For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
doggy day care
  • cmed24cmed24
    Do any of your shibas' go to doggy daycare? How do they do? We would need maybe one or two days every other week when my husband travels for work. just wondering how they do?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-01 04:05:11
  • I have heard very good things about doggy daycare! I think the socialization would be very good for a Shiba Inu... however, if your Shiba Inu is aggressive, that could be a problem. Shibas are surely spoiled dogs!! Again, I have never taken my pups to a doggy daycare... so my advice is useless! My puppies would get kicked out of doggy daycare... HA!
  • catloreecatloree
    The boarding hotel where we board Elwood when we have to go out of town has a doggy daycare that guests can go to for free. Elwood LOVES doggy day care! He doesn't even get upset when we drop him off for an overnight stay because he knows that he will get to play with all of the other dogs. They did tell us that Elwood is a bit of a wild child when he gets too excited & has had to go into "time out" for playing too rough, but he calms down after that & has a great time.

As long as the daycare closely supervises play so that nothing gets out of hand, I think it's great for socialization. Plus Elwood always comes home really tired!!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • RSierackiRSieracki
    Ginger loves doggie daycare! Our PetsMart has a hotel and daycare that we take Ginger to a few times a month. It's great socialization and when she comes home she is exhausted and calm. They give us a "Pawgress Report" about her day and she is always the life of daycare. She looks forward to daycare and it's good to know she is in safe hands. We are leaving her overnight for the first time in September so I am curious to see how she will do. But sometimes we drop her off when we don't necessarily need daycare just so she can play and socialize. It will be great for your Shiba!
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    There's an excellent doggy daycare in our area that Koni has gone to a few times. He LOVES it. All the dogs have to come in for a trial evaluation to make sure that they will play well with the group, and there's a webcam set up so we are able to check in on him during the day, so, I feel very comfortable taking him there.

Koni is extremely fond of other dogs, so he comes home exhausted any time he goes to daycare. Makes sense, he spent 6-8 hours playing instead of sleeping or laying around like he normally would.

Another great thing is that after going to daycare, Koni is a "good dog" for weeks afterward. I think it's because he comes home so tired that he doesn't have the energy to be disobedient and then he gets into the habit of being good for a while. When he boarded there for a week, he came back cured of his naughty yard behaviors (running away when we called him to come inside). It's been 2 months now since he stopped doing that. Maybe the length of stay at the daycare is proportional to how long the cure lasts?
    Post edited by Koni B. at 2011-07-26 14:51:57
  • SakuSaku
    Good to know the fellow shibas love daycare. I am planning to leave Saku at a dog daycare this coming weekend. So far he plays very well with other dogs at dog park, but I am still a bit concerned. I am mainly worried that he will get bullied by other big dogs..(typical mom...*_*)Saku & Mina's mom
  • RSierackiRSieracki
    Our doggie daycare separates the big dogs from the smaller dogs. However, Ginger is the bully of the smaller dog group and I'm sure if she ever went in the big dog group, she'd bully all of those dogs too. Sigh... she thinks she's 100 lbs., lol.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)