For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    The breeder was feeding Rocky NutriSource Puppy Small/Medium Breed. I was in a pet store today looking around and got to talking to a guy that worked there about the food and treats I give. They suggested feeding Acana Wild Prairie and even gave me a small bag to try for free. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this type of food and your opinion on it. Thanks
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    Thanks. I tried the search function but it all the post were about other kinds of acana not the wild prairie. I was just wondering that kind of differences others saw or if anyone in the fourm used wild prairie.
  • jujeejujee
  • Hello!

I already tried the 4 different flavors, I stayed with Grasslands and Ranchlands (Sushi's Favorites), lamb creates more gasses on Sushi than the other 2 flavors thou.

In my experience good food, all of them unless your shiba is allergic to chicken.
  • SayaSaya
  • lucylulucylu
    Anyone feed Ranchlands? I've done Wild Praire (had chicken in it though) and now am on Pacifica. The local store just got in Ranchlands. I'd really like to give it a try, but the feeding guidlines show to feed less than Pacifica. Lucy already only get's 1/4 cup of the Pacifica per day (she is also fed raw). I can't imagine going to Ranchlands and giving LESS than that even.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    well Rocky didn't seem to be digesting the Nutrisource very well but it has a lot of rice. Acana seems to be a good brand since so many other shiba owners have had good luck with it. I'm going to try the Wild Prairie. I mean why waste a free bag of food lol. If Rocky doesnt like it then we will try different flavors.
  • @lucylu Sushi eats Ranchlands and Grasslands. Dont go crazy with the feeding guidelines, you should know how much food your dog needs, she does any exercise? regular walks, play time, shes very active?

in my experience great food so far.

• rtnl89rtnl89
    So Rocky has been on Acana Wild Prairie for a month now. He loves the food and seems to be doing fairly well. He has even stopped itching as much as before (he took a bit of fur off his leg that has grown back). The only problem is that there has been an increase in the amount of smelly gas. Its pretty bad sometimes lol. Has anyone else had this problem? Could changing to a different flavor help? I really like Acana and would hate to switch from it.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    I was thinking of changing to Acana Pacifica since I have heard of shibas not doing well on chicken. But I have only heard of them having problems with itching not gas when on chicken.
  • LosechLosech
    Here's my problem with Hills.

Starch, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Hydrolyzed Chicken, Powdered Cellulose... the rest are minerals etc.

That's a bunch of crap ingredients. I wouldn't feed that to any dog personally. If it works for yours, fine, that's your choice. But I really don't see how starch, soybean oil (a common allergen) preserved with a toxic ingredient and hydrolyzed whatever can possibly be good for any animal.
    And what kind of starch? Wheat? Corn? Potato? What kind of powdered cellulose? Which, is not digestible by dogs.
    The ingredients were different when this was written up but that doesn't change my opinion on it.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-prescription-diet-zd-dry/
    Here's another one.
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1079&cat=all

I can't really recommend any kibbles to try since I skipped that step with Conker. I have however, been trying The Honest Kitchen and ZiwiPeak and so far really like the results. I also did a trail of Freshpet (quite expensive though, up there with pre-made raw) which also had good results.
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-12-12 21:39:17
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sunyatasunyata
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2011-12-13 10:25:42
  • sunyatasunyata
  • We just bought "Addiction" brand "Meaty Bites" succulent Wild Brushtail soft treats....Good for training...

He loooves them and they are grain/poultry free...from New Zealand...
  • MayamaMayama
  • tkfushtkfush
    I give my Yuki-puff Bravo! Buffalo Bites. All it is, is freeze dried buffalo heart but Yuki loves them!
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    I went into the pet store today and noticed 3 new Acana products...

1. Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (after doing some research, this was the Acana Classic Adult line that was in Canada only)
    2. Acana Lamb and Okanagan Apple
    3. Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear

We got some free samples so we figured we'd give it a try with Kiba. So we opened up the lamb and apple bag and he actually enjoyed it. His reaction to it made me want to spread the word around since he doesn't normally like kibble. Anyways their website has more details but thought I'd let you guys know of some of the new items out there. FYI, these are not grain-free.
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • ElemyuElemyu
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I know you transition between dog food brands, but if I'm currently feeding Bellatrix Acana Wild Priairie and her next bag is Acana Grasslands, do I need to transition it?
  • ArcticArctic
    You could to be cautious, but when switching types of a single brand I don't bother to. I switched to Orijen Regional Red after my bag of Six Fish ran out cold turkey with no issues. I believe the Champion Food site says on their FAQ that if you already feed their brand you don't need to transition. But I suppose you never know. If your dog has a bad go of it then you could begin a slower transition.
  • LosechLosech
    I just feed the next food. I only have to be careful with Conker if he's having digestive problems. They come and go... It's obnoxious. In general though all my dogs handle an instant switch just fine.
  • KikkiKikki
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I rotate between the different flavors of Acana. They haven't seemed to have any issues with it so far but my picky one didn't really care for the prairie one as much as the others.
  • BearsDadBearsDad
  • SayaSaya
  • KikkiKikki
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    Bestbullysticks sells Acana with free shipping but I don't think they have that particular formula.
  • KikkiKikki

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)