For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Will the thundershirt help nanook remain calm during bath time?
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 10:31:53
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    The Thundershirt's effectiveness varies per dog. You should see how well your dog takes to the Thundershirt before trying it "in the field" like doing it to give your dog a bath.

Personally, I have gone into the bathtub with my dog (in my swim trunks) and shut the door so we're both inside and proceeded to give them their bath. Depending on how scared they are, we'll just sit there, no water running, nothing, and be there for at least 5-10 minutes.

They'll flail at first, but after a while, their nerves die down and they sit there and tolerate the shampoo massage (don't think they'll ever "like" it).

Have you tried DAP collars?

Jesse
  • LosechLosech
    How can you clean them when they are wearing a short? I do not see that working.
    Get a different harness, step-ins are not very secure. Over-the-head types are better but not perfect, and make sure it's adjusted correctly.

Before you just jump into bathing him, take the time to get him used to the actions that go along with it. Take him into the bathroom and give him treats for sniffing the tub, then put him in the tub and give more treats and take him out right away. Repeat that until he is fine with being in the tub and rubbed. Slowly, and I mean slowly, add in a tiny bit of water and give lots of treats for staying still. Can take a while, but that's how I got my Shiba used to stepping into water, and now he'll dive head-first into a creek to go for a swim.
    However, not all Shibas can be conditioned to like water. Some of them just won't have it, and if that happens, try to recruit someone to help hold him and calm him while you bathe him.

I personally would not sedate a dog to clean them. If they really are too much of a bother to bathe in a tub, I will tie them up outside and use the hose (on low) to clean any dirt off.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • InoushiInoushi
    @Inu Ryuu, You are one very, very, brave soul. 2 shibas in a bath, I can't even picture it.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • bobc33bobc33
    I don't bathe either of mine, nor even brush Scout much and Shadow not at all. They may visit a groomer once a year at the most.

They keep themselves clean, and both have no "dog" smell.

Thankfully!
  • BootzBootz
    @Deerpark, be glad yours just freezes! I've heard a lot of fellow forum members complain how theirs shiba scream and claw at their arms. Luckily for me, Bootz just whines. I usually just soothe her by telling her shes a good girl and give her a good rub down. Jackie would usually stand on the other side of the shower and calm her down.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Oh, I forgot to add. If you're in the tub, sometimes the shower can be too much for your Shiba. What I'll sometimes do is plug the tub and let it fill with an inch or 2 of lukewarm water. Then I'll grab a cup (i.e. 7-11 big gulp) scoop up the water and then gently pour it on my Shiba so it's a little less stressful than being constantly pelted by the showerhead. This also allows me greater control of not getting water or soap in their eyes.

If your dog is hyper sensory-reactive (like mine), less sounds/stimulation might help with them just wading in shallow water and the massaging of the shampoo into their coat.

Jesse
    Post edited by CrimsonO2 at 2012-02-28 16:09:59
  • Each dog is different. They both are not fans of the bath, but Cuddles will just stand there once I get it going. Bowser usually starts to cry. He really hated it when I tried to fill the tub a couple inches full of water, he definitely prefers the shower head.

In other news, the thundershirt works great for my dogs in times of panic...not in the shower. Cuddles hates the sound of the wind and Bowser hates hockey (no idea why) so we use the thundershirt on them then
  • cmed24cmed24
    The Thunder shirt works wonders for Kuma, he is scared of, well everythign! and it helps him relax a bit. but not for bathtime. he hates that. he also hates the groomer but we take him about every 2 or 3 months for a Pawdicure ( i cant bring myself to do it to afraid ill hurt him) and for a brush out. not that it helps much! we could build a new shiba with the amount of hair we sweep up each week!
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)