For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • ncieloncielo
    I've seen some post about antler chews but I thought I'd ask for reviews and experiences on this discussion. My Niko has a very strongwill and like most shibas I would expect, he will chew for hours so I thought the elk antlers would be perfect for him. I've seen some posts however showing that once they get smaller its probably a given that Niko will still be excited about it and accidently put the whole thing in his mouth and choke. It's a risk but its also something natural that I know will last forever and something he will love. Advice? Niko hates rawhide, biscuit bones basically anything but real bone and he's already been choking on the safe bones I gave him.
  • AsterixAsterix
    I've gotten Chibi a couple of these, and he seems to love them. They last and don't splinter or break (although Chibi's a puppy, so he doesn't destroy chew toys that quickly yet).

If you're worried about them becoming a choking hazard, get longer ones and monitor him with them. The ones I have are longer and skinnier than these - there's no way he could fit the whole thing in his mouth.
  • MikachuMikachu
    I love these my pup has had them one for a few days now and she's been at it for hours at a time and no wear on the antler yet and I heard it takes a long time for them to wear which is comforting. The version for the puppies are not a full one but a 5 inch split antler. The associate at the store told us they just came in a few days ago, I love that it's natural and no elk or deer are harmed because it's their sheds.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    i've tried AntlerZ brand. Hiro chews on it somtimes but hasn't made a dent in it. O_o
  • I give them to my dogs. I don't know what brand they are....I got them from Clean Run.

My dogs aren't that into them. They chew them for awhile, then lose interest. But I dont mind because other things they eat up right away, so I can hide these for awhile, then bring them out again, and they are newly excited for an hour or so. Even my Akita does not seem to do much damage to them, so they are pretty good for hard chewers.
  • zoezoezoezoe
    I also have the Antlerz brand. It took Zoey about one month to make a dent in it and soon thereafter she already chewed up about half of it (size medium). She also has deer antlers but she hasn't broken through yet.
  • SayaSaya
    I've gotten antlerz before the two dogs like them, then gotten some antlers from my local pet store dogs coarse liked those which was good since Bella's became to small for her.

I also gotten some antlers when we were up in WI.

I'll have to post pictures of the pet store one I got and the one I got from WI.

I got big long kinds so it last both dogs a bit better. I'll put peanut butter on the edge of the antler if the dogs get bored with them then they lick a bit and start gnawing away.

Just take away once it gets too small.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)