For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Our own personal therapy dog
  • Mojo may have his problems, but he really is the sweetest guy.

Our cat Puff is very ill. She's a diabetic who now has some more serious issue, possibly a tumor, we aren't sure yet. Her white count is going up and down but remains elevated, she's not eating on her own (yay for syringe feeding) and she's anemic. Her belly is a bit bloated. Doing an ultrasound today just for fact-finding, since she's 17 years old and surgery isn't an option. She's still very alert, just very tired.

We were talking about her condition and what may be coming in our den last night. Mojo suddenly went over to Scott and put his head on his knee. Mojo does this a lot when my son Xander is upset. He goes over to get scritches and be comforting. A few minutes after his visit with Scott, he went over to my daughter Bethany and did the same for her. A few minutes after that, it was my turn. He did his very shiba-best to try and cheer us up with cuddles.

It's a shame he's not more comfortable with other dogs. He would have made an awesome therapy dog.
    ~Mo
    Mojo the Great Shiba b.2004
    Risa the Demon Child...err...Chocolate Lab b.2000
    Puff the Russian Blue Cat b.1994
  • Stef777Stef777
    awww that is so sweet of him! What a good shiba :) I am sorry to hear about your poor kitty... I hope she starts getting better.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Sounds like lymphoma. That's great she has a little companion to comfort her.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • That is so sweet! I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. Dogs are so incredibly smart..I swear Zach knows when something is wrong too.
  • Considering that when she first came to live with us 4 years ago and they DIDN'T get along, it's a big step that Mojo is also really concerned about the cat. She used to run, so he'd chase, purely predatory instinct. Gradually she learned not to run, and not to hiss either, since both things get him over excited. Now at most, she might merrow in complaint and slink away if he bothers her.

He and my Lab Risa keep checking Puff out to make sure she's okay. She's been very tolerant of the sniff-overs considering how terrible she feels (or she's just too tired to complain).

It's a combo - Puff has pancreatitis and what is either inflammatory bowel disease or cancer. Can't check it...won't put her through a GI biopsy to confirm a cancer that we can't operate on and won't put her through chemo. Doing meds instead and hoping it's not a cancer.
    ~Mo
    Mojo the Great Shiba b.2004
    Risa the Demon Child...err...Chocolate Lab b.2000
    Puff the Russian Blue Cat b.1994
  • That is so sweet. I'm glad to hear Mojo is like that for you guys. Mango is my "emotional support dog" as my psychiatrist put it. Whenever I am upset or having a panic attack Mango jumps into my lap and lets me squeeze him until I feel better. Shibas are seriously the best, mind readers I swear to god.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)