For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Safe Pet Supplies from China?
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    All -

I know we're all wary of pet food items made from China given some of the recalls due to the factory conditions. One that comes to mind is the bully sticks that were recalled.

But what about toys and other pet items like collars, jackets, etc. I ask because my Mother is returning from Shanghai in December and mentioned she lives near a pet supply whole sale market.

It'd be great for her to buy me tons of chew toys and etc - but would that be safe? Especially if the material is rubber and etc.

Or am I thinking too much? :)
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-11-16 18:32:53
  • sunyatasunyata
    In all honesty (and I have stated this in several threads), I would NEVER EVER let my dogs have anything manufactured in China. (Please do not take offense to this if you are Chinese or live in China, as this is nothing against the Chinese people, but everything against their manufacturing processes and lack of regulations.)

Toys are put in doggie mouths, and sometimes bits and pieces are swallowed. Collars, clothing, leashes, etc. are also sometimes put in doggie mouths. Not to mention dyes and other chemicals could be released onto the skin.

And to be quite honest, unless I have no other choice (if you are friends with me on Facebook, you may remember my light bulb quest), I do not purchase goods or foods made in China for my home or myself.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    No worries. I am indeed Chinese but do not take offense to such reactions to items manufactured in China.

It's funny because I think Chinese folks are typically the largest critics of all things "Made in China". Growing up, I remember the adults shunning all things "Made in China", believing them to be inferior to items made elsewhere (USA, Malaysia, etc). This applied to things from appliances, toys, clothes, and etc. This largely continues today, though I suspect the inferiority complex is on a downward decline.

Anyhow - clearly I still feel that way since I made this thread :P

I went ahead and asked my Mom what kinds of things are available for purchase. I'll decide from there I suppose!

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • Hell, I have family that owns and operates a pet snack and toy manufacturing plant in Guangzhou, and I still won't buy anything from China that is meant to be put into a dog's mouth.

Maybe ask about a jacket or something. Those would probably be much cheaper than what they cost Stateside, and I wouldn't be as concerned about hazardous materials with that kind of accessory. =)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-11-16 13:28:35
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Lol that's pretty telling @curlytails.

Yeah I'm thinking items like jackets or harnesses. Maybe those 30+ long leads...

• KibaInuKibaInu
    Personally we have two items from china, a jacket and boots. Both of which have held up really well.

But I would evaluate the item in terms of risk if it has an unexpected failure if the integrity is questionable.

Example, if you buy a collar and it breaks, your dog could run away. On the other hand, if you buy something like a rain jacket and it breaks...your dog just gets wet.

• LosechLosech
    I have a couple things from China. One of them is a toy fish that's at the bottom of the pool (Conker put it there) and some others are my leash, the old harnesses and 30 foot lead. I don't really buy many toys anymore since I've got a lot of stuff to just make them, and that way they're free, so I don't much worry about that.
    I stay away from treats and chews made in China or by crap companies no matter the manufacturing location.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)