For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The Famous Shiba SCREAM!
  • knnwangknnwang
    OK, so this scream is famous to this breed since the sound is so loud it has been mistaken for the same sound a human baby or child in distress would make. I only had Ratchet for a short period and have only heard him do this 3 times. It a very LOUD what sounds like “OWL, OWL, OWL, OWL, OWL” but have stop when I started petting him.

- 1st time around 2 months of age, he somehow pulled himself up to the coffee table when I had my back turned to him and when I turned around and saw him, I screamed NO, and he back up and fell off and he did that OWL, OWL, OWL. (That was my bad; I should have picked him off that table.)

- 2nd time was at the vets when he was given 2 shots his annual DHLP and Bordetella, he was fine with the shot on the back of his neck but one 2nd one to his upper leg set off that OWL, OWL, OWL, OWL. I was petting/holding him on the exam table. When vet finished w/ the injection he was rubbing the injection site for a few seconds but he would not stop with the Scream, I lowered him on the floor (I don’t think my vets ever worked with a Shiba since one of his questions was "does has he done this before?”) The vet was also petting him when I lower him to the floor, mainly because I think he felt bad. He did not stop the scream until I opened the door and left the exam room where the Vet was and he was back to his normal quiet proud strut.

- 3rd He was taking a poop in his regular area (farthest corner of the back yard.) And what appears to be a poop hanging from his butt (I was feeding him a prepackaged dry duck jerky and I think the tendons linked 2 off his poop together.) He started his scream and ran between my legs as if he was scared and needed protection. I think the poop feel off when he jumped and started to move.

I think he’s done this with my groomer too since the last time I setup an appointment; when she called me she said “your cry baby is ready for pickup.” =/

I have also heard that they will do the SHIBA SCREAM when they get overly excited too? Is this true?

My question is what has set your little pup off on a Shiba Scream?
  • koyukikoyuki
    lol Takeo (my 9 week old boy) recently scared me with the shiba scream....i had picked him up to take him outside to the toilet and he decided to wee on me..so i put him down to finish outside and he weed a teeny tiny bit on his own foot and he screamed soo loudly i thought he had hurt himself and he frantically ran away from the spot he was standing and cleaned himself straight away. He also did the scream when he stepped on a wet area of grass from the sprinkler....lol then he realised it was fun and started attacking the water mid air
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Around the time we first got Apollo, I had a friend over and she was holding him while sitting in a chair since I had to go outside and didn't want him to follow me. I guess she wasn't holding him securely enough so he decided he wanted to get down and jumped off her lap, and ended up hitting his foot funny. He was not hurt at all, but suddenly started screaming so loud I could hear him from outside. He just kept making this constant, ear-splitting "YAP YAP YAP" as he sat miserably in the corner, and I had to keep petting him and giving him food to get him to stop. It scared me since I thought he might've been really hurt, but looking back on it now it was hilarious.

More recently, Apollo was walking in the little space behind the couch like he does everyday and got the telephone cord stuck around his chest. He got so freaked out because he couldn't move, so I had to help him step out of the cord since the space was too tight for me to actually get to him.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • AnnaAnna
    The very first time Hammond encountered another dog's poop on a walk, he screamed.

Not the "full" Shiba scream, but he used to scream a lot when picked up or especially if his feet were touched. Sometimes still if I have to manhandle him to check a spot on his belly or check his teeth or something.

My parents' dog snapped at him once and Hammond quickly backed up out of his space, had that moment of silence/realization that little kids always have, then threw himself on the ground and started screaming. But it was kind of mixed with his annoying puppy "awesome you acknowledged me, let's play" yodel-bark-yap noise. Like he had to tell all of us he was upset, but had to tell off the other dog at the same time, haha.

Full-on, hardcore Shiba scream when he would get slushy snow between his toes. Well, less a scream and more of a shriek. I describe it as "Imagine a car with really bad brakes that are about to go out having to go from 75mph to 0 in 10 feet, that sort of squeal/screech". He just flopped over on the sidewalk, clutching his paw to his chest, doing that noise at like airplane-level volume. At 7:30am. I was mortified, haha.
  • For some reason I thought the Shiba Scream was longer, more of a wail--probably an idea I got from seeing a poorly captioned YouTube video (the "scream" didn't really sound too unusual).

Ponta never screamed before recently. He has no problem with us touching his feet or toes (after every walk I flip him on his back and give his paws a thorough cleaning), nor from slush (he *loves* snow, in fact).

But, about a week and a half ago, I was taking Ponta for a late walk at 11:00 at night, and I realized that he had picked up something in his mouth. He's done this since he first went on walks--first it was cigarette butts, then tissues, then gum. Now he'll usually go for unidentifiable, dark, gummy gunk or whatever.

So I did what I have done a hundred times before: pull in his leash, hold him tight, and open his mouth to get him to release it (at a time like that, "Leave it!" has no effect). Usually, if he has not swallowed whatever it is, it will drop to the pavement.

This time, however, something must have happened--I don't know what. It was dark and he was struggling, and my best guess later on is that I accidentally poked him in the eye or something.

Whatever it was, suddenly Ponta froze in the sitting position, looked forward and slightly down, and SCREAMED. It scared the living hell outta me. And it was very similar to what has been described here--YOWP! YOWP! YOWP! YOWP! Like the Car Alarm From Hell, sharp, short, declarative barks, except they were screams.

I tried to see what it was--I backed off, checked him out as well as I could in the darkness, and didn't see anything. He just kept sitting there and yelping, YOWP! YOWP! YOWP! YOWP! like what was hurting him kept on hurting him. At the time, I was afraid that he had started eating something like broken glass and my attempt to get it out had lodged it in his gums or something. I got the impression that he was in terrible pain, was frightened, and didn't understand what was happening to him. After what seemed like a minute but was probably ten seconds, I scooped him up and started to jog home, while he screamed over my shoulder into my ear, YOWP! YOWP! YOWP! YOWP!

Then, after about 10 or so more screams, he quieted down, and then stopped screaming. I stopped under a street light, and held him in front of me. He looked back with an expression that seemed to say, "Yeah? What? Is something wrong?" Nothing seemed wrong, no blood, no apparent injuries. He looked down in a way I know he wants to be set down, so I did. And he just started ambling off in the direction of the walk as if nothing had happened.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Zach has only "screamed" once but he is still young so I'm sure there will be more. He was outside after it had snowed...we were coming back into our apartment and he must have stepped on ice melt. As soon as he got inside he threw himself onto his back, held his paw at his chest and started screaming. I picked him up and went right to the sink and washed off his paw. He turned his face towards mine and licked me as if to say thanks mom. I put him down and he was good to go!

He has howled a few times. My partners ring tone used to make him howl so we changed it. I was afraid it hurt his ears. And we have a Christmas ornament that plays music and he howls at that too...its almost like he is singing!
  • Maci has never done it :( wah!
  • Not sure if this is the type of shiba scream you are thinking of, but here is Cuddles making some weird sounds.

http://youtu.be/DaNKEJ6Dj4E

http://youtu.be/6-2XTu_nIUI
  • knnwangknnwang
    @jessefritschzy lol, Ratchet makes that ARRR, ARRR, OFFFF (not as loud as his Shiba Scream) when I’m trying to train him on a trick. It's as if he say, "Why won’t you give me that treat Already! I sat every time I stopped moveing, and have gotten into the down position twice already!" It’s funny how he rarely barks, but sometimes he sure can be.… vocal?

I’m wondering more about what triggers the loud Shiba Scream that can cut through artillery fire. From excitement or distress.
  • #jessefritschzy:

The ones you posted are funny noises, but not screams. Ponta has made sounds like those sometimes, mostly when he was a puppy and unhappy. When he had to poop, he actually made sounds like a chicken!

Actually, this is more like it for the Shiba Scream:

http://youtu.be/xMxtPgYdjvk

When I played Cuddles' sounds, Ponta didn't react. When I played that Shiba Scream, he immediately made a beeline for the headphones (which were sitting on my desk at the time), obviously concerned.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    earsplitting when we bathe brewster ...i am dreading next month when hes due for a bath :( earplugs are probably a good idea next time
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    The vacuum and clipping her nails makes Foxy Scream. It's horrible!!! The other night she was so worked up while I was doing her nails that she had that "ah, ah, ah..." sound after screaming so much. Kind of like a baby sounds after they've cried for a long time.
    Photobucket
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    @ everyone in this thread-after they do their scream do they look at you like "why are you doing this to me i swear ill be a good puppy,i love you please dont (adlib)_______ me(i would use clip my nails or wash)" haha
  • @HibariShiba hahaha I was playing that video very low and both my shibas came running!!

Now I know what you guys are talking about. Bowser does that when he can hear me approaching the door when I get home from work. He reallllllly does it when he gets a bath. I'm afraid the neighbors are going to think I am beating him lol
  • @jessefritschzy: "Bowser does that when he can hear me approaching the door when I get home from work."

Actually, I think that's different. I believe I know what you're talking about, since Ponta does the same thing--arches his back, flattens his ears, runs about in circles, and lets out a series of strangled barks. But that's not a Shiba Scream, not by a long shot. It would have to sound like he's gravely wounded. The video I linked to does't do the Scream justice. There's a big volume difference. If Bowser did that when you got home, you'd wonder if he was badly hurt perhaps.
  • BootzBootz
    I've only heard Bootz do the Shiba scream once....luckily she only whines during baths.

Her Shiba scream was horrible...was during a meal with 15+ guests over. They thought she was attacked by another dog. The pitch of her scream too...really made my ears hurt.
  • dorapochdorapoch
    I've heard Ginko screamed, howled, yelp in pain, bark and whine.

I think he screamed when my mom forced him to drink water after he took medication (since he usually refused to...I think they taste good to him). Heard him howling the first night he stopped sleeping in my room. He doesn't bark often, but did it a lot when he was on Panacur. Um...he growls and starts snapping if he's upset/constricted and doesn't want it. I also heard him does this weird low growl/howl without opening his mouth as if he is saying "hello" to anyone he hasn't seen in a while (he doesn't do it after bedtime though).
  • Zim screamed when his breeder gave him his shots before we took him home and then in the crate on the way home. Then sometimes in our laps on the way home. Then that night in the crate. Then tonight in his crate. He really hates that crate.
  • Fira does a short little yelp when her and I are playing. This occurs specifically when we're playing and I make continuous eye contact with her. Since eye-contact during play and/or a real dog fight indicates a struggle for dominance, that's when she yelps at me. Its kind of like "quit staring at me for dominance, I know you're the master!"
    She REALLY hates it when she yelps at me and then I yelp right back with the same pitch, tone, and volume. Because when I do that, she then yelps that much louder and tries to paw or bite at my face. Its like she's then saying, "don't make fun of me!" or something lol
  • Ando screams whenever the cat swats him in the behind (playing), a strong gust of wind hits his behind, or pretty much anything gets near his behind. Also, whenever I come home, my akita/rotty mix & him have a howling match, she starts it, and he has to match it. Then once I get into the house, he does what I call the "grumble". Almost a playoff growl and he ALWAYS has a toy in his mouth. Anyone else witness this "grumble" from their shiba?

P.S. Ando also always gets the misbehave rating from the groomer on the card I get afterwards, last time I took him, I saw her take him out of the cage to put his harness on and he just hopped out of her hands and led her on a chase throughout the back of the groomers, lol
    Glenn
    Ando - 3 yr old Shiba

Photobucket
    Post edited by Glenn101682 at 2012-02-11 00:16:02
  • LosechLosech
    Conker hasn't screamed since the incident in front of the police station (he WAS NOT going to walk through that puddle. Period. End of story.) until the other day. I left to go somewhere, and Conker got a bit whiny and watched through the window beside the door for me. Mom's bf thought he looked lonely and needed comforting and went to pick him up...
    Infamous Shiba scream! Conker also nipped at him, which is something he hasn't done in a long while either. Anyways, that doesn't make me very happy, but really, the bf should have known better. I have warned him about surprising Conker before so even if he did get in a bite, I wouldn't let the bf do anything about it.

@Glenn101682 Conker grumbles all the time. Wants to play? Grumble. Pick him up? Grumble. Tired? Grumble. Happy? Grumble. One of his nicknames is Mr. Grumbly because of that.

• This is the video we play for people whenever they ask about it. Sakura doesn't do it for nearly as long, but just as loud.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • My dog used to make screaming/howling noises at the moon LOL.
  • @hibariShiba Your video has been banned from our house...LOL
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • lucylulucylu
    I just played the video of Mika barking at the computer. Lucy went crazy and tried attacking my macbook!!
  • The famous Shiba Scream doesn't happen with Nia, but it does happen with nail trimmings. Ouch! Didn't know what it sounded like until our first visit to the groomers!
    Shiba In Fan For Life

Our YouTube Channel With Nia Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMunsonCurve?feature=watch
  • koyukikoyuki
    @BuckyBadger lol im watching this now...puppies barking...next door's dogs barking....person mowing their lawn next door...stops probably wondering what the heck all that noise is lol
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • @BuckyBadger:

Ponta had the same reaction as others; when I played your video for my wife, Ponta trotted in from the other room, barked some himself, put his paws up on the computer hand rest, and started tilting his head while giving us sidelong glances. A dog reacting to a dog reacting to a video, I wish I had video of it, then other dogs could react to that--chain reaction!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)