For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 10:35:27
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-02-07 17:04:34
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    @kiba the shiba kind of an odd question way off topic but are you near atlantic city nj? if so i think you might know our brewster?
  • we are in las vegas, tho i did live on mcguire afb, while wife was in the air force from 2002-2007, we didnt get kiba until we bought our house in 09

the attacks are rare, usually only happens a couple times a year, usually coinciding with the air force training here, live about 2-3 miles from nellis. but yesterday there was no overhead flights, which raised a flag.

we originally though something was wrong in the house when he started normal outside, which led us to search the house, and check to make sure no gas leaks.

we even thought it something paranormal, since we had a ghost in our apartment we had before the house. it would break our daughters dishes, play with our cats, and when it started to scare our daughter we had to have a talk with the ghost, they could stay but daughter was offlimits. after that, no activity. but we get no vibe that we have anything in the house that is paranormal.

but anxiety attacks makes sense. when we go in for his blood work, will ask the vet about it, and see what she has to say.

• Stef777Stef777
    haha Kiba I was thinking ghosts....
  • Fuji did this type of thing and it took us 2 days to realize it was caused by the chirping of a fire detector whose battery was low. We hadnt even heard it yet, but he did! After that for awhile he started shaking any time our shoes squeaked on the floor. Any high pitched sounds in your house?
  • BootzBootz
    @Stef, was thinking the same!
  • Other things that can possibly set off dogs:

Washing machines or dryers (noise and vibration thru the floor)
    Refrigerator sounds (the humming, the compressor)
  • Just going to chime in here too, My Saru has started to have panic attacks over the toaster, and possibly this morning, over the coffee maker. I've tried treating him, in the room with it, comforting him, and ignoring the behavior and nothing has helped. I think just being aware of what could be causing the attacks and letting them know it's not gonna get them is the best thing to do. Look for a common factor from episode to episode to try to find out what is causing it. Good luck.
  • Over the years I have come believe that there may be a propensity for noise phobia and hyperacusis i.e. hearing sensitivity in many Shibas or possibly specific lines. The reasons and specific causes are not exactly clear.

However, may be opportunity to contribute to ongoing research regardless if your dog falls into this category or not. Test kits are provided and I do not believe anyone needs to travel. Anyway here is the link of details for those interested in becoming a part of the study and reviewing results of the ongoing research. http://www.k9behavioralgenetics.com/

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-02-08 13:49:05
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-02-08 13:56:06
  • Very Interesting and I hope to dig around and see if they have any published results yet.
    Yeah I hear you, I have one that is really stable and another that has noise phobia. It appears the study would accept samples for both, I need to review criteria further ...

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-02-08 14:14:06
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2012-02-08 14:26:28
  • It looks like much of it was post doc work and research ended in 2011. Not sure
    since I could not find research data on the study, so I am hopeful it is still being compiled. Shibamistress if you get a response let us know.

Snf

• Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-02-08 16:48:56
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • When my dog shakes like that, particularly when there's noises that scare the living hell out of him it means he's having a seizure. Of course I'm not saying that's what is going on with your dog, but I figured it would be good information for you to know. Could just be anxiety though. Would it be a bad idea to consult with a vet?
  • catloreecatloree
    Post edited by catloree at 2012-06-06 14:07:06
  • sunyatasunyata
  • catloreecatloree
  • sunyatasunyata
  • catloreecatloree
    Post edited by catloree at 2012-06-07 10:34:38
  • sunyatasunyata
  • natashanatasha
    Hey guys I hope you can help me, I need some advice. My shiba Yuki has been quite a nervous girl from day one, having said that she's come a long way. She seems to go through these phases where she becomes super nervous and anxious. A while ago my vet put her on medication for a short period which helped a lot. He explained that often the animal gets into the "habit" of being anxious and just needs something to break the cycle.

She seems to be going through one of these bad patches right now, it was set off by her fear of the toaster and now a whole bunch of things freak her out. She skulks around the house looking at everything suspiciously almost as if she's waiting for the inevitable creepy thing to happen.

Can any of you recommend any natural supplements that really help? If needs be, I can put her on conventional meds again for a short period but if there's anything more natural I'd like to try it.
    It breaks my heart when I see her shaking and trying to crawl into a corner when she gets like this, and nothing helps her snap out of it, such as toys or treats.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • natashanatasha
    Thanks @INU RYU I will see if we have Adaptil in South Africa, otherwise perhaps I can try ordering through Amazon.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-06-22 01:44:31
  • natashanatasha
    Thank you for all the advice shibamistress, I definitely think all of the abovementioned products are worth trying as the worst that can happen is that they might not work. They are not harmful so it's worth giving it a shot. The funny thing is that my girl isn't scared by some loud sounds, but the sound of the pop up toaster makes her tremble in fear, but I think that shibas are often weird that way.
  • LucyLoveLucyLove
    Please let me know your thoughts on my Lucy's recent behavior. She'll be two years old at the end of this month. About 2 weeks ago, she came to me and was shaking as if something freaked her out. I was in the other room, so I don't know what may have triggered it. This was the first for her.

Since that afternoon, she barely comes downstairs anymore. Not even to eat or when we prepare steak or something really yummy. This is very concerning, because her main hangout since she was 10 weeks old has been the family room and the adjoining kitchen. Since then, I have to bribe her with treats to come downstairs to eat her food or to go out on her walks. When we bring her back from her walks, she would hurry upstairs to go under our bed.

Today, she was in the kitchen area for a cheese bribe, then she stared into the kitchen, then hurried upstairs as if she's seen a ghost or something. There has been no change in the family room and the adjoining kitchen. I thought she would get over it, but she isn't getting back to her old routine of things. I'm so concerned she's frightened enough to pass up food and water just to avoid coming downstairs. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • LucyLoveLucyLove
    Yes, I'll be taking her to the vet this week, but it doesn't appear to be a physical health issue. She eats well when I bring food to her upstairs, plays well, sleeps well, cuddles with us, and still has normal bowl movement, etc. She just doesn't want to come downstairs...

Thank you! Will let you know what her vet says.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)