For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
dogs act different with different people
  • Do you guys ever feel like your family fulfills different roles for your Shiba? For example, I will try to get Kioshi to play at night after I've been at work but he never is interested for more than a few seconds. But then my husband comes home and he suddenly loves to play. With me Kio loves to cuddle, if he is in a cuddly mood it is usually me he comes to. Anyone else have experiences like this? I know its silly and giving human emotions, but we joke that he likes to snuggle his mommy and rough house with dad.
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-12-06 00:36:54
  • LosechLosech
    Yes. Conker acts differently with every single person he meets. I can somewhat predict how he will react to someone and I'm getting better at it so I am able to avoid putting him into situations that'll freak him out.

Conker used to hate my Mom. Well, not really hate, but he for sure didn't like her. He would bark, growl and sometimes even show teeth at her. It took him several months to quit doing that and now he likes her a bit.
    Conker is indifferent to my little sister. He likes but doesn't love her. She doesn't really do much with him though.
    He likes my older sister since she provokes him into games.
    Conker's not too fond of my younger-taller brother since he will chase, catch and harass him, but he will give cheese to Conker (cheese = love) and play with him on occasion so it's one of those I like you but I don't like you relationships.

His favorite though (other than me, of course) is my youngest brother. Conker LOVES Teddy. The moment Teddy gets home from school Conker is there and asking to play. Teddy will play with Conker, pet him, roll around with him, do all sorts of fun things. Those two are amazing together. Teddy will lay on the ground and cuddle with Conker, something he doesn't really do with me except at night, and Conker is very good about adjusting his play style with Teddy so he's not too rough.
    It's really gonna suck for them when I move out.
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood is the same way. My husband is his playmate & I'm the person he always wants to cuddle with.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • Stef777Stef777
    Kendaux will only lay/cuddle with me and always shows me the biggest greeting even if I walk through the door with a few people. He does seem to enjoy playing with my boyfriend more though
  • Benita kind of loves everyone! I only have seen her bark or growl at a few strange people and to my husbands father. I always joke around that if a burglar came in she will greet him with a lot of excitement! She loves when people come over and she loves to received them and take toys to them so they play with her. Of course she will enjoy more rough playing with my husband, than with me trying to hug her when she is not in the mood (if you know what I mean) at night she loves to cuddle and we always pet her for a long time as she falls asleep. When we visit my parents she loves my dad (he always gives her treats, cheese and all kind of things) but when my little brother (18 not so little) walks in she gets crazy stars jumping and doing weird noises when we go home I could swear she misses him.
  • Tajihemmer-Your Benita sounds just like my Kishi. She is absolutely in love with everyone no matter what. She does tend to cuddle with me more but I think she has learned that my husband does not like to cuddle(one of the reasons I chose this breed as to not drive my husband crazy with a velcro type dog :)
  • BootzBootz
    Bumping this thread!!!

So recently my husband noticed that Bootz has become more aggressive on her walks. This is on walks that are ONLY my husband and Bootz. He notice she started barking/growling baring teeth at dogs that are within sight....even lunging if they are close. I've asked him if he gets tense or anything, but my husband said no. He acts normal.

The odd thing is, when I'm walking Bootz myself, or walking with Bootz and my husband...she never shows this behavior. We just notice it recently and was wondering if anybody had any idea or experienced the same thing.

Thanks!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Hmmm, interesting that something has changed in how Bootz perceives the walk when you are not there. Sorry, no insights though.
  • catloreecatloree
    @Bootz - My Pomeranian does that with me. When my husband walks her she is typically fine with other dogs. But if I'm walking her & she sees another dog across the street, then she'll start barking & growling. I think she is more protective/possessive of me than she is of my husband. I don't have much advice on how to handle it though. I try to redirect her or we'll turn around & walk the other direction.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • BootzBootz
    @catloree, I guess its kind of a relief to know another owner is going through the same thing. I just find it odd since she would see the same dog and act differently when shes with me....and when shes with my husband. The other dog probably thinks she's bipolar!
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Tali is the same way - she comes to me for cuddling and when she plays, I find that she's not as rough whereas with my bf he plays around more rough with her and she'll tend to start mouthing more with him than me. I also feel like she obeys me more in certain (most) cases whereas there are some cases where she'll ignore me but listen to him because he has this look where she must sense that he's not playing around. I also think it depends on the relationship the dog has with each person. My cousin just met my dog and she loved her because my cousin was all spoiling/hugging/petting. And in spite of Tali being a "I love everyone" kind of dog, a man tried to pet her the other day and it was the first time I ever saw her yelp and run away, like she did not want this guy to touch her - which surprised me bc she usually lets all kinds of strangers shower her with attention. Other than that, I haven't found a person/dog she doesn't really like unless the dog decides that it doesn't like her first, then she'll sort of get angry about it and bark back and the angry dog.
  • micomico
    Suki does this when some dogs approach her when she's on her lead but she's fine with others. She also did it a few times when she was off her lead so unless I'm walking with owners and dogs I know or somewhere really quiet she's kept on her lead. When she's off lead I'll call her back as soon as I see a 'strange' dog in the distance. If they come over and she's fine I'll let her off again and they usually go racing over the fields together but generally I try to avoid putting myself or her in a potentially dangerous situation by changing direction even if it means a longer walk.

I took her to the trainer I used to go to and he advised me not to react as dogs can sense when we tense up which in turn makes them more reactive which he says she is rather than aggressive.
  • Briona528Briona528
    I noticed that Callie always barks at new people when they come to my house. If the person does not act afraid of her and pets her, she is completely fine and stops barking. But if the person acts afraid of her, Callie will continue to bark at the person incessantly. I think she can sense if a person is afraid of her or not. I always tell people to pet her and talk to her but unless they are completely at ease, Callie is not.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Briona528, same. I've also seen that girls in general are more like dog people than guys are - by dog people I mean that they understand how to approach dogs and back off/change approach with warning signs.

But with people who just lack petting etiquette or people who are downright not comfortable, I've noticed Tatonka doesn't like them very much. He's terrified of drunk people..
    Monkey!
  • RikkaRikka
    @tatonka - Yep, agreed with the lack of petting etiquette. Sagan vehemently hates and dodges children as much as he can. Whenever they're in a dog park, and he happens to be near us, a child will more than likely approach us and ask us if they could pet him. I tell them "sure, if he lets you."

90% of the time they just bum-rush to him and he thinks it's a game, so he runs off. 100% of the time, they whine and tell him to come back. Sorry, kid. I'd be scared if a half-sized human came running at me while screaming, too.

We don't have too many guests over, but whenever we have parties, Sagan loves everyone. We've never had an issue with him being suspicious or barking at anyone in particular -- just out the window. ;)
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • micomico
    @Rikka and tatonka - Suki does the same. We were at a show yesterday and she was getting lots of admiring glances - shibas are rare here - but her body language and stance said look but don't even think about stroking me, I'm a superior shiba.

While the kids were looking at a stall a man with Downs syndrome and his carer walked towards us, the man was really animated and gesturing in our direction. Suki was watching and when they came alongside she sat down and let him pet her (she hates having her head stroked). He touched her ears, which she also hates, and tail but she didn't move even though he was getting a bit rough in an enthusiastic not nasty way. The stallholder was also watching and after they'd gone said it was as if she knew there was something different about the man because her facial expression had been completely different.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    @Bootz Regarding Bootz getting aggressive on walks with your husband only. It sounds like what redcattoo and catloree were suggesting, that for some reason Bootz feels the need to protect more with your husband. Maybe you have more of a leadership role and she doesn't feel the need to step up with you. The only thing I could think to try is have him distract her on walks. I would have him walk her with a bag of treats and as they approach other dogs do they "Bootz watch me" and keep rewarding her for paying him attention and not the other dogs. Maybe that would desensitize her to reacting to another dog and just learn to pay attention to him. Good luck.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Rikka, not sure why but he makes an exception for kids:

Otherwise at house parties, this is pretty much what he does:
    Monkey!
  • RikkaRikka
    Yeah, uh, my dude is the complete opposite, @tatonka. :p He's in everyone's face and his tail is constantly wagging (rare) when there's a party, but around a kid, he's like "GET AWAY FROM ME YOU WEIRD HALF-SIZED HUMAN MEATBAG."
  • Ginger seems to only love me if I have food.

Which is often a funny thing we talk about since my boyfriend didnt really want her, and I did. And now he absolutely loves her, and shes crazy about him.
    When he leaves for work she cries and cries. If I leave, she barely takes notice.

She listens to my commands and I have been the one to mostly train and take care of her. I want to play with her, but it doesnt seem she expresses the same.

Once he is home, she is hopping up, running around, biting his legs (mouthing) and they roll and play and he will lay on the floor for a while to hang out with her even though he is tired. Sometimes when he is home she will decide to include me in play. But aside from that she's just very chill with me. It kind of makes me sad.

She also does this thing where if she sees someone, be it child or stranger...
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT I NEED THAT PERSON TO LOVE ON ME RIGHT NOW

and she loses her mind!! she bounces on them, kisses, whining, nuzzling, nippping, playing everything. Its a funny sight, but it kind of makes me a little sad that she doesnt react THAT excited to either of us... and I dont understand it.
  • jherb415jherb415
    @ rikka

That sounds just like my Xavier. I have two male shibas and their personalities are so different it is amazing. Xavier is true to the shiba personality. He is very devoted to me and my boyfriend and few others, but to strangers and kids he will just not warm up to. Now Argo, my other male shiba loves everyone! Kids, strangers, other dogs... Doesn't matter haha. I believe it is all how the dog is raised in conjunction with owner personality, genetics and socialization!
    Shiba Mom of Two (Xavier 1 1/2 red male) & Argo ( 6 month red male)
  • Bump...

So I had a fiasco with the dog walker while I was out of town so my neighbors (who have a golden retriever) was kind enough to take care of Banjo for me.

Our dogs are BFFs. They play together, walk together, we go to the park together, etc. My neighbors, a couple, adore Banjo. He seems to like them more than me... he was cuddling with both of them and when I got home after not seeing him for two days, he didn't even get out of his crate (although he was apparently super excited to see them every day). Later in the evening we all went for a walk together and he tried to follow them home.

WTF??!

• FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso loves me, I am his favorite. But he would rather follow or play with my boyfriend.
    He likes my boyfriend's grandmother for treats as well.
    Otherwise he is scared of people still. But he does show different interests with the few people he knows!

He also shows different reactivity to strangers he is scared of. Sometimes he'll bark at one person, out of the 20+ he sees. Sometimes he'll run from someone approaching, etc etc. He is like this with cars too; some he's scared of but most he isn't.

He's just weird :)
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

#1 - you have a shiba
    #2 - you're an "old toy" to him (unfortunately)
    #3 - you have a shiba!!!!

Lol!! :))
  • @bootz, everyone keeps telling me my dog hates me! He is sooo much more excited to see everyone than he is me... I am starting to believe it!

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2015-08-11 10:48:24
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Ponyo is wayyyyyyyyyy more excited to see new people than my husband and I. Yesterday I brought a coworker home to meet her and Ponyo zipped past me to go jump and say hi to the new person. It took her 5 minutes to even notice i was there :'(
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Well, it is a well-known Shiba trait that they are aloof - even to their owners. I recall one owner, maybe it's Sagan? that said that he barely lifts his head or acknowledges her when she comes home. So I wouldn't worry too much, it seems to me that they have a tendency to act "holier than though".

Regardless, I think my feelings would be hurt if Kira were like that towards me. Kira acts like an excited puppy everytime I come home... sometimes even when I've only been outside to clean my car for a few minutes. She does her airplane ears, runs around with a toy, and grunts (her happy noise). When my best friend comes over, it's even more dramatic, she whines loudly with joy - she loves her so much.

I still feel like I have a very unShiba-like Shiba, I don't know if I could handle real Shiba behavior after her.

I will say that although I am "THE ONE" in her life, Kira refuses to play fetch with me. She only wants to play with my fiance and will even ignore toys that I throw for her. I guess that I am "Mom" and he is the "Playmate" LOL :))
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

@Rikka 's Sagan is the same way, as Kira mentioned. Don't be sad. It's normal.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-My little boy Quake used to be like Kira in that he would always be really excited to see me when I got home (adorable airplane ears, running around with a toy in his mouth, and would sound a little play growl if I was late by a few minutes all the while with his tail wagging and happy. A couple of weeks before his separation anxiety started I did notice he was even WAY MORE excited to see me and I had no idea that could be a sign of separation anxiety. Also at that time as I was leaving he had started going to the door and trying to stand in front of it instead of backing off away from the door like he always had. However, at the time he was not whining or crying when I left.

The behavior escalated very quickly and on July 15 he had his first episode of destructive behavior due to the separation anxiety. He is making progress with the help of the behaviorist trainer and my following her instructions and working with him. I am glad I realized what was happening before the separation anxiety reached a sever stage. I am glad to be researching the subject in order to be more aware of triggers that could result in separation anxiety.

• RikkaRikka
    Well, it is a well-known Shiba trait that they are aloof - even to their owners. I recall one owner, maybe it's Sagan? that said that he barely lifts his head or acknowledges her when she comes home. So I wouldn't worry too much, it seems to me that they have a tendency to act "holier than though".

Oh yeah, that's absolutely how he acts—I'm glad Sagan is the poster child for a Shiba being apathetic towards their owner. ;)

He's the definition of "I don't care" when he's comfortable with you. A recent story I have was that I had a friend stay with me for almost two weeks, and by the third day, Sagan was already adjusted to her being around the house. When we'd come home from errands or something, he'd lift his head up, acknowledge it was us, and go back to sleep. She complained once or twice that she wished he was "more affectionate." :p

There are days where he'll get up from his spot and greet me by wanting to be pet, but I've taught him not to be like, "OH MY GOD CRAZY EXCITABLE HOLY SHIT YOU'RE HOME" — I personally don't like it and I know most guests wouldn't like that either.

This is what it looks like most days coming home:

Post edited by Rikka at 2015-08-24 15:00:43
  • @rikka I feel like I own a cat that can't use a litter box.
  • RikkaRikka
    Basically.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I don't know how other people's cats are, but mine greet me at the door with Kira. And fight for my attention, I have unusually affectionate animals in my household... Except for the fiance :))
    imageimage

• @Kira_Kira, is there a "I hate you" emoji =)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    hahaha @BanjoTheBetaDog - I'll take that as a compliment towards my furry babies ;)
    imageimage

• koyukikoyuki
    At times, Takeo has me convinced that I am completely invisible or he is completely deaf and blind. He literally does not acknowledge my existence- at all if he is out in the yard.
    He will look like he is running towards me but he will fly right past my open arms to hunt the imaginary critters.
    He will look like he's looking at me, but he's looking through me. If I manage to grab him, he still pretends I'm not there. Turd. Inside though I might be lucky- he might come up and roll onto his back for me to rub his belly (which is so weird really none of our other Shibas would tolerate such a 'dog' thing), or come sniff me before he goes and lays down. Or if he really feels like making me feel special he might bear hug my arm to get me to play, then bolt off and ignore me when I try play.
    Yet we went away for the day on the weekend for a dog show, and I had my mum come past to swap the dogs over, and apparently Takeo was all over them- kisses and all. Koyuki ignored them though so a bit of a role reversal.
    Suma is a lot like Takeo too and it's annoying because I have to beg her for attention a lot of the time!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @Rikka I want to pluck him!

For those with the "You're Invisible" Shibas, were they aloof when they were younger as well? Or did they start becoming that way as they got older?

Tali has become quite a bit more affectionate lately and follows me around a lot more around the house. She'll always remain in the same room within line of sight. Occasionally, she'll lay next to me if she feels like. I'm hoping this is the start of a loving, doting, affectionate Shiba...Yeah, tough luck huh?
  • RikkaRikka
    For those with the "You're Invisible" Shibas, were they aloof when they were younger as well? Or did they start becoming that way as they got older?

Sagan was a little more "sticky" as a puppy around the house and outside, but he's been as affectionate as he's ever been (which... isn't a lot). There were times that I'd force "cuddle times" when he was younger and he'd still want to squirm & escape, lol. It's mostly just a personality thing, I think, from what I've observed. He turned 3 in May.
  • Otto is cuddly on his own terms. Usually early mornings and late nights. He likes his pets when he is tired. He has a split personality and goes from super sweet to super aloof or even defiant.

He frequently ignores us outside, in the yard or on walks. And he also is more excited to see everybody else, but we do get airplanes ears, huffing and puffing in circles and a toy gift when we get home.

Yesterday my husband showed me a video of him asking Otto where I was (I was at work). Otto looked at the door and started whimpering. I guess the little guys misses me when I'm not at home :)
  • koyukikoyuki
    @Nikkitine, Takeo started becoming less interested in us when he hit about 12 months old, and by the time he turned 3 he has been very aloof. Inside the house he is a lot better and I dont feel so invisible but he'd still rather do his own thing.
    With Suma, she's really only been like this recently- since turning 2. She can be so so sweet and loving- but entirely on her terms. Usually She will sneak up and cuddle us when it's just her and us
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • JuniJuni
    Juni was very independent and feisty as a pup but she is pretty cuddly as an adult. She loves to be carried around and she wants my company all the time. She comes and gets me when she wants me to join her somewhere, usually it's outside on the patio but sometimes it's because she wants me to lay in the bed when she is taking a nap there.
  • BragiBragi
    do you guys think that dogs don't like other dogs if they don't like the owner? Since koji got neutered he has been a more behaved boy, he's more calm, gets along more with other dogs, no more roaming, and will get all his pee out at once, etc. But I noticed that the dogs that he hates, they all belong to owners which always "walk with their nose up high", snobbish? he also doesn't let these people touch him, but when he sees nice people who socialize with my dog and with me, the dogs will get a long and he'll let their owners touch him.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)