For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog Treats - Recipes!
  • animatorshibaanimatorshiba
    We should make a cookbook with forum pictures and stuff of the recipes! Great way to raise money or just because its fun! : )
  • KaddyKaddy
    Since I'm a horrible dad and forgot Keiko's birthday... I'm trying to figure out which of these treats would be really stinky (aka yumm) for the pups tonight - any suggestions?
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    tripe
  • KaddyKaddy
    I ended up going with the chicken liver brownies, but I used half chicken liver and half salmon... they smell god awful, so hopefully they're a hit. I was gagging as I tried to spread the mixture on the cookie sheet - I'm REALLY thankful our oven has 'air-guard' for when you're cooking smelly stuff.
  • obukobuk
    LOL
  • sunyatasunyata
  • KaddyKaddy
    They LOVED them... Loki thinks my pockets are some sort of magical stinky treat dispenser now (which... they usually are), and he follows me around sitting and doing other various tricks thinking that each time he does one a treat will pop in his mouth lol :o)

Sadly the air-guard feature on the oven only worked until I opened the oven door... and BAM house was all stinky lol. It was gross, but at least I have tons of treats :o)
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • wliu003wliu003
    Thanks LJ.

I just wanted to say that this is an awesome thread, esp for those who are on a budget.

I made some homemade dog treats this weekend and Kelly absolutely loved them, along with all of her dog friends.

If anyone has more to share please post them!

The recipe I used was :

PB Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup all natural chunky peanut butter, no salt or sugar added

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 egg

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • velvetkatvelvetkat
    Here is a recipie my BF made for Bears first birthday party for the dogs to take home as favors. They were a big hit. I found dog bone cookie cutters at Petsmart in the "Martha Stewart" section of course. 3 different sizes.

Peanut Butter Dog Bone Cookies For Dogs Ingredients
    • 1/8 cup honey
    • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (no salt, sugar or oil added)
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
    • 1/2 cup natural apple juice (no sugar added or low sugar)
    • 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
    • 3/4 cup organic rolled oats
    • 1 cup organic flour
    Temperature
    • Oven: 300 degrees F.

Step 1. Preheat oven to 300 F degrees. In a large bowl, mix in honey with flour.
    Step 2. Add in the 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Stir.
    Step 3. Measure out 1/4 cup of applesauce and mix in as well. Add in the remaining ingredients – 1/2 cup apple juice and 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil (or any oil).

Place mixture in pan and cook over medium heat until it begins to simmer and thicken.

Remove from pan and add in 3/4 cup oats and 1 cup flour.

Step 4. Stir in flour until it forms a stiff dough. Divide dough in half and place on floured surface.

Step 5. Roll out until 1/4 inch thickness and use a dog bone cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.

Step 6. Place dog bone cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
    Bake in preheated 300F oven for 20 minutes or until light golden brown on both sides.
    When all the cookie batches are done, turn off the oven and place all cookies in the oven for 1 hour as oven cools
    Post edited by velvetkat at 2010-08-29 18:08:14
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    I tried out the recipe below for making training treats - I figured out that the amount of time invested is almost the same for making your own treats versus breaking or cutting up larger treats into tiny pieces for training. As far as how much he liked them - Koni will do tricks for kibble, and I would say these ranked slightly higher than that. The advantage for me is that I can use them around the house and not get stinky hands!

Molasses treats (modified from ljowen123's recipe)

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 whole milk

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix, add milk if too dry. Roll out dough and cut into bit size pieces. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees , about 20 minutes. Store in airtight container up to 4 weeks.

I ate a few of these myself and they're not that bad. Emergency rations...
  • SayaSaya
  • Try cheese chips!

Recipe:

Shredded cheese
    * most cheeses work
    *let your dog test them

Sprinkle small amounts of cheese on a foil/ parchment paper and place in the oven at 150-250 F depending on oven until crispy and melted.

Let cool and your dog will woof them up!
  • Has anyone heard about the garlic toxicity? They include vomiting,diarrhea, anemia, tachycardia [irregular heart beat] weakness, liver damage, allergic reactions, asthmatic attacks, contact dermatitis, and gastrointestinal damage.

I just ask because I see alot of recipes with garlic powder used.

Jennifer Prince DVM states that “The bulbs, bulbets, flowers, and stems of the garlic and onion are all poisonous” and that “both fresh and dried (for use as spices) are equally dangerous.” [2] In a paper titled: Toxin exposures in dogs and cats:Pesticides and Biotoxins, Michael J. Murphy, DVM, PhD, writes: “The active ingredient in oil of onion is allyl propyl disulfide; the active ingredient in oil of garlic is a similar compound called allicin. Garlic may cause contact dermatitis or imitate an asthmatic attack.” [6] A 2001 study on the effect of garlic on the gastrointestinal mucosa compared the effects of several different forms of garlic on the lining of the stomach and intestines. The results of the study showed that the dehydrated boiled garlic powder caused “severe damage” to the lining of the stomach; the dehydrated raw garlic powder caused some reddening,and that the aged garlic extract had no ill effects on the stomach membranes.The study also found that feeding enteric-coated garlic tablets caused “loss ofepithelial cells at the top of crypts in the ileum.
  • Noted that several members like dehydrated sweet potato. Found this recipe for making your own even if you don't have a food dehydrator.

http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-make-sweet-potato-dog-chew.html?m=1
  • imspiritbimspiritb
    really easy treats i make for Katsu, his breeder showed me, is hot dog chips. Slice in thin pieces all natural hot hogs (we prefer chicken dogs), nuke for 6-7 mins until dried out. He loves these! (Although I eat most of them and need to make more often xD)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)