For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    The breeder was feeding Rocky NutriSource Puppy Small/Medium Breed. I was in a pet store today looking around and got to talking to a guy that worked there about the food and treats I give. They suggested feeding Acana Wild Prairie and even gave me a small bag to try for free. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this type of food and your opinion on it. Thanks
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Look under the search function and you will get some answers there. I feed it, it's a good product for my dogs.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    Thanks. I tried the search function but it all the post were about other kinds of acana not the wild prairie. I was just wondering that kind of differences others saw or if anyone in the fourm used wild prairie.
  • jujeejujee
    I have used Wild Prairie before as well as the Grasslands. Wild Prairie is less expensive because it has chicken in it. I had stopped using Acana Wild Prairie as my "back-up" kibble (I mainly feed a raw diet and the kibble is there as a just in case I do not get something defrosted in time with my schedule).

I only stopped using it because my shiba girl *might* be allergic to chicken. She was fed Wild Prairie when I was in New York for a week during the summer and when I came back she had a noticeable amount of missing fur on her hind legs. About two weeks after I came back from my trip and she was put back on raw her fur started growing back.
  • Hello!

I already tried the 4 different flavors, I stayed with Grasslands and Ranchlands (Sushi's Favorites), lamb creates more gasses on Sushi than the other 2 flavors thou.

In my experience good food, all of them unless your shiba is allergic to chicken.
  • SayaSaya
    Funny how lamb causes gas hehe.

Saya first time eating a lamb shank she had horrible death farts I think it was the lamb marrow.. Second time eating one she didn't fart thankfully. haha
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • lucylulucylu
    Anyone feed Ranchlands? I've done Wild Praire (had chicken in it though) and now am on Pacifica. The local store just got in Ranchlands. I'd really like to give it a try, but the feeding guidlines show to feed less than Pacifica. Lucy already only get's 1/4 cup of the Pacifica per day (she is also fed raw). I can't imagine going to Ranchlands and giving LESS than that even.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    well Rocky didn't seem to be digesting the Nutrisource very well but it has a lot of rice. Acana seems to be a good brand since so many other shiba owners have had good luck with it. I'm going to try the Wild Prairie. I mean why waste a free bag of food lol. If Rocky doesnt like it then we will try different flavors.
  • @lucylu Sushi eats Ranchlands and Grasslands. Dont go crazy with the feeding guidelines, you should know how much food your dog needs, she does any exercise? regular walks, play time, shes very active?

in my experience great food so far.

• Foxy had a very bad reaction to Ranchlands but she did fine on the Pacifica.
    Photobucket
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    So Rocky has been on Acana Wild Prairie for a month now. He loves the food and seems to be doing fairly well. He has even stopped itching as much as before (he took a bit of fur off his leg that has grown back). The only problem is that there has been an increase in the amount of smelly gas. Its pretty bad sometimes lol. Has anyone else had this problem? Could changing to a different flavor help? I really like Acana and would hate to switch from it.
  • While doing food trials on Tosh for his allergies we tried Acana Pacifica. He loved the food. But his tummy sure didnt. It gave him raging Diarrhea.
  • rtnl89rtnl89
    I was thinking of changing to Acana Pacifica since I have heard of shibas not doing well on chicken. But I have only heard of them having problems with itching not gas when on chicken.
  • We are doing food trials right now. Miyumi is scratching her face raw right now. We started with going grain free and chicken free with Great Life Buffalo. She LOVED it. But she was still scratching. We tried that food with a small dose of Chlorpheniramine. Then we switched to Acana Pacifica with half a benedryl tablet. Still scratching. So she is starting her second month on Acana pacifica with Temaril. We thought the food change was working because when she got half a tablet of Temaril twice day- no scratching. But now we scaled back to half a tablet once a day and she is back at it.

The vet says at 8 months she is too young to develop environmental allergies. Can anyone recommend a food they tried after trying Acana Pacfica? Can I ask what you are feeding Tosh -SaskaShiba?

Miyumi loves Acana and had some soft stools the first week of eating it. She doesn't have gas though. But she is still itching.
    Heather, Logan, and two Shibas named Miyumi & Yoshiro
  • I have tried Tosh on almost everything except raw. Currently he is on Hills z/d ultra allergen free. Most hypo foods have either different sources of proteins or have some proteins broken down so the body doesn't recognize it. The z/d ultra diet has not only the meat proteins broken down but the plant ones as well. That way you can depict if the allergy is food. Just remember that a food trial takes 6-8 weeks on one food. The down fall to this food is it is pricey..
  • LosechLosech
    Here's my problem with Hills.

Starch, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Hydrolyzed Chicken, Powdered Cellulose... the rest are minerals etc.

That's a bunch of crap ingredients. I wouldn't feed that to any dog personally. If it works for yours, fine, that's your choice. But I really don't see how starch, soybean oil (a common allergen) preserved with a toxic ingredient and hydrolyzed whatever can possibly be good for any animal.
    And what kind of starch? Wheat? Corn? Potato? What kind of powdered cellulose? Which, is not digestible by dogs.
    The ingredients were different when this was written up but that doesn't change my opinion on it.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-prescription-diet-zd-dry/
    Here's another one.
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1079&cat=all

I can't really recommend any kibbles to try since I skipped that step with Conker. I have however, been trying The Honest Kitchen and ZiwiPeak and so far really like the results. I also did a trail of Freshpet (quite expensive though, up there with pre-made raw) which also had good results.
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-12-12 21:39:17
  • All foods have there pros and cons; we wont get into that battle. I work in the veterinarian field and have read more scientific studies on foods other than just some random Internet sites. For now this is an appropriate food for Tosh.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I don't really like some of the ingredients that are in Hills foods, or the other Rx diets, but I have to agree with SaskaShiba in this respect. The proteins are broken down so far, that it really is a viable option for dogs on food trials. There isn't anything in it that a dog can react to, so it is a perfect blank slate food that will hopefully allow the dog to enjoy more diverse foods over time.

There really is some good science and research behind the prescription foods, and while I chose not to feed it to my allergy dog (I went with raw, immune therapy and allergy injections), I know that it helps a lot of dogs, has prolonged lives, and is easy for their owners to give without much thought.

That said, I also know there are equally viable holistic approaches to elimination diets and food trials, but they take more work and research than most want to give. And, as I too work in the Vet field, I know there tends to be a greater push from the Vets to feed something that has research behind it and that can be tightly controlled. with little work on the owners part.
  • sunyatasunyata
    I am sorry to continue the off topic-ness of this...

But it was my understanding that the Hills Rx 'allergen-free' foods were to be a temporary food source until the allergen is determined. Is this not the case? Is this a food that is okay to be given on a daily basis for years?

There is no judgement, as I know a couple of people who have had to feed a Hills Rx diet because it was the only option after many MANY trial and errors. I am just curious.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Casey, I think you are correct, but it is complet nutrition (expensive) and I know some people who feed it long term.
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2011-12-13 10:25:42
  • sunyatasunyata
    Thanks, Lindsay. I thought that is what my nutritionist and I talked about a few years ago when Bella went through her issues. (I decided not to feed it, in case anyone was wondering.)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thanks for the info. The vet says if Acana Pacifica doesn't work out we can try a hills diet.But we will wait until the second month of Acana is done and see if Miyumi improves. I just feel terrible because she really scratches her face. However- on the Acana- her coat has improved and is super soft and just looks great. She did stop the biting of her paws and legs.

Her treats are limited because they need to be grain free and poultry free. Does anyone have a good treat they like?
  • We just bought "Addiction" brand "Meaty Bites" succulent Wild Brushtail soft treats....Good for training...

He loooves them and they are grain/poultry free...from New Zealand...
  • Thanks!!
  • MayamaMayama
    @Miyumi_Pup: Maya's environmental allergies started when she was around 10 months old, even though our vet told us it's too early as well. If you are suspicious, try taking notes of places she's been to as well as her itchiness everyday. We found a pattern that Maya's itchiness always worsens the day after we go hiking, to the dog park, or just stay outdoors longer.

Hope Miyumi gets better soon. I know how heart-breaking it is to see her hurting herself everyday.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • tkfushtkfush
    I give my Yuki-puff Bravo! Buffalo Bites. All it is, is freeze dried buffalo heart but Yuki loves them!
  • Great advice Mayama. We will do that. We live in South Florida and humans are really suffering from allergies right now. We live next to a river, a preserve and surrounded by grass and oak trees and ponds. We will start taking notes and follow up with our vet. Thanks for the info!!
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    I went into the pet store today and noticed 3 new Acana products...

1. Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (after doing some research, this was the Acana Classic Adult line that was in Canada only)
    2. Acana Lamb and Okanagan Apple
    3. Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear

We got some free samples so we figured we'd give it a try with Kiba. So we opened up the lamb and apple bag and he actually enjoyed it. His reaction to it made me want to spread the word around since he doesn't normally like kibble. Anyways their website has more details but thought I'd let you guys know of some of the new items out there. FYI, these are not grain-free.
  • deerparkdeerpark
    We feed our dogs Acana Wild Prairie with some brown rice or pumpkin and cooked chicken with a drizzle of flaxseed oil every other day. My Sammy nor my Shiba is too crazy about it, but they have never been big eaters to begin with. We have tried other brands before and tried all the Acana "flavors" with the Wild Prairie being their favorite. Their stool is healthy albeit a lil strong smelling... but not as strong as when my Sammy ate Taste of the Wild or Orijen. They both do not have any allergies nor negative reaction towards the food.

We have tried other brands like Orijen (Arcana's meatier sister brand) and my Sammy's poop became really stinky. We have also tried Taste of the Wild and my dog got really bad diarrhea and gassy. Yes, we know you have to gradually change the kibble which we did =). I know others in this forum love it tho, so I'm sure it varies from dog to dog. We have also tried Fromm and Chicken Soup for the Soul kibble brands... Acana Wild Prairie is still the front contender for us.
  • ElemyuElemyu
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I know you transition between dog food brands, but if I'm currently feeding Bellatrix Acana Wild Priairie and her next bag is Acana Grasslands, do I need to transition it?
  • ArcticArctic
    You could to be cautious, but when switching types of a single brand I don't bother to. I switched to Orijen Regional Red after my bag of Six Fish ran out cold turkey with no issues. I believe the Champion Food site says on their FAQ that if you already feed their brand you don't need to transition. But I suppose you never know. If your dog has a bad go of it then you could begin a slower transition.
  • LosechLosech
    I just feed the next food. I only have to be careful with Conker if he's having digestive problems. They come and go... It's obnoxious. In general though all my dogs handle an instant switch just fine.
  • KikkiKikki
    Been insterested in trying Acana Light & Fit for our Belly but can't find it anywhere. Also looked on all major online retailers and none has the Light & Fit.
    photo 09add2ab-be4c-4b53-98a7-1a6bc4311b43_zps71ebc933.jpg
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I rotate between the different flavors of Acana. They haven't seemed to have any issues with it so far but my picky one didn't really care for the prairie one as much as the others.
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    Acana and Orijen are both made by Champion and both are great, from my understanding Acana is basically Qrijen with less of a meat content, which is good for dogs whose stomach is prone to becoming upset from highly rich foods.

check out their site http://www.acana.com/

and the dog food advisor rating (5stars=great food) http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/acana-dog-food-dry/
  • SayaSaya
    No where near me sell orijen or acana.. I'd have to drive to Indianapolis for the closest place that sells it. I seen it sold when I visited bad dog frida in Madison WI.

Their products tend to be bit hard to find locally. Odd you can't find that formula online. Good luck on your search Kikki.

I did find the kibble online, but it was a canadian pet website.. I'm sure in canada you can find their products more easily.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KikkiKikki
    @saya, I find it a bit odd too. Guess that particular formula doesn't have a high demand here. I did find a Canadian online retailer that does ship to the US when I'm cheap on shipping lol!

Will have to be patient until we get our own place so I can dedicate a freezer to raw feeding (currently living with the in-laws). For now I'll just stick to TOTW and feed the occasional knuckle bones and meats if there's any space in the freezer. I swear, my mother-in-law is such a stereotypical middle aged lady, she's a meat hoarder and goes crazy when she sees exciting meat of sale and she insist on cooking for 7 people when then she should be cooking for 2. I always tell my husband someone forgot to give her the memo about her 5 grown up adult children not live there anymore. LOL, went a bit off topic there.
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    Bestbullysticks sells Acana with free shipping but I don't think they have that particular formula.
  • KikkiKikki

Bestbullysticks sells Acana with free shipping but I don't think they have that particular formula.

I've checked that site already and no, they didn't have the formula I was looking for :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)