For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Please help my shy and scared shiba
  • SakuSaku
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 11:43:10
  • LosechLosech
    Don't take her to the dog park, and don't make her interact with other dogs if she is uncomfortable.

I'd probably get a behaviorist to help out, since this sounds a bit more extreme than "he/she just doesn't like other dogs". There is an obvious fear of dogs in her, and a behaviorist who has worked with fearful dogs before is probably your best bet.

One thing I did with Conker to get him used to people being around was take him to a place with not much going on. Every time he looked at a person he got a treat. If he was uncomfortable with how close they were, we backed up and did it from a longer distance. I was slowly able to shorten it so he's comfortable with them being about 8 feet away compared to about 60 when I first got him. (yeah, it was bad)
    You could try that with dogs, but keep in mind that if it does work, it will take a long time and you cannot rush because she is having a good day or seems better.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sunyatasunyata
  • SakuSaku
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-02-28 22:48:51
  • lindsaytlindsayt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)