For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy on "adult" food?
  • RomiRomi
  • sujewelsujewel
  • Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2008-03-31 19:05:28
  • sujewelsujewel
  • kwyldkwyld
    Dave I have a book on dog and cat nutrition and it has charts that calculate the amount of kilocalories a puppy needs based on it's age and weight, also it's estimated adult body weight. How much does Joey weigh now, how old is he, and what will his adult weight be you think?
  • Thanks for the link Barbara, that was very interesting!
  • kwyldkwyld
    This is based on a dog's estimated adult weight of 20 lbs.
    2 mons at 6 lbs-500 kcals,
    3 mons at 8 lbs-522 kcals,
    4 mons at 11 lbs-550 kcals,
    6 mons at 13.7 lbs-589 kcals,
    9 mons at 16.3 lbs-628 kcals,
    12 mons at 18.8 lbs-637 kcals,
    12+(Adult) at 20 lbs-653 kcals.
    This obviously means kilocalories per day.
    I look at the amount of kcals per cup a food has and feed my dogs according to the amount they need based on their weight, as opposed to the feeding guidelines on the back of the bag. I think the most important thing is just feeding a food that has a good quality, digestable protein, and remember meats have the full amino acid profiles that are the building blocks for growth and development in dogs. You can feed a food like Eukanuba for instance that has a high protein content from grains, but the puppy might not be getting all the amino acids it needs like it would from a food that derives it's protein from meats. I don't even know if bags of food list the amino acid amounts in them. Does anyone know of a brand that does off hand?
    Puppies need moderate to high levels of protein and fat, it's the high cacium and phosphorus you have to careful of in grain free foods if you have a large breed puppy.
    Post edited by kwyld at 2008-04-01 21:47:44
  • I know a lot of people really like Orijen. Have any of you had any experience with Orijen puppy?  It is 42/20 protein/fat which seems really high to me.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • sujewelsujewel
    Sounds a little high to me from the little research I did. But Brad is right. It does depend on the dog.
  • sujewelsujewel
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Post edited by BradA1878 at 2008-04-02 22:57:40
  • When Himiko arrives next week I am slowly going to be transitioning her from what Katja was feeding her (I never got around to sending a bag of Orijen) to Orijen puppy. Both Moto and Piglet thrive on it (the adult formula)with no intestinal distress whatsoever.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    Our girls are PSYCHO over Orijen.  We had to get the fish (which is pricier) because they cant keep it in stock.  We buy the big bags and keep saying we need to call but by the time we need it we forget to call to see if they have it,
  • grandemugrandemu
  • hondruhondru
  • RomiRomi
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    I know fish oil is the best but considering prices we havent bought it.  We were told to just use veggie oil or olive oil...never thought of peanut oil.  The oil DOES help there skin and coats immensely...what would be best other than fish oil?
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • kwyldkwyld
    Dave, you can always buy books on animal nutrition that are authored by board certified veterinary nutritionists or holistic veterinarians. That's what I did and it helped me to find out what information is true and what is best for each of my dogs.
  • sujewelsujewel
    LMAO, Jess.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • Moto and Nemo were separated at birth I tell ya. He is a pen chewer too. Actually anything plastic. Now plastic AND expensive, even better!
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    Niko is a rug muncher!  She is terrible!
  • Moto lost interest in carpet quickly. Thank GOD
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    Sasha ate a wall in her foster home....
  • RomiRomi
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    yeah it is not our fault....we should know better!
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
  • RomiRomi
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
  • sujewelsujewel
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • What about taste of the wild?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)