For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Home made treats
  • I have been searching through trying to find some good ideas and recipees for dog treats. Any one have any?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-12-17 09:50:19
  • LosechLosech
    I have no tried any of these but this site had a lot.
    http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes.htm

Here are some more.
    http://www.dogaware.com/diet/treats.html

If you're able to get The Honest Kitchen, and even if you can't, there are a lot of recipes on their site that do and don't use their foods.
    http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/knowledge/pet-food-recipes/
  • SayaSaya
    This is called fish fudge I seen it on dogster a few times.

2 small tins tuna in water OR 1 large can salmon in
    water
    2 eggs
    1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
    1.5 cups flour (all purpose, whole wheat, and oat all
    work well)

Put fish (with canning water), eggs, and garlic in a
    blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into bowl and add
    flour, mix well. Press into a greased 9x9 baking dish
    and bake at 350F for half hour. Half way through baking,
    cut into squares and continue baking. When done, allow
    to cool, remove from pan and break into pre cut squares.
    Store in the fridge in an airtight container.

I kinda did my own thing added some fresh cooked pumpkin in the mix a can of mackerel, can of salmon and two or three of sardines and since I added pumpkin I didn't add the water from the can.. Even if I didn't add the pumpkin I'd still have drained the water out..

I also added a bit of oats with it and used whole wheat flour.

Garlic is not needed..

The dogs like them I got them cut into squares and in little baggies in the freezer so all I need to do is take one out of the freezer for training.. I cooked mine for a bit longer, but maybe it's due to the pumpkin added or my location or oven I dunno.. Smelled good to me.

My mom has a recipe for for dog biscuits can either add peanut butter, cooked ground meat, or cooked liver to it dunno the recipe need to see where she put it.

I did this for Bella's birthday she loved it I used yogurt and peanut butter mixed together for the frosting. Tasted good I took a bite of one. lol

Dog Birthday Cake or Pupcakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    4 tbps natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
    4 tbsp cooking oil
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 egg
    peanutbutter
    1 cake or cupcake pan
    food coloring (for colored frosting) - optional
    small dog treats (for decoration) - optional

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients
    and mix quickly. Bake in a greased cake or cupcake pan
    at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. If you're using a cake
    pan, you may want to use one that's on the small side,
    as the cake does not rise significantly. A large round
    pan will create something that looks more like a cookie
    than a cake. After the cake has cooled, you can frost
    it with Kong liver paste and decorate it with dog
    treats. Store in the refrigerator.

For frosting peanutbutter and yogurt.

I got some other recipe for treats need to read them and write it on my pc so I can post them easier..

I use cooked meat cut into bite size for training bit more messy, but for recall it's a good treat also dehydrated meat or organs is good treat heart or liver etc.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2011-12-16 21:58:23
  • YukikoYukiko
    I'm going to try this one tomorrow: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/cheesy_dog_treats/ since Yuki loves cheese. I'll probably substitute all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and leave the garlic salt out.
  • pekupekupekupeku
    I really enjoy making jerky...it's affordable and the dogs love them!
  • Thanks everyone so much for the recipes. I can't wait to try them. Thanks Calia for the link. I was trying to find other discussions about treat recipes . I'll try them here over the holidays and see if they are also Tosh approved !
  • I am interested in getting a dyhdrating meat for Zach as a treat. Does anyone do this? I found one recipe where you do use chicken and the oven to make chicken jerky...has anyone else ever tried this?
  • SayaSaya
    Here's the recipe my mom had it's from my grandmother.

1cup wheat flour, 1cup corn meal, 1 egg, 3TB oil, 2 1/2 parsley, 1/4 garlic, 2/3 chicken stock.

Slowly mix in and add 1/2 cup cooked liver or peanut butter.

Roll 1/2 inch thin and bake at 350 on greased cookie sheet 20minutes.

The kind my mom made she used peanut butter natural kind and instead of corn meal she put oats in it and she didn't put parsley in it we didn't have any and again garlic is optional also be sure chicken stock doesn't have onion in it some of them do dunno if it hurt the dog, but rather not tempt it can always do this after boiling chicken for chicken salad or something..

Mom has made them with boneless chicken breast before she cooked it and then ground it up and mixed it in steak could probably be used I might try it with steak see how it turns out.

Here's picture of the finished product it is soft enough I can make them into medium size treats or smaller treats if I want and so far not too messy I just put some in the treat bag and my hands don't feel too greasy or anything.

Photobucket

Saya and Bella love these and my mom gave these treats in nice baggies to family and people she works with who have dogs and they love them even Shelby the sheltie who doesn't take any type of treats for a reward she has never gotten excited over a treat before till this. :D
    Photobucket
  • McYogiMcYogi
    I like taking large sweet potatoes and cutting them into slices about 1/4" thick and dehydrating them in the oven for 4 or 5 hours at about 200 degrees. I saw a packaged item at the store and thought it would be more cost effective and fun to do it myself. It was so easy!

• I made Zach the pb cookie recipe today. He loves them!!!!
  • YukikoYukiko
    We made the cheese cookies and they were a big hit! http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/cheesy_dog_treats/. We substituted all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and left the garlic salt out.
  • I make boring, easy, cheap & tasty liver treats:

1) Buy 1-2 pork livers (cheap - like $1.25 each)

2) Boil pork liver for about 20 minutes (low boil/high simmer) - maybe with some smashed garlic cloves in the water for taste

3) Wait for liver to cool - cut into dice about 1cm cubed (half-inch cubes)

4) Spread on a baking sheet and bake in 200F oven for 90-120 minutes

5) Cool and put in a bag in the freezer

These are easy to transport, don't really spoil when you keep them out in the open air (they just get harder and more dehydrated), they're natural, nutritious (I assume) and cheap
  • MomooMomoo
    I have a food dehydrator and Kimi loves the dried beaf heart and dried apples.
  • FoxysMumFoxysMum
    I'm having a birthday party for Foxy this Sunday. Having her neighborhood doggie pals as well as two of my daughter's friends and their dogs over in the backyard. If I can manage to get one pic of all the dogs at the picnic table with hats on and Foxy in front of her cake I will be ecstatic. I was playing with ideas for cupcakes then decided to keep it simple and bake a meatloaf in a cake pan and frost it with peanut butter. We'll slice it after pics and each dog can get a piece. Question...how well would you cook a meatloaf for multiple dogs that aren't yours?
  • SayaSaya
    What do you mean how well done? like well done you want your burger? Or something else?

I'd cook it all the way most likely.

Saya and Bella love hamburgers.
    Photobucket
  • FoxysMumFoxysMum
    Yes Saya, that's what I meant. I cook everything pretty much well done; but was wondering if it would be more appetizing to dogs a bit rare...but then wondered if that was safe. I'll stick to cooking it well. We actually put off her party until this Saturday to follow a local dog walk and show. Its going to be interesting :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)