For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What is your Shiba afraid of?
  • jelliesjellies
    my first shiba (nyc, Ohio puppy mill origin, creamy):

anyone in a uniform
    buses using air brakes
    metal gratings / bars of any kind
    homeless pushing shopping trolleys
    bathtubs (empty or not)
    the city block with the vet on it
    certain people for no reason I could divine
    hats
    (I'm sure I missed some things)

my current pup (breeder):

so far, very low fear. he only freaked once at a parked scooter in a garage, so rather than reacting I just did nothing & let him work up the courage to get close enough to sniff it. Then all was well.
    Oh one other time, there was a wedding in the park across our path, he found the voice on the amplified mic concerning. I stopped and let him sit at a safe distance, and he just watched - trying to work out which person was the "monster".
  • jimjim
    My Niki is not afraid of anything. Unfortunately that includes moving cars. We have to be extremely careful.
    As for SEATTLEITE's question about nail cutting tips; I cut Niki's nail's only after she has had a really tiring day. After lots of activity, when she is just on the edge of falling asleep standing up (she does fall asleep standing up sometimes), is the best time to trim nails. She is very relaxed and pliable. I never try to hold her down, or have anyone else hold her down for this. If she gets panicky about me holding her leg and foot, I stop and do something else with her feet without cutting her nails. My philosophy is that nails grow slowly, it can wait another day.
  • Haru is petrified of fireworks or sounds like fireworks, the gushing water sound when the washing machine drains into the pipes and baths. Vixey doesn't seem to have an real fears but certainly doesn't like the sewer covers and will adamately avoid them.
  • knnwangknnwang
    Baths and getting his nails cut. Only 2 things that he will shiba cry and shiver at.
  • KimuraKimura
  • Sushi is scared of the bathroom. The way our house is set up, you have to go from the living room, through a small hallway, and past the bathroom to get to my room where her bed and everything is. Oftentimes, she'll stand at the entrance of the hall, giving the bathroom door a suspicious glare, slowly closing toward it, then running like crazy past it to get to my room.
    Post edited by SnakeDarling at 2012-12-02 22:31:13
  • all three of mine.. the vet

Yoshi is afraid of loud noises.. fire works, lightening .. etc.. it's funny because he used to be fine but last 2 years has developed fear.. but thats about it

Hana... timid girl.. loud vehicles, strangers, other dogs especially larges ones, car rides, coffee grinder.. the list has shortened since she's been with me for a while now.
  • SayaSaya
  • Kodi is afraid of fire of any kind, even from a torch. He will try to hide if he see fire. Thunder does mess him up, but not like gun shots and fireworks. And if he hears a metal chain he goes nuts, don't know about that one. I ca think that some one in his past may have abused him.
  • Toby is afraid of tubing, colored wires, gun shot like noises, fireworks, carpet scrubber only if I use the hand held part with blue tubing, and kennels. The kennel one is really bad he will start shaking and loose control of all body function so we only tried 2xs thinking the first time was a fluke since we had just got him home from the pound. We waited a few months to start crate training to let him get settled but best we ever got after six months was him not shaking when it is up in the room but he will not go near it even with cheese so we gave up. He also hates bicycles and will bark and try to chase them as they go by.

Nikita is only afraid of my carpet scrubber which I find odd because it is one that looks like a vacuum and she has no problem with the vacuum.
  • I haven't known Kit very long so the list is pretty short so far:

1. Airbrakes on buses
    2. Going into the vet's office (first time she was fine, follow-up after spay, I had to carry her in).

Things that get her Shiba "?!?!?!?" head tilt:

1. The statue in front of the natural history museum
    2. A Mr. Bill dog toy at Petco when I squeezed it and it said OH NOOO!
    3. Youtube videos involving barking dogs. She runs around looking for them.
    Post edited by Kitsune1 at 2012-12-21 19:02:11
  • Grace HATES to wear clothes. Sweaters, shirts, anything. She just freezes and stands still, refuses to move no matter what. She acts as if we are hurting her! She wore a sweater when she was younger but never seemed to hate it. It wasn't until she 1+ that we discovered how much she doesn't like to wear clothes.

Grace, unfortunately, also is afraid of children and usually growls at them. Her biggest fear of all is the bath, and screams for the entire time that she is in there.

• Zoe is afraid of manholes on walks, gas stations, cardboard boxes, plastic bags (we're slowly getting over that). Going to my parents and grandparents house even though we've been there numerous times. She's also scared of my laundry basket, granted it has wheels and I think the nose it makes is the reason. She also doesn't like the laundry room which is probably because of the basket. And she hates bath time and getting her nails done but she doesn't mind being brushed.
    Lets face it, she's scared of everything but other animals and her humans. She's my special little scardey cat haha.
  • zandramezandrame
    Storm drains seem to be a very common fear! I was wondering if something in particular happened to make Kouda afraid of them, but doesn't seem like it. Storm drains on the edge of sidewalks, the metal grate kind in lawns, and any manholes that have air holes.

Also, just yesterday Kouda had a fit when a Prius started backing out of a parking spot as we walked by. It seemed silent to me, but probably not to him.
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    Kit is scared of the vacuum cleaner... I can't really blame her though because I hate the thing myself. The noise! She also tries to attack the broom when you're sweeping, I'm unsure of whether this is because she's afraid or because she just thinks it's fun.

Also, she's smarter than my fiancee. When I raise my voice at other people/things she hides. I'm not yelling at her she just knows I'm mad at keeping out of the way is probably a good idea!
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    @slmatt14 - Kit totally does that too! She gives you this evil look like "why did you put this ridiculous thing on me" and then either sits there refusing to move or stalks off to her crate to hide so no one can see her. It's actually pretty funny.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • amtiamti
    Kaji used to be afraid of the vacuum cleaner, but he decided it wasn't that scary when he chewed the cord. He's been fine with the vacuum and just avoids it when it is turned on now. He dislikes getting his nails cut and being washed, but I don't think he is really all that scared of it. He does the scream and cry for mercy though. If someone else is there to help me, the cry can be avoided by bribing with treats. If he was truely scared, I doubt he'd eat. He was afraid of the garbage truck but after seeing it come and go after a few seconds, he's getting ok with it. He still won't go close, but he doesn't tense up and try to run in the opposite direction. Now, he just stands close to me and watches. One thing that baffles me is that he doesn't like to ride in the car. If he sees me grab my car keys before putting on his leash to go out, he won't come. And if I try to get him into the car, he pulls away and sits or lays down. So he could be scared of the car. Once he's in the car, he lays down and closes his eyes. Not sure if he gets dizzy but he has never shown an interest like most dogs in car rides.

Taisho on the other hand, loves the car and will jump in. I think his biggest fear is abandonment since he was left outdoors with other dogs for a good year by his previous owner. Taisho wouldn't go outside without me taking him. I would have to carry him down our deck stairs and wait for him to go potty before going back upstairs. He was also afraid of the dark (or maybe it was just abandonment) and so I always had to have a light on for him when I let him out in back (again with me there). He also cried/whined like crazy when crated in the beginning. Now he only cries while he thinks we are around. He still barks at a lot of mystery noises and we're working on the excessive barking. My mom's house is a corner lot with a huge yard near an elem school, so a lot of dogs and kids walk by the privacy fence. He likes kids and not always other dogs, so he makes himself heard- a little too much. Taisho is getting better about trusting us and going potty alone, even at night. My mom said he went by himself last night and she waited at the door for him. I really think he was afraid he wouldn't be able to come back inside if he went outdoors, so he opted to stay indoors. He really prefers being an indoor dog. His face is changing too... his eyes aren't so scared all the time now, and he is smiling a lot more now!
  • ArcticArctic
    Sansa won't step over grates when we walk down the street and there are grates on the sidewalk. She will freak out and do anything to not step over them.
  • Desmo is afraid of the sound of tin foil, when I roll it out of the container. Thinks it is really scary......and afraid and not wanting to go in the car, even though we go to good places in the car......not sure about that one.
  • I thought Rocco was the only one that had a freak attack over storm grates and manholes! He also hates the dust buster, but that's pretty common.
    I think the worst is fireworks. He's too scared to even freak out, he just curls up next to one of the beds, starts whimpering and shaking and we have to try and calm him down by petting and talking to him. Poor guy :( This happened the other day, a bunch of drunks on the beach shooting off fireworks for NO REASON. Stop scaring my dog, jerks! >:(
  • Interestingky, Sam dislikes the smell of alcohol-based sanitizer. Whenever he smells hand sanitizer, he would constantly bark and sneeze....
    Post edited by Znoopygirl at 2013-03-20 01:55:15
  • tatonkatatonka
  • RAM25RAM25
  • HaloHalo
    Halo is very scared of the vacuum cleaner, stairs(I don't know why), and being next to cars, yet she loves car rides
  • @Tatonka Dasha does the same position for unknown items. But she is mostly fearless thanks to her Min Pin sister who has no fear of anything (including a huge opposium that wandered into our yard the other night - both dogs went charging even though the thing is bigger than them). Dasha gets jumpy when people walk up behind her, especiallly when we are on walks!
  • tatonkatatonka
  • Mila is scared of my (NWU) Navy working uniform. When i get up in the morning i take her out and then change in to my uniform and eat breakfast and the whole time she is as far away from me as she can be. So i started to have to put her in her kennel and covering it with a blanket before i get changed to go to the ship every morning and change before i let her out. Not sure but i didn't want her to start not liking me cause i am in them.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2013-08-13 22:29:14
  • ebumuebumu
    This evening I found both Griffin and Mia are afraid of the juice that came out of a cooked lobster I was prepping. They each happily ate a chunk of lobster. But when I put a plate on the floor for them with the yummy juice, they freaked out. Crept up on their bellies, ran to the other room, crept up again, all alert and stretched out to smell it. Just like they do when they spot a garter snake. Scary lobster water!!! Boo!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • amtiamti
    I am not sure what Kaji is afraid of now, but my most vivid memory of his puppy day fears were the local garbage trucks. We were walking when the big noisy truck came down our loop. He cowered behind my legs and started wanting to go to the back of our house. I held him and told him all about the truck. As the truck took our garbage, Kaji barked at it, then as the truck rolled away, he gathered enough courage to walk a few steps toward it to watch it pass. So we went to the edge of the sidewalk and watched the truck pick up everyone else's garbage until it reached the end of the street and turned away. The second time, he was a little more comfortable and now he knows what it is and just watches. He still tenses up when a big work truck comes down the street, but he's not as scared as he used to be. He's like a toddler in so many ways. :)
  • kiba888kiba888
    Children...on bikes...lots of them.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • natashanatasha
    My shiba Yuki is so brave during bad storms and other loud noises but is terrified of the sound the pop up toaster makes, she actually shakes! She's also afraid of the guest bathroom, she's not afraid to enter it and walk around sniffing etc, but if anyone else enters the guest bathroom then IT'S VERY SCARY!!
  • So far our new Puppy is fear-less, which can be a good or bad thing and Sasha is afraid of just about everything, especially plastic bags! Why bags? I wish I knew. Sasha likes to analyze everything before she will go near it and also doesn't like when things are out of place (I.E. when I re arrange the furniture)
  • Sasha is also afriad of puddles lol
  • amtiamti
    Found out a new one yesterday evening on our walk. Kaji is afraid of men trying to jump start their motorcycles while they are pushing their motorcycle sitting down. The guy would push with his feet and then try to start the engine. The engine would make one or two rotations before dying out. All that sputtering made him worried, I think.
  • vihleevihlee
    Yoshi is afraid of the vacuum cleaner and fireworks.
  • Water
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • BearsDadBearsDad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)