocate for your pet.
    X & I signature smaller
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    @konpeito:

This a little off topic, sorry - but just wondering if maybe your doggie doesn't want to be at the dog park? From your description sounds like he spend the entire time "extremely shy" avoiding other dogs, running away and "falling into a submissive position" and hiding behind you?

There is a possiblity that even though "he always runs and doesn't fight back"...maybe he'll be pushed over the edge at some point...

If I read your description wrong, I apologize, just picturing a scared dog being taken back over and over to a place he doesn't like...Does he have to go there?
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @Koji's mom oh no he just takes a little time to come out of his shell. We've only been a few times so he's not completely used to it yet. Today when we went he initiated play with quite a few dogs, and he likes to watch and meet people. It's mostly the combination of both new dogs and a new environment that makes him shy, but he's always pulling me when we get out of the car towards the park because he's so excited. He's mostly just particular about who he wants to play with. And the fact that he's been used to shy dogs with him being the outgoing one, being around a lot of energetic, forward dogs is really new to him.
  • koyukikoyuki
    As no one here has really heard of shiba inus and all their 'flaws' (soooo not flaws,its just what makes them the best breed ever!) We havent had any issues as far as bias opinions or prejudice against them, what has damned us is that there is literally ONE other shiba where i live besides my two. And that shiba is owned by a dog obedience instructor that uses examples of her dogs misbehaviour to demonstrate a 'bad egg', saying that its the breed that makes her dog basically a bit evil.so when we take our guys to puppy class she strolls over and announces that they are the same as her dog (people just assumed they were dingos before we told them they were shibas) so everyone will all of a sudden be like "oooohhhh. You are going to have your hands full with shiba inus". Then if one of them so much as makes a noise at another dog, they get the look from everyone. And then some woman comes up to them saying "i know what shibas are like" so she gets down all 'dominant' to koyuki and goes straight to pat the top of her head so koyuki does a wicked shiba scream and we get all these judgmental looks. Grrrr :-\
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    Most people luckily say, "It's a Shiba whaaaa???!?" rather than give a spiel about their personality traits. There have only been a few people I know that know what a Shiba Inu is and most of them that do, are of Asian decent and think they are great.
  • @koyuki, haha thats a great story, yeah same here, people think tartchi is a dingo and either think he is cute or get a little scared. ive spent many many hours explaining to every one we meet that he is a shiba inu and bla bla bla. i guess im just really lucky in that my boy doesnt have any bad habits or challenges.. he doesnt do anything, he never plays up when we are out he gets pattered by every stranger who walks past and just stands there, dogs bark at him and he just keeps walking, he doesnt even do anything at the vet just stands there, mmmm maybe he just looks like a shiba but really isnt 1.. when you met him, wasnt he the only one who didnt bark?
  • koyukikoyuki
    Oh i didnt go there, my bf drove there and back by himself as it was like 12-14 hr drive from us, and i think you already had your stud muffin then lol but marlene spoke very very well of him, i think he was definately one of her favourites and think he has been used as a good example of bushlands shiba's beautiful temperament. So any misconceptions people may have would just have to meet tartchi and realise what a wonderful breed they are.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • pdleepdlee
    A friend's husband told me that Pria's ancestors were most likely from foxes...um...no....two completely different species there dude. It's funny hearing what people think about Shibas when they first meet them. On another note, I went to Petsmart the other day and the cashier told me that Pria was surprisingly friendly because most Shibas did not like people. I sometimes wonder if these people are just repeating what they have heard from other people or these are actual experiences they're talking about.
  • LosechLosech
    Haha! Just because it looks like a fox, doesn't mean it is one, or related to, or descended from.

I think the "don't like people" thing is their aloofness. Shibas LOVE people, their people and people they know, not everybody. Some Shibas do like everyone, but most are selective and this can come off to strangers as "not liking" people.
    My Shiba actually doesn't like other people, so if they say that about him, it's true.
  • koyukikoyuki
    I love the fact that my shibas can be a bit 'snobby' towards strangers. There is no need for them to be dopey and lovey towards everybody they meet. Im glad that they are cautious and sort of suspicious to people they dont know, im always wary about strangers feeling the need to pet my dogs , i wouldnt pat someones dog i dont know so its strange to me! I love my snobby dogs lol
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • My shiba loves everyone and every dog. she talks alot and only grumbles when i wake her up. I have considered getting another one but to me its like kids. the first one is an angel then the second one could be a handful. i am just nervous of getting in over my head. i love the breed but i dont want my first one to get beat up or bullied by the second. i socialize my pets like crazy and i love the breed for all its glory. Any suggestions? they are an addicting breed!
  • @jo_n_tartchi I met him and he was so occupied with his kong he didn't notice anything else :) So cute!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)