For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Coats or jackets?
  • Do any of you live up North and put coats, jackets, or sweaters on your Shibas? If so, what brands or styles have you found work the best?
  • LosechLosech
    I'm not really Northy North but I don't think Shibas need coats/jackets/sweaters. They've got the perfect fur-type for cold weather and unless they've got a bad coat, they don't need one. Conker did fine in St. Louis in the winter (snow and ice) and he didn't have any undercoat.
    But if I were to get one for Conker, Ruff Wear is the only brand I'd go for.
    (I do have a pumpkin sweater for Conker but it was a gag thing)
  • bobc33bobc33
    I live in Western MA and winters can be quite cold. I've been amazed at just how thick a Shiba undercoat is. It can be below zero and windy and Scout will sit out front totally exposed for an hour or more. That is about the limit I'll let her stay out in that weather but it doesn't seem to bother her at all, and if left up to her she would stay out longer.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • What about boots then, do any of you use those?
  • We live in Baltimore, MD and the past few winters have been brutal with major snow accumulations and low temps. I only used a coat on Ginger when she was a puppy and it was her first winter. Now if we let her, she'd play all day out in the snow. As far as boots go, I don't think I could get them on Ginger and if I could, I definitely think she would have a Shiba-tanrum! Are you worried about the salt on the roads and sidewalks? Just be sure to wipe paws when you come back in from a walk.
  • Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2011-11-27 20:05:55
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • My male would scream from the cold snow on his feet last winter but my female was fine, so I'm just trying to be proactive this year for his sake.
  • LosechLosech
    Again I'd probably go with Ruff Wear is Musher's Secret didn't help. (You think I might be a bit biased here? Heh.) You can successfully train most dogs to put up with boots if you do it slowly with lots of bribes. If you get some, don't just put them on and watch your Shiba walk around all funny. First get his feet used to being touched (if he isn't already) then put a boot on, treat, take it off, treat, rinse and repeat until he's fine with them. It can take a day or several weeks depending on the dog.
  • SayaSaya
  • LosechLosech
    @Angelofmusic720 Yes, he grew it back. He'd shed it all out in the middle of winter and it took a couple weeks to grow back, so it was somewhat odd for a bit there.
  • Our guys have coats and t shirts and sweaters and costumes but its mostly for our amusement. If we take them out in the snow we'll throw one on Tanuki, his fur accumulates ice balls, and it's easier to dress him rather than have to melt them off when we come back in
  • catloreecatloree
  • ha my dog will not move with a sweater or jacket on. His favorite treats didn't help at all. He'd just sit and give me a really mad stare. haa
    In terms of boots, I have actually been meaning to ask the same question.
    I live in NY and I've lived in the same neighborhood for over 5 years now and I've noticed that every winter…light or heavy snow, the amount of salt poured outside everywhere is really excessive…which is safe for me and the people in the neighborhood but not for pets. I was or wipe his feet every time we come back home from a walk because he likes to jump on my bed and play and its basically his "castle" throughout the day until I go to sleep. But I wanna know peoples experience w boots on their shibas. RuffWear seems worth it, pricey but I don't mind if I know that it works on another shiba before I get one for jasper.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2011-12-18 10:59:52
  • Our experience is the same as Jasper's--Ponta freezes up when we put his raincoat on. He'll barely budge, and trying to take him outside is kind of futile.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)