For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Gadget's getting a Shiba - Now with Pics 9-April-2012
  • The wife and I are getting a Shiba, due to be born any day now and collected in April at some point.

I have been looking forward to getting a fur baby for quite some time and have been making a huge effort to puppy proof the back yard, making sure there's not any poisonous plants and the fence is dig proof etc. It’s not a huge yard, but it’s big enough for a decent sized dog, and with parkland across the road, and my frequent runs, they will be more than happy I’m sure.

We are expecting our first two legged baby in July as well, so a few months training of the pup will be good training for us. It’ll be a challenge, having two “babies”, but I’m more than up for it! :)

We've been researching the breed for a long period of time (over 4 years) and my wife's aunt breeds them in Perth (WA, Austraila). So Tri (wife) has grown up with them and owned a Chow and well aware of their temperament. We’re in Victoria, so it’ll be a well travelled pup when it reaches it’s new forever home. We do have our names on three “local” waiting lists, all pups due soon, if the family contacts do not have one that is appropriate. By local, I mean within 4 hours drive.

Neither of us are fussed about the sex nor the colour, but more keen on a pup with a good personality and healthy pup that will enjoy going for jogs with me and spend time with our growing family. I’m not going to “show” the dog, but the closest thing I’d do to it, would be agility courses or flyball. Both of which I’m sure will suit the Shiba’s love to run and please… guess it’s like doing the Shiba 500 in a more controlled manner :p

I hope to learn a bit more off the forums, I’ve read many blogs and more than a few articles here already.

Thanks Adrian (aka Gadget)
    Post edited by Gadget1382 at 2012-04-09 07:56:41
  • koyukikoyuki
    Yayyyyy another australian! Welcome! We got our two shiba pups from a great breeder in victoria! Congratulations on both ur soon to be babies! If u want any tips about living with both two legged and four legged babies let me know! Yayy!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Welcome and congrats on both babies! Look forward to seeing some spam of both.
    Photobucket
  • Thanks guys.

Another Victorian too! :D Where abouts are you? We're in Croydon.

I'm sure SPAM stands for images or video's etc, what's it short for? I can only recall SPAM being junk e-mails or "Stuff Posing As Meat" in a canned meat :p
  • koyukikoyuki
    Lol when i first saw 'spam' on here i assumed it was a corrupt thread haha. Im not in victoria actually we are in south australia but were no breeders in sa that were going to have 2 pups available so the bf drove a total of about 25 hrs to pick them up!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • I'm happy to fly to and from WA to get one, so I'm sure 25h drive is nothing for two! :)
  • koyukikoyuki
    Woah big trip! I guess we were lucky that victoria is not really that far! I would definately do it again, and maybe in a few years we will go get another two! :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • It's an excuse to see family while we're there. So it's not the se reason.
    Lol. Another two?!
  • koyukikoyuki
    Haha maybe one day! We are going to get into showing when my bf retires from motorbike . His family were breeders and showed spitz breeds so we want to show seriously too! But are going to wait until the kids are older as young kids and young dogs r quite a handful! I dont think ive slept more that 30 mins at a time since our youngest came along and now she wants to be with the puppies 24/7 lol (it is the best fun though) you will see soon enough how addictive shibas are :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • I already have a pretty good idea :p
  • koyukikoyuki
    Have you met the parents of your soon to be puppy? How lucky that your wife's aunt is a breeder!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • Very Lucky! Although the breed was chose (by me) before finding out that she bred more than Chows.
    Met the mother and played with previous litter pups, but we weren't at the right stage then to get one of our own, so have waited till this year.
  • koyukikoyuki
    Thats pretty cool! There are a couple of other members on here from aus and i actually think from ur state so maybe u can organise your own little shiba meetup when u get ur pup!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • Will have to keep an eye out for them! Seen a few Shibas around the city and in parks when we've driven past but when we have time to stop and chat they seem to dissapear. I look forward to seeing more and having more to do with them!
  • koyukikoyuki
    Lucky. We have ONE other shiba in our town and i met the owner on the weekend as she is an obedience instructor where my puppy class is, but she doesnt take her shiba out as he is a bit snappy! I wish there were more so my two could have a big playdate
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • catloreecatloree
    Congrats on your new addition! I hope you post pictures when you bring him/her home! :)
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • Congrats on your new addition and can't wait for the pictures to come! :)
    Shiba In Fan For Life

Our YouTube Channel With Nia Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMunsonCurve?feature=watch
  • Congrats!! Can't wait to see pictures!!!!
  • Will get pics... Many, many pics :p
  • Gotta load pics of the litter to Photobucket, but come April, we'll have a little fur baby! :D

Just want to make sure that it's ok to load up the pics of the litter first!

We're so excited! Already got some pup related items on their way! It's a Black and Tan and almost 100% sure we'll be getting a boy.
    Post edited by Gadget1382 at 2012-02-22 21:46:11
  • koyukikoyuki
    Yay! Thats so exciting!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    Here's the little man :D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/gadget1382/Shiba Inu/MITZUSBOY2.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/gadget1382/Shiba Inu/MITZUS2MALE.jpg

Very much looking forward to getting him! He'll be coming to his new forever home just in time for Easter.
    Post edited by Gadget1382 at 2012-03-18 20:42:22
  • XabiXabi
    How adorable! He's a great looking shiba!
    X & I signature smaller
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    I'm biased, but I think he is. :p
  • KitsuKitsu
    Awww his ears are already up :D
  • koyukikoyuki
    So so cute!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • catloreecatloree
    Aww he's adorable!!!
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    Confirmation... we'll be getting him on Thursday! :D

Another "small world" incident. A mate from the car club I'm in, moved to WA and got a Shiba pup. It's also from Sherae, so a sister to another mother... not sure if they share the same dad though.
  • SayaSaya
    So cute~! He reminds me of Saya at that age! I miss her being that tiny now she is 20lb of muscle! hehe

Hope see more pics soon.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Awww he is adorable!!! How old is he in those pictures? I just picked up my little girl Saturday morning (she just turned 8 weeks Friday) and her ears are slightly up but not straight yet, they're tilting forward at an angle. hehe I will post a new thread with lots of puppy spam tonight! He is so cute though, you're going to have so much fun! :)
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    He was just over 6 weeks when the pics were taken.

I'll be getting a HEAP of pics on Thursday night and over the long weekend! :D So excited.
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    guess who?!? ;p
    Post edited by Gadget1382 at 2012-04-07 21:04:47
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    On my wife's lap.
    After a big day! Note, toys are nearly bigger than he is! :p
    Post edited by Gadget1382 at 2012-04-07 21:03:29
  • RyanRyan
    Cute. He is so little!
    That is a pretty awesome bed. Bella has a plush puppy that is bigger than her, that said, her meal today was too!
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • He's so little and cute!!! Gosh, Shiba puppies can be such little brats but they are just the cutest creatures known to man.
  • ceziegcezieg
    Haha the picture of him in his crate with his bigger-than-him toys is adorable. Congrats on the new puppy!
  • koyukikoyuki
    He is so adorable and tiny! How have his first few days been? He looks very content on your wife's lap there! Has he gotten attached to any if his toys yet? When my two were smaller than their toys they both picked a favourite and they are their only toys still intact :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    So far so good. Getting up at 3am to the sound of chewing and not knowing what it was, was interesting.
    He's becoming more playful and we're getting signs of what he's like. He loves hugs at this stage and has net quite a few ppl already. Although, a bit unsure of strangers at first, which is natural.
    So all in all, pretty darn good. He still seems so much smaller than I realise.
    The pic of him in my wife's lap was from the first night we picked him up from the airport.
    Attached to the baby elephant at this stage rather than the Tazzy devil toy at this stage.
  • pekupekupekupeku
    oh! so darling! I would love to see more pictures!
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    After playing in the back yard for half an hour, everyone needed to nap in the sun.
    Photobucket
    He sleeps again after another big play session.

Last night he woke up at about 1:30am for a "pit stop" and he's definitely found his voice. He woke again this morning at 6:30ish too, full of beans and ready to play. But had to calm him down a bit.
    This is definitely prepping me for our two legged baby coming in July.
    I don't mind him barking at the moment, as it's saved a couple of mess' already. Toilet training with him, so far, as been a breeze. Just have to keep letting him out in the yard every four hours or so.
    Will get more pics soon.
  • RyanRyan
    He is so awesome? Have you had any screams yet? Bella learned how to do them yesterday in the car on the way back from a friends.
    Is he mouthy at all?
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    Yeah, very lucky to have a good pup! :D
    Not mouthy other than when playing. He's more of a cat batting things about with his paws. He tends to keep his mouth open, but doesn't close on much. We have been pretty stringent on the little mouthing that has occurred, with a short, sharp, loud, "AH" and he knows not to continue.
    No shiba screams yet. Yet, being the operative word :p
  • catloreecatloree
    AWW SO CUTE!!!
  • Gadget1382Gadget1382
    He's doing ok at the moment. Loving outside and playing in our yard! Also love cuddles and

His stools became rather liquid like and he was off his food late yesterday and this morning, but he's improved quite a lot this arvo and eating again.

We've taken out the raw mince he had from his diet and left him eating the soaked dry puppy food the breeder advised us to get, its top of the line stuff, even the shop keepers agreed we cant get better. I also made sure to keep encouraging him to drink water every chance I get.

He's still playing a lot and loving cuddles, with everyone after a minute of them holding him. He's met a few babies and more than a dozen people, who have all instantly fallen in love.
    Photobucket
    He is amazingly placid, and energetic when he wants to be. He's a typical baby, fluctuating between energetic and snoozy.

For those that think Shiba's don't like being on their back...
    Photobucket

I still keep forgetting how small he is... He's winning hearts with everyone he meets.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)