For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
National Geographic Magazine February 2012
  • XabiXabi
    Has anyone looked at the Feb 2012 issue of National Geographic magazine? The cover story is about dog DNA and there's this gorgeous chart which lists eighty-five different breeds (starting with the Shiba Inu!) and categorizes their genetic traits into four different major classifications: wolflike, herders, hunters, and mastifflike. Each breed has a portion of each type in its DNA, but of the 85 breeds listed the shiba is the most wolflike.

Of the wolflike category it states, "With roots in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, these breeds are genetically closest to wolves, suggesting they are the oldest domesticated breeds." It's not exactly groundbreaking news or really anything of note, but personally I completely dig scientific information, and it's such a neat chart!

I'm geeking out on this infographic! I've tried to find it online, but I haven't been successful yet. I also did an independent study on wolves as a child, so I've always felt a bond to them, which may have informed why I've had such a strong bond to this breed? Okay, I'm done being so goofy, but I'm going to have to run out and get a copy of this issue after work today.

Here's a link to the cover story:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/build-a-dog/ratliff-text
    X & I signature smaller
  • cool! thanks for posting the link.

Snf
  • XabiXabi
    @sandrat888 You're brilliant! Thank you so much for uploading this.
    X & I signature smaller
  • catloreecatloree
    Wow, that's amazing! Love the chart!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Nice! Cool chart.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • AnnaAnna
    This reminds me of that thread from a little while ago where everyone was talking about how we grew up wanting wolves or wolf-hybrids.

Looks like we all got what we wanted! :D (Sort of, from a genetics perspective, haha!)
  • Fawkes702Fawkes702
    So cool!
  • May be this a silly question, if Shibas (and others at top of chart) have most wolf DNA - showing they have been domesticated longest...

Wouldn't the longer domestication mean less wolfiness?

(I am in no way not believing it, because I live with a Shiba and it explains a lot! :)

I just don't have a great understanding of genetics but find it very interesting..

PS..My mom called me about this article and felt like it explained Koji too -
  • @Xabi I did not scan the page. This was shared on FB by others and I just posted the link of the scan here for anyone that is interested.
  • NekopanNekopan
    I think the chart is really cool since it shows how related the various breeds are, but I don't think the categories are all that descriptive.
  • inupamuinupamu
    That's amazing!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    do you mind if I crosspost this on the nihonken side?
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Thanks for the article, it's great!
  • Wow, this is an very interesting chart. it wouldn't be my first guess that shibas got the closet genes to wolves among all dogs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion