For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
ALS vs Puppy
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz and Jackie have been eating wellness puppy then switched to blue buffalo puppy. I'm planning to switch to taste of the wild due to the massive gas they got from BB puppy lamb formula.

My question is what preference do people have when choosing All life stage food vs puppy specific food? I have searched the forum and have not seen any discussion about this topic. TOTW is coming out with puppy formulas mid november, i was wondering if i should wait for that or get the all life stage.

I heard from fellow dog park people that puppy formula makes dogs grow fast, which is the reason why they only fed puppy formula until 4 months then switched to all life stage formula. My puppies are currently about 5months.

Thanks!
  • LosechLosech
    Puppy formulas have more vitamins and minerals, I think, since puppies need more because they're growing? I could be wrong, I don't really know too much on that. I don't think it matters when it comes to ALS foods.
    I think it's a bigger problem for large and giant breeds than smaller ones like a Shiba.

Conker didn't eat puppy food for very long since I switched him to raw, and he eats the exact same thing as he did when he was younger so I guess I've been feeding him an ALS food. If you can compare it like that.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • spammayspammay
  • lucylulucylu
    ALS is fine for smaller dogs. The thing you have to watch out for, especially for larger breeds is the calcium/phosphorus levels. You don't want that to be too high for large breeds as it could lead to bone problems. For a smaller dog like a Shiba there shouldn't be any issues though.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • SayaSaya
  • BootzBootz
    @ Saya, I was planning on getting the bison one...sounds tasty.

Bootz prefers lamb over the chicken or fish. Although little Jackie seems to be the picky one...as she has gotten sick of the BB lamb.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2011-10-27 17:23:19
  • AnnaAnna
    @spammay I think TOTW is fine for a pup (at least a Shiba pup anyways). The breeder I got Hammond from started the pups on that when they first started weaning and currently he is eating the salmon one (breeder had been feeding the bison). He seemed to love them both, but he gobbles the salmon faster. He's got lots of energy and has been having firm poops, so everything seems good.
  • KikkiKikki
  • jennjenn
  • KikkiKikki
  • jennjenn
    Post edited by jenn at 2013-07-01 00:13:00
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • KikkiKikki
  • ArcticArctic
    Yes, you can give your pup raw egg. Mine has gotten one about once a week since she was three months old.

Also, I would not subscribe the size difference to the food. One of my Roy's littermates is also a female and, although they were similar in size as puppies, ended up noticeably bigger than my dog. Anecdotal evidence, but my point is that dogs come out in different sizes. It's probably more of a natural thing than anything to do with food.
  • TengaiTengai
    I feed raw, there is no puppy formula! Pups turn out fine, no growth issues no health issues. They get a natural calcium/phosphorus ratio. When I do feed kibble they get weaned to puppy kibble one meal 2 meals raw until about 10 weeks or when I run out of puppy kibble, then they go to adult formula for 1 meal/kong stuffing. Other 2 meals raw.
  • KikkiKikki
  • JuniJuni
    Raw egg yoke is fine, but not raw egg whites, from what I've read. There are substances in the raw eggwhite that prevents the uptake of vitamin B and protein.
  • KikkiKikki
  • JuniJuni
    Oh great I didn't know that, also I didn't know how to spell yolk.... :-)
  • KikkiKikki

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)