For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Slipping and sliding!
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My poor dog is slipping and sliding all over the house when he walks fast or runs. What do you people with hardwood floors do about this?

While it was mildly amusing in the beginning, it's getting to the point where he seems scared of certain areas around the house where he has slipped or lost "traction" in the past. Around some corners he comes to complete stops and kind of "stalls" before he starts to walk again. He also seems to walk close to walls now in certain areas and we're guessing maybe he feels more secure next to something firm...? Our house is all hardwood or tile except in the bedroom so this is quite problematic. We thought maybe his nails were too long but even after grinding them down (dremel) he still slips!

Post edited by Calia at 2012-01-19 08:54:35
  • LosechLosech
    Keep the nails short, put some rugs down. That's about all I can think of.
  • I have seem some people use light boots on their dogs with this problem. You just have to remember to take them off periodically. You could try applying soft claws to his nails, the little rubber caps some times give enough traction. I have also seen little grip pads you can add to the bottom of dogs paw pads like a little sticker that seem to help some. The nail caps are nice to for they help to prevent scratches on your floors. There downfall is if you do a lot of walking on sidewalks they can get worn down.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    +1 for Short nails and area rugs
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • What do you use to clean your floors? We once used a polisher and it was like an ice pond
  • BootzBootz
    I use Bona to clean my floor. I try to keep Bootz nails short so it doesn't scratch/touch the floor. She doesn't any problems with slipping/sliding.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-02-05 23:35:04
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    We mainly just vacuum the floor and use a damp cloth here and there. We don't really use any cleaners or polishes on the floors. We're trying to be more diligent with keeping his nails short and it seems to help a bit. He is a little more cautious now but that's probably a good thing anyway. He doesn't seem to be afraid and stop anymore so that's a good thing!
    Post edited by AWE46M3 at 2012-02-06 18:25:53

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)