For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does your dog share your sentiments?
  • mcsassymcsassy
    I was very upset about something last night and Nova started stressing out and scratching the floor in the corner obsessively and pacing. She didn't have her usual Shiba smile on and didn't look at peace.

She was the same until this morning when I woke up feeling better and spent some time cuddling with her and she's now back to her normal, happy self.
  • SakuSaku
    The other night I burnt my fingers and I was screaming, Saku got scared and hide under the table. But when I came out of the kitchen, he immidiately sat beside me and tried to lick my fingers...so Yes! They can definitely sense the stress, emotion and everything their human partner is feeling! ;)Saku & Mina's mom
  • lucylulucylu
    Lucy usually nips at our hands when she gets really excited. The other day I cut my hand and the last few days she's been licking the hand that's been cut instead of nipping at it.
  • mattzmattz
    Etsuko ALWAYS knows when something is going on with me... and then I begin to realize that she's noticing, as she does everything she can to be all over me, sit in my lap, lick my face and get me to pet her... :D :D What a sweetie!
  • InoushiInoushi
    Kenshin tends to mimic how I'm feeling. When I'm happy he is all smiles, when I'm sad he sticks close to me. The best is when I sigh at someone and he gives them a look before sighing at them. Its nice, except for when I'm angry, because Kenshin gets angry which means he becomes a brat. That and when I really don't want to talk to someone, Kenshin will start grumbling at them, and if they don't get the hint he will start barking over their voice. My mother likes to joke that he behaves just like I did when I was little and my friend calls him my mirror. Its really cool how much dogs can pick up on their owners emotions and expressions.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I would say the do pick up on emotions. They aren't dumb they just can't talk in the human sense.

Always is a good idea to keep some emotions in check as it will cause some dogs to become overly dramatic and reinforce certain reactions to gain attention from owners. Shibas are good at observing and mimicking without letting you know that's what they are doing.

Snf
  • LovingLolaLovingLola
    Yes, when my mom had to put our cat to sleep suddenly - I bawled like a baby but Lola was extra sweet, she stayed close, cuddled, let me hug her way more than she usually does and licked the tears off my face. Of course that just made me cry more thinking about my poor mom, crying over the cat across the country without a shiba to comfort her!
  • MarijeMarije
    Yes! Shiro picks up on my emotions all the time, with the most clear one being that he gets aggressive when I get upset with one of my other dogs. I won't show aggression or anger, but he picks up on my emotions and will go after the other dog. I now really try to stay calm around him at all times, knowing that he can start reflecting my feelings in his behavior at all times...
    He is amazingly sensitive!
  • robes325robes325
    Blaine has licked my wound too! I stubbed my toe really bad two weeks ago. Hes been licking the same toe ever since. In terms of emotions He picks up on emotions really well. When ever im having a serious conversation with someone he stays quiet and obedient. When ever im sad or lackluster he will sit in my lap or lean against me to comfort me.
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood definitely responds to my moods. If I'm sad or upset, I can always count on him to climb up in my lap for a cuddle. He, like others here, also tries to clean my wounds. I fell off my bike a while back & got a big gash on my knee that Elwood tried to lick for weeks.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • mlvuemlvue
    Dogs do pick up on our emotions. It's especially important during training that you be optimistic because your dog will feed off your vibes and will react to how you feel. :)
  • HaloHalo
    Thread bump up. Recently my grandmother who I had not seen in almost 2 years suddenly did a surprise visit ( let me know she was coming the night before she came) and anyway, I was very stressed out by this. When my grandma came I was stressed out and nervous and Halo really picked up on that, she growled and barked at my grandma and wouldn't leave my side as to say " I will protect you". How to I control my emotions that I don't upset my puppy that much again and make her fearful and hate another person?
  • InuzooInuzoo
    When I get tired of dealing with hubby :). I go in the bedroom to watch tv just beyond the puppy gate and Zooey sits at the gate and whines. It's like she saying "I don't want to deal with him either come get me". Does that count. Haha. My son has a laceration in his hand and Zooey has mothered it daily with sniffs and kisses.
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    @Halo, Dakota does the same thing!! The other night some friends were over and when they went to leave, their car would not start. One of them became quite agitated and upset about the car. Dakota immediately picked up on it and started barking and huffing and running around.. She even started to nip at my friend's pants leg (but she controlled herself) as if to say "get out of here, you are not welcome now in the house because of your energy". It is the weirdest phenomenon, and it happens all the time when anyone in the house gets upset. They must "smell" the change in emotion from us humans.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka exits the room at the sign of any drama.
    Monkey!
  • HaloHalo
    She apparent mimics my behavior some....lol. Tonight I was in a cuddly mood and my little buddy came up and we cuddled and fell asleep together on the couch. She is not a very cuddly dog either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)