For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What are your goals of training your Shiba?
  • ADPT (The Association of Pet Dog Trainer) designated the month of January as National Train Your Dog Month to bring awareness to the importance of socialization and training for all pets. So in light of the campaigns, just want to know what your goals are for training your Shiba?

When I got my first dog Maluko 17 months ago, I was required by contract with my breeder to take her to at least one obedience training. It confused me at first because I did not understand why a pet needed obedience training, thinking it was just for dogs that are unruly or just a place to learn tricks, which I did not think I care if my dog can perform in a circus.

I started out with a local training facility, knowing absolutely nothing about dogs/training or canine behavior. We were taught many of the basic obedience commands like sit, stand, down, stay etc. I felt I learned something in class and enjoyed spending 1 on 1 dedicated time interacting with my dog.

I did another set of classes with her and started reading and learning more about training on my own through books/DVDs and going to seminars.

I believe training is not a luxury and is very important to good animal care. My goals of training is to enhance the qualify of life for my Shibas and teach them how to live in our world safely. Because they understand the rules/manners, they are very easy to live with and I can take them anywhere dogs are allowed. I can also try many different activities or doggie sports with them because they have a good foundation in the basics and we both enjoy spending time together.

So what are your goals of training your Shiba?

>>>>>> Info on the ADPT campaign and free webinar and Facebook Chats can be found below this line.

You can find ADPT press release here (http://www.trainyourdogmonth.com/media/20111221/default.aspx) along with information on their free webinars and Facebook chat on many dog/cat-related behavior/training topics.

Webinar
    Dog Safety: What to Teach Your Kids – Joan Orr

Got C.L.A.S.S.? Canine Life and Social Skills for Pet Owners – Ann Allums, CPDT-KA

Housetraining Basics – Teoti Anderson, CPDT-KA

How to Become a Professional Dog Trainer – Mychelle Blake, MSW, CDBC

It Takes Two: Successful Cat and Dog Interactions - Jacqueline Munera, CCBC, PCBC, CAP 2

Litter Box and Scratching – Katenna Jones

Loose Leash Walking – Gail Fisher

Separation Anxiety in Dogs – Melissa Bain, DVM, DACVB, MS

Setting Dog and Baby Up for Success – Jenn Shryock, CDBC

Shelter Dogs: Good Choice or Bad? – Trish King, CPDT-KA, CDBC

================
    Facebook “Chat with the Professionals” Schedule

To join the chats, visit the APDT Facebook page at the date and time listed below.

All about Bully Breeds! Anything You Want to Know about ‘Pit Bull’ Type Dogs
    Mychelle Blake and Katenna Jones
    January 2, 12pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Breed Discrimination Laws
    Ledy Van Kavage, Esq.
    January 4, 5:00 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Leash Manners
    Gail Fisher
    January 6, 12 pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Treibball
    Casey Lomonaco
    January 8, 7:00 p.m. (join the Chat here) join the chat

Adopting a Dog
    Trish McMillan Loehr, MSc, CPDT-KA
    January 9, 2pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Rabbit Behavior
    Pam Hood
    January 10, 2:00 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Parrot Chat
    Jamie Whittaker
    January 12, 12:00 pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Things to Teach Your Children to be Safe around Dogs
    Joan Orr and Teresa Lewin
    January 12, 6pm eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Safety around Dogs for Babies and Toddlers
    Jenn Shryock
    January 12, 7pm eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

TACT - Touch Associated Clicker Training
    Emma Parsons and Julie Robitaille
    January 16, 1:00 p.m. (join the Chat here) join the chat

Housetraining
    Teoti Anderson, CPDT-KA
    January 18, 6:30 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Introducing Cats and Dogs
    Jacqueline Munera, CCBC
    January 24, 12:00 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

APDT CLASS: Canine Life and Social Skills
    Ann Allums, CPDT-KA
    January 25, 12:00 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

APDT Rally
    Ann Allums, CPDT-KA & Ali Brown, M.Ed., CPDT-KA, CDBC
    January 25, 1:00 p.m. Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Common Dog Behavior Problems (Barking, Digging and More)
    Marjie Alonso
    Katenna Jones
    January 27, 4 pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

Cat Chat
    Mychelle Blake & Katenna Jones
    January 30, 5pm Eastern (join the Chat here) join the chat

• @Sandrat888 - I so agree that is not a luxury - The more you learn the more you see how important it is...

My goal was to have a happy, stable dog that could be trusted not to bite people :)

My last dog was a Jindo rescue and he could never be trusted with strangers. I got him at 1 yr he was found in a very rough area where he may have been used as bait. Whatever happened his first year, my naturally "aloof" Jindo did not take kindly to strangers.

Loved his nature/temperment with family and close friends, but it is exhausting to "manage" a dog like that for 15 years and his life was limited. (Still miss him soo much..)

My goal was to raise a confident, happy, Shiba with all his natural tendencies in tact.

I have been lucky as he's turned into a complete social butterfly - but he's still Shiba and will sometimes reel people in and then leave them hanging... hee hee...

Like you I fell into more and more classes...puppy, socializing, obedience, tricks, agility etc...They have been incredible for his quality of life...He will never be a military precision trained dog - he can learn anything very quickly - when he feeeeels like it :) and that's fine by me...

We just keep at it because it's fun and rewarding...and he can go anywhere with anyone so he has a great life, not locked away...such a relief...that's what it's all about...

Thanks for all the links...

PS..If I knew then what know now could probably done a lot more with my Boop :(
  • AnnaAnna
    I want a happy, predictable (temperament-wise) dog I can confidently take places.

Hammond is very out-going so half my work is already done, haha. He loves strangers, new places, other animals, little kids. Anyone who will let him lick their hand or maybe give him a treat is his best friend. (No issues with gender, races, height, weight, clothes, hats, accessories... he's pretty fearless)

But he throws some pretty wicked temper tantrums. So far really only with me, for things like being dried off after a walk, having his feet wiped off, trying to inspect his teeth, or being restrained (like to check a spot on his belly - Is that dirt? a Flea?? a TICK?? Oh it's dirt, okay thank god - or inspect where the cat just smacked him in the ear). He'll flail, scream, snarl, bite. So we're working on that in a reactive class. Try to get him to learn that's not acceptable.

Also working on resource guarding.

Other classes I want to just work on our communication. We're signed up for Intermediate Manners in Feb and I'm waiting for another Agility Foundations class to start (sometimes in the next few weeks there should be a sign up) to work on his focus and to give us something fun to do.

Most of my motivation to get a dog was that I'm living on my own for the first time ever (family, then roommates/dorms in college, then apartment roommates after college) and I was really anxious about it. I wanted a more... hands-on companion, so to speak, than my cat. A companion animal that would force me to leave the house so I wouldn't slowly become a crazy cat lady hermit.

So the training classes are just as much for me as him. He learns new skills, gets continued socialization, works on his impulse control, etc. and I am forced to leave the house and interact with new people regularly as well.

I just want him to be safe and happy. Knowing he's highly unlikely to bite some random child means he's safer than if he were unruly and unpredictable. And the more classes we do, the more his brain gets works, so the happier he'll be in that regard. :D
  • SayaSaya
    Nice subject. :)

Learn everything each day didn't know this.

My goal with Saya is to train her to behave well, to be friendly with kids and to learn tricks and have fun.

Saya is mainly my pet and due to her spinal injury as pup she won't be doing any competitive sports like I wanted.

We do agility in my backyard weave poles, jump and soon tunnel hopefully.

My main goal is to teach her fun tricks that serve no purpose, but to have fun and show off example(Kiss, bang, speak, bite(bites softly on objects I point at or my hand)).

Teach her things that will help her be more behaved example(touch, leave it, drop it, retrieve things like bucket, gloves, toys, cellphone etc., and walk nicely on leash and so on)

There's still so many things I still need work on with her, but she's pretty much reached the goal mostly. She loves to do tricks and learns easily. I love seeing my younger cousin's eyes light up when she kisses me on command or speaks etc.

I've also been working on recall and words like hey hey! means stop now I don't yell it or anything and she listens well since she doesn't hear me say it constantly, come she does well with this, but coarse still needs work under distraction of rabbit, deer, squirrel.

I know shiba are not great at recall, but it's well worth working every day because you never know. She's actually pretty good with it there's been times where she saw a rabbit she running right at it and turns right around and runs for me. She was on her 100 foot leash which I hold so no issue of her escaping, but still awesome she listened quickly..

I mainly want her to my traveling partner I love taking her to the farmer's market(don't allow dogs, but I stay on sidewalk away from it so she still gets meet market goers), down town, and to parties.

I want her to be my hiking buddy and seeing as she handled her 3hour and 25minute hike up and down hills in the woods and field she sure makes a good one at least in the winter time. hehe

She has taught me many things too I learned a lot with raw feeding thanks to her and coarse forum members her and their blogs.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    our goal for the month is to 1) graduate petsmart puppy school (next week :) im like a proud dad ... and i was shocked at his improvement but we are not totally satisfied) that being said we are going to do a local obedience class (in south nj,its called devil dog) and that will start in march .. we like that he listens to us better than when we got him but he doesnt fully understand verbal commands so we are hoping that with more time,effort we can get him to recall on command and obey "sit" "lay" etc with out using his treats as motivation
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    the petsmart thing was effective for socialization more so than anything which he needed as (dont hate us) we got him from a pet store that was going out of business so wasnt socialized properly but hes muuuuuuch better now ! (also he is a healthy pup and is a very big part of our little family and is loved very much ;) )
  • MayamaMayama
    Necessary goals:
    - Well socialized: We want to be able to leave Maya at doggie daycare/boarding when we need to travel; or if anything unfortunate happens to us, she can easily find a new loving home.
    - Good manners: So that she's welcomed to friends' homes or wherever dogs are allowed.
    - Bite inhibition: For apparent reasons, plus if someday we decide to have a baby, we can have one less thing to worry about.
    - Tolerate handling/touching: So that we can easily groom her and have stressless vet visits.
    - Confident: So she can have a good quality of life, not being fearful of new things or anxious when left alone.
    - Good recall: In case of emergencies, and also allowing us to take her to off-leash hikes and beaches.
    - No resource guarding against humans.

Not necessary but nice to have goals:
    - Something to show-off: doggie tricks.
    - Fun activities to do together: fetch, agility, rally, etc.
    - Pee/poop on command: she got the peeing part, but pooping will be hard, even for humans, lol.
    - No resource guarding against other dogs: kind of hard as she's the only dog, but if we plan on getting another dog, this is something we'll need to work on.

So far, I give ourselves an "A-" on the necessary goals, though the breeder should take most of the credit. The tons of socialization during her early months also really paid off. We still need to work a bit harder on her recall, as well as her occasional leash pulling and jumping. As for the nice to have goals, we'll probably only get a "C". It's part of my new year resolution to cut the slack and take on a few more classes/activities with her.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • MongizMongiz
    I don't want to have a dog I constantly have to worry about. Will he bite, will he run away, will he be afraid of this/that. I know some basics but I'll have to contact my vet about classes.

I'd really like to work coming when called. Would be a bummer to have to keep them on leash all the time.
    :) Thank you for posting all that info!
  • AnnaAnna
    @BrewSter "shocked at his improvement but we are not totally satisfied" Was pretty much how I felt when Hammond graduated. Even the trainer was like "I'm really impressed, he's really much, much better than the first class, but you'd probably benefit from the intermediate manners class"
  • Thank you all for sharing your training goals. I wish more people spend more time thinking about training as it really greatly affects the qualify of life of everyone involved, both canine and humans.

You can feed a dog the best qualify food you can afford and strive to keep your pup healthy, but as their guardians, I think more about how I can fulfill their life and make sure they can participate and be part of what I enjoy as my dogs enrich my life.

@Koji's mom

"I have been lucky as he's turned into a complete social butterfly - but he's still Shiba and will sometimes reel people in and then leave them hanging... hee hee..."

Your Koji sounds just like mine. My Koji is very tolerant of any people that approach him and want to pet him or even hug him, so I never worry about him meeting anyone. Strangers usually like him because he is handsome and outgoing. He always shows interests to new people, but he will quickly lose interests and just blow people off.

My girl Maluko on the other hand likes people, but is usually reserved around people that she does not know. For people that she really likes, she will be all wiggling, ears back and you can see the smile on her face that will melt your heart. Just ask Lindsay. :)

Is Boop your Jindo? Don't feel bad about what you could have done for him, but focus on your boy Koji now and any future dogs you may have. :) I wish I knew what I know now (and of course, I do not know everything now, but I definitely know more), so I could do some stuff differently.

@Anna

Taking puppies to classes really is a lot of fun for both people and the dog. It's great to hear that you are committed to provide Hammond a enriching life and integrate him in your life.

I really enjoy going to classes with my dogs, but I feel I learn the most from reading and studying on my own. Classes usually don't provide me with the basics/foundations of how dogs learn and focuses on teaching commands or fixing unwanted behaviors.

Knowing the theories/science of how dogs learn will equip you with knowledge, so you can plan ahead and focus more on teaching your dog appropriate behaviors and not just fixing troubled behaviors after the fact. It also gives you some idea to evaluate solutions suggested by others and ability to tweak any training plan to fit you and your dog's needs.

Just from the way you describe Hammond's temper tantrums, it does not sound like reactivity to me, but more like him being a dog and does not like being handled/inspected. Take some time to desensitize and counter-condition him to get used to these things will help him to accept these routines.

@Saya
    I did not know Saya has spinal injury. What happened?

Agility is probably one of the more physically demanding doggie sports out there. Have you considered doing other activities, such as Rally-Obedience, Nosework or Tracking with Saya? Saya sounds like a good hunter and I am sure she would love either Nosework o Tracking.

It is wonderful that you are teaching Saya tricks. I have started incorporating games/tricks more into our training, so training/work = fun, not just giving out treats, but also make it interactive with some actions/moving to get the dogs excited.

@BrewSter
    Great to hear that you are focusing on BrewSter's training so early in his life. A puppy is cute, but can be very handful too. It takes time, consistency to train your pup, but both of you will be so much happier together understanding what is expected of each other.

Going to classes and reading/understand the learning theory will help you better communicate with your dog. From my own experiences, I do not learn much about how dogs learn or the learning theory in any training classes, but having that knowledge is really very beneficial to better evaluate any training methods and tweak training to fit your own situations.

@Mayama
    I was very intrigued when I read the following "- Well socialized: ..... if anything unfortunate happens to us, she can easily find a new loving home." A well-socialized and well-behaved dog has a much higher chance of finding another home.

Sounds like you guys are doing a wonderful job with Maya and look forward to hearing more about your progress in 2012!

@Mongiz
    Good luck finding a dog for your family soon. In the mean time, read up on the training/behavior stuff, so you will be prepared when the pup shows up at your door step! :)
  • micomico
    We take Suki to a weekly obedience class and DD works with her in the ring but we all continue the training at home. We're lucky that the main trainer is nationally recognised and as much as he likes working with Suki (he's never had a shiba in his classes before) she responds immediately to him. He recognised something in her at one of her first puppy classes and has done a lot of research into the breed since we've joined the club.

The funniest times are when the class is working on something we've mastered at home and Suki will decide not to do it but as soon as Steve speaks to her she'll look over at me, then look at DD as if to say 'I knew what you wanted I just couldn't be bothered' before completing the command - they are intelligent dogs.
  • AnnaAnna
    @sandrat888 The classes I go to actually do focus on basics/foundations of how dogs learn. We get a lot of homework (things to practice, sometimes just tricks) but also a lot of reading material from dog behavior books.

I think maybe because it's run by the Humane Society (I'd rather know the sometimes high class-costs are going to a good cause - helping feed/care for the shelter animals - than lining someone's pocket), there's more of a need/desire to do everything to make sure pets stay in their homes.

The reactive class, yes. It's not exactly targetted at Hammond, but my puppy head start trainer said that. "He's not exactly a reactive dog, but he does have some impulsiveness issues, probably because he's still a puppy, and the resource guarding is getting more extreme. So I think you'd benefit a lot from the techniques and information from the reactive class." One of the other dogs in the class is a 1 year old pit bull mix whose owner is only in there because he gets too excited.

So yeah. He's not 'reactive' in the way most people would use it, but I'm hoping to get some knowledge on how to manage or curb those temper tantrums. I learn better from hands-on demonstrations, so it'll be helpful to learn how to desensitize him to being touched/handled and then apply those skills (or beef them up with my own reading - like I have the MINE! book but I'll feel more comfortable going over those techniques in class first)
  • Let's see, my training goals. I'm going to put my Akita in there too, ok?

1). Toby: One of my long term goals is to get Toby to an individual class to work on basic obedience again, and then see if I can get him interested in nosework or something like that. He needs to have his confidence built, first, so I think I'd like to get him into a training class first. While he knows most basic commands, it will be good practice for him to do them in a new place. One of the things I've noticed about him lately is that his apparent "confidence" masks his cautious nature, and because he's had so many bad experience with my other dogs, he's become much more cautious. So he always looks confident--tail and ears up, prancing, and certainly ready to take the offensive if he encounters another dog--I see that he's actually very hesitant to try to new things, go new places, and is always looking around to make sure it's safe. Can't blame him--he was very badly hurt.

So I think taking him to individual classes would be good for us both, and because he's really well behaved, unless there are other dogs present (and even then he ignores them unless they get close to him), would be the first step, and then perhaps we could try nosework or something. However, I'm in school myself and working, and don't even have a day free that I could squeeze in a class, so I can't do it till the summer. We'll just have to work on stuff on our own for now.

2). Bel: She's a hard case, and I probably can't expect much with her, as she has too many other problems (seizure disorder, extreme anxiety, etc). She hates going anywhere and meeting new people (sometimes she doesn't even like to meet people she's met before!), so a training class would be hell for her. She just shuts down when she's scared. But she does enjoy walks in her known neighborhood, so I can do more of that with her, and she is SUPER motivated by the clicker, if she's home and comfortable, so I'd like to work with her more with that and we could play nosework games. It would just be for us, to have something to do and keep her stimulated (she LOVES games, and whips through those kind of "find the treat" dog games very fast). This is something I can add pretty easily too, as I can always squeeze in a few minutes.

3) Oskar. Oskar is 1.5 years old, now, and we've slid on his training a lot. He's basically a sociable good boy, but he's also big and needs a lot of work. Right now there are two priorities: loose leash walking and resource guarding. The resource guarding is critical, as it's getting worse as he gets older. He bit Bel last night because she got too close to him when he had a bone (thank god he has a super soft mouth, but it's super risky because SHE goes nuts and it could so easily escalate). For the moment, no high value objects will be allowed unless all dogs are crated. I also downloaded Mine! earlier in the week and plan to start working on that with him. That's critical, followed by loose leash walking, as right now, he pulls so much (and is so big) that it's pretty hard to take him for a walk anywhere.

there's a reactive dog class in Santa Fe that I'd like to take Oskar to. He's not actually that reactive (though he is an Akita) but like Anna noted about her boy, mine has some impulse control problems and the resource guarding, so I think it would help him. But I can't do it right now, since it's on a day I have class....:( It would probably also be good for Toby someday.

Ok, so those are our goals! Sorry it's so long, but there are three, and we have a lot to work on!
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    i like this thread :) it gives me more hope for brewster ! ... and the traner said to us that he is very well behaved and moving fast ie.he sits on command but not to verbal only hand motions he also lays down and did 50/50 with "come" so we will coninue doing what we are doing and start another more advance class in march:) good luck to you all with your goals/needs with your pups/dogs
  • LosechLosech
    Hmm, well, I've got many training plans but some of them are secrets XP

Anywho, I need to work on recall a bit.
    Retrieving needs a bit of work too, since Conker would rather bug off and chew on whatever the item is, or drop it halfway back.
    Also, he needs some table manners. Dogs are NOT allowed ON TOP of the table.
  • XabiXabi
    I just started my youngest in puppy class yesterday, so we're getting her working on socialization and a lot of the basics. While I get her started on the "Nothing In Life Is Free" philosophy, I'm hoping to take my oldest back through some of the steps and reinforce some of those behaviors which I didn't do a strong enough job teaching him the first time.

Xabi still likes to jump up on people at the dog park which I'd like to curb. He's also a glove/scarf/hat thief, which I'd also like to see that eliminated. I may just have to hope for warmer weather! He's also a bit of a struggler when it comes to home grooming. When I need to brush/zoom groom his undercoat, he always seems to want to sit as a way to get out of it. And of course, RECALLS need work. Our recalls at the dog park really need help. I'm going to work diligently on the basics in the next couple months, and then search out an agility class to see if I can start doing that as an activity with my pack after the initial obedience classes are completed with Iker. I still plan on working with socialization for as often as possible. I've tried to get them to walk together (which is unrealistic at this point), but I'd like to see that happen by this summer.

That said, I'm going to read a few additional books which I've seen recommended here, and pick up some massage techniques to practice to help in the bonding process between my pack and me. I stopped in the library and perused a book they had and tried a few tips. I felt like my oldest, Xabi, was really receptive with just the few unique touches I could try on him.

I'm also looking at getting my own goals set in a more concrete fashion. Ideally I want my dogs to have the happiest life I can offer them, but I know I should make training goals more explicit in order to have a more defined target to aim for. And I hope to take more pictures of them as they grow and develop. Our AKC meet comes up in a few weeks, so I may try to enroll them in one of those. We'll see. I'm excited for what 2012 has to offer!
    X & I signature smaller
  • @Sandrat888 - yes - Boop was my Jindo - we would sometimes joke that part of his problem was he was mad because he got stuck with the name Boop (Boopie) :) He was so handsome and regal looking -

I think socialization would be the overall number one goal because everything else is so much easier when that is accomplished - and as others said they have the best quality of life that way...(even like was mentioned, if we were hit by a bus, they will have great chance of finding another home..

But thank you for bringing this up...I should be more methodical and set goals, I've had a lot of training for "Koj", but not really thought out long term -, just wanted him to not bite people :) and be happy.

• It's so great to hear what many others members have shared so far regarding training goals for their Shibas.

I started off with a very simple goal of having a pet that is easy to live with - calm around me, does not have to be friendly to strangers, but no aggression toward people, no counter surfing or pushy to get what they want (meaning no bolting out the door, no jumping to get treats etc).

If I could give advices to any fellow Shiba owners about training their dogs, it would be "don't think of training as a separate session you do with your dog. Every interactions you have with your dog is a training session. Training is not drilling, but make it fun as a game for your dog, so you both enjoy the time spent together."

I do have short dedicated sessions (3-5 minutes or shorter) to teach my dogs new things, so they get the concept quickly, but I usually end it or move on to something else they already know to keep them interested and engaged.

And think about what you want in a dog and teach the good behaviors (find a fun and kind way to communicate to your dog what is expected), so your dog learns doing the good behaviors is so much more rewarding than whatever behaviors you don't want (behaviors that your dog does without being taught is usually self-reinforcing for them, so manage their environment, hence the consequences and not the dog.)

And don't use "Shiba can't be trained to do XXX" as an excuse for not working with your dogs to learn important life skills, such as a very reliable recall or paying attention to you when asked. There is always room for improvement and if you do not bother working on these skills, they will not be there when you need them.

Have fun training your Shibas! You will be amazed at what they can do and learn.
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2012-01-17 13:49:08
  • micomico
    @sandrat888 we've found that a good time to work with Suki is when we're watching the tv at night and we make a game out of randomly calling her over or throwing something for her to fetch then when she brings it back we'll get her to go into a down or sit position.

At the moment we're working on 'leave' because she can be a bit rough with the kitten although he must like it because when Suki obeys and lies down the kitten pounces on her before they eventually tire themselves out and go to sleep together. Whoever calls her over puts a ball on the floor and gives the leave command.

As her formal training is treat based we're finding this is not only fun (for all of us) but also complements her other training

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)