For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bit me while walking
  • OuijaOuija
    I am very upset with Ouija right now. On our walk this morning he bit me on the shin. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe I pulled on his leash too hard and it hurt him but I honestly don't believe that's the case.
    I instantly ans very sternly told him 'no,no!', tapped him lightly near the rear and said no, no biting!. We continued but I cut the walk short because there were too many squirrels and birds out and he was being difficult. I dont believe we will be walking that early again for a while.
    He didn't break skin, but there is a mark and twenty min later I can still feel the area where he bit me.
    I'll talk about it with the vet, but of course I'm open to comments/suggestions from you guys!

ETA: I changed the title a bit to make it a little less dramatic. ;-)
  • sunyatasunyata
    Squirrels... Hmm. Sounds like the bite could have been redirected towards you since he could not get to the squirrels.

What type of equipment are you using to walk him? (what type of collar/harness/leash)

Also, keep in mind, this is all very new to him. And it could be incredibly exciting. Especially if he was never walked much before. You may need to treat him like a puppy and let him get used to walking on leash gradually. Hopefully this will be an isolated incident and he will quickly fall in to a good routine with you.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • OuijaOuija
    This happened before the squirrels came along. Or at least, before I saw any.
    I use a harness and a five foot lead. I had the lead wrapped around my hand because he likes to try to cross in front of me and it trips us both up.
    No, I'm pretty sure he has absolutely no experience walking on a leash. I've noticed he seems to listen better in the backyard. But I also know he's bored and a couple of good walks would be beneficial to him. I hope it's an isolated incident also! And I'm still resigned to the fact that maybe it's something I did without knowing. I just don't know what! Last nights walk was great.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    You need to get to work with a trainer or behaviorist right away to help give you some guidance. In home lessons may not be a bad idea either. Am I right to assume this is your first Shiba? I am gathering he was probably not well socialized and this is all very new to him. He is being pushed passed his threshold in a very short time frame, and bites are an almost guaranteed consequence of fear and stress. It's great you are walking him, but he probably needs some time to settle in before having all these new experiences.

Now, when you go to your vet and tell them "he bit me," your vet may be obligated by law to report this. This will be a black mark on his future if you decide you are not the right home for him, even though it was your fault. I say it is your fault, not to hurt your feelings, but because you were 1) over stimulating him 2) touching him and 3) reprimanding him. He has every potential to be a nice, gentle dog with patience, training and more patience.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • OuijaOuija
    We start obedience class next thursday. I wasn't touching him at the time, not purposely anyway. Maybe my leg grazed him or something? Feelings not hurt at all. Yes, my first shiba. Should I not walk him then? Just let him play in the backyard?
    But if that's the case, he would need to be back there longer and although he hasn't seemed to be trying to escape should I look into a tie out?
  • sunyatasunyata
    If you do not have a securely fenced yard, I would definitely not let him run off-leash, even for short periods of time.

If you do not mind the intrusion, where do you live? Are you in an urban area, suburban, rural? Are there any quiet parks around? What about quiet streets that do not get much traffic?

And glad that he starts class soon. That should definitely help out quite a bit.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-07-28 09:04:20
  • OuijaOuija
    It's securely fenced, I'm just paranoid.
    I live in st Louis, my street and the neighboring streets are quiet. We are within walking distance of a small park. We pass/go through it on our walks.
  • sunyatasunyata
    I am wondering if walking him on a lunge line (long lead, such as 10 or 15 ft lead) would help him with the walking. At least at first, anyway. However, you will need to make sure there is NO traffic around and that you have relatively good control over him.

Also, you might want to leave his harness and (short) leash on him while he is hanging out in the backyard. This way, he gets used to having both on him and the feeling that having a leash provides. Also, make sure you have yummy treats on walks. And if he is presenting good behaviour, treat at will.

As for the secure yard... Remember, he is a Shiba. :-P I would not let him out unless he is supervised.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • OuijaOuija
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm over it now. Just going to move forward and hope we can not annoy each other! Ha ha
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I just wanted to add that walking him early shouldn't make a difference, especially if he's never been properly walked before.

Keeping the harness and (use a cheap leash) leaving the leash on while just hanging around the house may also help him get used to having that gear on him.

Best of luck with the walks and the classes!
  • CaliaCalia
    Personally, I think you should hold off a week or two before putting him into an obedience class, unless it's one on one or a very small group (2-3 other dogs). No matter what the breeder has told you, there is still little you know about the pups and should take it slow to better learn his thresholds. My concern is the possibility of him not being socialized to other dogs and putting him in a class with many dogs could do more harm than good.

I would keep the walks to a minimum for now, and keep them short. This is a whole new life for him and there are so many things he has to get used to. It kind of is a good thing that he seems bored of the backyard. This would give you an opportunity to interact with him, make him think you are the greatest thing, and strengthen the bond between you two. To me, working on that bond is more important than anything else, as once you have it it makes everything else so much easier.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    I would also suggest some reading on your part.

I took my first Shiba (Maluko was 4 1/2 years old then) to an obedience class not long after I got her. The trainer is experienced, but she is more old school and believes that a correction (leash jerking, but nothing too crazy like alpha roll) is necessary when a dog is supposed to know some commands, but chooses not to do it. She said it is fair as she first teaches the dogs commands and then only corrects the dog if the dog intentionally disobeys. I didn't know much then and took her advice to heart and jerked my poor girl a few times, which I really regretted looking back.

I am glad I did not stop at the obedience class. I read as much as I can on dog training and dog behavior and once I do, I now have the knowledge to make a better decision for my dogs (now I have 2 Shibas).

Here you will find a list of books you may consider, http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3851&page=1#Item_18
  • Bump.

I got bit by an off leash dog today. It's always been aggressive but never off leash. Today it was off leash and charged banjo and me. I got between that dog and banjo and the dog bit me in the leg.

If I go to the doctor and tell her a dog bit me, what happens to the dog?

Eta: banjo is fine.
    Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2015-09-16 08:20:28
  • Oh no! I'm glad Banjo is fine, are you ok? Is it very deep?

They keep records of dog bites and if a dog has bitten someone before then it becomes an issue.

It definitely should be reported, considering that the dog was also not leashed. That's just irresponsible, it's one thing if your dog is aggressive but another if you don't have any control over it. It sounds like this dog has a bad history and it needs to be noted.

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-09-16 09:12:26
  • its still bleeding on and off (its been 2 hours almost). I'll be filing a police report after work.

I hate stupid people.

• @BanjoTheBetaDog-I am so sorry that you and Banjo were attacked by an off leash dog and I am glad that Banjo is fine. You do need to report the incident to Animal Control. An investigator from Animal Control will interview you regarding the incident. They will also interview the dog to see if he/she has the proper shots. You really need to see a doctor regarding your injury. You may need to get a tetanus shot. I now carry a dog repellant spray that I could use in case of a dog attack since Quake and I have already been attacked. Take care and good luck.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - If you are able, call Animal Control immediately, especially if the owner did not immediately provide you proof of rabies vaccination.

If you are not medically trained, see a doctor sooner rather than later. Dog bites can give you all sorts of nasty infections if not treated properly.

What will generally happen once the incident is reported to AC is that the ACO will get in contact with the dog's owner and request vaccination records.

If there are no other bite records for this dog, the dog will be placed on a 10-day home quarantine, which means that the dog is not allowed to leave the owner's property. If the property is a multi-family residence, then the dog will either be required to be leashed and muzzled when let out for potty breaks (contained on the property) or will spend the quarantine at AC. A bite record will be filed for the dog and owner if the investigating officer determines it to be a non-provoked bite.

If there is already a bite record, the dog will most likely be put down after the 10-day quarantine.

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. It sucks. :(
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @BanjotheBetaDog-obviously that was a typo above. They will be interviewing the dog owner!!! @sunyata-described the procedure very well! I do not know if it was my imagination but I sensed some concern from you about what would happened to the dog. I know it is not easy to think of the possibility of a dog being put down but you must report the incident. The dog owner is being very irresponsible in allowing a dog to be off leash and especially a dog who has the propensity for biting.
  • I am at urgent care now. Next stop police department. This woman's dog is aggressive and she knows it and yet she still let it hang out off leash in an Unfenced area while she watered her plants.... You can't fix stupid.
  • In my neighborhood in Thailand, there is a lot of off leash dogs as well ( some has owners and some are strays) . I'm really scared to even walk Mamoru pass the dogs because they are really aggressive and territorial. Every time Mamoru sees a dog, he wants to go and sniff them and just play with them but because the off-leash dogs are really aggressive, I decided to carry him and walk the other direction because Mamoru would not walk AT ALL. I wish people would just keep their dogs on leash or just lock them in the house if they don't have time to walk them.. Mamoru was once in the middle of a dog fight between a stray and an off-leash dog and he was so scared he tried to run away but because of the leash he couldn't and he started screaming and pulling the leash so hard. Even after the fight, I touched him and he was still scared of my hand. It's really frustrating.
  • @sandrat888 you said:

I took my first Shiba (Maluko was 4 1/2 years old then) to an obedience class not long after I got her. The trainer is experienced, but she is more old school and believes that a correction (leash jerking, but nothing too crazy like alpha roll) is necessary when a dog is supposed to know some commands, but chooses not to do it. She said it is fair as she first teaches the dogs commands and then only corrects the dog if the dog intentionally disobeys. I didn't know much then and took her advice to heart and jerked my poor girl a few times, which I really regretted looking back.

May I ask what that did to her behavior and how you mended your relationship?

I go running with my Girl and she's not an off leash dog. I was running with her everyday but the last few times we went running because she's on the least she stopped to scratch or she stopped to do something I didn't realize it and ended up pulling her or jerking her while running and now she won't run when I run she just stops altogether and won't move. Like she's scared. Even now I've been trying to get her to chase me in the house with treats and she won't... if I start running she stays put.

My husband told me last night that she won't run and play with him. He asked me what I did to her like I had beat her.

:( I feel like such a bad dog mom.

Shiba Inu:
    doin' their own thing since 300 BC.

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • It's a very broad question, and I don't know how I can address yours properly.

In my case, I learned a better way to communicate and train my dogs and we have a very strong bond and relationship on this journey together. If you look at my dogs' life story thread, you will see that I do a lot of different activities with them.

My advice to you is start somewhere to rebuild that trust. Start slow and don't push too hard and fast. Dogs are very forgiving.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)