For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Tagg The Pet Tracker (GPS tracker)
  • I have had this product for almost a month now, but never had time to write up a review myself. However, I found a 3rd party review online today and thought I would pass it on here.
    http://pawcurious.com/2011/11/product-review-tagg-the-pet-tracker/

I will be able to answer questions of the product based on my experience so far. If you are interested in getting one of this GPS tracker for your beloved pet and have questions that are not covered by either the review or the company's website http://www.pettracker.com/ . Feel free to ask here. I will do my best to share what I know.

I only have one pet tracker on Koji now as it is an experiment purchase. When the product was first launched, they only have the bundle package (docking station + the tracker) ready for shipping and the standalone tracker (for multi-pet household) was on back order. I have not got one yet for Maluko and was constantly teased by people that I love Koji more to put the tracker on him. I always laughed and said I love them both, but Koji is more likely to get lost. I may get an additional tracker for Maluko, but for now, only the boy gets the GPS treatment.
  • sunyatasunyata
    What do you use the tracker for? Is it just every day use, or did you have a specific reason for purchasing it?

Just curious... :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Stef777Stef777
    Thank you for posting this article. I have been looking into getting one for Kendaux. Is it pretty light weight? Does Koji notice it on his collar?
  • @Casey

I bought the tracker because Shiba is known to be great escape artist, so having some kind of a safety net in case the unfortunate event of my dog getting lost is always a good thing.

Both Koji and Maluko are not door bolters. They have pretty good focus and impulse control and I work diligently with them on their recall every day, but if I ever lose them, I would like to at least have a trail of where they had been, so I have a better chance of recovering them. This product is not perfect, but it is not too bulky and the interface is pretty straight-forward.

The collar attachment keeps the tracker on the collar and I have it on Koji's collar every day. I have it on him all the time as I am experimenting with the product and want to see how it works in real life. The only time the collar gets off is when we go to bed at night.

@Stef777
    The tracker is light weight and according to the manufacturer, it is recommended for dogs or cats over 10 pounds. Here is a picture of Koji with the Tagg Tracker. It does not seem to bother him at all. For reference, Koji is about 27 pounds and about 17 inch tall at shoulder.
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2011-11-10 12:08:59
  • Stef777Stef777
    Thank you Sandrat888 for the information :)

Koji is beautiful by the way. I'm glad Kendaux isn't the only "taller" guy around. He is around 15 inches at the shoulder but everyone says he is tall for a shiba.
  • @Stef777

15 inches at the shoulder is within the standard (13 ½ to 16 ½ inches tall at the shoulder and 17 to 23 pounds is what the standard says).
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is 15inches or maybe 15 and half inches or 16 inches hasn't measured her lately.. Last time it was 15inches..

She doesn't seem too tall or anything.

The tracking collar seems neat hope to hear more on your experiences with it.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Stef777Stef777
    Sorry to get off topic ;) I know he's in the standard but other shiba owners always say he is tall for some reason.

But back to the GPS. Do they have a referral program? If I get one maybe you could get something out of it for referring me.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Sandra - Jake is actually the same exact measurements as Koji.

I had a question about the battery- how often do you find yourself changing it? They said something like once a month- is that true?

Thanks for the quick write up!
  • @Stef777

They do not have a referral program and I am not in any way affiliated with the company, so just sharing my experience and answer any questions on the product base on our usage.

@lockshi So Jake is a bigger guy just like my goofy boy Koji. Is he goofy or a drama queen like Koji? Boys can be silly sometimes.

The manufacturer says the battery only needs to be charged every 30 days based on regular usage pattern, which I assume that most of the time, the tracker is in power-saving mode within in your home zone and you remember to set your tracker in "Trip" mode when you go out for a walk or run errands. I couldn't confirm whether the 30 day charge thing is true or not as I have been playing with the tracker ever since I got it. I intentionally took Koji out for a walk or drive around to classes to test how long it took before I got a notification and I started tracking (every 3 minutes you will get an update of the tracker's location up to 30 minutes) while we were out too, so the battery probably drained much faster than normal usage.

It will send you a text msg/email when the battery is low, but I put the tracker back on the docking station to charge it when I see the batter level is at around 50% as I worry that if my dog does get lost, I would hope the battery is fully charged, so it can last as long as possible until I recover him. I usually do the charging over night, so it does not interfere with our daily usage.

@saya

You can use the tracker with any collar as the collar assembly that comes with the package is really the thing that holds the tracker in place. I found that the tracker assembly works best with a stiffer material such as nylon and not so well with a cotton collar.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Ah that clarified the whole battery thing. For some reason I thought you had to physically change the battery- charging is much better idea and it's good that they give notification when it's running low.

My only real "hang up" now is the yearly fee. It's somewhat steep- what are your feelings? I am leaning towards it I just wish it was slightly less per year

Jake is a big boy. He's also pretty leggy. But he's done growing now at 27lbs 16-17in. He was already at 15 when he was a couple months old as puppy lol. I'm enrolling him in a K9 nosework class this coming January. It just looked like so much fun! I appreciate all your info and videos in that thread.
  • @lockshi3

The package with the tracker, collar assembly and first year service fee is $199. It is $139 for a tracker, collar assembly and first year service fee (without the docking station). After the first year, the yearly service fee for each tracker is $60. So the ongoing cost will be $60/year/tracker, which I think is not too bad to give me piece of mind in the really stressful situation if Koji is lost. His class or a regular vet visit easily costs more than that, so I don't mind the price.

Koji is leggy too and I am glad to hear that you are going to do K9 Nosework with Jake. We can definitely compare notes and share what we learn.

It is really a fun activity for any dogs. I originally thought it was mostly a game just for the dogs to use their nose, but as we progress, I learn that it is not just about the dogs sniffing as the handler needs to be part of the team - observe, know and trust their dogs to be confident enough to say "alert" to commit to a find.

Are you doing other doggie sports with Jake? Koji also likes Agility, but we are just starting out.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @sandrat888 - Out of curiosity, if you have it in trip mode, and your dog happens to get away... Is there any way to remotely activate it out of power saving mode?

For example... You take Koji to the dog beach. He is having a great time, until he sees a stray cat. And off he goes... Would you be able to use the app on your smart phone to activate the collar out of the trip mode so that you could track his whereabouts?

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Thanks. That's really not too bad. I thought the fee was the 199 alone. I think I might actually consider this!

I've also considered agility as well but I want to see how he does in nose work first.

Thanks again!
  • @sunyata

There are 2 commands to track a dog's whereabouts. The first is locate, which is a one time deal and the 2nd command is "track", which starts tracking the dog's location every 3 minutes up to 30 minutes. After the 30 minute tracking session ends, you can initiate another session or you can end your current session anytime.

To do either locate or track, you can either do it on a computer using a web browser, using the app on an Android phone (last time I checked, they do not have an iPhone app yet, but I think they are working on one) or use SMS from a cell-phone number that is registered with the server to trigger a locate or track.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Awesome. Thanks for the info! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Sandra, thank you so much for the review. Vivian (Kayla's owner) and I have been talking about GPS tracket today after Kayla got lost yesterday. It makes a lot of sense for peace of mind.
    Nami is not much of a bolter, but you never know..she does like squirells and other dogs...
    @lockshi3 I was actually looking into nosework training as well, but missed it in the beginning of november...hopefully we can join the next class... :) are you going to a trainer in NJ?
  • For anyone that is interested in an iPhone app, the manufacturer said they have one currently under review by Apple now, so hopefully, it will be available to the general public soon.

@vnovikova The product is not perfect and there is a lag (a few minutes)between you start a locate/track command and when you actually get an location via email/SMS, but I bet it will be very useful to know which direction a lost pet goes.

What I like about it is that it seems to be a lot smaller than other similar products on the market. The design is also pretty good, so it doesn't look too ugly. I got a few asking me if it was a shock collar/bark collar and they were all surprised when I told them it is a GPS tracker.

I am sure Nami would love Nosework. I can't imagine any dog that will not love it. Check out the other thread on Nosework if you have not to see some games you can start playing with your pup at home or just to see videos of Koji and Maluko in class. I started videotaping all their searches a few weeks ago and it was a ton of fun to go back and watch they worked as I sometimes missed some of the body languages in class.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @vnovikova yes they are having saturday classes mid January at K9dergarten in JC. the trainer is "dog spelled forward" - it just opened up if you're interested! also it's on a saturday - isn't too too much of a haul from brooklyn! :)
  • @sandra888 I have watched all of your videos :) they are great!!! Also, thank you for the info on the GPS tracker. We are strongly considering it!

@lockshi3 hey thanks for the info! our puppy kindergarden trainer is actually certified in nosework too and is offering classes in Brooklyn. I'm not sure when the next class is going to be as she just started teaching one in the beginning of this month...I really think this will be a great activity for the winter months, when pups won't be getting out as much.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @vnovikova oh, cool! you'll have to let me know how it goes!
  • Just want to post an update based on our recent experience so anyone that is considering the product is made aware of the situation and take this into consideration when deciding whether to purchase this product.

I went out with Koji on an errand this Monday morning and forgot to set the tracker into "Trip" mode (this basically lets the tracker know you are going out of your home zone, so it will not alert you and thus save battery.). The tracker usually will alert you within 3-10 minutes of you going out of the home zone, but I got no alert after 15 minutes out of the house. I then manually started the locate and track command on my Android phone and it just kept telling me Koji is near the home docking station and a locate/track is not necessary.

The tracker was definitely not working as it should. I called Tagg customer support and was told that there may be a syncing issue between the tracker and the docking station. After a painful trouble-shooting session that involves unpluging/plugging the docking station, turning /on the tracker, changing the home zone etc, the tracker still would not work. I was told the case will be escalated and someone will follow up with me within 48 hours. I turned off the tracker and the docking station yesterday for a couple hours and the turn them back on and the tracker is working again.

The problem I have right now is I want to know what makes the tracker not working in the first place. If the product will randomly stop functioning, then I really can't trust the product to provide me the safety net in case my dog gets lost. I have called Tagg support again and was told they are still trying to figure it out what happened and I will keep everyone here updated on this too.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens with it.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thanks for the update!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Just got an offer from Tagg, $99 for the kit and 1 free month of service. Subsequent months $7.95 a month for service.
    犬竜
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Thanks for the update Sandra. Is this the first time you noticed it not working the way it's supposed to? I'm thinking about buying it today but I don't want to be disappointed either.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @ lockshi3. They are offering a 30 day trial period.
    犬竜
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I actually just bought it. LOL.
  • @lockshi3

This is the 2nd time the tracker stopped working (I had the tracker since around mid Oct). The first time, it was not sending notifications as it should when we went out without setting the "Trip" mode, but the problem went away by itself without me doing anything within an hour or two.

The 2nd time it did not work, I went through the whole trouble shooting process with support and just couldn't get it to work. I finally got tired and turned off everything for 3-4 hours and when I turn it back on, it works again. However, the problem is I do not know when it will stop working properly again, thus rendering the tracker not reliable if Koji does get lost.

Tagg is still working on my case, but they have not been able to give me any real reason as to why the tracker was not working.

Like others have pointed out, you have 30 day to return the tracker if it doesn't meet your needs. I so want this to work as it is the better product on the market right now.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I agree. It seems to be the best on the market. I'm going to give it a try- it already shipped out today! If everything runs smoothly, it's such a small price to pay for that one time he might get loose.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Got mine in the mail today and set it all up. I'm going to test it out tonight on a rather long walk. I'll see how quickly/frequently we receive updates, and I'll also try locating him from the website on my iPhone and then again to see how long it takes.

I love the way the tracker looks. Nicely made product!
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    So I've been using it with every walk. I've tested out the track and location features from my phone (iPhone people, they now have an app!) the only concerning thing is, mine never tells me when he leaves the tagg zone? Everytime we have gone for a walk I never get that notification. I'm pretty sure the way it's supposed to work is to let me know that? I'm thinking I'm going to restart everything and if that doesn't work I'll call Tagg.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I believe if its set on trip mode it will not alert you if you leave the home zone. How often did it send you the location alerts?
    犬竜
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I never put it in trip mode- I think according to the guide it's supposed to alert me within 10 min when he goes out of the zone.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Ok. After having it for 2 weeks I've been pretty pleased

At first, only the track and locate worked well (not the notification when he leaves the zone)

Then I fiddled around with unplugging, shutting off etc and Everytime we go out on a walk I am notified he is out of the zone (like it should). It does seem a little buggy since I had the same problem as Sandra. But it is working fine now and I hope it continues to. Hopefully this is something they can fix in a over the air charging station update.

And now that the iPhone app is out, certainly makes it worthwhile to have!
  • Just wan to give a quick update. Their customer service finally got back to me and told me they thought the problem I had with the tracker was a syncing problem and said once it is resync'd, it would not happen again.

Honestly, I don't think they know what caused the tracker not working in the first place.

The tracker has functioned fine after I turned everything off for a few hours and turn it back on. However, knowing that the same problem may occur again when my dog is actually missing and that I will not have the luxury of turning everything off when the tracker will be gone along with my pet worries me.

Overall, I am happy with the product, but I do not trust the product completely and I think their customer service has a lot of room for improvements.
  • tkfushtkfush
    @sandrat888 and @lockshi3 I was hoping to ask for another update? We are looking into this product for Yuki and read over everyone's comments but wanted to follow up with you as to if you are still pleased with this product?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I have had mine for about 1 month, and am really pleased with it. I will definately be getting some for each of the other dogs. I really like the iPhone app also.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • @tkfush Other than the initial hiccups with the product, it has worked pretty well ever since. I have acquired a second tracker for my girl Maluko as additional subscription for multiple dogs household is only about $1/month. You do have to buy the additional tracker though, but I like the peace of mind just in case my dogs get lost.

I would say I am pleased with the product. There are definitely room for improvements, but for what is available out there today, the Tagg Tracker is one of the better products in terms of size, function and design.
  • tkfushtkfush
    Great! Thanks for the update!
  • This looks worth looking into. I am also curious about the Garmin DC-40 and Astro220 combo--but this would be more for hiking/camping scenarios vs. escapes from the house.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    @tkfush I absolutely love mine. I've had it for about 2-3 months. Only issues occurred in the first week. Haven't has them since. It really is a great product.
  • So am I to understand that you get a location every 3-10 minutes?
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • @BuckyBadger

The tracker checks if it is within the home zone every 3-10 minutes during regular daily use to save power, but you can start a tracking session manually anytime the dog is out of the home zone. A single tracking session will track the location of the tracker every 3 minutes up to 30 minutes and you can start another tracking session after that if needed.
  • tkfushtkfush
    I told my husband that as soon as we get our pet tracker, we are going to play hide and seek in our neighborhood! Me and Yuki will hide and my husband will have to find us! Thanks for everyone's feedback!
  • LosechLosech
    @jimmyMTRY I'd like to get one of those sometime soon. I know of several people who have them for their hunting dogs and they love them.
    However, they are not like these other trackers in the thread. They have a short battery life (up to 17 hours, I think?) and limited range, so if your dog goes out of range or gets loose for long enough, you won't find them with it. They are still very good things to have though, especially for hiking/off-leash stuff.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    bump.
    犬竜
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Love this product.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I wonder if this is something I should consider for the soon to be new arrival? I don't really worry about my other dogs getting lost--they don't get out of the yard--but I'm a bit more concerned about the Kai Ken....
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    It is a great backup in case the unthinkable happens. I am glad I have the Taggs on both of mine and am grateful that I have yet to use them in a real emergency yet.

I did use it the other night while my friend babysat my girl Maluko overnight. She was surprised I knew where she was the previous night when we met the next day. I was just too bored before going to bed and tracked/located my girl in another location about 15 miles from my friend's house. :)
  • KitsuKitsu
    I don't have the money to make this purchase at the moment with moving and all. But when I'm settled in and have the puppy's basic stuff and any other needed things this will be at the top of my list.

Just to do a little math for some people, to try to convince you if you're on the fence. (I cannot say how well this thing functions but based on other reviews I think it is worth it.) Bear in mind that only less than 20% of dogs that go missing are returned to their owners.

At about $7.95 a month for the GPS service it would cost $1,431 to have service for 15 years. That's about the cost of a new Shiba, but it wouldn't be the family member you've had with you all those many years. It really isn't that much money when it really comes down to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)