For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
bella has hypothyroidism
  • SayaSaya
    Besides her mast cell tumor thingy she also has hypothyroidism not sure if she has always had it and stress from this heat has brought it out or what.

She hasn't been getting many walks except early morning and late evening and they're short ones or we do tricks and agility in the shade.

Past three or five days she seems less energetic and depressed couple days ago she was shaking like scared..

Today she was shaking too, but nothing going on that scared her.

Mom is picking up her meds for her.

Bella eats wellness core ocean and gets raw meat three times a week love to do more, but can't right now..

Is there anything I should add to her diet to help her with it?

I've also been giving Bella cranimals very berry once a day
    http://cranimal.com/berry.html

very berry ingredients Certified organic cranberry, blueberry and raspberry extract.

She also got cranimals vibe too, but stopped it when I found out it was hypothyroidism
    http://cranimal.com/vibe.html

Vibe's ingredients Cranberry extract powder, dried seaweed meal powder,
    organic spirulina powder

I've read seaweed is not good for dogs with hypothyroidism, but some people say it's good for it so I dunno..

The supplement has other things in it cranberry and spirulina so not sure how much seaweed meal powder it has I could email them the company has been nice with answering my questions so maybe they can tell me..

I'd love to feed her raw diet,but she's my parent's dog and Once I moved out most likely she'd be switched back to wellness core ocean..

I dunno if they could feed raw and keep it balanced, but I guess if my mom read up on it enough she could do it.. No way we could do premade option price wise.

Any books I should read up on? I'm going to do a search on this forum since I remember seeing some threads on this.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:50:16
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    First, sorry to hear about Bella. but luckily, this is very treatable. They usually just get meds that they need to take twice a day, 12 hours a part, NOT with food, though your vet may or may not tell you that. (check out the hypothyroid threads for more details).

Here is a great book on the topic, from Dr. Jean Dodds who is thought of as the leading expert on thyroid disease in dogs: http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Thyroid-Epidemic-Answers-Need/dp/1617810169

I have it, but still haven't read it all, but it's a great resource.
  • aykayk
    Can you share the link to where you read that seaweed is bad for hypothyroidism? The high iodine in seaweed (kelp) is supposed to better for it as far as I know.

Maybe it's to prevent overdosing when taken along with hypothyroid medicine? Don't want to swing into hyperthyroidism?
    Post edited by ayk at 2011-07-27 17:46:53
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks a lot. Good to know to not take with food..

How long to give after eating?
    Photobucket
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Ditto on the Dodds book rec.
    Boxers, unfortunately, rank fairly high up there for breeds affected with hypothyroidism:
    http://www.americanboxerclub.org/purina3.html

Kelp extract has been recommended as a natural thyroid boost, but I personally don't use it because the synthetic thyroid we use (Soloxine is our brand -- I know there are others) seems sufficient. It comes in rather precise dosages, so I'd rather not add a "wild card" to the mix by additionally dosing with too much kelp.

Dosing -- at least an hour before meals or 3 hours after meals is recommended, as close to 12 hours apart.

If you search for "thyroid testing" or something like that, there's a lot of this from last year when Bowdu was diagnosed. Sorry to hear about Bella, but yes, it's one of the most treatable and manageable chronic conditions. Unless your dog is absolute hell to get a blood draw from, then it's still kind of expensive and obnoxious, but at least the pills are cheap. =P
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Feel better soon Bella!
  • SayaSaya
    Various sites and forums say that I don't have a link.

Lot places says it's good for thyroid too.

Wellness core ocean doesn't have kelp in it, but it might have some type of iodine added..

The vibe cranimals serving size is two teaspoons for Bella. it has other ingredients so it's not just all kelp..

Some saying too much iodine is not good.. So I wasn't sure if adding vibe would be good since it does have seaweed meal powder in it I wasn't sure if that would give Bella too much if the wellness core ocean aldready has iodine in it or something..

I don't worry about it for Saya since she is on a raw diet..
    Photobucket
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I wouldn't worry about screening kelp from her diet entirely. If she was getting some before as part of her kibble or as an additive in some treats, it honestly isn't going to make much difference if she continues getting it.

The concern comes when an animal gets TOO much kelp or other supplements, which eventually leads to the body shutting down production of its own thyroid hormones. That is, the body is constantly registering, "Hey, I'm getting my juices from somewhere else! My work is no longer needed!" and strikes tent. But the thing is if Bella has been properly diagnosed as hypothyroid, and she is truly hypothyroid, that's going to happen anyway... When dogs start displaying physical symptoms, their thyroids are usually mostly destroyed anyway.

So it's an irreversible, chronic condition. But again, it's easy to manage.

Make sure you screen your sources of information carefully. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Including my own testimonies and advice. ;) But do check out that book by Dr. Dodds, if you can get your hands on it. It's incredibly informative, simple and straightforward without being dumbed down, and will help keep you informed as you continue talking to your vet.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Aww, I hope Bella feels better soon. Sorry to hear about everything, but I'm so glad it's something treatable!
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks I'll order it soon.

Yeah I take things with a grain of salt mostly.
    Photobucket
  • AraksAraks
    Sorry to hear about Bella. Sevuk was diagnosed as hypothyroid this february too. It could honestly be a lot worse, so don't feel too bad, considering it's really manageable :)

@curlytails: Thanks so much for telling me a while back that they're not supposed to take the medication with food, I've actually seen a HUGE improvement in Sevuk since we starting giving it to him an hour before food. He has much more energy and even lost a pound while staying on the same amount of food. And his skin's dryness has gone away mostly as well.
  • sunyatasunyata
    That stinks... But like Lisa said, it is very manageable. My Bella has been on thyroid meds for a little over 6 months now. She has improved so much. She dropped the weight she gained, is definitely happier, is not throwing up any more, and no longer goes nutso at Nola for no reason.

Hopefully your Bella will respond well to the medication. Keep us updated on how it goes.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • catloreecatloree
    Poor Bella, I hope she feels better soon!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • SayaSaya
    The Soloxine seems to be helping her and we'll be having her surgery on the 9th I hope it goes well so nerve wracking with a boxer with their boxer face at least she's not too smooshed in or anything.

I ordered that book on amazon so I'll read it when I get it.
    Photobucket
  • NekopanNekopan
    Sorry to hear about Bella. Not sure if you know about acepromazine, but make sure they don't use it on her during surgery. Acepromazine is known to be deadly for Boxers, causing serious heart arrhythmia and hypotension.

Captain Jack sends fellow white Boxer healing vibes.
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks a lot I think during her spay they didn't use that and she did fine I'll have to ask again to see what they plan to use thanks for the tip.

I always get worried over surgery especially for a boxer due to their face type.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)