For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas & Cats
  • vben221vben221
    Hi all, I am still in the process of contacting Shiba breeders in the NY area. In the mean time, I would like to ask if any of you have experienced bringing a Shiba Inu into your home with cats. Any tips on how to introduce a Shiba to a cat? I am trying to do some research so I introduce them the right way and avoid future conflicts in my home. Your help is appreciated :)

Vanessa
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 09:22:19
  • micomico
    we've got a 12 wk shiba and two 8 yr old cats and after 5 weeks they're starting to tolerate/ignore each other. The funny thing is the more dominant cat was scared of her and Suki still spends ages chasing her round the garden, destroying my shrubs as they hurtle around, we compare it to sheepdogs rounding up sheep and we think Amber secretly enjoys it! When Amber finally makes his escape over the garden fence we're sure he laughs as Suki crashes into the fence trying to work out where he's gone and why she can't jump 8 ft!

Our other cat is more timid but won't take any messing from her, when he gets fed up a hiss is his way of saying 'pack it in I've had enough of your juvenile behaviour' and Suki goes and lies on her mat with a big sigh waiting for Amber to return.

The only change we've made is to move the cat food and put it on the worktop in the utility room with a bowl of water and have another bowl in the kitchen that they all drink from but Suki's started to copy Amber and likes to drink water from the bidet tap!
  • TengaiTengai
    We had 3 cats when our first Shiba came into the house. First the cats should have a place where the dogs can never go as a safe retreat. (we put a gate on our steps so the dogs couldn't go upstairs) At first the dogs would get overly excited when they saw a cat try to chase etc. As time went on it became less and less of an issue. If a cat would happen to come downstairs and the dogs were in they would always give chase, cats would dissapear upstairs till next time. Took a few months but one day one cat didn't run, dog went up to her sniffed and walked away. She then freely came down while dogs were around. The other two cats eventually did the same, although with one it took almost a year! My dogs weren't the I want to eat you mentality, so it may not be the same for all dogs. If oyur getting the dog as a pup it will be easier than if dog is an adult and never saw a cat.
  • We've got two female cats, about 3-4 years old (Null and Void, yes those are their names) and Zume is now 10 months old so she's been around cats for the majority of her life. Our cats are indoor only (outdoors would be bad, too much traffic) and on the advice of our vet, we made sure that the cats had a place to escape to when they felt the need. So we've got a couple of cat condos if they want to escape upwards and a few rooms gated off if they want some privacy or quiet (spare bedroom and laundry room where the litterbox stays). I used to feed them in the kitchen but Zume seems to think all food is hers so I had to move the cats food to the laundry room and now feed them on top of the dryer. Zume can't reach them or their food. Or the litterbox. Yeah, definitely make sure that's not dog accessible. There's nothing like having to clean up cat poop that the dog has eaten and puked up again.

You may have to keep a close eye on all animals for a while as Zume will try to engage the cats in play, but being cats they want none of it if it's not on their terms. She'll play bow, nip at tails or ears and will continue until either the cats get angry or until I yell at her to knock it off. I've often wondered if Zume would stop if our cats would defend themselves more but they don't seem to care too much. One is very timid (Void) and just runs away rather than fight back. Null is more tolerant and will play with the dog's toys when the dog isn't around. I've only ever witnessed once or twice them sleeping next to each other and they just keep to themselves for the most part.
    Post edited by Hollifina at 2011-08-02 15:07:51
  • we brought our shiba into the house at two months old, with a 6 and a 10ish year old cats that had never been around dogs. they hated the puppy at first, and the older cat hid from her and the younger cat tried stalking her a few times. we just watched them closely and didn't leave them alone together. then Signey got older and and more curious, and kept sneaking into the cats' room to see what was going on. they hissed at her and chased her out the first couple of times, but by the end of Signey's first year, her and our younger cat were best friends, and the older cat wasn't bothered by her. and Signey is great with strange cats outside of the house, excluding the cats that trespass right outside of the house.
  • When we brought Ginger home we had a 1.5 year old female cat, Violet. Violet is a super hyper, playful cat but she was definitely not into Ginger. We have a 3 level townhouse and Violet would refuse to come to the basement level and only come down to the second level to eat. We gated off the third level so Ginger can't go up there. That's Violet's level where her litterbox, bed and all her toys are.

It took about a year to get things mostly back to normal and there are still days where Violet refuses to hang out with all of us in the bottom level. They will chase each other but when Violet is done, she's DONE and lets Ginger know with a swift smack in the face :) Violet also likes to get Ginger in trouble by letting out a sad "meow" when my back is turned because she knows by meowing I'll probably yell at Ginger for pestering her. Ahh... it's like little kids, lol. Like I said, it took a year for things to finally get back to normal but it was worth it because even though they aren't best friends, they still can co-exist and on that rare occassion, play with each other.
  • vben221vben221
    The breeder I spoke to told me that her pups are all socialized and spend much of their time with both people, other dogs and cats so I am hoping it won't be too much of a problem.

My boyfriend jut built cat shelves that go up and across the top of our walls so hopefully they can escape when the pup gets on their nerves. I am a tad nervous because one of my cats (my rescue) is jealous when it comes to me. He always wants my attention so I am not sure how he will act when I bring a dog into our home and give it more attention. When we rescued our other cat (@ 2 months old) he hated him and would at him and now they're play buddies. I am hoping I will have the same luck with the pup.

Thank you all for your advice and stories! I should be going to the breeder to spend time with the dogs and see if their temperament fits our home. I am very excited!
  • tanaisetanaise
    So long as the cats can get out of the way, they'll be fine. They may not be happy, but they'll survive. I would try and figure out ways to give the cats private time--such as have your boyfriend take the dog out for a while or so and and cuddle the cats while they're gone.
  • Our cat Violet is very attached to me as well. I was really worried but bringing in our Shiba did not affect my relationship with Violet. We still have some cuddle time at night when Ginger is away for the night and we still hang out when I am on the top floor in the office. Like tanaise said, as long as the cats have somewhere to go they will be ok. Maybe not happy at first, but with some time it should work itself out.
  • DaghainDaghain
    Argh. I'm thisclose to adopting a super-cute adult Shiba, (who could care LESS about the cat). The cat, however, has been my "baby" for five years (she's ten) and although she was raised with dogs, I'm all worried about them getting along. She did not take the initial visit as badly as she would have when I first got her, but I don't want to lessen my relationship with her for a dog. Help!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    As I said in the other thread you were discussing this, Shibas and cats can co-exist. In my household there were four cats before any dog. Now there is still three cats and now also two dogs.

They are not friends and habits, routines of the cats changed, but I did make sure everyone has their time and attention.

It can take a very long time for a cat to settle into a new routine anytime something changes in their kingdom, but that doesn't mean you can never have change if you are ready to introduce them properly and accept they may stay separated by choice.

Sounds like you know how to give the cat its space, so I don't see any reason you can't rescue a dog that has been previously socialized to cats.
  • amtiamti
    Post edited by amti at 2013-03-29 20:34:34
  • DaghainDaghain
    I'm putting the baby gate up and moving the cat's food to higher ground tomorrow in preparation for Keiko's arrival this weekend. I figure it will be good to give her a few days to acclimate to those changes before throwing the dog in there.

I also think I need to keep a watchful eye when they're both out while "pretending" to ignore them, as I know the cat is a total drama queen and will completely overreact if it looks like I'm trying to pity her.

Fingers crossed! I think once the cat realizes the dog isn't going anywhere she'll get over herself.
  • JuniJuni
    I was told by one woman they rubbed/ sprayed their puppy with catnip when they brought it home and the cat instantly loved the little thing...
  • WerwolfWerwolf
  • DaghainDaghain
    OMG that is adorable!

I installed the baby gate and moved the cat's food to the counter today. We had about twenty minutes of complaining (mainly because the cat was all, "You don't let me on the counter!). I left the one bathroom door open so Pixel could still walk in and out of the room - I didn't want her to think I'd confined her. So she made this huge game of walking around to the gate and looking at me to see what I would do. When I looked at her and told her to go ahead and jump, she did. Much praise and it became a game for her. It was hilarious.

She finally got to her food a couple hours after that. Tomorrow evening I'll try shutting the bathroom door so that she's forced to jump the gate to come into the living room. Then, when Keiko comes home on Saturday, she should have worked out that she can go over and get away from the dog. Fingers crossed!
  • Kay23Kay23
    Lucy, my cat, was very displeased when we brought Kira home. Lucy is 8, and had grown up in a house of other cats and dogs, but I brought her with me when I got my own place and she'd really started enjoying being an only pet.

Several months later I think they both secretly love each other. It's so adorable to see them playing with each other. A little Catch and Chase.
  • redcattooredcattoo
  • RAM25RAM25
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    I have a medium sized cat (lean 10 lbs) who can fit through a 3 in crack. I have already moved her food to the bathroom and her litter box to the laundry room ( attached to the bathroom). I should be getting a puppy late July and am trying to prep to have that space a shiba free zone.

@redcattoo How old was Bear when you started using the gate? Did he not fit under it or did he not try?

I worry my puppy will be smaller than my cat and will fit under the gate. There is also a type with a cat door in the middle, has anyone used one of those with a puppy?
  • knnwangknnwang
    Use toxoplasm gondii? I'm just kidding. :/
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @poltergeist that's really impressive work with your cat!

Our home has Chai (super old cat), Koa (older cairn terrier) and Yuki (4 month old shiba). We are all (including humans) just living in Chai's world. LOL! Yuki has never tried to hurt her, but will run toward her or watch her to check her out. Sometimes when he gets excited he barks. He's never lunged or nipped at her. Chai is NOT impressed with Yuki at all and will hiss as he approaches and bat him if he comes near her. Most of the time he runs away or will just continue to be happy to see her. I'm doubtful they will ever be "friends". haha! But they co-exist around each other daily.

Just remember, as others have said, to have a separate area, especially high areas (Chai's is on the desk next to the computer where it's warm) that Yuki cannot get to. Or she'll sit on high up chairs. Because Yuki is crazy about animals getting food (he will have a legit melt down if another animal is fed), we make sure to feed Chai (and Koa) away from Yuki.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • NahatalieNahatalie
  • BekusBekus
    omg I love your huge cat! :)
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-06-17 13:55:12
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    Post edited by LMSpost at 2014-06-17 22:01:32
  • BootzBootz
    @LMSpost

I bought that exact same gate!!! (Then returned it a week later) No, the puppy won't fit through the gap, well mine didn't. But it will fit through the cat door. Haha.
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    @bootz Did you return it because the puppy fit through the cat door or for a different reason?

Good thing I won't be using the cat door then.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • BootzBootz
    @LMSpost I honestly forgot.

I think because the cat door could easily be open... And it wasn't wide enough? We had to extend it a lot... And even with the extension I didn't like it :(
  • LMSpostLMSpost
    Really just using the gate as a deterrent from going into that room, cat's food and litter are in there. I have an expen and a crate when I can't supervise. I should be fine.
  • BootzBootz
    @LMSpost

Make sure to add on some reinforce training.

Example: "Sit" "stay" *treat* "good girl/boy"

If s/he jumps on the gate, just repeat. They will catch on
  • Post edited by triggs121 at 2015-02-16 13:46:27
  • Post edited by slappy9876 at 2015-02-16 13:59:19
  • bump:

The lady I am seeing has a dog who banjo tolerates (her dog is a puppy and my dog isn't a fan of puppies [he'll occasionally play with them but mainly ignores them. He won't ever be mean to him... they use the same walker/trainer and he tells me all the time they two of them are fine together] we hike together etc and its not a problem).

She has a cat as well. Banjo has not met said cat. My biggest fear is he will have no idea what to do and will kill her cat. When I bring him there, should I keep him on a leash for the first interaction? What is proper protocol for an intro wherein a strange dog is coming into the cat's home and the resident dog is not an authority figure to the strange dog?

She has segmented off some of the house for the cat only.

TIA

• sunyatasunyata
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    My new puppy always wants to play with our cats, and he gets sooo hyper and excited! He doesn't leave them alone either, so I've been working on that. Poor Denso, he just wants to play!

I just tell him "enough" firmly, and he'll listen (until his short puppy span sees them again lol). I usually play fetch with him at that point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)