For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Anyone have a fearful Shiba?
  • cmed24cmed24
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 14:18:22
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We have a fearful dog named Kuma also and we were recommended to read "Help For Your Fearful Dog" by Nicole Wilde. Kuma is 4 years old and off and on he goes through fearful stages. At times he will bark at everyday objects and activities. Sometimes when we take him for for walks, he only wants to be out in our yard and others he is more curious and will want to go 2-4 houses away. We try to be very patient with him. We have had since he was about 1 year old and he gotten a little better but not much. We had to teach him how to play with toys because he was afraid of them. He was a rescue.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    Rocky has been going through the same thing when I got him at 12 weeks. He was deathly afraid of people (even if they were 50 yards away) and plastic bags like the kind you get at walmart. I started taking him to family members houses, petco and even to the park to just sit and watch the kids play. I made sure to have plenty of his favorite treats on hand when I took him out for people to give him. He has developed an interest in people. He now likes to watch people and will even sniff the back of their leg if they are walking away from him but he backs off if they turn around and try to pet him. Every once in awhile he will let someone pet him right away but most of the time they have to hang around him for awhile first. I am still working on him with the plastic bags but he is getting better about that too. He is now about 6 and a half months.

Just be consistant with your training. I noticed that Rocky seemed to back track in his training a little when I couldnt take him out as much due to holiday hours at work. I also noticed that he seemed to get better the more command training we did. I think learning tricks like shake and rollover helped his confidence. Don't give up. I'm sure Kuma will get better with time.

• sunyatasunyata
  • inupamuinupamu
    My Nalah is a very fearful Shiba as well. She's doing a lot better since the time I got her. She still is scared of the noise plastic bags from Walmart make and other small items. The vacuum cleaner was a big one for her. Although now, she is more comfortable with it and doesn't run to hide in her kennel. With people, Nalah will be more active if you call her name and pet her. Other then that, she'll usually go hide under the couch. She has gotten use to my friends and family that come over. She will greet them at the door if she wants to.

• cmed24cmed24
    i am thinking there is hope for him as he gets older, at least to be a happy dog, i mean he doesnt have to be the mayor of the street, but at least not shake and be running away all the time. i really dont want to put him on meds, i am looking into a behaviorist its tough here in RI, not a lot of resources. i plan to get that book as well.

thanks everyone!
  • zoezoezoezoe
    My dog is fearful of a lot of things as well (going outside, strangers, different objects, cars, trucks, buses, etc.). I've tried a behaviorist as well but my dog is afraid of strangers so she wasn't able to work with her. The Thundershirt did not work for her. I've also tried a DAP collar and Rescue Remedy. So far I haven't found anything that is very helpful. These things have worked for some dogs so you might want to check them out.
    I was given doggy Prozac by the vet but have yet to start her on it. I'll use it as a last resort but I'm trying to give her more time to see if we can work on her fears w/o it. So far she seems even more terrified of outside (she now shakes uncontrollably, runs away and poops on herself every time we go outside) and we may need the use of medication to desensitize soon...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)