For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Eating the wall?
  • robes325robes325
    Has anyone's shiba inu done this before? My dog licks the wall and then starts gnawing on the drywall. He has plenty of chew toys for teething. Any ideas?
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2011-09-21 01:24:00
  • mcsassymcsassy
    LOL

Can't say I've seen it, but I've heard of it before. Doesn't get any less funny though hahaha.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Our puppy chewed on a baseboard; he doesn't have any shortage or toys either...
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Yes, Koji did that also growing up..he's just over a year now and has diminished a lot...I just treat it like chewing anything undesireable...don't make a big issue, re-direct his attention...maybe an "Ah ah" and give him something else, also bitter spray...

Luckily Koji is growing out of it...I actually just spackled and sanded and painted all his little "areas" :)
  • CaliaCalia
    I've heard it happen a lot with Siberian Husky pups that weren't stimulated enough, luckily I've kept my guys plenty entertained while they were growing.

You have a few options to work with. One is to get a bitter tasting liquid, such as bitter apple or lemon juice, and spritz it on the areas he likes to chew on. That way, when he starts to chew on the wall, it doesn't taste too good. Another thing is to stop him the minute you catch him in the act, and redirect his attention on one of his toys.
  • robes325robes325
    yeah, im not sure why paint and wall interior are appealing to him. I thought it might be because we arent feeding him enough, but we give him more than the average amount of food for a puppy his size. I do think it has to do with him being bored. The problem is, im starting to not trust him alone anymore. He has always been fine being alone for a few hours a day, but recently this wall chewing thing has made me cautious. I dont want to come home to a bunch of holes in the wall so ive been putting him in his kennel more.
  • SayaSaya
    Bitter apple on the wall might help gotta reapply it every so often I think. Never used it before..

Saya did chew on the window and baseboards luckily she stopped once I made sure my dad kept her in the crate when I wasn't around he doesn't watch her or walk her when I was gone..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    have you tried bully sticks?
  • robes325robes325
    he has bully sticks that he loves, but seriously sometimes I see him chewing on the bully stick like mad and then he starts licking the wall. I guess the only option I can think if is getting a spray that he hates. would just using plain vinegar work?
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    dont know about vinegar but anything remotely spicy works for my dog. but those normally have a color and you probably have white walls...i'd try bitter apple first to see if it works.
  • Yup..every corner of my walls has been chewed. Haven't found a cure yet besides crating him since using a gate doesn't help. He just jumps right over
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Robs a lot of dogs do this, some clear into a next room out out of house or into electrical, which is bad news. Yep I would say boredom, find some more toys etc. If the destruction is one location say behind a crate or furniture I would purchase a plexglass sheets at the hardware store and drill in on the wall over the area once you repair. Also test out bitter apple or fooey spray on a spot and see if he likes it or finds it bitter. Some dogs find it tasty. If it repels him/ he dislikes then use it on other areas that he is nibbling that should be off limits. The best bet is to use a crate. The chewing like this can go on for some time, best not to have that routine get habituated.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-07-15 14:23:59
  • Alex575Alex575
    Bitter Apple works sometimes. I think it has to be freshly applied and they have to taste it right away. It worked when Monju started biting her metal crate and I sprayed it with Grannick's Bitter Apple and she got a taste of it and started spitting and licking her lips with a fervor, LOL.

But then she started chewing on the wooden leg of chair in my office and I sprayed the leg but she wouldn't chew it once I caught her, but a few days later she was chewing the leg again. And in the same spot!

Anyway, try the bitter apple. The one thing you don't want is him chewing enough of the dry-wall or carpet or whatever, so that it becomes a serious health concern like blockage and stuff.
  • himes momhimes mom
    embarrassing to say but Hime has chewed up the walls in my hall way walls pretty good. One is at least 12 inches wide by 6 inches high, the worst one. She started this activity when she was about 3 months. She is now 15 months and she has only lessened slightly. I'd agree with others about it being boredom. No matter how many toys she has, there is something attractive about the wall. Sometimes I will see her staring at the wall, then she'll go up and start licking it. Must be something that caught her eye and she's gonna fix it with her teeth! Hopefully she stops soon so I can repair the walls.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Had to search for this, Kuma decided to gnaw at a corner wall of his play pen area and there's a big chunk missing. So now, I have to repair it when I get home. Next month my wife will be going backto work, and I would hate Kuma being in his crate for 6+ hrs :( hopefully he stops and can play peacefully in his play pen.
  • KentaKenta
    Kitsu did this as well when he was a puppy, but he's a little over 1 years old now and he grew out of it.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    It's more of a play area, puppy proofed room that is blocked by a baby gate. So unfortunately no luck. He only chewed the area the gate is at, and he has plenty of toys along with his iq toys.
  • zobie02zobie02
    Mine was doing that the other day. When I woke up he was doing that on the wall, but he has not done it since.
  • If it's near an entrance, it might be some slight separation anxiety developing. Does tiring him out before putting him in that area prevent the damage? That would be the first thing I would try.
  • DebDeb
    Mine never bothered with walls until I damaged the back hall wall with my bicycle pedal while bringing the bike inside. So there was a different spot that attracted their attention and next thing they worked together to make a hole and rip up some of the sheetrock paper. Of course I stopped them and redirected. A repair was made very soon and no further problems. I think they hadn't ever considered investigating walls, but as soon as there was a different spot they noticed it. They haven't bothered the repair or any other parts of the wall, but there aren't any other damaged areas to attract their attention.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @notoriousscrat actually, letting him see us when we walk out of the house to trow out the trash has helped, so desperation anxiety seems to be the main reason.
    We tired him out before he goes in there, but he ended up chewing part of the wall. It was a one time offense and he hasn't done it in 4 days.
    Hopefully he realizes its more fun in the pen than the crate, but may end up putting his crate in tere too.
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    Aiko REALLY enjoys eating drywall (not that I condone it).. I found the way to get him to stop was a spray bottle... He literally had about 30 holes in my last place.
    I can now say I am a master a patching walls though lol.
  • I'm so glad to hear that puppies might grow out of it. My little one Bailey is a real chewer and have chewed holes in carpet in a couple of the rooms. Same thing. She has plenty to chew on and always have bones/bully sticks in her crate. My older shiba Sox has never been a big chewer on anything bad so I wasn't quite prepared for my little crafty babygirl. I just checked behind her crate which I pushed closer to the wall so she couldnt chew the carpet around to find that she has licked (I can only imagine) an indentation into the back wall. I just shook my head. Repairs are going to be plentyful, but I have some bitter apple so going to try that. Hope she hasnt found a 'taste' for drywall. That would suck!! :)
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Yeah, luckily once I moved the crate away from the wall I didn't have this issue with Foxy anymore. I now let her have full roam of the house and she hasn't done anything that she shouldn't. She loves her Himalayans and I always make sure she has one to chew on at all times as well as antlers. I've noticed the days I work from home that she likes to sleep under my bed. This surprised me since its upstairs and she used to not let me be out of her sight even when napping. Guess we both trust each other now and that's a good feeling!
    Photobucket
  • KCKC
    Mochi did this, (and chewed our baseboards, and the wooden slider doors, and the legs of our chairs, and the base of our bed, and our oriental rug, and the wooden feet of our furniture), until she was about a year and a half old. Giving her nylabones and putting her in her crate to re-direct her was our only recourse, because she seemed to love the taste of anything we sprayed on as a deterent. We got new furniture and a new rug, and we are just now considering hiring someone to come in and patch/paint everything else she demolished. :-) Shibas are expensive.
  • NatsuNatsu
    Ugh, i was really hoping there would be a good solution on here, but i guess spackle and paint will be in my future for the time being.. :)

Exercise: he walks 30-45min in the morning around 7am. Dogwalker takes him out for 30min around 2pm. We get home from work around 730pm and usually there is some fetch or other training at that time before dinner. He walks 1-1.5 hrs in the evening around 9pm. He goes to daycare twice a week and weather permitting to dog park twice on weekends.

Toys: at last count he has 47 (!!!) We rotate them and he gets a new one every week or so to keep him excited. There is a big assortment including plushies, ropes, balls, nylabones, etc.

Don't really want to crate him the entire day as he isn't a huge fan of it- he likes to stroll around and play with his toys, snooze on the couch, and look out the window, and the layout of my apt prevents moving his crate to a position he can see out the windows of. His access is limited to living room but there are walls I can't keep him away from.

Bitter apple works but it has to be reapplied every few hours and doesn't last the entire day that we are out of the house. Also if its bitter, he just uses his claws to scratch the wall instead of biting it...... Or starts in on another spot.

Redirecting him / short timeout when caught in the act works somewhat but we can't consistently do it on the weekdays due to being at work. So he improves on the weekends and just goes right back to it on weekdays.

Is it safe to leave bully sticks/rawhides/antlers for him while unsupervised, you guys think?

Otherwise StaticNfuzz i might do what you suggested and install plexiglass!!!
  • BootzBootz
    @Natsu

get an expen If you can't supervise him. Raw hides are dangerous, don't give them it at all. Bully sticks need to be monitored. Antler will depend on your dog, But in general we advise not to leave any chews with your dog unattended
  • NatsuNatsu
    @Bootz - Yeah by crate i meant expen. We have a setup with a crate attached to an expen (a pretty big one) and i tend to just refer to the whole thing as "crate"... Poor terminology!

He doesnt actively hate the entire thing but he is a lot less happy when in the expen than when he has free roam of the living room.. He will bark and cry apparently, we have come home on occasion to a voiceless shiba and complaints from neighbors :(

I thought so about the chews, which is why we haven't been leaving any. Swallow the small pieces and suffocate, right?

Curious if there are any other suggestions on what i can do, or if i should just save money to eventually repair the entire thing :)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Natsu - Set your dog up for success. If he is chewing things that he is not supposed to (such as drywall), he is not mature enough to be left with free range of the house. Put him in the ex-pen, even if he is less than thrilled about it. It is for his own safety.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • NatsuNatsu
    Thanks @Bootz and @sunyata for you advice, it's much appreciated for sure. I ex-penned him today and it seems to have gone ok wrt barking (at least, my neighbors haven't come to scream at me yet) BUT he decided to chew the floorboards *sigh*

I may end up putting down some temporary linoleum tiles or something like that in his ex-pen just so I don't end up having to refloor the whole house, haha. At least all he is doing so far is scratching up the surfaces, which is much less dangerous to him that eating drywall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)