For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
So, We're Taking the Plunge (Now linking to pictures)
  • So after much careful thought, my husband and I have decided to put down a deposit on a Shiba pup. We were going to wait until both of our rats passed, but with having to put one of them to sleep last September, it just felt really morbid to wait for my last little baby to die before we got a dog. So today we went and made sure our lease had been properly modified then put a check into the mail to Pam of Royal Kennels. Needless to say, we're pretty excited about the prospect of taking home a pup from one of her litters this coming January---perfect timing for us as it will be after this current set of finals and the holiday travels. We're also kind of nervous about the whole thing---this will be our first dog---but we're certain after having watched all the videos on youtube of the blood-curdling Shiba scream and having read about the trials that others have had with their pups that we'll manage. :D Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the information you've provided. This forum has been instrumental in our decision to get a pup.

Wish us luck!
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-01-02 10:12:08
  • AraksAraks
    Good luck and Congrats! Now comes the hard part...the wait lol
  • LosechLosech
    Congrats on your future pup!
  • Well, the wait won't be too bad from about now through Dec 16. It's amazing how having finals looming over your head can dampen your desire for the future to come quickly. LOL
  • YukikoYukiko
    Yay congrats! While you're waiting, you can go ahead and set up a blog dedicated to your new furry baby. ;P
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Congrats- it might be trite but good things come to those who wait. Any thoughts on names yet?
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2011-11-15 21:18:08
  • You're going to be an awesome puppy 'parent'. Good luck waiting, and have fun shopping!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • BootzBootz
    Focus on finals, and worry about the puppy later! Good luck. :)
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    Congrats! I also got my very first dog, shiba, Ichiro, love of our life in January 4 years ago. Nothing like teaching a pup to puddle outside in subzero temps. Makes June a total cake walk. ;)
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • Congrats on your up coming Pup!! Tell Pam Hi from Saru, Hime and me when you get a chance. :D Are you going to watch Pam at the Shiba Nationals this weekend?
  • NekopanNekopan
    Congratulations.

My tip is to start thinking about puppy classes now, because a lot of good trainers don't offer them all the time and they fill up quickly.

I'm really sorry to hear about your rat. This August I lost three of mine, two within 2 weeks, and the third 3-4 weeks later. It was really crushing for me, they have such terribly short lifespans but make such an impact.
  • Unfortunately, I don't have time to go to Nationals, despite the fact that they're not really that far from us (though I keep forgetting they're not as close as I think, we're both originally from Southern IL so Kentucky feels like it should be closer than it is), with law school finals coming up for both me and my husband. Maybe some other year.

Nekopan, thanks for the heads up about puppy classes! I'm really wanting to get my new baby into two to help with socialization, etc. I guess I'll start looking at how early you can sign up to be in one. Also, I know what you mean about the short lives of rats and their impact. I've lost 2 total now in my life and I cried like a baby constantly when I lost both of them. Short lifespan is really the problem with rats (they're great pets otherwise). It's why we're getting a dog. It's just too hard loosing animals that quickly. The puppy should have a good long life ahead of it. Maybe it will even beat out the two cats I grew up with (they both lived to 18).

Thanks for you well-wishes everyone! We're planning on starting our shopping during on Black Friday---hopefully we can get some of the stuff on my (extensive) supply list really cheap!

And now, back to studying! :D
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    Congratulations. There's a few of us already here who've gotten our pups from Pam. I haven't had any regrets.
  • XabiXabi
    I would second the comment about looking at blogging options. I'm a big fan of tumblr since I can take a picture and upload it from anywhere on my phone. And it's almost a boon in the socialization process since you can start to want pictures of your new pal in every scene and situation imaginable. It's incredible how fast those first puppy moments go, so YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED! I'd also get your vet lined up and get your pet records filing system in place. That is if you want to keep detailed notes or journal any of the growth process. If that's the case, it's better to be prepared than to try to figure it out on the way. All you really would need is a folder or notebook. Your homework isn't done yet! Good luck! Oh yeah, research puppy training classes too, IMO they're a god send. Read/Download the training materials by Sophia Yin or especially Ian Dunbar. (Steps off soapbox). Have fun!
    X & I signature smaller
  • catloreecatloree
    Congratulations, that's so exciting for you guys!! Can't wait to see pictures & hear stories about your new pup!! :)
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • Made a blog for our upcoming addition. Only 1 post, and not a very interesting one at that (it's a lot like my first post in this thread), but I've got it made so it will be ready when the puppy is. :D

http://obeytheshiba.blogspot.com/
  • Congrats!!!
  • pekupekupekupeku
    Yay! Very exciting and can't wait to hear more!
  • autenbautenb
    If it means anything: My shiba has never screamed. He's yelped, and yipped, and barked some, but never a "shiba scream"
  • Pam just posted pictures of the pups on her website. Here's the link:
    http://www.royalkennels.com/shibapuppage1.html

Ours will be one of the females.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)