For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
start a college meet up group?
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    Today for my 3rd day of class people from SGA came in talking about making college groups or joining because it looks great on a resume. I thougt it was intriguing because I wondered how many other dog fanciers on in my school so they handed us a packet on how to start a group and everything is funded by SGA. I figured the name "wings for Bella" was good because I want to use that to educate the public and other students about buying that cute puppy in the window and other things along that line...thing is what if it's a complete fail or what if I don't know of any other activities to come up with besides doing fund raisers at the YSPCA or helping them with the dogs? any advice?
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-09-21 00:59:47
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    That sounds like a great idea! You can also partner with various rescue organizations and see how your group can help them out... But the biggest input would be educating the public on puppy mills, BYBs, online brokers and puppy store horrors.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    yeah that's what I plan on doing and since my dog Bella died as a result of being a BYB puppy at the age of 7, its to help bring awareness to all those brokers and stuff because most people aren't that well educated and others get too sensitive when you try to educate them. And this is why I came up with the name wings for bella, it represents her angel wings that she received on the time of her passing. The only issue is that I wouldn't know where to start =/
  • ZinjaZinja
    I am currently in the process of making an official parkour club in UF. I already brought my case to the sports clubs and an currently waiting for am answer.

I recommend you start a facebook group and have friends join... Help out with the community and make it a service club. With the positive exposure, your school will take notice and help your cause. Pet stores will not mind you educating people at their stores. I'm friends with the animal behavior prof that helped me with Sasuke, and I'm sure they would help me with an animal club like yours if I wanted.

My friends and I just made a cooking club that formed via facebook. We meet up once a month and teach each other. We get more and more people each meeting. We are currently talking to restaurants to see if they can donate items or tips.
  • Pet stores might mind if they actually sell dogs at their stores. Your message would cut into their profit margin. Pet stores that do not sell dogs, however, would probably be just fine with you being there.

Also, facebook is a great idea.http://obeytheshiba.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/OBEYZIM
    http://packlove.com/zim
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    i did make a group on facebook called against puppy mills and i added rodel shibas to it but right now its a really small group and what i meant by pet stores was stores that actually sell puppies...I didn't plan on going to stores themselves and protest educate people so I can avoid the conflict but I did plan on educating fellow students about the risk(s) that are involved...hmmm I should discuss this further with SGA I think it would be an excellent group =)
  • ZinjaZinja
    Of course discretion is needed when choosing stores.

I was just thinking of flyers and posters. Most reputable stores only offer rescue dogs and has rescue organizations participating in events. Holistic dog food stores are what comes to mind for events. They are typically locally owned and more willing to help the community.
    Post edited by Zinja at 2011-08-30 23:47:13
  • You could start a meetup group that supports an existing rescue. It could be "wings for Bella in support of _________". Working with a rescue can be rewarding--and sometimes frustrating. You will need to define your group's roles, responsibilities, tasks, capabilities, and limitations.
  • ZinjaZinja
    ^^ I like it.
  • AnnaAnna
    I'd second Sukoshi's Mom's suggestion.

I think it's very nice that you want to form a group in memory of your dog to prevent someone else going through the same thing, but I worry that when other students see "Wings for Bella" on a list of student clubs they won't have any idea what it means or what it's for and will skip it over (or worse, given the popularity right now, they might think it's something to do with Twilight :/). I speak from experience here; when I was in college I was in a student club targeted at students of a particular major. Our group name didn't make that clear, though, and in 3 years very few new people joined. The ones that did were mostly just friends of current members (and not even in the major the group was targeted at).

Adding an existing rescue will help clarify what your purpose is at first glance and will also give you a resource to help you with your club. They could give you information or help plan events or hook you up with people to come in and speak to your group, etc.
  • yeah i think you guys are right...i think i may just try to go through with the SPCA once I am able to get my own car and just re-volunteer with them and do fund raisers with them or something and @ anna I think when college kids see wings for bella they would probably take it as oohhh she has buffalo wings or somethin along that line LOL majority college kids are so narrow minded -_-

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)