For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Flying
  • lucylulucylu
    I have a trip booked to LA in November and I'd like to take Lucy with us. Airtran looks like it's only $69 each way. The thing I worry about is if the dog is making her "monkey sounds" and crying the entire time being in a small crate under the seat. That will not be an enjoyable flight for anyone on the plane. Has anyone traveled before and had problems? What can you do?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-22 15:57:07
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    i don't think i could fit mines in a crate that fits underneath an airplane seat. airplane seats also have varying widths...normally center seats have more space cause the window and aisle have rails that sort of cut it short.

Also the height is very tapered...starts out taller but gets shorter cause there's generally a life preserver stuffed underneath the person in front of you. i think it can get as low as 8 inch clearance on that...maybe more.

these measurements vary though depending on the aircraft so i'd check to see if there's already airplane-ready on-cabin crates and see if your pup can fit comfortably in those...otherwise i don't think on-cabin will be an option.
  • lucylulucylu
    The crate dimensions they require are 8.5 high x 17 long x 12 wide. hmm, maybe this isn't big enough for her. I haven't measured her, but she's 16 pounds. Figured she could lay down for the flight, though.
  • I was going to fly with Neo in-cabin when I took a trip to SC recently, even bought a carrier and all. But he had a growth spurt and didn't fit in the carrier anymore! He was only 4 months at the time, but he's tall and was taller than the under the seat requirements. Be sure to get Lucy accustomed to the carrier she would be flying in as well, if she isn't already.

I had to buy a kennel for him to fly in the baggage area. I was very leery about having him fly that way, hearing all those horror stories about how they either escape or worse. I flew American Airlines and they assured me that the area was climate controlled, around 50-70 degrees F. I of course was still a nervous wreck about the whole thing. It's a bit pricier flying in the baggage area, it was $175 one way, almost as much a regular ticket! The only good thing that kept my nerves a bit calm was that it was only an hour and 10 minute flight.

I do suggest if you decide to fly with your dog, that you get to the airport a bit earlier than you would normally if you were going w/out dog, especially if it's near the holidays. Make sure to bring a health certificate (or any other documents, i.e. any type of medication your dog might be on) from your vet that has been dated as close to your travel date as possible, some airlines require that it has to be within 10 days of travel. I read some airlines don't require one if you're bringing the dog in-cabin, but it's always good to have it in case they do ask, don't want to be turned down because you didn't have that document! Also any extra old towels or blankets, in case she has an accident during the flight, and wipes too would help. I gave Neo a Benadryl an hour before my flight, just to try to keep him calm (it was his first flight). Not sure if it worked, I know it definitely didn't work on the flight to SC, because he did have an accident in his crate. On the flight back, he was fine. :) If you decide that you need to fly her in the baggage area, you can always ask the baggage people, the ones that work with the over-sized luggage that you can't put in the over head compartments, to confirm that your dog has boarded on the plane. I asked them and the flight attendants to check that my dog was on the plane.

Hope that helped some.
  • Honestly, I highly doubt a shiba inu would be able to fit in a space that small...maybe if she curled up in a tiny ball, but then she wouldn't be able to move or lift her head or anything. My Shiba is a puppy, she weights 19 lbs and stands at about 16 inches tall. Our carrier for our kitten is smaller than the crate dimensions required for an airline and our Shiba wouldn't even have a chance of fitting in there. Plus, if you're concerned about her crying, she'll probably really freak out if she's in such a small space. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you could do to remedy that either I don't think, considering the airlines require animals to be kept in a crate that is kept under the seat for the entire flight. I wouldn't recommend taking her in-cabin; as you said, it wouldn't be an enjoyable flight for anyone.

I do hope you find an option, though! Good luck! :)
    signature
  • sunyatasunyata
    Remember, that dogs must be able to STAND, LAY DOWN, and TURN AROUND comfortably in a crate.

A 16 pound Shiba will not be able to do this in a crate that is 8.5" high.

If you want to take her with you, you will have to take her as checked baggage. This can be an additional expense (some airlines charge as much as $400 for a pet). There are also restrictions on when they can fly (air temperatures, etc.). Check with your airline about their pet policies for checked pets.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-04 10:45:39
  • If she fits in a carrier that is airline certified, then you can bring her on the flight. Bringing her on the flight is much cheaper than checking her in as cargo (usually $150). Try to give her some anti-anxiety treats that are primarily used for traveling. If the flight is just for a few hours I dont think it will be a problem. Btw, you have to contact the airline ahead of time because there is a legal amount of animals that they can bring on the plane for heath reasons.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    The airlines mandate that the animal MUST be able to STAND in the space provided and have head clearance if taking the pet on board. Unless it is a young Shiba puppy or something smaller than a cat, or a service animal, they won't be allowed on board and will have to be checked. When I was booking airfare recently, they also cautioned me against providing a sedative, which was opposite of what I thought they would recomend. I guess it screws with their perceptions and they can really wig out and be disoriented, overheat, etc.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I flew delta and this woman and two (smaller) sized white dogs (unsure of the breed). They didn't have crates and were just on a lease, and it was a flight from SF to Minnesota. I am sure they weren't service dogs thoughBenny Bear. Shiba Inu year and a half old living in Tempe, AZ
  • sunyatasunyata
    @kimchishiba - A crate that is airline certified is just certified to fly. Most plastic crates are airline certified, regardless of size. In order to take a dog on as carry-on, the crate has to be a specific size in order to fit under the seat. Airlines also mandate that in any travel situation (checked or carry-on), a dog must be able to stand, lay down, and turn around comfortably in the crate, not just fit. They will check this before allowing the animal to board. Also, sedatives are not recommended for dogs that will fly. This has a lot to do with pressure changes and breathing rates. Giving a dog that will is boarding an airplane a sedative could result in death.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Let me tell you the horrible story that happened to my partner and myself when we bought Akio in NY after my partner's dad's funeral. We bought Akio a few days earlier and had everything in order the night before we were leaving and he at the time was just under 4 months old weighing something like 9lbs. We called the airlines even before getting Akio. We made sure we did everything right to make the flight as simple as possible. I sat on the phone with someone from the airline for over and hour while he was finding information about my flight and weather that particular flight had room for a dog on board. The flights are only allowed something like 2 dogs as carry ons for the whole flight. We bought the soft kennel that is airline approved and even arrived at JFK airport 3 hours early in fear that something would go wrong and sure enough it did. They claimed Akio was too big to go under a seat and his bag was too small. They told me I was being cruel having him in such a small bag and I would NEVER put my dog some place I didn't feel he was safe or comfortable. He could stand up and turn around which is what they require, but apparently that includes head. If there head is touching the top of the bag weather they can turn around or not it's apparently too small. I carried my dog around on my shoulder in his bag for 2 and 1/2 hours trying to figure out what to do. We were told we were going to miss our flight and would have to rebook, The ladies at the ticket counter thought the lady who has to check pets was being ridiculous and everyone was trying to help us. We went to EVERY terminal at JFK airport looking for a hard kennel that Airline A said Airline C had and that Airline E said Airline B had. It was a giant run around and eventually my partner with 45 mins before our plane arrived grabbed a taxi and the hauled butt to Petco since it was the closest to buy a 100 Kennel we didn't need and a bed for it just so we could pay another 240 to put him under the plane which I was horrified about and now that I think about it is probably why my dog is traumatized of life >_< However he didn't show any signs until a month or so later. Anyways I took myself and Akio and all our luggage back to our terminal and waited. My partner made it back 15 mins before the plane arrived and we still had to take the kennel and puppy to a security clearance room where they searched the kennel and dog. THANKFULLY there were two people ahead of us when we finally when through security ourselves and just barley made our flight. The lady tried being a bitch and saying that the kennel we bought for under the plane was too big. -.- I seriously could have killed that woman that day. Akio ended up being the biggest pain in the arse and most expensive puppy we ever bought. However we had no local breeders I could find any information on in Florida and we both were from NY with a lot of family which is why we decided to get our shiba there. Never again though. >_< I would rather rent a vehicle than ever fly with my dog again. "/
    Post edited by Akio111410 at 2011-09-05 13:19:49
  • CandyCandy
    How was the puppy after you retrieved him at the end of your flight? I have contemplated wether to bring my dog on a plane in the future or not :l
  • DjinnDjinn
    We originally planned to move from Japan back to Australia in a few years with the dogs, it seemed fine before we had them. Now, the thought of taking them on a 12 hour flight terrifies me. I think we're just going to have to stay in Japan as long as they live 0.o
  • SayaSaya
    Sorry for the bad flight issue. :(

I know there is a shiba blogger in California who flies with their shiba no issue.
    The shiba is an adult too she is bit smaller, but I dunno her exact size.
    http://www.tokyoshiba.com/2011/12/flying-shiba-friendly-skies.html

Probably was at wrong place and wrong time and got wrong person to deal with. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    She flies with her dog all the time, I met Tokyo at one of the SoCal meet ups, she's about 2in shorter than a typical female shiba. I'm guessing she just lays in her carrier and sleeps, I doubt she's done a 12hr flight though...

@djinn I'm sorry to hear, but maybe you can try doing short flights from one part of Japan to another? Get them accustomed to flying and being under the seat, see how they take a liking to it, reward them every few minutes and go from there.
  • @djinn, They can do it. Under the seat seems ideal, but even a nice, comfy crate in cargo will be okay. It does help if they're crate trained and socialized to loud noises and hubbub. You'd be surprised how resilient they are. Bowdu has made the trip from Taipei to Vancouver to Toronto to Detroit. It was certainly an ordeal, but it was with the full knowledge that we were bringing him to a better life and NOT leaving him behind, as many told us we should have done. I've also done rescue transport for dogs on trans-Pacific flights. Most don't even soil their crates! Though some, of course, just can't help themselves...

Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • RyanRyan
    Both of mine have flown as "checked baggage". In Australia, most planes will have two spots for crates in a climate controlled area.
    Bella did a 3hr flight, plus an hour each end, so 5hrs all up? She was a little shell shocked, but was okay. She was taken out of the crate as soon as we got her in the car. Leashed her and walked her.
    6months old at the time.

Suki flew down to us from NSW, I didn't take him out of his crate until I got home, he was fine.

Both of mine are fantastic in the car, Bella knows where her spot is and curls up there every time. Did this from the day she came home. Also did a few trips on a steam train to get her used to different types of travel.

I wouldn't stress, use a solid crate, and get them used to it now.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Thought I'd add a few pictures to show how the rescue group I worked with prepped their crates for a trans-Pacific flight (~12 hours). I was pretty impressed... they are very efficient.

Here's one dog getting weighed in at the airport (they were just getting a weight, so she's still on leash -- those are not left on during the flight):

Mio

The spigot/rodent-style water dispenser was neat, and cheap -- I hadn't seen those before. It gives the dog access to water but keeps the crate clean. I liked the soft crate pads they provided. [Added: they put absorbent pads underneath the crate pad just in case there was a pee emergency. The majority of dogs won't have an issue though.] They also had an extra leash and collar zip-tied to the crate (a gift for the adopter, also a good backup).

Preparing the crates

Each dog's identifying and medical information was taped right onto the top of the crate. Emergency contact, too. This was both for the adopters and in the off chance that they get separated or lost.

Securing the crates

Zip ties provided an easy way to secure crates and other accessories. They did bring tools to snip off the loose ends.

I know it helped for me to see how others prepared, especially when there was no choice except to fly cargo.

Final step: Oversized luggage inspection area
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-11-26 19:51:29
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks for the pictures very helpful.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Moshi flew as my checked luggage, it was a 3.5 hour flight (including half-hour stopover), I checked him in one and a half hours prior to the flight and collected him from the freight area about an hour after the plane landed. I put the crate straight into the car (it was dark when I arrived and I was too terrified to get him out of the crate until I got him home, in case he ran off into the dark).Total 6.5 hours in his crate. I would do it again, if I had to.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    This thread has been super helpful. I'm planning on flying with Ozzy in late July. I'm probably way overthinking everything but I want to be as prepared as possible and make sure I'm not missing anything, so if anyone has additional tips for checking a pup on a plane, let me know!

I'm wondering if I should get one of those hamster style water dispensers for his crate, or maybe put ice in a crate bowl that he can lap up as it melts or something..? Don't want the bowl to be loose or anything in case of turbulence tho... His crate has a compartment on top to put some stuff in like extra leash, food portions in case of delay, etc, but the flight is 7-ish hours so it would be ideal if he had access to water...

Would something like a thunder shirt be wholly unnecessary?? Ozzy isn't really anxious, though maybe a bit of separation anxiety. And I imagine an experience like this would create stress for any dog, especially when it's their first time. My parents have a thunder shirt they could mail me (gifted for their poodle but it's too big for her, size medium). But do you think it would be useful or just make him more uncomfortable / hot? I'm planning on trying to take a red eye flight so it won't be too hot (airlines also won't fly animals of its 85+ in place of departure or arrival). Ozzy definitely doesn't like to be alone, and it'll be such a new experience for him, I want to make him as comfy as possible. Will include a blanket / towel of familiar smells or maybe one of my shirts in the crate with him. If thunder shirt would help him feel more secure (with introduction training beforehand), it's free to me so no reason not too except of it would just make him more uncomfortable being in clothing, and I don't know how hot the material is or anything...

Any additional tips are so appreciated! I've flown by myself a few times, but never with a pet being checked on the plane. D:
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    If possible, see if the airlines will let you bring Ozzy in the cabin with you. I'm sure Ozzy would be much happier that way and it would give you way more peace of mind.

I flew with Ponyo at 4 orm5 months old and it was a 6 hour flight and she held her potty for about 9 hours because she refused to potty in the service dog area. She was silent and slept the whole time, we didn't even need to drug her.

The baggage area tends to be cold, so I don't think Ozzy would be hot when actually in the air, but I would worry about the loading and unloading. You also never know what new thing will trigger a negative reaction :-/
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @imBLASIAN - But if he was in the cabin, wouldn't he have to be in the tiny under seat crate?? I thought they were bigger in my mind, so I attempted to try them out at a pet store but there's no way he would be comfortable for 7 hours in a tiny crate. I would way prefer him to be in the cabin with me but figured that wasn't an option.

For sure wouldn't want to use the thunder shirt if he didn't have time to become used to it or if he was more anxious wearing it or something. I think my parents are going to send me theirs anyway since it doesn't fit the poodle. So I'll still try to get him used to it and introduce it slowly in case it could be useful in the future, even if I don't use it on the flight. Who knows how he's gonna react to fireworks and thunderstorms lol, I live in a small town desert and he's so far never experienced either.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Lilikoi - Thundershirts are not meant for extended use. They should be used for short sessions (such as thunder storms). They should not be left on the dog for extended periods of time, especially if the dog is unable to be supervised.

An adult Shiba will not be able to be flown in the cabin, you will have to fly him as cargo. That being said, depending on where you are flying out of and in to, he may not be able to be flown as cargo due to temperatures. Many airlines will refuse to fly pets during summer months due to the heat. I would check into that first.

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @sunyata - ok. 7 hours would def be a pretty long time in that case. On the packaging it lists scenarios where it might be helpful and air travel is one of them, but being unsupervised and for 7 hours sounds like it would be too long. Although when I lived near Houston we definitely had thunderstorms for welllll beyond that length of time ha. Poor pups.

I mentioned in my first comment that they don't fly pets if the temp is over 85 in destination or city of departure, so I'm trying to find a nighttime flight.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-06-08 10:39:55
  • I'm still really new here so I hope I'm not butting in but is it absolutely necessary to bring him with you? I don't mean that in a rude way, just curious. Maybe a nice boarding place would be a better option? I know not everyone has those within a reasonable distance though.

I've just heard so many bad things about air cargo travel :( I don't think I could ever risk it.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Lilikoi - Yea, Ozzy would need to be able to stand and turn around while in the bag.
    Probably at this point, he would only be allowed in the cabin if he was a emotional support or service animal.

You could put a couple of frozen kongs with food/liquid for snacks/entertainment. The ice might end up spilling everywhere and melting anyway even if you put it in a bowl.

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    I was wondering the same thing as @JodiThibeault. I am not trying to be rude either-just wondered if there were other options. Is it at all possible to leave him with a trusted pet sitter?
  • episyrepisyr
    For pet air travel, you'd be looking at 3 main options:

1) In Cabin - if your pet is small enough to stand in its container under the seat
    2) As Checked Baggage - your pet would fly in the same plane as yourself, but in the checked baggage compartment at the back (Delta does not allow this between May 15-Sept 15 or at temperatures higher than 85F)
    3) As Cargo - you drop your pet off at the airline cargo facility and then pick it up from the cargo facility at your destination

So for an adult Shiba to travel by air in July, Delta and United would direct you to cargo anyway, although other smaller companies might have different policies.

Another option would be to register the pet as an Emotional Support Animal so that it could travel in the cabin on your lap. A lot of people take advantage of this option in order to bring larger animals into the cabin, but it is what it is. I once had a girl sit next to me on the plane with a mid-sized Thai Bangkaew mix on her lap, the dog never made a sound during the flight and no one had a problem with it.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    If he didn't come along, I wouldn't go at all. I honestly don't think I would ever board him. All the places (which are about 5 hours away from me anyway) have really bad reputations.

I don't have a great deal of friends here, and none of them place much value on animals. Even my bf (who might be traveling at the same time anyway) is notoriously absentminded and irresponsible with pets, and that would be my best option for leaving him behind. D: I've considered just driving cross country if that would be easier, and it took a long time to convince me to even participate in this family reunion thing cus I won't sacrifice Ozzy's wellness... His biggest problem would be being separated from me and being alone. On the plane he would be alone for 6-7 hours. He would have to be alone that amount every day for 2 weeks if left behind.

Ultimately, he's a member of my family. If I were a parent, I wouldn't leave my child behind with people I don't trust. He's included in all of my adventures. I don't think it's a rude suggestion at all, and a valid option in some cases. But in my situation, definitely more frightening to consider what he would have to go through for 2 weeks of separation as opposed to a short night on an airplane.

Edit - I looked into mostly delta, United, and American Airlines, and preferred AA's way of having them as checked baggage on the same plane, while delta opts for cargo on a separate plane that might end up making the trip even longer than necessary.

I've considered having him registered as an emotional support animal for a while... But I prefer to keep my experience with that private, and I wouldn't have him ESA registered just to take advantage of the system for air travel. So that's a possibility but not until I have a more professional opinion.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-06-08 16:05:34
  • Understood! Sounds like you're trying everything possible to do what will work best for Ozzy.

I am rather spoiled here as I have a really great relationship with my vet where there is also a boarding facility and I have grilled them on how they function and am very pleased.

I 100% agree with not leaving him with someone you don't know at all, I wouldn't be able to do that either! As you said, they are family! Sorry to hear that your bf and friends are so irresponsible around animals :( That makes everything a lot harder.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I am sorry there is not anyone trustworthy to watch Ozzy while you are gone. I totally understand as there is only one person whom I would trust with my Quakey. For me it's not that others are irresponsible-it's that they are not accustomed to Quakey's personality. They remark on how well trained and wonderful he is; but they wouldn't know what to do if he turned Shiba rascal on them!! LOL! I hope that your flight with Ozzy goes smoothly.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Thanks, I definitely hope everything goes smoothly and he doesn't have too terrible of an experience too. Hopefully he'll be able to sleep during the night on the airplane.

My bf has gotten better, and I feel like I can trust him while I'm supervising him. Part of caring for Ozzy is teaching my bf the responsibilities of being a pet owner; his only experiences with pets were family pets that were ultimately neglected and ignored. :( thankfully he sees the importance and how rewarding it is to work with an animal now. It's great to see the transformation, but he can still be very absentminded and needs constant reminders and guidance lol. He's got good intentions, but I wouldn't trust him with Ozzy at this point.

People always remark at how well Ozzy is trained too, but I think he would totally rule them if he was in their care haha. I wish I had more animal conscious friends.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    People always remark at how well Ozzy is trained too, but I think he would totally rule them if he was in their care haha

Yes, that is my feeling with Quakey. He would quickly rule most of my friends with one exception!

I am glad your bf has gotten better. It takes some time to learn how to care for a Shiba.
  • @lilikoi I saw these and thought of you! https://www.pettravelstore.com/pages/Waterbites-Pet-Crate-Water.html I don't know if they are any good, but maybe something to ask your vet about? If it's safe it would be great to use in the crate instead of ice cubes.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @JodiThibeault - cool! Those look interesting. Probably better than ice. They do seem kind of odd but I'll look into em, thanks!
  • They remind me of the gel that you can get for lizards and the crickets that you feed to lizards. I don't know what it's made of though, maybe just a little bit of gelatin?
  • WangeWange
    Have anyone flight with their Shiba transatlantic, round trip?

I am going on vacation for 3 weeks in France and Spain next September, from LAX. Direct fly means 11-13 hours in crate for Waffle. He will be 8 months by then, and i don't think i will be able to flight in-cabin with him. I would love to have him with me and show him France and Spain, but i am still wary to make him go through 2 x 11 hours flight within 3 weeks. Is it too much stress for them? Should i board him instead?

I read about a bunch of people experience having their dog fly a 12 hours flight. But no one really mentioned the duration of their trip, nor the flight back...
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Do you know whether he can even fly to another country without having to go through a quarantine process?? Many European countries are completely rabies free, and are very careful about what animals they let into their country in order to keep it that way. So, sometimes they'll require that an animal flying in from a country that's does have rabies (like the USA) has to stay in quarantine until it's positive that they didn't bring / won't develop rabies (like if they aren't yet showing symptoms when they arrive). Sometimes this can last up to like 2 weeks. So when traveling overseas, it's often not worth it to bring the pup along when they would have to endure so much. But rules differ between countries, I think... Either way, I expect the rules to be pretty strict and stressful for a dog to comply with.
  • WangeWange
    Just need to be microchipped, up to date for rabies vaccination, health certificate and at least 4 months old. Then to travel inside the EU, you need to have a certified vet to deliver a EU passport for your pet.
    Only non companion pets (like monkey) are put in quarantine in France anyway.

From what i read on this website (http://www.dogjaunt.com), they sound to travel flight in-cabin to Europe pretty easily.
    My concern is that he might be too big to travel in-cabin, and in that case, is it worth it to make him travel as checked luggage?
  • JuniJuni
    I think he will be too big for the cabine so he will have to be checked in luggage.

To me, that alone would stop me from bringing him.

France and Spain can be quite hot in September, depending on where you'll go. How will you travel once in Europe, by car or trains, buses? Have you checked out any dog friendly hotels?
    These are dog friendly countries in general so I think it is easy to bring your dog to bars and restaurants but not sure about public transport. But there are also quite a lot of off leash dogs that you will have to deal with.

There are some health issues to consider too. You will need to protect your dog from leischmania, babesios, erlichia and alvoelar echinococcus and possibly some more.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ooh cool! I was worried I'd never be able to travel to Europe again now that I have my pup. xP awesome news.

Hmm I think a lot depends on the plans for your trip, too. If you'll be going from one place to another constantly, if you'll be going to a lot of attractions / places that you wouldn't be able to bring a dog (or would be too busy to focus enough attention on a dog), etc. I have plans this summer to visit Florida for a couple of weeks, and we would be spending a few days at Disney world, and the rest at a beach cabin. I usually bring Ozzy with me on trips... but I'm not planning on taking him to this one. Even just a few days that he would have to spend alone while we all go to Disney does not seem worth it, despite how great it would be to have him at the beach for the rest of the trip. Though we might end up going on a different summer trip that he would definitely come along for. It depends on the destination and plans.
  • WangeWange
    I came across this blog during one of my research session http://thetropicaldog.com/en/travels-with-a-dog/. She travels with a "big" dog.

"I have been traveling with Shark for more than a year now: from the Indian ocean to North Africa, then Europe and finally South America. During this year, my dog and I traveled together on 9 flights: 3 national flights (1-2 hours each), 4 international flights (3-4 hours each) and 2 intercontinental flights (12 hours each). So yes, I have some experience in traveling with a dog by air".

I don't plan to stay in the big cities and more of hiking and discovering the country side. So my Shiba will fit perfectly in my plans. I am just very wary about putting him through 2x13 hours in such a short time period.
    Post edited by Wange at 2017-03-26 19:54:34
  • JuniJuni
    Have you checked the price for airline transport yet? My guess it will at least be the price of an additional ticket.
    In smaller towns and villages I think it may be harder to find dog friendly accommodation too.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    He may be too big to fit in the cabin, but in case he's still like <20lbs by then, the size xl sturdibag is probably the largest regularly accepted bag I've come across. It is a few inches taller than the required height for in cabin pet crates, but it compresses and is usually allowed on flights. I have one that I have used once, and Ozzy loves it for some reason. :)) if I leave it out and unzipped, he will regularly relax and sleep in it. <br />
    I've seen a couple of bags that are a shorter height, but have expandable / unzippable sides on to allow more space for the dog while in flight, but I've never tried one of these... I think they would be too short to allow a shiba sized dog to stand up and turn around.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-03-28 03:32:15

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)