For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Support "No Pet Store Puppies" Campaign
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/parenting-family/pet-talk/story/2011/08/Pet-Talk-Heres-where-pet-store-pups-really-come-from/49986168/1

Please check out the story here and support the "No Pet Store Puppies" campaign launched by ASPCA. It is sad that many people did not make the connection of puppies sold at a pet store with puppy mills.

They also have a listing of puppy-selling pet stores (probably US only), and urge dog lovers to not buy anything at these shops. I have a pet store near me that sells puppies and I will never shop there. They sell Shibamo, among other breeds.

Please make the pledge and share the link on Facebook, Twitter, so more people can be aware of puppy mills.
    Post edited by ljowen123 at 2011-09-22 17:40:35
  • KhaikoKhaiko
    Only one thing I can say "The vast majority of people surveyed a few months back — 78% of them — told interviewers they believe that puppies sold in pet stores come from such places as shelters, or private owners whose pets had litters, or that they really have no idea where the animals come from." that's just make me sick.. How come they don't know?!...
  • @Alyssa L.

It is a Shiba and American Eskimo mix.

I believe Shibamo is a just a makeup term byb and puppy mills create to sell these puppies as a designer breed.
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah, designer or whatever mix. You could say I've got two Border Retrievers, or Labrador Collies, etc. but they are just mutts. Nothing wrong with that, but people shouldn't go around making crap up in order to sell a pup and charging more for it since it's "rare" or some stupid nonsense like that.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-01-17 21:20:44
  • SakuSaku
    I just did! post it on my FB too!
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    i agree with @losech pet stores treat their pups like a used car dealership...ie. (im a mechanic and a car freak) i went to recently buy a car used from a dealership and the guy showed me a 1980 chevy malibu,barley ran and rusty...he said its a "classic" thats why the price is so high...no its not a classic its old nothing more...my point is they will say or do anything for the sale..."its a rare breed"..."he half rare"..."hes healthy" ..when in reality they probably dont know how rare...and certainly dont know how healthy cuz pet stores put em behind plexi glass then crate em at night in their own poop n pee
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I'm going to piggy-back on this thread because I didn't realize
    I didn't realize this was occurring until fairly recently in my city.

Irvine, CA to ban sale of pets in retail stores.
    http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/10/12/socal-city-kicks-out-rodeos-circuses-pet-sales/54738/
  • This is such a frustrating topic. I dont understand how anyone will pay such crazy prices for a cross breed pup. The other day at work I had a client saying their pup was a purebred puggle ... there is no such thing.... So many people are so gullible. They will believe everything anyone says to them.
    You use to go down to your local small town pet store for help or even advice about your pet, nowadays most pet stores are big chain stores that hire young staff that have no idea about pets themselves and are trained to sell product. (I know not all staff are this way but most seem to be)
  • BootzBootz
    @SaskaShiba, I agree! People are gullible. I Bumped into my sister's friend at the dog park. Saw her dog and asked "oh what kind of mix is it"
    her response: "its a purebred shiba like yours".
    *looks at hers, then looks at mine* "you sure its not a mix?"
    her response "Yup its definitely purebred" *with a proud look on her face*

Please note it didn't have ANY of the signature shiba features. Ears...face...tail...even coat...>_> didn't even look similar to my Bootz, only in color...lol.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    LOL...i wouldve told her to check the papers...and do some research on the breed
  • SayaSaya
    This thread I did has interesting article on it too.
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9117/i-consider-him-a-rescue#Item_3
    Whole puppy mill and byb makes me sick. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)