For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Walking Sora has been extremly difficult
  • In the past two weeks, ive notice that Sora just wants to go where she wants to go. She will not walk and will either pull away or just stay in place. I try to gently pull her, keep a short leash and use treats. If I start running then she will run with me. Is this just a phase? I have not yet taken her to puppy classes yet but planning to after the holidays.
  • _*She will be 5 months on the 25th and I use a harness
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    You both need classes it sounds like :) it's easier to teach her good leash manners when she is young.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • i share your pain! this is Kuma exactly. she will be 5 months on the 18th, and i use a harness-- so this could be a phase. (let's hope!) i'm going to start trying the "green light/red light" method tonight, although i'm apprehensive that this will fulfill her exercise requirements... anyways, if that doesn't work, i will be signing our butts up for a class. ;)
  • OK, just in case this helps-- I took Kuma into a private room, put on her harness (lots of treats) and attached her leash. Breakthrough-- she is afraid of the leash! She would barely even move with it on. Just sunk down. So I made trails of treats and cheese, let go of the leash, and just got her comfortable with moving with the leash on. When she had the leash between her and a treat, she would freeze, and try to avoid it. It took her a while, and I think this is going to be a long process. But hopefully this will help. I took her leash off for a bit as a reward, but I think in a while I'm going to put it back on and let her wear it around the house for a bit to help her adjust.
  • tkfushtkfush
    Yuki was the same way! When I would call her she just did her own thing and continue to do her investigations. In fact, it was my belief that some how her nose and ears had a weird connection that when her nose was working, her ears somehow stopped!

What I started doing was keeping treats in my pocket when we walk and when I would call her name and she looked at me, I would give her a treat. Getting this started was really difficult because I couldn't get her to look at me at first. But after the first couple of times, it go easier. Then I would treat her if we were just walking and she would look back at me without me calling. What this has done is she is now always checking in with me to see where I am. I don't do this on every walk, maybe once or twice a week so she doesn't expect to get treats everytime we go out. And the first time was treat heavy (maybe 15 times during the walk) but each time after, the game would become less and less (once or twice during a walk).

Yuki now glances back at me every so often and stays fairly close (just in case I might offer her a treat!) The next game we are going to start soon is I'm going to constantly change directions when she gets in front of me to try to get her to keep up with checking where I am at etc.
  • to piggyback on what re_bekah said, it's helpful for a lot of things to get a lightweight leash with a plastic clip and cut it short and let the dog just have it hanging there as he goes through the day...

(cutting handle off protects from getting caught on things,...) he should step on it and trip on it a bit which helps him get used to the leash on him and you can grab hold of it if he's trying to dash out door or whatever...
  • @Lindsayt....haha I love Internet experts!

@re_bekah, tkfush, and Koji's mom...thank you for the feedback. Definitely things we will look at.
    Post edited by franscene16 at 2011-12-14 21:03:16
  • lindsaytlindsayt

That isn't Internet pseudo expertise. You asked for advice. A good training class is really more for the owner than the dog, so that is my suggestion for you. I found hands on guided training lessons to be far more helpful than troubleshooting from a computer. But, what do I know about training Shibas...
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    @franscene16 - I agree with Lindsay... Getting hands on experience from a certified positive reinforcement trainer is a million times more helpful that reading written advice online or in a book.

The training really is more for the owner/handler than for the dog. The trainer will teach you how to communicate what you want from the dog in an effective and efficient manner. It really is a very helpful tool. Especially if you have never taken a class before. (And even if you have, it is a great bonding experience and something that I do with ALL of my dogs when they are puppies.)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • XabiXabi
    @franscene16 Lindsayat and sunyata are right, puppy training classes are a must for several reasons. You get socialization time (with new people and other puppies) for the puppy, better bonding between the two of you and there's a lot of discussion about training topics and techniques.

As far as walking goes, this youtube link has Dr. Ian Dunbar giving some helpful advice. I like where he says "socialization and classical conditioning never stop."

X & I signature smaller
  • Well of course you should always get a trainer - (Koji has been in classes non-stop since small puppy)...The correct answer to almost every question on this forum is to get a good behaviourist, take a class, or ask your vet.

Wearing a drag lead around house is something I learned from Dr. Dunbar and my classes...I certainly don't try to pass my self off as any kind of expert on anything.

I thought the point of a forum was for people to share things they've learned and offer encouragement- but yes, the default is always go to a trainer.

And on the occasion when people offer bad advice, thankfully the forum is pretty quick to counter it...
  • Koji writes: "The correct answer to almost every question on this forum is to get a good behaviourist, take a class, or ask your vet."

-- Agreed that advice may sound redundant, however those comments are valid for a reason. On a large group forum like this it is very very difficult for the best of trainers to give actual fully effective advice that is 99% on target for a specific individual and their dog not knowing observing or handling their canine.

Hands on help provides greater accuracy and modeling and allows for less mistakes and/or reducing ill suited treatments. If one does hear the same responses repeated it is for the safety and well being of each owner and their dog to gain follow up by a professional.

Some input from others is often helpful, but again, not every shoe fits or applies, context is everything when teaching and training as well as treating for medical conditions.

Consider responses offered here, but back with solid input from a professional that can get to know you and your dog hands on and this is where, training and socialization classes offer so much.

Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-12-15 15:19:51
  • I know I need training classes she starts next week. I was just talking about the time being and if and anyone else was experiencing the same.
  • No, it's not a phase. For most dogs, pulling on the leash is the default behavior, until they are taught otherwise.

I think walking in a polite fashion on the leash is a really hard thing to train, and honestly, I've not had that much success even with pretty good trainers. Group classes or one on one classes--while I get a pretty good idea of the theory behind training methods, and often the dog does ok with no distractions in class, once we're on a walk, it's a lot harder.

So while a good trainer is,in fact, a good answer, I just thought I'd add it only helped me so much. It's handler error--I'm not that great with teaching loose leash walking. I've been saved by the fact that one of my Shibas pretty much just doesn't pull much, and while the other does, I manage it by using a harness on her. I do still need to work on the Akita though--he's HUGE and while he was pretty polite as a young dog, he's not been so good with loose leash walking lately.

Not that this helps you with your training, but yes, this is something almost all dog people go through, and it is not the easiest thing to train for, either.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-12-31 03:49:44

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)