For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What does it mean when your shiba keeps staring at you?
  • euphaireeuphaire
    Another quick question.
    A lot of the times when my shiba is lying down, he would stare at me for a very, very long time. With his leaf-shaped eyes he kinda looks like this......
    Photobucket

Oops, sorry about the huge size :/

Looks kinda grudging......what could he be trying to 'say' by staring at me like that? He has had enough water, food, chew, walks, and play.
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-09-21 01:20:35
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    Creepy. He looks like he's saying "Maybe you should think twice about falling asleep tonight."

But seriously. Dog breeding has selected for dogs that pay attention to humans - looking for clues about how to behave. He's watching you because you are the most important thing going on.
  • LosechLosech
    Heh, that could mean anything! But the most common meanings for Conker are: "Better give me some of that food or I'll bark at you." or "I'm really really bored."
  • AW haha, i like your visual. my dog does it when he's hungry - to my parents. to me when he is bored.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • PupChowPupChow
    I can relate since I am on the receiving end of that stare from time to time as well! Not knowing what it means and don't want to be the first to break eye-contact, it usually becomes a minute long awkward staring contest... Mac's Action Adventure Stories
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Shiba mind control at work!

I would be worried if my dog began to look like him (Rasputin).

Photobucket
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2011-08-25 21:07:34
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Did you ask him what he wants? Usually they will tell you or lead you to the direction of what it is. Around here Shiba zen usually means wants snacks or someone has to go "outties" or possibly I forgot to give them meds, walk, dinner or whatever. Mine make great watch dogs.....they go by an internal watch and usually they aren't wrong either. : )

Snf
  • Max does this, and will also paw at me as I stare back and call him a loop job. It always means he wants something whether it be fresh water, a snack, or most commonly to be let outside. I have been awakened many a morning with him standing over me in the bed staring down at me and waving his paw across my head looking frustrated that he still hasn't fully trained me.
  • Shiba mind control indeed! Yep, with mine it's always something, and if I say what do you want and start guessing, we'll be able to figure it out. Usually the stare proceeds pawing at the door. Or staring at me and then at the treat jar. Or something like that. They stare when they want something...your job is to figure out what! :lol:

And there's really never enough food for my shibas! :lol:
  • SayaSaya
    Saya stares at me or Bella when she wants to play if I keep staring back she'll bark at me or if Bella won't play she'll bark loudly.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • catloreecatloree
    Haha, I like your visualization. Elwood usually stares at me like that when he wants to go out for a walk or just wants me to pay attention to him. I have to agree with the Shiba mind control comments because it certainly works for Elwood!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • ncieloncielo
    Niko does this all the time. I talk back to him too asking him what's the problem and just calling him weird.
    Niko doesn't really socialize at all I just noticed, its just him and my cat and sometimes on occasion my sisters dogs or my uncles but its mainly humans. He pays a serious amount of attention to peoples eyes. Maybe its like Koni B. says
  • bobc33bobc33
    Huuummm, I'm not sure what it means. Scout does this frequently, though Shadow hardly ever.

Photobucket
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    LOL, I was just thinking about this this morning. Kishi stares at me like that in the mornings for such long periods of time.
  • haha, we call it "the look". Signey knows enough trigger words now so that if i ask her what she wants, she'll let me know.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Can we please go home now?
  • hahaha that picture had me cracking up
  • LOL my older shiba xavier does this a lot. It actually gets kind of creepy. I wake up to him staring at me or if hes in the bedroom while Im getting ready, he actually looks at me through the big body mirror... that's really scary lol. Does anybody else's shibas stare at them through mirrors??
    Shiba Mom of Two (Xavier 1 1/2 red male) & Argo ( 6 month red male)
    Post edited by jherb415 at 2013-02-15 03:23:38
  • tatonkatatonka
    Usually I'm the first to look away.
    Monkey!
  • "Please take me for a walk. Please please please. Backyard is boring."
  • TinkieTinkie
    Kuro does this too! I think he does it when he wants treats or something great to eat. image
  • amtiamti
    Lol!!! I usually get those eyes from Kaji a lot while I'm at the computer. There is usually a little fire ball in the back of his eyes telling me he wants to play. The toy he has in his mouth or next to his feet is a dead giveaway too. This morning I woke up to him staring at me while I was in bed. I asked him if he wanted outside and he ran, so it is his way of telling me he wants something. There are times when we are just sitting the dogs will do that too, and they just are telling me they love me. <3 <br />

I think....

I hope.

Yea, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it!
  • MikoMiko
    Lol for me if were in the kitchen its usually food. In the bedroom/living room he wants me to pet/scratch him or play. When were not home, its usually a stare to tell me hes ready to go home lol. It's funny how our location determines what he wants.
  • RikkaRikka
    Haha, amusing thread. Obviously they're staring at you because of your devilish good looks. :P

I only notice Sagan staring at me when he has a toy in his mouth ("play with me!"). Other than that, he normally minds his own business.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • TinkieTinkie
    Oh seriously, ome of these days I'm going to take a picture of Kuro when he's lying on his back upside down and stares at me. That looks so insanely funny and strange.
  • SayaSaya
    It's the shiba mind control! :D
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Mine does it only when he wants something. For us, it is also a sign that he may want to go do his business. If we walk toward him he'll "lead" us somewhere, usually to the backdoor; sometimes though, it's the counter where we keep his treats! haha
  • EthosEthos
    He wants to go outside..
  • zazazaza
    When me and Kasha are out walking she will often look up and stare at me and if I look back at her long enough she will jump up against my leg. Im not sure what it means but ive thought it may be reassurance for her. She will stare me out at home too but I think its just an attention thing, its too cute.
  • DebDeb
    My guess is it means they want something and are engaging the "imperial shiba mind meld". It seems with my three it happens when they want: and you can fill in the blank with, rubs out, play, treats.... Usually if I pay attention to one when they're staring at me and ask "what?" they will make a move to try to show me what they want.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Usually means he wants to play. Sort of funny, I've had a Siberian and two Samoyed's....and the Shiba is the only one who could stare me down!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • RAM25RAM25
    Shinobi's crate is by our bed, sometimes in the middle of the night Shinobi is wide awake silently and staring at us. She also does this if we're watching TV - kind of disconcerting sometimes!

photo DSC03143_zpsf2861a00.jpg
  • jennajenna
    Ah, the Shiba Stare. Usually, when Snickers does this, he's using his mind control on me so we can GO SOMEWHERE. Anywhere. Just out and about, not where we are. Every now and then, he'll trick me into getting up and then run to the treat jar instead.

jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • tatonkatatonka
    Your
    soul
    is
    mine.
    Monkey!
  • GatsuGatsu
    Gidget is the only one that stares me down. It usually means, quit paying attention to the phone/computer, and pay attention to me!!!! Then she barks, yells, and barks.
  • "Food, food, food, foody, foody, food. You've got food. I like food too."
  • haha.... from about two hours ago!

photo RONIN.jpg

euphaire said:

Another quick question.
    A lot of the times when my shiba is lying down, he would stare at me for a very, very long time. With his leaf-shaped eyes he kinda looks like this......
    Photobucket

Oops, sorry about the huge size :/

Looks kinda grudging......what could he be trying to 'say' by staring at me like that? He has had enough water, food, chew, walks, and play.

Post edited by RoninsMommy at 2013-03-10 23:34:01
  • Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I can't even go to the bathroom in peace!
  • 20130803_135938

"...did you just fart?"
  • HaloHalo
    @August_west
    ROFL =)) his face says it all.
  • Roku's staring comes in 2 varieties.
    The standing in front of me variety is usually followed by a sudden loud howl and then he takes off. Usually, he wants me to play in the yard with him, or has an empty water bowl or (lately) Moxie, escape artist ferret extraordinaire, made it through/over the gate at the top of the stairs (to separate the predator from the prey) and is taunting Roku from under the chest or between the wall and the fridge.
    The lying on/crawling across the bed variety means he wants me to lay down, and if I am already laying down, he doesn't approve of the position that I'm laying in. He'll lay there staring for a long time before crawling to me and licking/climbing/pawing at me until I move and then he will cuddle against me. Some days we go through several cycles of this until he's satisfied, other days (when I'm less patient or more tired) he'll try for a bit and when I don't respond, he'll figure out a way to lay comfortably while touching me. This sometimes means he will literally sit right on my face. I think this is to remind me that it is in my best interest to cooperate with him.
    It's when he does things like this that I employ the Will Ferrell training method known as "Dissing Your Dog".
  • dmalone87dmalone87
    Hiro just started the "Shiba Stare" two days ago. They start young! (He's only 10 weeks old) I think he was trying to tell me he was bored with me watching tv, so we played and that satisfied him ha.

photo IMG_0181_zpsgrfdramz.jpg
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Here is a link to an interesting study that shows the bonding that takes place when humans and their pets look at each other:

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/dogs-owners-hormones-study/2015/04/17/id/639161/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)