For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Lighted Dog Collars
  • PuzzlePuzzle
    Hi there! My boyfriend and I are working with Kira (almost 5 months old) off leash, and she's doing remarkable well. Even with doggy and kitty distractions! Always stays near us, comes when she's called more often than not. However, sometimes we take her out at nighttime, and we are unable to see her, so we were thinking about getting a lighted collar, or glow in the dark or something! I was wondering if anybody knew of a reputable website or store that carries these, because I'm very interested in purchasing one! Also - some jingly bells that dangle from the collar would be great as well.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Just a word of caution... Especially if your dog is not reliable (i.e. "comes when she is called more often than not" means that she is not reliable with recall), it is not recommended to have him or her off leash after dark. There are MANY more distractions at night than there are during the day and it is much harder to keep up with your dog when you are unable to see her. Also, other people, dogs, cars, etc. can not see her either.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Not getting into the off leash training bit, but in response to your request, I just searched amazon for small battery powered lights. I found some things that might work if you're able to do a little customization yourself. The easiest and most promising thing i found were these led shoelaces. This could easily be woven thru any existing collar and the battery housing could be easily sewn to the outside.

http://www.amazon.com/PLATUBE-LACES-ORANGE-BLUE-SHOELACES/dp/B004JFP44Y/ref=pd_sim_hg_5

There are also various small battery powered lights that could be attached to a collar, but those might be too bulky.
  • LosechLosech
    There are plenty of light-up collars and dangly light things you can get, but I don't know which are good or not. I don't walk Conker off-leash after dark as a precaution, but he does have a light that I attach to his harness for those nights when the fog is so thick you can't see barely ten feet in front of you. Better to light the fog up around us like a red balloon then get runover by someone.
  • sunyatasunyata
    As for lights in general (again, you might want to re-think the off leash at night idea), you can get some rear bike lights to attach to a harness...

This is the rear light that I use on my road bike. It can be seen from about a mile away at night.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034_1.html
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    REI makes a LED collar. I used this when we went camping and I had to do potty walks after dark around the camp grounds (leashed). I am extremely careful after dusk, even in my own yard, and don't even really do leashed walks during and after dusk. The poor visibility and emergence of coyotes and owls is a huge concern, so I let the dogs out to potty with their big guardian dog, and then it's right back inside. I have to agree with Sunyata, and hope this is going to be used for some on lead walks only.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Since my thread got closed, I was was told to post here.

I really like this light from Mounds, but they don't carry it anymore. Does anyone know where I can get one..It's really nice and easy to turn it on by pushing down on the top...there are new one like the one below but they are very hard to turn on. Some I have seen you need to push against a hard surface to turn on.
    Photobucket

http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/collarlight.html
    Anyone have recommendations?

I don't want a collar. I don't want a bike light

Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-03-12 17:01:34
  • KitsuKitsu
    @BuckyBadger I was going to say if you wanted a collar, This Collar is pretty nice but since you just want a light I would recommend this

• @Kitsu 's recommendation is what i use too! the Nite Ize spot it pet light is awesome. Especially for a black/tan like Kip. He gets complements on his little strobe light all the time!

http://www.rei.com/product/762179/nite-ize-spotlit-led-pet-light

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Thanks for the responses, our pet stores have something like that but the clerk had to push it really hard against the counter to turn it on...is this one pretty easy?

• KitsuKitsu
    It's pretty easy, definitely don't need to push it against a counter.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    thanks a bunch

• well, actually i found that it does require some force to turn on. I have both the red one for Kip and a white one for my keychain and it turns on like a button. you have to press down with moderate force with your thumb.
  • KitsuKitsu
    Well moderate force , yeah. But not pushing on a counter hard. You get used to it.
  • LosechLosech
    I've got this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Flashing-Safety-Light-Belt/dp/B001JPS5BQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1
    But I use it on a harness, not a collar. A clip-on one like mentioned above would probably be better for a collar than that one. I also have two generic round red flashers for my other two dogs. Those clip onto their harnesses or packs.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-03-13 02:32:28

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)