For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Toxic Items?
  • AnnaAnna
    So, in preparation for my pup (I bring him home either October 1st or 15th! No pictures yet, but I'll follow up with the breeder this week) I've been doing all the supply buying, vet researching, etc.

One thing I'm trying to do is put together a list of things to avoid letting him eat (either by accident or purposely giving as a snack). I know there are a lot of weird things out there that, until I'd heard were toxic, I would've thought would be fine for dogs to eat.

I found this list as a starting point: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html

Onions and grapes were two that had surprised me.

So, I was curious, are there any things NOT on that list that have made your pups sick? Even if they're not necessarily "toxic", any suggestions of things to avoid? Or thing to very carefully moderate (like cheese and hot dogs and whatnot). Items to watch for in kibble ingredients would be appreciated too!

I thought I'd heard garlic was a problem too, can anyone confirm that?
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    anything with pseudoephedrine should also be avoided.
  • I wish those lists were clearer, because they don't always tell you how dangerous stuff is, and really, we do need to know that. Like if they eat a little milk chocolate, or something chocolate flavored, they will probably be fine, but baker's chocolate that is pure dark chocolate is very dangerous to dogs. (My dogs once ate a pound of good gourmet chocolate to no ill effects, except my great displeasure as they got the package from the FedEx guy before I could. Which doesn't mean it's safe, but just points out that regular chocolate can make them sick but won't kill them, but bakers chocolate can be very dangerous depending on the amount eaten and the size of the dog).

Apparently, for example, the artificial sweetner xylitol is VERY toxic to dogs, even in very small amounts, and can cause seizures. It would be useful to know that,rather than have all these lumped together.

Grapes are puzzling one to me too, because will grapes make a dog sick? Really poison them? I'd like to know how much to worry about on all these things (before I heard about the grape thing, I watched my best friend's GSD happily snack on the grapes in her yard. He still does it when he can reach them. He's never gotten sick). Or is it more likely they'll get sick from the concentrated effect of raisins? Or is it something we might not see right away?

Anyway, just something I'd like to see on these lists. What happens when a dog has ill effects (so we could know its from what they ate) and how dangerous and in what amounts all these things are.

As for cheese and hotdogs, lots of people use them as training treats, and as long as they don't upset the dog's stomach, they should be fine. Just remember to adjust the amount of regular food your dog gets if you use a lot of fattening training treats. My dogs get a fair amount of cheese (about a cheese stick a day) as treats and to hide their pills in.

One thing that wasn't on that list that I discovered that is scary is that there can be toxins (from a type of fungus) in compost that is very toxic to dogs. I know someone who lost a dog because of it,and another who got very ill. It's not common, but can happen, so keep dogs out of the compost pile if you have one.

Also gardening related, my dogs love to dig up bulbs and eat them, so I have to be super vigilant, because many bulbs can be toxic, esp. the fall crocuses.

eta: I think garlic is fine in small doses.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    From the House of the Fox Dogs blog
    Why it's Not About Dominance
    Bel's thread: the story of a puppy mill Shiba's life
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-09-06 13:26:44
  • AnnaAnna
    Thanks KibaInu! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that, as I am prone to sinus infections and real Sudafed is the only thing that helps. At least the medicine cabinet is way up high, haha.

Shibamistress: I agree! I wish there were a couple of clearly defined lists:

Normal Food that's toxic
    Human Medicines that are toxic (I mean, I'd just assume 'all' to be safe, but I know anti-histamines and benadryl can be used if necessary)
    Common Plants that are toxic

With associated breakdowns of How Toxic. It'd be hard because yeah, it varies depending on dog size/weight and some dogs seem resistant. Some things are toxic in small doses, others have to be ridiculous amounts, but still helpful to know. (Like with grapes... I think it's something in the skin, not the grape itself, and a GSD is so large he'd probably need to eat his weight in grapes to have an effect? I dunno). Same with alcohol; I know plenty of people who give their dogs the occasional "sip" of beer with no ill-effects.

Maybe at the first vet visit I'll ask about it. One the one hand it'd be nice to know in general, but on the other only the effects to small/medium dogs will affect me, since I'll only have the one Shiba.
  • My vet gave me a handout on our first visit of all the different plants that were toxic and non-toxic to dogs. Hopefully yours will have something also.
  • LosechLosech
    I'd found this huge database of toxic foods, plants and medicines that explained why a dog shouldn't eat them, but I can't for the life of me remember were it was! I really want to find it now.
  • @Losech....if you find it, I'd love to see it!Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • SayaSaya
    Cooked dog bones is a no no lot of butchers, dog stores will sell smoked bones and alot of time they're beef bones and plus being cooked can splinter teeth I've read.

kibble with menadoine avoid it. it's mostly in lower quality kibble it's a senthetic vitamin k or something like that they no longer have it for sale for humans due to issues or something. Positively causes cancer, but I dunno.

Read the labels if it doesn't look good then it might not be good..

Kibble with named meat, no unnamed by product.. by product is fine, but if it doesn't say what it is then it could be anything from just feathers and beaks or whatever. if it list turkey liver or chicken liver etc. then I think it's good.. Nature's variety instinct has chicken liver in it I believe..

Corn as a main ingredient is bad some dogs have allergic reaction to it some dogs are fine with it, but it makes poop pretty big and if it's on the top of ingredients then I don't think its good for the dog.

Saya ate chicken soup for puppy's lover soul when I first got her then wellness puppy food and then wellness core ocean as adult. She did good on all three kibbles.

Totw is decent kibble for it's price.

Careful with mushrooms they can be bad, some mulch can be bad if eaten especially cocoa mulch and rocks can be bad some dogs try to chew on them or play with them as pups.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • AnnaAnna
    FoxyLover: I hope so! If not, I'll ask. Or I can ask at the local shelter, they might have that sort of thing too. I am certified in pet CPR, so I've got the Dog First Aid book. I'll have to check and see if maybe they have a good list. (When I went it as mostly for my cat, so I didn't spend a lot of time flipping through the dog book outside of class)

Losech: I'd love to check that out too, if you remember where it was!

Saya: Cooked bones I remember from having a dog before were bad. But that's about the extent of it, haha. Our family dog was fed any and everything. Including cow's milk, which while not toxic, I'm pretty sure cats and dogs are not supposed to have, right? As it can make them sick or give them the runs?

I'm not too worried about kibbe. I've been reading enough here to have decided to avoid as many potential problems as possible, so I'm going with Taste of the Wild right off the bat. I'd rather just feed him higher quality food and never have to worry about grain allergies, haha. If he seems not to like it or doesn't do well on it, I'll try the other brands like Chicken Soup or Wellness that people here use a lot.

Mushrooms and compost are luckily things I won't have to worry about at home (I hate mushrooms and live in an apartment, so no backyard for composting), but I will keep an eye on him when I visit friends where he might get into either. Thanks! :D
  • Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs [oh duh, it's already listed in the link you gave].

My local emergency vet clinic keeps a blog that runs some interesting articles about items that are toxic to dogs.
    http://petsreferralcenter.wordpress.com/

Some recent articles:
    Antidepressants (sorted by level of toxicity)
    Certain types of raw fish
    Marijuana (yup, a big concern around here)
    Snail bait
    Top 10 toxic plants (with pictures and dosage info! so useful!)
    Baking dough

and I also like this one...
    15 toxins that are still toxins, but can be managed at home without a costly trip to the emergency vet
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-09-06 17:23:09
  • AnnaAnna
    Thanks Curlytails! I'm going to read all of them! :D
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Plant food (fertilizers) is toxic especially those that are synthetic. eg: Miracle Gro and others can kill a dog.
    犬竜
  • Curlytails post should be stickied! The pictures are a huge help when trying to determine which plants on the list are toxic. Thanks for sharing that.
  • Ooooh....those are good additions! I didn't know about macadamia nuts, and that's a good one for me to know, because when I'm eating Trader Joe's trail mix, I sometimes toss the dogs a nut or two, so I will make sure I look before doing it next time!

And good to know about the stuff that can be treated at home. Bel often tries to eat fire logs. (Why? They can't possibly taste good, but maybe they like the texture?) I've managed to catch her when she's done it, though.

Oh, and here's something I know from experience. Don't let them get into oatmeal. Once my dogs opened a cabinet where oatmeal was stored and ate a lot of it (like the equivelent of one of those big round Quaker oats containers). One Shiba and one GSD shared it, while I was away, maybe gone 4 hours. I came home to serious doggie diarrhea. Like all over the house. Apparently it works quickly.

One more thing, not a toxin, but something to be careful of. Two separate forum members have lost their Shibas when the dogs got their heads stuck in plastic bags (like chip bags or other food bags) and they couldn't get their heads out and they suffocated. Be super vigilant about what is around that Shibas can get at, off the counter, out of the trash, etc.Lisa and Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akitas) and Leo (Kai Ken)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-09-07 00:45:46
  • AnnaAnna
    Shibamistress: Thanks for the additional, non-toxin related suggestions! I'll definitely be going the uber-protective "he's tied to me or else he's in the crate" route, so hopefully that will limit his ability to find trouble. I'll definitely be sure to keep oatmeal out of the house! XD

But I'm in the process of scouring my apartment for things low to the ground and judging "do I care if a dog chews this? Will chewing this kill a dog?" and moving stuff around as necessary.
  • SayaSaya
    bags of kibble have same effect too, but coarse anything that's like a plastic bag or chip bag can..
    Photobucket
  • SayaSaya
    Bumping this since new members have joined plus spring being here and showers we get might bring mushrooms..

Be careful of mushrooms as some can be dangerous to dogs and some not as dangerous, but still good to avoid.

Toads and frogs is another avoid item especially in areas where cane toads are.. Any toad or frog really though can cause issue. Saya picked one up very briefly and spit it out right away. Luckily she was fine and I wiped her mouth when we got in the house.
    Photobucket
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Good bump ... for those in Florida remember that once rainy season hits (typically around late May) the Bufo Marinus (toad) also known cane toad, marine toad, giant toad, becomes a big issue especially if walking in the early morning before sunrise.

Here is a link to remind you about the real danger these can be to our pets here in Florida ... http://www.fondrenpetcare.com/bufo_toad.htm

I think this also can affect those in Texas in regards to the US and I believe Australia and the Caribbean also have to deal with these very dangerous toads.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-03-12 10:06:41
  • demarcostdemarcost
    @redcattoo - Thanks for the toad info! It is getting to be about that time. My level of paranoia and panic regarding the whole toad situation is fairly high. I live more toward Central Florida, in Tampa, so hopefully those are a little less common up here. We do have an in ground pool though, so, that doesn't help. Despite our best efforts our youngest boy Ronin got to a few last season. The first one was particularly bad - when he was given the "drop it" command he decided instead to shake it like a chew toy. It must have released something foul, because seconds later he dropped it and started coughing. We rinsed out his mouth immediately, but the trouble breathing and vomiting that followed had me practically in hysterics. Thankfully he didn't have any serious side effects beyond that. I though that, a smart as Shibas are, maybe he'd learn his lesson and stop hunting frogs and toads, but apparently they're just too good to resist.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @demarcost, I am so glad that he ended up okay. I know someone who last October (the other big season to see them) lost a dog to the toads. That dog was a very titled agility dog and the owner trains other agility students, so I know it wasn't for a lack of supervision or care for the dog.
  • amtiamti
    @shibamistress My son and I have gone to A&M's Vet Open House the last few years. One of the seminars we attended told us a few things that were poisonous to dogs and grapes/raisins were on that list. The vet said that it causes kidney failure in some dogs. And while not all dogs are affected, they do not know which ones are affected so they tell everyone to keep grapes/raisins away for safety purposes.
  • HaloHalo
    Potporri is also toxic to dogs and puppies, and even young children when they eat it.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    While going through my FB stuff I came across this link that I thought would be good to share here

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health/Alternate-Dog-Treats.aspx?extcmp=smd-ebiz-BL0002-fbwall
  • zeketazzeketaz
    These are toxic as well...in case link stops working it lists:

Water Hemlock/Spotted Parsley (Cicuta maculata)
    Mistletoe (Phoradendron flavescens)
    Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)
    Purple Nightshade (Atropa belladonna)
    Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
    Oleander (Nerium oleander)
    Larkspur (Delphinium consolida)
    Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)
    Poet's Narcissus (Narcissus poeticus)
    Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla)
    Lily-of-the-Valley (Convallaria majalis)

http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/a-dozen-of-the-deadliest-garden-plants-slideshow/
  • For specific signs and symptoms of eating some of those items, the only two I know anything about are grapes and onions...

I know with onions the main concern is that it can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. Here's an example with symptoms and everything: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1697286/

As for grapes, one or two won't cause a problem, but any more and it can cause renal failure.
    http://www.cvm.umn.edu/facts/petsafety/Grapes/index.htm
  • EsperchanEsperchan
    I know its a bit late, but easter lily. My mom used to work in a flower shop and a lady came in and said eating easter lily killed her cat. Don't know about dogs, but better safe than sorry.
  • My vet just said that easter lillies are a particularly toxic plant. Even a small amount can kill a cat or a small dog.

She said all bulbs were problematic, as well, in terms of flowers, easter lillies are one of the worst.
  • Actually so is lily of the valley (which was on that list from @zandrame). Even worse than easter lilies I believe. The dangerous thing about lily of the valley is that all parts of the plant are very toxic. Even the water in which you place a cut flower is enough to cause an adverse reaction.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Even the pollen from the Lily stamens is toxic.
    犬竜
  • Wow, didn't know that about the lillies! Good info!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    BUMP

There are now Peanut Butter companies that are starting to use Xylitol in their formulas! Here are some useful websites as well as the companies that are currently using the toxic ingredient in their peanut butter:

http://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/lesser-known-pet-toxicities-grape-raisin-and-currant-toxicity-in-dogs

http://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/is-peanut-butter-safe-for-dogs

UPDATE #3 (August 6, 2015):
    The list of peanut and nut butters containing xylitol that we have uncovered has now grown to FIVE!
    We have reached out to all of them to discuss this dog hazard and to secure increased awareness on their product packaging and websites. We will continue to keep you updated with progress. Here are the five companies (in alphabetical order):

(1) Go Nuts, Co.,
    (2) Hank's Protein Plus Peanut Butter,
    (3) Krush Nutrition,
    (4) Nuts 'N More, and
    (5) P28.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Thanks for the update @Kira_Kira ! Really appreciate this, and this is being sent out to all my friends!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Thanks for the update @Kira_Kira.
  • cpbealcpbeal
    I wasn't totally sure where to put this question, but where I'm worried about something he's eating, I thought "Toxic Items" would be the place!

Toma is four and a half months old, and recently he has gotten into the habit of picking up wild mushrooms and walking around with them outside. He doesn't usually eat them, but sometimes when I try to take it from him he will break off a piece and try to eat it before I can get it out. He's always had a few weird quirks when outside (he used to pick up a rock or stick to take with him to go to the bathroom, and he would leave it where he went after he was done), so I figured this was another strange habit. But I'm worried about him eating them. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Laika will do this, too, with the hydrangea and lillies in the yard, but only if I make a fuss about it. If I offer her a treat in barter she'll drop the flower and leave it, and she stays away from them entirely unless someone makes a fuss about her being near .. in which case it must be a game and she should definitely grab a flower and start running around the yard trying to eat it.

What a turd.

Anyway, try bartering for the mushroom instead of fussing over it. Might work easier. Also try teaching them a "leave it", works for most things unless there's a game afoot or something they REALLY want to eat.
  • rantosdadrantosdad
    There's an android app called 'APCC by ASPCA' that is pretty informative. It has a list of medications, foods, plants, cold/warm weather and household hazards and tells the severity of the substance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.propaganda3.aspca&hl=en
  • Shiro_PiShiro_Pi
    Are there any items that are "Shiba Specific"?

For example, (never tried, not 100% sure if it's true) Catnip usually acts as a sedative of sorts to dogs, but Shibas will get high like cats on them.

Are there any things Shiba owners should look out for that may be safe for other breeds?

Also, garlic is fine in small doses. Petvalu sells beef jerky that contains garlic and they LOVE it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)