For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
shiba body shake!!!
  • SakuSaku
    I don't know if it's just my shibas, they shake their bodies all the time (they shake like they just got out of shower). They shake when they first wake up in the morning, when they get off car, after we put harness on them, and many other occasions...I have never seen other dogs shake as many times as my shiba. Is it one of the shiba's quirks?
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-09-27 13:13:12
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Our 3 shibas shake all the time like yours do. They shake in-between play sessions, like when they are wrestling.
  • That's so funny. I never thought about it, but yes, all the time! Let me see: waking up, after we pet them, after we brush them, after we click leash off, after they wrestle, after a good scratch, after a good stretch, the list goes on. I suppose I would lose count on most days.

Anyone have any theories?
  • SayaSaya
    Ever heard of the shiba shake? :D

I heard that once after watching a red shiba on a dog show the shiba shaked when the handler put it on the ground to walk around. I forgot if the shiba was a he or she sorry..

I think it's normal long as it's not excessive..

Saya does it when she wakes up, or gotten up from a nap or few other instances.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • HamletHamlet
    Theoretically, a dog's shake is a way of removing frustration...i.e. "shaking it off".

Our Shibas lead very rough lives, don't you know?

And yes, my Shibas shake quite frequently. :D
  • lucylulucylu
    I just noticed this as well. Our shiba shakes all the time. She'll just be walking around the house and go into a shake.
  • LosechLosech
    Yup, Conker shakes all the time. After play, after eating, after drinking, after doing just about anything. Or before, or during whatever he happens to be doing.
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Bea shakes all the time!
  • sunyatasunyata
    lol... Yep, we call it the Shiba Shake. However, I really do not think it has anything at all to do with removing frustration. It probably has more to do with removing loose fur or other foreign objects from their coat.

It is super predictable with my girls. If I take both of my hands and run them slowly down one of the girl's body, about halfway down the shake starts. It cracks me up. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • My trainer pointed out the fact that mine do use their shake as a bit of a ‘reset’ button. Not every time they shake (which is WAY frequent), but fairly often. It’s funny how the shake is respected between my dogs; when playing there’s always time allowances for shaking before one pounces on the other.
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • Nami shakes all the time too :) I heard that it is even allowed for shibas in a show ring....judge will not take any points off for shakng, after shiba was handled and examined...
  • @maxwells - I forgot about that! It's like a time out to tie their shoes before wrestling continues. haha
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Our pup shakes frequently. It's a random thing, though a trainer did mention it should be his "reset" as maxwell stated.

Since this is our first Shiba we found it really funny the first few times we saw it!
  • Both of my girls shake, my 10-month-old more than the older. Melon does it all the time, at first I thought it had to do with her harness and I'm sure sometimes it does. She shakes once we get outside, after we come back inside, when I put her harness on and take it off, when she gets out of her kennel, after she eats, etc. She even does it in her kennel most nights! I wake up to the metal shaking and her tags jingling. It's so cute. Plus, shaking Shiba pictures are so funny. I always try to snap a quick one when they do it.
    signature
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood shakes all the time too! What a funny breed characteristic. I had a friend comment one time that Elwood always shakes after someone is done petting him, so he must be trying to get the "human" smell off of him.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • bobc33bobc33
    Both mine do the shake frequently, and as someone mentioned above there must be a Shiba code regarding "respecting the shake" as they always let the other shake uninterrupted. It cracks me up.
  • kai_528kai_528
    Didn't realize it was a breed characteristic, but Kai shakes all the time. I'm just glad she doesn't do the shiba scream.
  • ProtokProtok
    Shakes all the time, I also didn't know it had anything to do with the breed; learn something new everyday :)
  • BrittyLeeBrittyLee
    I just got my little shiba Mila yesterday and noticed she seems to shy away from Men. She only shakes when something or someone seems to scare her? I understand that the breed shakes frequently, but my little girl only shakes when she seems frightened. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help her get over this fear?
  • Stef777Stef777
    Hmmm well the discussion is talking about a different shake the kind you see most dogs do when they are being bathed. Shibas have a tendancy to shake like that throughout the day. It is not a fearful shake.

You might want to search for fearful dog in the advanced search to get information on a shy/fearful dog.
  • We call it 'dont touch me' when she shakes after we pet her lol
  • Stef777Stef777
    @Kramlwife20 hahaha that's funny. Kendaux will usually shake when I ask him to perform a tick or do something he doesn't want to do. It's like he's saying no! He's just to smart for his own good
  • Zim does it at random. My husband thinks of it as him "ensuring fluffyness."
  • DakotaRose42DakotaRose42
    I love the Shiba Shake! It's almost like mine start shaking at the nose, and go down the entire body and end's with the tail.
    ~Steph and Wade~ Proudly owned by: Shiba and Lyla
    http://luv4shiba.tumblr.com/
  • ShintalverShintalver
    Shinta's a mover and a "shaker" for sure :-D

On an odd note, it reminds me of when I had a cockatiel, she'd poof up and shake out her feathers periodically, definitely an "I'm on to the next thing" signal for her.

It usually does seem to be the reset for him, unless he's shaking because something's bugging him about his coat...like someone petting him the "wrong way" lol. Only time it concerns me is when he does it right in the middle of the street...his timing is poor sometimes.
  • HibariShibaHibariShiba
    Ponta will sometimes shake on command, when we let him know it's required to get out of the shower or be let in after grooming.

Interestingly, he also uses it as a dodge to avoid doing a command he doesn't like. I try to tell him to "sit" while we're on a walk and I need him to be still; when he doesn't want to, he'll often do a shake, and afterwards pretend like he forgot what I had just told him to do. I caught on when I noticed he only did the shake on walks after I give him a command. He'll try it at home sometimes too.

Ponta is devious that way. If there's something he wants to sniff/lick/chew at on a walk, but I say "No!" and drag him away from it, he will often use a strategy I fell for the first few times: he'll vector off in a direction away from his desired target but closer than before, then after a few seconds, he'll turn a little bit more that way, and keeps on doing that until we've described an arc... and just "happen" to arrive back at the exact spot he wanted to get at. He won't just obviously make a beeline for it, he will intentionally do the circle thing. I was quite impressed when I figured out what he was doing--it seems to me that this requires either planning or self-awareness on a level I didn't think dogs could do. Either that, or, what, is it instinct?
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Apollo shakes nearly every time he comes back inside from pottying. Like "shaking off" the stuff from outside haha. He also does it after he's been laying in one spot for a while, then finds another spot. I remember when my sister first babysat for him she asked if his frequent shaking was normal and she said she was concerned because it looked kind of painful LOL. They do shake pretty hard, harder than most dogs I've seen.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    I inadvertently taught one of our boys to do it on command. I decided that was handy during bathtime. When we were done and he was still in the tub, I'd hold a towel wide open and tell him to "Show me Shiba shake!" He would and that would get all that initial water off of him while it could be caught in the tub and by the towel. That made cleaning up the bathroom far easier!
  • LosechLosech
    @WendyNC That's awesome! I want to teach that to Conker, since he loves to go to the creek near the dog park. He's never dry by the time we get home (I live 1/2 mile away) and I either have to towel him off or leave him in the yard for a bit.
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    @Losech, the way I "taught" Kobe was by saying "Shiba shake!" every time I saw him start to do it. He seemed to like having it acknowledged. One time after a bath, I held up the towel and said, "Show me Shiba shake!" just to see if he'd do it. It worked.

After Kobe passed and Charlie came to live with us, I tried to do the same thing with him, this time on purpose. However, Charlie was a much more mellow dog and not as prone to doing the shake, so it never became fully reliable as a command.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)