For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Radioactive Isotope to Treat Hyperthyroidism
  • Edit: So, I had a total reading comprehension fail. I'm leaving the original post intact, but please note that this treatment is actually about hyperthyroidism rather than its opposite, hypothyroidism.

So, I just heard about treating hypothyriodism in cats by injecting a radioactive isotope. Apparently the success rate is very high (98% for 1 injection) and the reoccurrance rate is really low (lifetime .03%). This website, http://www.felinethyroidclinic.com/faq.html, has information about the treatment in cats.

So, knowing that there a lot of dogs also afflicted with hypothyroid, I tried to see if this was out there for dogs. Seems so, as I found this: http://www.petcancercare.com/BUILDING.HTM.

So, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this or had any other information on it. It seems like it could be a really good thing for treating hypothyroidism and I just wanted to get the information out there and invite discussion of it here since I know some of our forum members have dogs with hypothyroidism.
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-08-09 10:25:08
  • CaliaCalia
    The websites say it's for HYPERthyroid not HYPOthyroid, which are sort of two different illnesses. Hyperthyroid is when the thyroid is working too hard, hypothyroid is when the thyroid is not working hard enough. So basically, what it almost sounds like is that it kills some of the thyroid to reduce production and make it act like a normal thyroid. I imagine that if not done properly, it could cause hypothyroidism to occur.
  • Wow, reading comprehension FAIL. Somehow my eyes glossed right over the "er" versus "o." Less useful to many on the forum, but I think I'm going to edit the name of the thread and see what people think.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I was going to say...

Cats suffer most often from hyperthyroid, not hypothyroid. Treatment with radioactive iodine has been around for a long time, and I myself have been treated with it for hyperthyroidism. Methimazole is a drug used to suppress thyroid function in cats as well, but it is true that the only real cure for hyperthyroid is destruction of the actual gland via surgery (not so practical with cats), or radioactive isotope treatment.

I have not yet encountered a dog who was truely hyperthyroid, aside from receiving too much supplemental soloxine.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I suppose it makes sense that with so many dogs being hypothyroid, the opposite problem is not one that comes up much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)