For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How do I know if my puppy is in heat?
  • My puppy, Penny, turned 5 months old this week. She's always been a nibbler, but the past few weeks haven't been as bad as when we first got her. However, the past few days she's been REALLY mouthy again, to the point where it seems like more than just teething. She's also been panting a lot, and last night (sorry if this is TMI) when we were playing with her she got really excited and started humping! Does this mean she's in heat? Is 5 months old enough for that?

We're not getting her spayed until February. I'm not sure what to expect ... how long does this last?
  • SayaSaya
    Saya humped Bella at 5month or 6months forgot she did it because Bella would not play with her and Saya was extremely excited and wanted to play now. She does it with my cousin's pug when she doesn't want to play too..

Some dogs hump out of excitement play and so on.

Dunno if she is in heat check for blood? Extra mouthy could just be excited Saya is mouthy when she wants play hard.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    As Saya said some dogs hump out of excitement.

In terms of heat you will notice a change in the shape (swelling) of the labia around the vagina and vulva.

Here's a link for everything you might want to know and more.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/the_normal_canine.htm
    犬竜
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond's first hump was when he was 9 weeks old. It was two days after I picked him up and I'd brought him to work to show off/socialize and when he met my company's executive director he thought it'd be appropriate to hump his stuffed lion. XD

He didn't do it again for a while, but for the past few weeks he's started doing it when he gets really wound up (he's currently 16 weeks). So far he's tried to hump: a spayed 10+ year old wheaten terrier, a 6 month old unspayed pug, a couple year old unspayed doberman mix, a spayed 2(?) year old pit bull mix, (not sure if fixed or not) 3 year old great dane... Sometimes he won't even hump the dog itself. In the case of the doberman mix, he'd be underneath her with his nose stuck into her belly/the crease where her back leg meets her body and he'd be humping the air.

All of those situations were very energetic/exciting. He's never humped a mellow dog or in a mellow situation,

In high school my friend had a very energetic (and horribly untrained) border collie that would hump every animal she met. She's hump it's rear end, face, legs, didn't matter. She'd get so excited every single time that she'd go on a humping frenzy, haha.
  • TengaiTengai
    First 5 months is a little young, not unheard of but a little on the early side. (I have girls that started first heat at 5 months 1 week or so) Humping by a girl is not neccesarily estrus behavior, although my girls start humping each other and the boys anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so before they actually come into heat. The true indicator is swelling of the vulva and presence of blood. If you think she's coming in, swipe her vulva everyday with a white tissue. When you see blood she's in. By doing this you will catch it from the first day and know exactly when she started so you can keep her away from any unneutered boys!
    Phil
  • Leelu acted the exact same way right before she went into heat - she bit way harder (and growled a lot more) when we were playing and she started humping us! Before too long we started to notice drops of blood in our bed. She was about 5.5 months old and just a couple weeks away from her spay procedure.
  • Penny turned 5 months on the 6th ... she's been barking more often the past few days and definitely biting harder. We're not getting her spayed until Feb 3rd, we wanted to wait until she was over 6 months. Thanks for the advice everyone! Hopefully the next 7-8 weeks are not too bad!
  • Definitely go to a pet store to get some diapers, or do like we did and put her in some underoos lined with a pad (you'll want to cut a hole to let that tail free...before and after photos below)! ;) (Sorry for the spam! I can't help myself!) :)
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Post edited by LeelusMom at 2011-12-09 21:49:41
  • BootzBootz
    wow...her tail. I dont recognize that cartoon character :(
  • @Bootz, it's Thor :)
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • CaliaCalia
    Instead of cutting a hole, you could take some boys briefs and use the pee hole as a tail hole.
  • Aww she's so adorable! She looks like Penny :) How long did she bleed for? Is it once a month until they get spayed?
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Heat will occur every six months or so until being spayed. The cycle will last for three weeks. With discharge and bleeding at the beginning of the cycle and fertile at 17-19 days counting from the start of the cycle (proestrus stage).
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2011-12-10 00:00:28
  • @micheleelyse - Thanks! She bled for about 2 weeks and was still bleeding when we took her in to get spayed.
  • TengaiTengai
    Some girls are fertile much earlier than day 17. Generally when she starts bleeding keep her away from intact boys
  • ArcticArctic
    So, I'd just like some information from those more knowledgeable. Sansa turned six months old last Sunday. A few days ago, she started trying to hump my leg while we were playing. It's the first time she'd ever done that. Tonight, while playing she did the same thing. I picked her up like a baby with her belly-up to me and I noticed a tiny amount of bloody by her genitals.

Is she going into heat?

Next Thursday she is going in for her pre-spay blood work as mandated by our vet. A few days later, Wednesday the 12th (a week from this Wednesday) is when her spay is scheduled. If she is going into heat, how much can I expect her to bleed? I'm a bit concerned by this just because I've never had to deal with this, and I'm wondering what's going on and what I should expect if that's the case.

I originally wanted to have her spayed around Thanksgiving, but my girlfriend started work at an animal hospital in September, and on December 5th a discount kicks in of 75% all veterinary care. This, combined with the fact that my girlfriend actually works there, has us wait a few weeks longer to have her spayed, but it seemed it may be a bit late! I was hoping to have her spayed before her first heat!

Any thoughts? If she is going into heat (which, I feel like is definitely the case), what do I do? Anything to keep in mind, any considerations? I've never had to deal with this, and I'm not sure what to do.
    Post edited by Arctic at 2012-12-01 18:25:27
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It sounds like you waited a month too long. Bad girlfriend, bad! You will need to give her a couple months now before you can spay her. No dog parks, no off leash activity other than SUPERVISED play time in your secure back yard, NO contact with male dogs for one full month. Shibas are pretty clean, but some can be real gushers.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • ArcticArctic
    @lindsayt, so if she is in heat (or should I say, since she's in heat) does that mean I can't go ahead with her spay on December 12th?

As for the other stuff, she will definitely not be going to any dog parks or anything now. She will be under a most-watchful eye.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Well, most Vet's won't spay mid heat. It's not advisable for several reasons. You will need to discuss this with your Vet.
  • ArcticArctic
    Yeah, it's probably not going to happen. I'll consult with the vet. One more question: can I take her to a playdate with her best friend? He's a male bichon frise that is neutered. Or is that a no regardless of if a male dog is fixed or not? It was planned for the dog's secure backyard, no other dogs around.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    His behavior might be different since Sansa will be emmitting pheremones. He might follow her around sniffing her privates. Sansa might also not be receptive to him and be aloof since she will be in "I am looking for a mate mode".
    犬竜
  • ArcticArctic
    Well, I think we will skip the play date. And I guess I should buy her some diapers or something for the coming discharge? Sigh, I am not happy. I was hoping to avoid this! I may have been naive, but I did NOT think she'd be going into heat at exactly six months! I thought we'd have the two weeks of leeway I needed to get her spay scheduled!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    She won't be looking to mate, she will most likely be looking for a way to hide and will be terrified of all the attention to her rear end (I'm guessing), or extra snappy and short tempered. Make sure to give her a good bath with an odor neutralizer when she is finished with her heat (give her a full month, even if she isn't bleeding).
  • JuniJuni
    I never used any panties for Juni, she kept very clean, we just covered the sofa to protect it if she would want to lie there. Like lindsayt wrote she might not be in a very playful mood right now otherwise it would be ok in my opinion to play with other females or neutered males. But she's swollen and sore and moody probably and all dogs will be very interested in smelling her.
    Spaying should be done 2 months after her heat to make sure all hormones are at a low level.
  • RyanRyan
    Speak to your breeder for advise on recognising signs, and when to expect seasons in their lines. Speak to your vet too.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • JuniJuni
    If she is bleeding and swollen I don't think you need to ask for more signs...
  • Creamy is bleeding and swollen. LeelusMom, How did you manage to get your shiba to wear a pair of pants? Mine tears everything!!! including her sleeping mat.

Really fast out.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I bought the doggie diapers for Mitsu who was having some peeing issues due to medication. I slipped it right on and she didn't mess with it at all. I guess I was lucky.
    Photobucket
  • HanakoHanako
    bumping this since I can't tell if Hanako's in heat or not. Nothing's changed really. I've seen two discharges but nothing bloody. If she's in heat this is supposed to be her second week.

The vet couldn't tell either except that her vulva was swollen.

Any other way I can tell except finding a male and see what happens? haha

I've seen both pinkish discharges and yellow/clear discharges.

I think she's been cleaning her vulva more often than normal, I haven't been staring at her all day to see if she has though.
    Post edited by Hanako at 2013-03-11 20:31:57
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Is this her first heat? If so the flow might not be heavy.

Even a neutered male will react to her hormones.
    犬竜
  • HanakoHanako
    Yes.

@kumaDUDE, can I borrow Kuma and see what happens :D haha

In all seriousness, I'll probably take her to the vet in two weeks and see what they say. I'm waiting till end of March to be safe before I take her out again.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yeah you can borrow him, if you want hahahah
  • First -- wow! There are so many threads on this subject!!
    Second -- wow! I am SO thankful for this site!! It's been a few years but I'm reviving this thread because it's the most relevant one I've found so far.

To the point:
    I was wondering the other day whether Sachi might be approaching her first season.

(1) She's been humping a bit -- at first, although the maneuver caught my eye and raised an eyebrow, I wasn't sure it was humping while she was playing with other dogs. But all in the same timeframe she started humping my wife and her toys. Nothing excessive, and I haven't noticed it for the past few days.
    (2) She started needing to "pee" really frequently -- a few times per hour. I say "pee" because this was a bit different from her norm -- these are just quick squats -- like, one tablespoon full and moving on. She had been REALLY good about going outside to pee but over the course of a week or so she relapsed and we had several small (silver-dollar-sized) spots on the carpet. I wondered whether this might be more along the line of "marking" of something.
    (3) She's been what I will call "moody" lately. This is tougher to explain but here are some examples: **She'll go off by herself more frequently and a bit further away from us than usual. **She's a little nippier than normal -- I think that makes sense given her age (teething) but she's particularly nippy with my wife. **Her eating clock is all messed up -- timing, appetite, finicky'ness, etc. **In some ways she's more calm than usual but in others she's completely amped up! **General increase in stubbornness.

I haven't seen any bleeding or swelling -- and she's only 4mo old. (That's 4mo now and these things started a week or two ago...)

I read elsewhere that the 6mo mark is pretty normal for first season, but, in small breeds, something as early as 4mo is not unheard of -- so I started digging here. I think I'll get diapers and start doing the daily tissue suggestion.

Does this sound like "pre-season warmup" to you all?
    Does it sound like the normal Shiba routine?
    Any input or advise out there?
  • JuniJuni
    I don't think it is pre-heat based on her age,4 months would be very early and based on my experience with my girl's first heat. She was swollen for months before she actually came into heat and started bleed.
    Puppies that hump usually do it as a stress release but the peeing could indicate an UTI I guess.
  • @Juni Thanks!!
    I was thinking it would be too early too -- good to know about possible advanced swelling as an indicator! Fortunately, #1 and #2 had both subsided over the past several days. We have our last round of vacs scheduled for later today so, I'll probe the vet as well -- especially if there are potential UTI issues...
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I was always told that dogs hump for a variety of reasons, but females in particular do it to either show dominance at that moment or (more likely) simply because it feels good and she likes doing it.

Might be a UTI, if it is it's probably causing her a fair amount of discomfort & that's likely where her finickyness is coming from.

Laika didn't go in to her first heat until after 8 months, her precursors were less obvious but still noticeable .. she just licked herself more than normal during the week prior to swelling. Only personality changes we had were she became much MORE affectionate, which hasn't gone away (thank goodness, it's so adorable!).
  • Thanks here too!
    Last round of vacs complete today. Given the rest of the info and since non of these things have continued for several days, the vet didn't seem too concerned with the symptoms -- but we'll make a follow up appointment for a urinalysis if she continues the frequent peeing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)