For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Westminster: Shiba judging done!
  • So the Shiba judging is done at Westminster, and a Rodel Shiba won Best of Opposite Sex! And it looks like the Shiba that won the Award of Merit is a SanJo Shiba! Yay, yay!

Go Shibas! But of course, they never win in their group. Why are they in the non-sporting anyway? It makes me crazy, and I wish the AKC would change the categories to something that makes more sense (like having a spitz or northern breed category).

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/results/breed/shibainu.html
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-02-13 21:31:15
  • HamletHamlet
    I agree about the category thing!

It's funny since most of the people I know think in general that Shibas are such attractive little dogs (and I suppose I'm biased). I didn't get to watch the judging...were there any sesames representing? :p (I'm a sucker for a good sesame!)
  • They don't have the videos up yet, so I can't tell. I was just reading the results.
  • Cleo (Rodel's Denial Ain't Just a River) is a gorgeous dog. Saw her when I picked up Azami from boarding last month. Yay Rodel!

I didn't see a sesame, but caught a glimpse of a good-lookin' black & tan. Breed video should be up in a little bit, so if I catch it, I'll post the link.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Draco was breed (GCH Kobushi Justa Draco Rosso), owned and bred by Katrina Neilson. He is a very deserving dog and I'm very happy for Katrina.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Since this was posted I have been watching videos and clips of other dog breeds. This morning I watched the Shiba Inu class. All the other dog breeds follow their handler and hardly act out. Not the Shiba class.. lol..favorite part was at the end when the top 3 were receiving their prizes and the first shiba jumped up to grab the 2nd places prize...
    I grew up showing cattle but recently moved away from home and thought showing dogs could be just as fun seems like it could be tough getting started though.
  • Woohoo!! Go Rodel!!!
  • Stef777Stef777
    Im sad the Shiba didn't win his group... ;(
  • HamletHamlet
    Finally got to watch the showing this morning :D Everyone looks fabulous!

I have the bug to one day get into showing and handling dogs in the ring, but probably not for a bit :-)
  • XabiXabi
    I'm not super into shows, just a shiba enthusiast. I was reading the standard the other day from the national club, and it was so dense and all. Has anyone with any show experience have any insight on how it compares to other standards for other breeds? I know there's supposed to be a subjective element to the judging, and everyone has a personal bias. And there are other disqualification elements, which I get as well. And then one item struck me that temperament is the most important element above all others. Plus it also gives allowances for the "shiba shake" and a bit of rebelious nature.

So, do you feel that a "shiba shake" is expected or a benefit? And is the willfulness of the breed, as evidence by the best of breed winner giving a light shove with his front paws of the second place handler, an allowance that other "more trainable" breeds would not be considered a good quality? Is the uniqueness of the shiba's temperament working against it when comparing the shiba accross other breeds?

I've heard judges say they're looking for that special something. I'm no expert, but if I was judging, I feel like I would just be focusing on "soboku." So, along with conforming to the physical standards, I'd want to see a dog who seemed happy to be there. A lot of those shibas looked like little charmers, with full on shiba smiles.

We (shibas first) all know they're the best in every way possible.
    X & I signature smaller
  • HamletHamlet
    I only have a basic knowledge of showing at this point, but my understanding is that temperament is part of the standard for each breed (although the extent of its importance is probably subject to the breeder and the judger's opinions). I've read a bit of the NIPPO shiba standard and it definitely makes temperament and personality critical elements. You can have a good-looking dog, but if it doesn't fit the "Shiba" personality, it probably won't get that far.
  • @lindsayt, definitely! i'm not familiar with kobushi (or justa), but he was very good-looking.

and yeah, it was totally hilarious how much 'tude the shibas had in comparison to some of the other breeds we watched yesterday :P

• @ xabi - I'm on a mobile device so I can't link to it now but you should check out the Nihon Ken forum for a discussion of that. From what I recall, if there are two dogs both with the expected shiba temperament and the looks, it isn't unusual for the dog that conforms a little less well in looks, but exhibits the stronger shiba personality to do better.

I've seen judges penalize for a little acting out in the ring. I've also seen claims (not from the handler or owner) that some minor acting out (a shiba shake) can be a cover for penalizing for political reasons. As a spectator it's hard to tell and for the AKC judges have differing levels of experience with shibas (especially at smaller shows). The NIPPO standard is more clear on temperament. Someone on the NK side mentioned sering a handler withdraw himself because a dog looked to him for a cue/guidance. Keep in mind too that the rules for handling are very different in NIPPO and from what I can see, is much more hands off than AKC.
  • I've always been amused by watching the Shiba judging videos at Westminster too, because I do see Shibas being Shibas. The shake, of course. And sometimes one is not happy that another is near it. And there's pulling on the lead, etc. It does make me wonder if this is part of the reason Shibas don't do better in their group. Not only are they being judged against dogs they shouldn't be judged against, but they also have Shiba attitude, and a judge who doesn't know the breed might penalize them for that. (I mean come on, comparing a Shiba to a poodle makes no sense at all! )
  • I was super excited to see Draco go up!
    He's pretty much Inara's 3rd cousin, and I think that's pretty awesome LOL.
  • watched the group video. They are all so cute. I think I recognized a handler I saw at the nationals. I think the guy that got second was at nationals?
  • Enjoyed the Shiba entries and judging.

Checked on Dalmatians (my original breed) Was disappointed at the small number of dogs and lack of any liver spotted entries. Dals can be independent too.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Breed Judging/2012/Non-Sporting/vid:17889325

(BTW, Dal folks also wonder about the "non-sporting" designation )
  • Yes, I did see the Dal won in non-sporting, and it was a superb looking dog. I was pulling for the Dobie to win overall, but would have been happy with the Dal too. WAS NOT happy about the peke winning. Ugh! It could barely even run around the ring!
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-02-15 01:13:32
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I was pleased that the German Shepherd Dog, Dalmatian and the Doberman made it to the end but I didn't like that GSD. I thought the Dalmatian was absolutely stunning but I think the Doberman should have won.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • catloreecatloree
    I watched the Shiba class this morning. Wow, there were some gorgeous Shibas in that ring!

I just love how the Shiba personality comes through even in the show ring :D
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • catloreecatloree
    I also completely agree about the categories. I found this link really interesting: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/history/nonsportbrecords.html

How is it possible that poodles (including both standard & miniature) have won best in group 46 times??? That just doesn't seem fair to the rest of the group.
    Post edited by catloree at 2012-02-15 09:09:23
  • YukikoYukiko
    @catloree - I agree the Shiba personality definitely comes through. :D

All the shibas were gorgeous and did one of the gentleman handlers wave a McDonalds bag a little? :D
  • Stef777Stef777
    So disapointed the Pekingese won.... I was rooting for the Doberman
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Penny's arch nemisis was a Peke. A Peke was the reason she had to be rehomed to us. But, Penny benefited in the end. She has INU. I was also rooting for the Doberman.
    犬竜
  • @yukiko OMG! I saw that too, but was like, no...it couldn't be...guess other shibas also will do anything for a mcnugget :P

@jessefritschzy If it was second, it was probably tom rolenaitis from rodel shibas.
  • InoushiInoushi
    @yukio, that made me laugh, kenshin loves the cheeseburgers, he doesn't get them often, but he is very obedient when I have one.

Im really annoyed a peke won, I think I remember one winning not too long ago (either tournement of champions or crufts, he was a very popular dog for a while). I think they are the poster child for what I consider poor breeding, or the very least for selfish reasons. Would be nice to see a shiba win, but I guess they are not popular enough, because frankly westminster tends to turn into that when it comes to comparing breeds. I also guess its limited to the judges knowledge of what's a good dog in any number of breeds. I doubt most people could honestly spot the best examples of so many breeds.

My wish is for shibas to get out of none-sporting, its an insult to the breed in my opinion, and I can't even see how they fit in that group. Then again the akc really needs better, more specified categories in general.
  • BootzBootz
    @Stef...I was rooting for the Doberman too...:( I didn't get to see the Shibas....And Jackie was going all crazy barking at the dogs while I was watching the show. I had to hold her to sleep then cover her with the blanket to watch the dog show. LOL!
  • Stef777Stef777
    hahaha that's funny Bootz! Maybe Jackie didn't agree with the judges ;)

Did anyone see the girl run down the bleachers and get taken away by security right before the best in show judge went in the ring? That was crazy... she had a sign of some sort but I coudldn't see what it said
  • BootzBootz
    lol I noticed that! :( But had no clue about the sign.
  • GatsuGatsu
    http://longisland.newsday.com/lifestyle/pets/westminster-2012/

Come on guys, vote for Pam Peterson's Shiba, Soldier!
  • I voted for the Shiba! Woohoo!
  • catloreecatloree
    Voted! Go Shiba!
  • SayaSaya
    I voted for the shiba and gave down thumbs to some that I didn't like
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • FYI for people who are fans of Pam Peterson and Soldier, Soldier is AKC's #1 Shiba!
  • Thanks for that, Stryker. With Zimmy being a Royal Kennels boy we're obviously big fans of Pam's. :D
  • although i am not able to get a puppy from rodels i got excited to hear that they entered two of their dogs at the show. I was so annoyed that i missed it however it bothers me that every year its always a pekignese a scottish terrier or a standard poodle that wins. My dads best friend who is a really good ethical breeder in english bulldogs told me its because a lot of judges basically pick their particular favorite breed. I still don't think its fair for dogs like shibas, i remember reading that its because they are too cat like and not a "dog dog"
  • Soldier is my Shibas dad! :o) He is beauuutiful and quite a champion!
  • GatsuGatsu
    Danielle you have some bragging rights now.
  • bump

Westminister is coming up. I have never given much thought to it but when playing on google I found out one of the forum members had a shiba that did pretty well there last year, and i'll probably watch the shiba judging if in fact there is any. Anyone know how this works/when to tune in, etc?

Best In Show is one of my favorite movies of all time!

• Looks like the Shibas are 2:45 on Monday. I don't know how long it takes them to get the videos up though....I've only watched them somewhat after the fact. Here's the schedule though:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2015/show/WKC_2015_judging_program.pdf
  • RooneyRooney
    Does anyone know if DirecTV has Westminster on while it's occurring? I'm having a hard time finding it online, but my boss is cool with us having it on the office flat screens (we're usually restricted to news and top sporting events). I just can't seem to find it to turn it on...
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • Rooney, check CNBC. I think they have all of the coverage for the dog show.

• @bonniegibbons @rodel @tengai

Congratulations to our forum members for their entries in 2015 Westminster. Good luck to you all!

Note: I'm sure all the entries are awesome dogs and deserving, but I wanted to throw a little extra love the way of forum members, even if we don't get to see them too often :-)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    It looked like it was playing on CNBC at 8pm tonight - does anyone know if that's just a replay of the entire show? I don't want to miss the Shiba judging and according to Bonnie it's this afternoon around 2-3pm.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • zandramezandrame
    Shibas are scheduled for 2:45pm ET, in ring 2. I can't see it on my phone, but here's the link to the streams - http://characterchatter.usanetwork.com/wkc/mobile/show.php

And here's the link to the list of entrants:
    http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedentries.php?breed=shibainu
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thank you so much @zandrame for that link

I'm on a conference call most of the afternoon so at least I can watch it - I have it on now and really can't hear anything, though. Anyone else's sound REALLY LOW???
    imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, is there a separate volume control in the player? Sometimes they are preset low.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    There is, I have it up all the way. I think that the sound recording is just low. Thank you!
    imageimage

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    The Afghan Hounds are so weird looking... hurry up and give us the Shibes!!!
    imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, which stream are you watching? Should be no Afghans in Ring 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)