For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Female-female aggression leading to need to rehome
  • Hey everyone. I'm a new member looking for some advice here... but it's a bit of a story, so hang with me for a second. I think I have to give up one of my shibas, in the end of the day, and I keep breaking into tears here, so please don't misjudge me and think I haven't tried everything else I could.

I have two female shiba inus, both turning five years old this week, though they are not littermates. Kismet (red sesame), we got when she was 9 weeks old, and is possibly one of the happiest, most mentally balanced dogs I've ever met. Mei Lei (black & tan), on the other hand, was more of a pseudo-rescue situation; I bought her from a pet store when she was six months old because I couldn't stand to leave her there, and was worried they might euthanize her if she didn't sell soon. The fact that she was terrified and confused about what the SKY was when I took her outside proved the point. The people at the place had said she wasn't up front because she had tried to take other puppies' food portions when she was younger, so they had put her alone in a cage in the back. They claim they've never had a problem with an employee being bad to a dog, but Mei Lei is outright terrified of fly swatters. I do recognize that it was stupid in a lot of ways to take her, it meant I gave money to those people which presumably m,ans they can keep running their horrid business, but I just.. I couldn't/ leave this poor puppy there. This is not an ongoing problem or habit of mine, it was just this once... and I've spent the last five years trying to do my best by both my dogs.

Hold on, I need to put the rest in a second post, apparently I killed the size limit...
  • The main problem from her time there, in any case, seems to be that she didn't get properly socialized with other dogs. She loves people, children especially, to the point of happily sitting still for a toddler to yank on her ears and scream in her face, but it's like she doesn't speak "dog" or something. She doesn't understand canine body language, she doesn't understand pack order, or seemingly /any/ of the things dogs need to know to get along with each other. She's taken instead to trying to mimic us (she tries to smile at new people too, presumably from her months in the pet shop of being brought out for customers as her only interaction), and that seems to equate to finding rules that the other animals might be breaking and trying to put them in line. She will growl and snarl and even attack Kismet or the cat for, say, coming near me, or trying to go near the table we had food on two hours ago, along with the typical threshold guarding and food guarding. If we control the food more in an effort to lower tensions, she finds something else to get insanely protective of, and this deeply confuses and upsets Kismet and my cat, as they can understand the whole food thing, even if they don't like it, but she suddenly freaks over something that was previously innocent... and yeah. Mei becomes a nervous wreck as she tries to control everything around her, and then Kismet's miserable because Mei is mad at her and Kismet seems to honestly believe that everyone should be friends (when the cat cries, she tries to give him her favorite squeak toy to cheer him up). Kismet will try to appease and please her, and sometimes it works for a little while, but most of the time it results in Mei becoming even more riled up. When she reaches a certain point of aggression, we have no choice but to kennel her (we crate-trained both of them and whenever we left the house they went into the kennels until they were four), but she seems to have an incredibly long memory, and she'll wait until our attention is not as focused then attack Kismet, because I think she's decided that because Kismet did something that she needed to shriek at her for, it's Kismet's fault that she got kenneled. This is of course speculation, but I work in psychosocial rehab for children, and dog psychology is nigh identical to child psychology for an average dog that has the intelligence level of a three or four-year old child, whereas I know my shibas, at least, are closer to a seven or eight-year-old. Kismet thinks in abstract, which I've never heard of a dog doing really at all... I know I was taught in all my schooling that it's not possible, but I see it every day, so I think they never tested a shiba on that, or just didn't pay good enough attention. I will admit it's mildly creepy to realize my dog is running experiments on my behavior more than I am on hers, or trying to determine all factors that might effect whether or not a dog door is open at what time... She lacks anything vaguely resembling common sense, so she can be a bit of an idiot, but she also... makes no assumptions about how something works until she's spent hours and days, even weeks, figuring out the rules that guide it.

...I'm getting off topic. That's incredibly easy to do when I start talking about my girls. In any case, back to the actual subject...

When they were puppies, it wasn't that big of a deal, as she just went along with whatever and the two pups got along fine. She was protective of food, but we rather expected it and worked with it and eventually got her to be okay with the notion of a mutual tower feeder instead of specific meal times. When they got older, however, Mei Lei seemed to decide that she ought to be the boss, and began following Kismet around growling and snarling near constantly. After about eight months of this, she attacked Kismet, and there was a pretty hefty vet bill as a result. It took us over 15 months of coaxing reintroduction before they could be in the same room at all (with muzzles), even very carefully watched, with Kismet making strong efforts to be submissive despite it really not being in her nature - she wanted her friend back enough to do just about anything. Eventually, we got it to the point that they could be around each other all the time, even alone. Then the dog fights started again. We've been going through periods of fighting and very tense tolerance on Mei's part before she snaps again, and she also follows around and growls at our cat now, who would have no chance of defending himself, as he has no claws. In all their fights, however, Kismet has only been defensive; once we get them apart, Kismet will be soaked all around her neck, from Mei trying to bite through her mane (which is about as thick as a male's), while Mei, if she's hurt at all, has nips along her front legs.

Killed the character limit again, continuing in another post...
  • They got into another fight tonight, however, and Kismet seems to have lost some of her patience; she was far more aggressive this time, and she is by far the better fighter of the two. Mei Lei is okay, I've bandaged her up and the bites were superficial (and I'm both trained as an EMT and grew up doing a lot of assisted vet work bandaging up fighting cats and getting them back to good health), but this is the fourth full-fledged dog fight they have gotten into in the past month, and it.. just seems like I can't get anywhere with this, no matter how hard I try. It's been three years, and we've made literally no progress despite taking a ton of different tilts.

Mei Lei is an emotional wreck and is almost constantly growling and snapping at Kismet and the cat now. She's amazing with people, and adores small children especially - she has a strong maternal streak - but she just can't seem to overcome her dislike of other dogs.

I think she would be a lot happier, far less stressed, in a household where she is the only pet. She has gotten very maternal about a young puppy we fostered last year, to the point that we think she might be able to live with another dog if they were introduced young and didn't have a headstrong personality, like Kismet (who does what she does absolutely happily and oblivios to any conflict). We have decided against that course because it /is/ a gamble, and if it didn't work out... that's not a good emotional place for a puppy. I hate to be doing this, but... I think it really might be the best choice for /her/, even if it breaks my heart. I can keep her until we find someone trustworthy and appropriate, but the situation in my home right now is a bit of a ticking time bomb, and I'm confident that this is for the best, so long as I can know she's going to a new home where she won't be mistreated. She had to live through abuse and neglect through one part of her life already, and I couldn't bear to think that something bad might happen to her. I don't want to move her around more than would be necessary, she already has an insecure personality, but... well, I've already said, really. I love my dog... but if I keep trying this now, she's stressed and miserable as she is, and she's actively traumatizing Kismet as well with every fight. Every time they have a scuffle, Kismet goes into shock and seems to relive the fight where Mei really hurt her, and starts screaming and really favoring her back leg where Mei bit deep into the muscle of her hindquarters last year. She was only a little wet around the scruff, but she was convinced that her leg was agaonizing again for almost an hour. I just can't DO this to either of them anymore. Kismet has a very close relationship with my cat as well, they rub up against and snuggle each other all the time, and Mei really only seems to see the cat as "that weird-looking dog who gets to do all these things I'm not allowed, so I hate him".

I don't know how to go about making sure she ends up somewhere good for her, and I'm frankly an emotional mess over this, so I could really use some advice on how to go about this. She's an extremely sweet dog, with people. She just wants to follow you around and sit at your sit or next to you, she's as sharp as any shiba and trains quickly, is well mannered, and as I mentioned, she's absolutely amazing with babies. She's content to hide from the kids in the 9-12 year old range, but she tries to babysit the younger ones and is just absolutely happy with it. Also, for better or worse, she has very good bladder control. We think what happened was that they only came to clean up her mess in the cage once or twice a day, and she didn't want it around that long, so she tried to get so she could only go to the bathroom right before they did it. My husband and I realized this a month or so after getting her when I went on a trip with Kismer and he stayed at home with Mei, that left to her own devices, she only wants to go outside ever 10 hours or so. Obviously, we don't encourage this and just press her into going outside far more frequently, but I bring it up because she's not overly fond of the outdoors, and with such good control, she could be very happy living in an apartment. Kismet needs a yard in order to really be happy, but Mei Lei doesn't really care, she doesn't even like to play very much, she just wants to cuddle.
  • Thanks for putting up with this giant post... Any opinions or ideas or... anything, please say something. I tried to contact the closest shiba rescue to here, and they're insisting that I can't continue to foster her until a match is found, and they want me to both pay $200 and drive her to LA. I don't care about getting money but... I already have to give up my dog, I can't bear to do it so harshly and make it so hard on her by shifting her through one or more foster homes as well. I've come here with the note that I need to do this, but I'm not trying to shuffle her out as fast as is possible, I can keep her a while, it's just... I know now that I can't keep her permanently. It's something of a ticking time bomb period, I know there will be another fight before too long, and this will only continue to spiral downhill, but I don't want to make this any harder on the dog than it already is.

Niko
    --
    P.S. I'm in class right now, but I'll most pictures of both my girls when I get home and have access to my desktop. This netbook has next to no storage capacity, but it's nice and light for packing around college campus.
  • Niko,

Actually, that is not what I said. I said that the timing was "off", and we JUST had a black and tan Shiba driven out to us from Vegas 2 days ago. However, if you wanted to quickly have us take her that we would prefer you to drive her out to us. With the majority of owner surrenders causing us much strife, coordination and time, only to have the entire thing fall through, we have considered taking surrender donations. I don't want to waste my volunteer's time with coordinating a pickup to drive the dog from Las Vegas to LA when the whole plan could sour. I didn't say that you fall into this category, but this has happened time and time again to us.

Finally, I did provide you with a link to the National Shiba Rescue site so that you may post your dog up. The do provide courtesy listings. Best of luck,
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. I also have gone through this, and had similar problems with an unsocialized and unhealthy female Shiba who nearly killed my male Shiba. If you search for my posts or look at my blog, you can get the background on it, if you want see that, but otherwise, it is basically a similar thing.

First, you need to keep the dogs separate all the time now. Period. Put one in another room and don't let them be together. You need to do this to make sure they don't kill each other and there are no more serious injuries. my male was at the vet for 6 weeks; you don't want to go through that.

Probably it is best that you rehome Mei Lei. It sounds like she may be ok as an only dog. If you want to keep her until you find another home for her, you can do the courtesy listing with the National Shiba rescue site. That's what I did, and I had a fair amount of inquiries on my girl, though none of them panned out. Some I rejected outright, and then of those who did come to meet Bel, they didn't want her, and I can't blame them, because unlike your girl, my girl was seriously dog aggressive and terrified of strangers, so she wasn't really appealing, you know? I ended up keeping Bel, simply because after she'd been listed for several months, I realized I was used to keeping the dogs separate and also that she was so fearful of strangers, it would be cruel to send her off to a new home. I can't recommend what I did; it's just what we ended up doing. It's been several years, and Bel would still kill Toby if she could. I have seriously thought of euthanizing her, and I do expect there will come a time when I have to, as even with vigilant management, mistakes happen, and she attacked Toby earlier this summer. We take it day by day, month by month, but I do expect my little girl will not live out her nature life time, unfortunately.

Try the courtesy listing if you want to keep her at home, but be careful to keep the dogs separated in the meantime, and understand that you may not find a home for her for months. You've obviously gotten a response here re: rescue, but I'd say its not unreasonable for a rescue to ask you to turn the dog over if you're not going the courtesy listing route, or even to consider a donation, as rescue is hard, often thankless work, and a lot of people flake out on them.

If you haven't had a thyroid test done on her you should. Low thyroid can cause aggression. It is true in Bel's case, but getting her thyroid levels up took some of the edge off her aggression, but Shibas do have long memories, it seems, and it hasn't stopped her from wanting to kill Toby.

I also think you're anthropomorphizing your dogs quite a bit. Dogs are not humans. I don't think it helps to attach human feelings/emotions to dog behavior, though of course I know how easy it is for us all to fall into that.

Bottom line? I think you need to rehome her, and probably the best thing to do is work with your local rescue and release her to them (rather than go through the courtesy listing which will take longer and keep the other dog in danger). Think about how you'd feel if she killed Kismet. And she could. And think about how hard as it is, she'd do better in another home too.

Please don't think I'm being callous about this either. Believe me, I know SO WELL what you're going through and it is agonizing. In my case, rehoming Bel (who has many other health problems including epilepsy) is not an option, so I'm looking at putting her down. Even now, it may be what I should do sooner, rather than later, but for now, we're holding steady. If I had the option of finding a workable home for Bel, I'd do it, but she's so skittish and fearful of everyone but me that I can't see it working.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Good luck to you.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
  • I can relate to your situation. I am fortunate in that the one dog my female is not aggressive with is my second Shiba Max as they were raised together since both were weaned from separate litters.

I will not make any suggestions as it is abundantly clear you have made every effort to integrate your Shibas and eliminate conflict.

All I will say is you have my empathy and best wishes finding a suitable home for her. I can only imagine how difficult it was to reach your decision and how much heartache you are experiencing now.

I wish you the best.
  • Niko, I'm sorry you have to go through this. It sounds like you've thought long and hard about the situation. A couple "last ditch" ideas come to mind. One, I'm not sure if you've done any recent blood work on Mei Lei, including thyroids, to rule out any underlying medical reasons that might be escalating her recent aggressive behavior. Second, I don't know if you're willing and able to consult a behaviorist for a professional evaluation on whether or not this situation is rectifiable. It sounds to my untrained perspective that maybe things have gone a little too far at this point, and that rehoming one Shiba is a wise option if done correctly. But we've also had forum members who have gone through great pains and expense to learn how to manage and work with their Shibas that just don't get along. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, of course, but those are some more options you may want to consider.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that you considered rescue as an option. I think it's totally reasonable for a rescue to ask for you to make the drive, even part of it, and/or offer up an owner surrender fee. Those of us who love this breed are all over the country and are willing to network, but it's also a gesture of good faith and a last kindness, in a way, for the owner to not foist everything onto the rescue, especially if you DO have any feelings for your dog. If you do decide to put your dog in the hands of rescue, they WILL be careful to find her a good home, I know. But any resources you can offer in place of your own person, whether it's information or time or money, will help.

If you'd rather have some control over where Mei Lei goes, then I think that a courtesy listing with National Shiba Rescue would be the way to go. The onus would be on you to carefully screen the potential owner, to visit their house if possible and make them understand that if for ANY reason it doesn't work out, they should contact you -- assuming that you would always want her to have someplace to go other than a shelter.

I can dig up some resources for a list of the types of questions that you could ask a potential owner. Basically, your goal would be to make sure that the new owner can provide a good, safe home for her, which includes a thorough understanding of her past with other dogs, and some kind of *plan* for how to deal with it (whether that includes a commitment to additional positive training or careful management or whatever).

In the meantime, you say that you're willing to take care of Mei Lei as long as it takes, but that the situation is also a ticking time bomb. I'm not sure that these two sentiments work well together, and so I can understand the sense of urgency that rescue was feeling to get her out of her current situation, the way you describe it. Here's an exercise you can try (and also to help you write your courtesy listing): try to just describe what you know of Mei Lei's temperament and behavior, involving comparisons to Kismet as little as possible, and try not to anthropomorphize with phrases like "she has a strong maternal streak" or comparing her psychology to a child's. It clouds the issue that is happening between the *two dogs*, and such descriptions could potentially mislead whomever comes to learn more about Mei Lei. I'm not saying you should withhold information, but it seems to me that your deep personal investments in their situation are causing you more grief by way of overthinking, which is why an outside perspective -- be it a behaviorist's or a rescue evaluator's -- might be of some help.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Really quick: consider rehoming the dog that has the BEST social skills and that can have the best chance at a new start. Keep the more difficult dog. The more difficult dog will have a harder time being in rescue and finding owners adept at managing her dog to dog aggression issues. That is my suggestion if you decide to place a dog into rescue.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I understand the reason for the donation fee, and I'm not entirely against doing that on its own, or driving her across state lines to the shelter. I don't fully like it, but it makes sense. My problem, myamamo, was that in the way you evaded questions, it seemed very heavily implied that I would need to take her on a long car trip (which she's actually quite good about), and leave her in a foster home where she might continue to be shuffled around from home to home for who knows how long before someone took her permanently. This is a dog that nearly goes into a meltdown when I move her food bowl two feet from its old position, and if I can avoid having her bounce locations multiple times, I would really prefer to do it that way. I understand the problem of owners surrendering ownership going sour, as you phrased it, and I understand that there's probably nothing I can do to convince you that I won't change my mind. I believe I said I would email you tonight with pictures of her, at which point I was going to ask for more clarification as well, but with that in mind, the last time I asked for clarification and if I could sign on as a foster home for shibas and work with you, you instead told me that if I had said something last week, you could have taken BOTH of my dogs. From one of shibamistress' comments, however, I gather I've probably missed something about how rescues normally work, which is entirely possible. This is the first time in my life that I have ever worked with any animal shelter of any kind. I had to run off to campus earlier so I had to go before I could dig through my desktop hard drive to find where my photos were, so I did not have time then to do a courtesy listing on the national website. I'll admit you offended and freaked me out a bit more, but I joined this site to ask this question before I found your rescue site, I just didn't become authorized as a member until today. You didn't say that I had to drive her if I wanted you to take her quickly, I specifically said I was more concerned with a good match for her than rushing her out, and your response rather indicated that either you didn't care to talk to me about how your system works until I had signed a contract and written a check. I offered to /be/ a foster home (I'd even be willing to sign a contract on not retaining ownership on her, and on fostering other shibas that are okay with other dogs later on if needed, Kismet loves other dogs) and your only response was "we don't have foster homes in Vegas". Again, I'm not fussing over the money factor, I'm worried about stability, and I'm not against working it this way if I have some guarantee that stability isn't going to be thrown to the wind. I don't hate my dog and want her out of the house immediately, I just know I can't keep this up for another three years, and it would be better for her in the long-term. I understand you don't want to spend the time if you think I might flake off, but please understand in turn that if you literally ignore what I say, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable leaving my dog with you. After all, my communication skills are considerably better than hers, and we're still really missing something, it seems. Maybe this is all misunderstanding on my part, but frankly, it would be irresponsible behavior towards my dog for me to blindly trust you when you brush off details. Maybe I came off the wrong way or maybe that's how you deal with people who have to give up their dogs, but I have no idea if one of those or something else entirely was the true problem.
  • Thanks, shibamistress... It's good to know I'm not alone on having dealt with this. The girls are separated now, and are going to stay that way. We've done complete separation that lasted almost two years before, so we /can/ do it. The only reason we had them together again was essentially because we had an okay response when we reintroduced them as part of a larger pack of dogs, because we moved into my mother's house for a time. We no longer live with them, and the problems have escalated again. I'm really sorry to hear about Bel... and I suppose I know full well how you feel in turn on that. My hope is that since Mei adores strangers and people so much, and lacks health problems aside from springtime allergies, she might just genuinely be a good match somewhere without other dogs or cats. My main concern with rehoming her is simply I only want her to have to move once, maybe twice max. She has a rather insecure personality, and moving around might put her deeper and deeper into her shell, and possibly move her towards the same boat as Bel, where she /doesn't/ handle stranger well, if it goes on too long. I hadn't heard about the thyroid thing before... How hard is it to go about checking it?

I'll admit to some anthropomorphizing tendencies... And my own defense, all I'll say is that with dogs so intelligent as shibas, it makes you wonder if we've missed something about them. I tend to go overboard on that front, however. The long memories thing just adds to it, really.

Thanks for the support, you guys. I keep randomly just starting to cry... But I know I need to do it. I'm just... trying to figure out how to rehome her with as little trauma to her as possible.
  • The thyroid is just a simple blood test. And if she has a thyroid problem, it's an inexpensive pill that is given twice a day.

A shelter is NOT the same as rescue at all, and you do not want her to end up in a shelter.

Also, I'm getting kind of conflicting views about Mei Lei. You say she's good with people, and thus would be good in another home, but then say she is insecure and has melt downs if things aren't exactly the same. This doesn't sound like a secure and confident dog to me. If you're really worried that moving her a couple of times will be stressful for her, then she may not be the most confident dog? And in that case, Lindsay's probably right: if you have to rehome one, you should probably keep the most difficult dog.

(in my case, for example, I know quite well that Toby is the one who should be rehomed, if any were going to be, as he would adjust ok to a new home, and has a better chance of finding another home. But I'm not willing to let him go. You may not be willing to let Kismet go, and I understand that. But it would probably be an easier thing to find the easiest dog a new place).

Most rescues try to keep dogs in one foster home, if possible, because they also are striving for as much stability as possible with the dogs. Not that they can always do that, but they try. Please try to be considerate about what rescues go through. It's a thankless job, mostly, and they do it for the love of the dogs, and they try to do what is best for the dogs. It seems to me that this may be a misunderstanding, but I also think since you admittedly don't know how they work, it would be useful to not be so quick to assume that they are doing something wrong. Giving up your girl to a rescue is much, much preferable than some of the other options and so please don't be so quick to dismiss them.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • She freaks out on the nearest dog when the food is moved. She doesn't ever get aggressive with humans, so I suppose her moving around foster homes wouldn't be as bad as it feels like it would be, so long as she's not with other dogs. The problem only arises when there are other dogs that might get all the food first, it seems like. I'm... probably just overreacting. I'm sorry. A rescue is very preferable to a shelter; I wouldn't consider a shelter at all, frankly. I found the this website initially because of the reference to posting craigslist postings on this site that I found via google, and... I had a case of a family friend needing to give up their dog when they lost their house then couldn't find a place to rent that would allow their dog, they thought they found a good home, the guy seemed enthusiastic, then apparently, he immediately took her to be put down. I'm... stupidly emotional, at the moment. Sorry, everyone.

If I gave up Kismet instead of Mei, the problem with Mei and the cat still persists, and I worry that it might escalate. Also, I could only take the cat out of my mother's house when I moved because he and Kismet are "friends" and I have in the past had to give him back to my mother because if left without any other animals, he hides in the back bedroom, cries all the time, and barely eats. Therefore... not really an option. I did think about it, though.
  • Curlytails, I would love any advice you could give me about making a posting. Some of it seems like common sense that I wasn't minding here because I wanted the full story down with it clear that I've really tried hard and this wasn't a fast decision. After all, this isn't a place to really list Shibas for adoption in any case.

I can see where my words would be misinterpreted... I suppose by "ticking time bomb" I meant that I know that this is a situation that will eventually go entirely bad, it's a matter of time, but... I more meant that I recognize this isn't something really fixable anymore; we first started to seriously consider finding her another home over a year ago, but eventually decided to try for longer. I can keep them separated as long as it takes to find her a home, but I know I can't have her as my dog for the next decade, now. For Kismet's sake, I need to do something, because like Bel, Mei is approaching the level of actually wanting to kill Kismet.

I'll see if I can make an appointment to test her thyroid hormone levels, though... and I found a few pictures, finally.
  • I get the ticking time bomb thing for sure. I'm in the same situation. Once you realize that, it feels like you really are under pressure to do something. I feel like I probably shouldn't be just managing them as I am, as any mistake could be deadly, but....it's really hard too. So I keep going. But I understand: I can't have Bel for the next 10 years either, and she's only 6 so she's still could have many years in front of her.

And I totally know what you mean about thinking it might be ok to try them together again. Bel attacked Toby most recently when I took them on a walk together. I shouldn't have taken them together, but for a year, she'd been good with him, so I thought it was ok. Then it wasn't. But I think, like us, you've pretty much exhausted your options in trying to get them to be together safely.

In terms of posting, the courtesy listing has a set form, so it's pretty easy to follow. I added that Bel was very dog aggressive, and I had to rehome her because she nearly killed my other dog, and I could not trust her with him. I also talked about how she was fearful with people. I just said the basics, as briefly as possible, and when people contacted me, I had a little write up (a few paragraphs) of her history that I sent to them, and asked questions. It was pretty straight forward, actually, since most people that contacted me, unfortunately, were out of the question: one had a cat (Bel has a super high prey drive, so no) and another had a female JRT. One wanted to make her an outside dog. There were only about three people who were possible, and two never came to meet her and one she ran from, so...that was that.

Anyway....it's really hard. Work with the rescues, as they will have the best chance of finding a place for her. Good luck.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-09-07 03:08:07
  • Niko,

Although it is not ideal for you, our rescue likes to keep all parties anonymous. The foster home is the middle man that bridges owner surrenders and adopters. For example, say you were both the owner surrenderer and the foster, and the adopter (knowing all of this) adopts the dog. All is well for the first month, until suddenly the dog experiences the first thunderstorm in the new home. He/she tears a hole in the wall, rips carpeting, etc... Now you have the adopter contacting you- accusing you of never informing of this, that you did a horrible job at training and perhaps you even abused this dog.... Nobody wants that kind of drama.

Even on the flip side, the new adopter does not want to be contacted at random times to be "checked in on" or even judged that they are not taking good care of the dog.

It is just easier that the parties do not know one another, and for that reason, we don't usually adopt straight from the surrendering owner to the adopter.

You are getting good advice here from the other members. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Niko-Easton:

I sent you some info. I hope it will help.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-09-07 10:56:59

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)