For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Can anyone recommend me some harnesses? I know a lot of you use ruff wear, is there any others also?
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We use Lupine step in harnesses for our 3 Shibas.
    Post edited by brscrns at 2012-01-25 14:37:54
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Ruffwear webmaster. The only harness that my 2 escape artists have not been successful in getting out of. And I've tried a few different brands.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-01-25 15:35:47
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    EasyWalk harness continues to work very well for me. It's attached in the combat the pulling (if any). Leo has not escaped this...I've actually gotten so used to have the loop in the front that it was awkward when I used the Ruff Wear during our snow trip... Lol.

Anyways, link below:
    http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Harness-Large-Black-Silver/dp/B0009ZBKG4
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • LosechLosech
    Ruff Wear Web Master is the only harness I'll use on an adult dog. A growing pup where you aren't sure what size they'll need, just a regular over-the-head standard harness that is adjusted properly. Once they hit adult size, they get a permanent upgrade.
  • FPOFPO
    there is a red, size small ruff wear on here some one is selling.
  • I think we have some other harness threads? Anyway, I like this one a lot--I have it for my Shibas. Doesn't stop pulling though, but does stop the pressure on the trachea from the collar if they are pulling.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1771&ParentCat=202
  • we just got a SENSE-ible fron puppy class..so far so good
    http://www.amazon.com/SENSE-ible-No-Pull-Dog-Harness-Medium/dp/B000A7QPU2
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    The SENSE-ible looks and functions very similarly to the Premier Easy Walk. It is a bit more expensive on Amazon though - perhaps cheaper locally?
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • LosechLosech
    I'm pretty good at not buying anything full price. Scour the internet, use multiple search engines, shopping things (google has a "shopping" section, those things) until you find a good deal. See if it's got free shipping and if it doesn't, how much that raises the price. If it's still a good deal (with or without free shipping) then look into the company. Find reviews online and only buy if they are good and genuine. I also look to see if they have any type of coupon available. I manage to get stuff (not just harnesses) for 30-50% off easily doing that.
    I recently got a Ruff Wear Approach Pack for one of my bigger dogs for $53. They usually retail around $75.

This site: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/dog-packs-and-accessories#b
    gets Ruff Wear harnesses in every so often. The longer they are on the site, the lower the price goes, but if you wait too long someone else might buy it up. They are normally items that have been returned to a store but are still good for use.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-01-25 19:27:42
  • we paid 25 for the SENSE-ible. It only has one clip to put it on, where it looks like the Easy Walk has 2.
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-01-25 19:28:12
  • For some reason the Sense-ible worked on my akita and the Easy Walk did not. No idea why, as they are similar, but it's just so hard to tell what will work. (By work I mean it fit him ok, but did nothing to help with his pulling, while the Sensi-ible did). I suggested the comfort sport flex harness (above) to my godmother for her standard poodle and it didn't work on him at all, and she had a hard time fitting him, too. (He's got a fairly narrow chest).

It's the thing I hate about shopping for harnesses. Hard to get good ones locally to try, but it's almost impossible to know what will work/fit on your dog if you buy one by mail....
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-01-26 03:00:32
  • XabiXabi
    I have a Puppia brand harness which my guy seems to not have issue with. I have a few others which he has not got used to yet. It's easy to get on, just over the head and one clip strap around their body. It's a mesh material which has some elasticity to it, so it seems to have some give.
    X & I signature smaller
  • stralimstralim
    Make sure you get a good harness. I have noticed there can be shoulder issues that come up if your shiba tends to pull alot. Mine sure does. And then I notice her shoulders can have alot of heat coming off of them. I use Top Paw® Luxurious Nylon Dog Harnesses but I see there are alot of no pull harnesses as well. Ohh the technology for harness is growing so fast!
  • I think I'll have to try some on her in the stores and then buy online then! Wish the ruff wear had more colors!
  • dorapochdorapoch
    At what age should I get my puppy a harness?
  • Our pup doesn't come home until tomorrow and he already has 2 different types of harness, one of which is an XXS Ruffwear (not sure if it will fit him yet but that's why we have the other too).
  • LosechLosech
    @dorapoch Whenever you want.

I got Conker his first harness when he was 4 months old (when I got him) but like I said above, I wait until I know how big the dog will be as an adult to get a spiffy harness like the Ruff Wear kind. Until then, I just use the over-the-head type. There is a wide range of sizes and they are relatively cheap, but the first one I bought fit until he was about adult sized. I did get one of the step-in types to try it out but it's way easy to escape from and seemed to bug Conker a bit, so I hardly ever used it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)