For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Clicker Training
  • cmed24cmed24
    How are Shiba's with clicker training? My vet is starting a puppy class and i just found out they use the clicker method. i dont know much about it, but i wonder how responsive shiba's are to this method.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 09:32:02
  • jujeejujee
    Clicker training is awesome for Shibas. :) My girl does very well with clicker based training.
  • Tiger Lily has only been home a week, but I learned clicker training with my mom's pugs, and she already knows how to sit, lie down, and is working on a commando crawl.

she still does not come on command, though
  • LosechLosech
    Conker does great with clicker training. Is the only thing that gets him to walk nicely and perform commands regularly and quickly. Only thing is you need to be sure you're timing it right.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    clicker is awesome for Shiba's - @TigerLily, had to laugh at "she still does not come on command, though"...Good luck with that:) ha ha...

Shibas are world renowned for not having reliable recall :) It's part of their charm...
  • My gf and I have been using clicker to train our puppy (now 9 weeks). We got her when she's 8.5 weeks and we were able to train her to sit, up, and roll over within 1 week. Definitely continue to train your Shiba with a clicker!
  • It's great! Any positive reinforcement works with them, but clicker training is super fast (unless, like my Toby, they're afraid of the sound, then you have to put more work into getting them used to it).

Bel, who is a super fearful dog, is also very smart, and she got clicker training in about a minute and has become more confident and offering behaviors. I think it's a pretty amazing method, and works with most animals.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Great blog post by my Fav...

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/click-and-always-treat-or-not

So what say you?.....Is it the Good, or the anticipation of the good. I say the later.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • We clicker train Severus! He picked it up pretty well! We do several short training sessions throughout the day (no more than 4 minutes at a time) and we use kibble from his normal meals as the "treats". This works ok at home, but in a very distracting setting like a puppy k class, we bring high-value treats: cheese, dehydrated hot dogs, chicken breast, liver, etc. I'm pretty impressed with the results considering we're amateur trainers and have never clicker trained before this puppy.
  • tysaaantysaaan
    I have a question for people who are clicker training their dogs...

Do they become dependent on it? I understand the concept behind the method and want to do it, but I don't want them to only listen when I use the clicker. For example I might not always have the clicker at hand, would my dog still listen to my commands? Also, what is your marker for 'good' when you don't have the clicker?

I am debating whether to train my puppy with a clicker or just by voice.. Right now I am more towards the voice side as I have it with me all times :D
  • I had this problem. Its a good question.

I use the clicker ONLY to teach new stuff. Once he knows it, no more clicker, just voice.

I found he did become reliant on the clicker so we weened off of it.
  • natashanatasha
    Banjo has the right idea, once your pup learns a particular behaviour you can start weaning him off the clicker. The idea behind the clicker is to indicate when he does something correctly, but it isn't meant to be used continuously and forever.
  • I kind of see it as the same as treats. You use the treats/clicker initially so your dog can know what behaviour you like (more precisely with the clicker than just with the treat). But after a while, you fade out the clicker and treat for doing the command.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Just to reinforce what has already been said, from KPCT:

Do clickers and treats need to be used for every behavior, forever?
    No. Once a behavior is learned and on cue, there's usually no need to click, as the animal understands the behavior. Clicker trainers can maintain the behavior by replacing specially good treats with occasional and less intensive rewards including a pat or praise. Learned cues and behaviors are also maintained by real-life rewards: for example sitting quietly at the door is rewarded by opening the door so that the dog can have a walk. Clicker trainers then save clicks and treats for the next new thing they want to train.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)