For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Met another shiba
  • Tun-FoTun-Fo
    Two days ago I was walking my shiba mix Jiu-Huo at the park, and I saw a man walking what looked like a pure-bred shiba inu. I asked him if it was a shiba inu, but he didn't really know what that was. He asked if it was a Japanese dog, and I said it is. All he knew was that he had a Japanese dog, but didn't know what the breed was called.

This is the first shiba I've seen in in person other than my own.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    At least he did'nt say it looks like a fox.
    犬竜
  • SayaSaya
    Wow that's interesting. =)

I've met some other shiba owners so exciting to met one for the first time other then the one I own..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • mattzmattz
    I have YET to meet another Shiba in the USA!!!
  • catloreecatloree
    INU RYUU, I had to laugh at your comment. My husband & I always joke that we're going to make Elwood a t-shirt that says 'I am NOT a fox!'
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • YukikoYukiko
    @ catloree: We've said the same thing about making a banner that attaches to the side of Yuki's harness that says that or "Yes, yes I'm REALLY a fox and dog mix."
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    LOL This is so true!!! The amount of times we get asked if Nami is a fox, by far supersedes any other question we get. :)
  • LosechLosech
    That's neat that you saw another Shiba!

Ugh man, Conker's only a year old and I'm already sick of the "Looks like a fox." comments. This one woman asked if Conker was related to a fox (after asking if he was one) I told her foxes and dog's can't interbreed, they are two separate species. Then she said "Oh, now I feel stupid that I didn't know that." and walked off. o_O
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    I have not met another shiba... but I have met plenty of people who own one! Just... never with thier dog! There is a group of people in our apt that INSIST Sakura is a pure blood wolf.... and exclaim so everytime they see her.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • Not only is it really stupid to insist something is a particular kind of animal with no expertise on the matter, but insisted that a little tiny Shiba is a wolf is pure insanity. I wish I could say this amazed me but sadly . . . *sigh*http://obeytheshiba.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/OBEYZIM
    http://packlove.com/zim
  • catloreecatloree
    Things that Elwood has been mistaken for: fox (by far the most common), wolf, basenji, and, my personal favorite, werewolf. There was also one woman who was loudly telling her friend that he must be a mixed breed because no purebred dog looks like that.
  • lucylulucylu
    I was at mom and pop pet store a few weeks ago and took my pup in to get a bag of Acana food. While in there the owner said "oh, another Shiba." I said "another?" and he replied that there is another woman that has a couple of shiba's that comes into his store. A week after that I was in Petco and a woman came up to us and loved our dog. Found out that she is the owner of 2 shiba's and lives in my town. I should have gotten her info because I'd like to see my pup interact with another Shiba. (right now her best friend is an 8 month old lab puppy)
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    My favorite was the time that I was walking Foxy and this little boy all of maybe 3 yrs. old who was walking with his mother pointed at Foxy and said, "Look Mommy, a baby Coyote!" The mother and I both cracked up.
  • lucylulucylu
    lol. I haven't heard anyone think ours was a coyote. I've heard fox a TON of times and one time we were walking through an ice cream parlor and a little boy asked his mom if I was walking a dog or a cat.
  • SayaSaya
    A little boy said Saya was a wolf puppy coarse he was young so that's understandable. Most people mistake Saya for a husky mix or baby husky or baby malamute..

One time I brought Saya with me to the farmers market when they allowed dogs was buying her a bison roast and some organs these couple asked what kind of dog is she I say shiba inu.

They said they never seen a B&T in person only red ones. They also own a New guinea singing dog and they really loved Saya and how well behaved she was.

I've only met like four or five local shiba inu Saya only met three of them one she got along the other two they got a bit snarky with her..
    Photobucket
  • LovingLolaLovingLola
    I have a black and tan and get mini- or baby husky ALL the time in addition to the usual fox. There are several other shibas in my neighborhood in Brooklyn so we run into another shiba at least once a week. Lola doesn't seem any more interested in other shibas than she is in other dogs. Sometimes, she wants to sniff, other times she will ignore - like she does with all other dogs. The other owners and I get a kick out of seeing them together and talking "shiba" to each other though :-)
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    See... I think I could have understood the wolf if she was a cream or even a black and tan... but no, Sakura is a red, personally I believe she is a nice shade of marmalade orange turning to deep pumpkin colour on her head. One little kid at the 4th of july exclaimed that she looked like a baby squirrel. Oh the things people come up with.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • MegaenMegaen
    Lena's been called a: fox, fox hybrid, wolf, wolf hybrid, basenji, and then "what mix is that?" The kids in my neighborhood spent weeks telling everyone she was a fox hybrid even after I explained she has no fox blood in her, haven't seen them since summer started so not sure if they're still around.

As for Toshiro I get people asking if he's a american eskimo or a mix of that...

Then when I say to them "Nope he/she is a shiba inu" they look at me like I'm nuts and just go "uh huh, what's that?" which then leaves me to explain it all lol
  • Tun-FoTun-Fo
    Someone mistook Jiu-Huo for a Corgi once...
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Koreans I have met first think my guys are Jindo. They are very simila in appearence. One Korean friend of mine when he first saw my boy said it was a Jindo and i said "No, a Japanese Shiba Inu". He responded, "It's a Jindo the Japanese stole them from us!" He still admired my INU.Turns out when he was younger and living in Korea he had pet Jindos.
    犬竜
  • i've heard people say my ninja looks like a fox or a small akita... one man waited for us in their front yard coz he got excited and thought he was a jindo. the worst thing was when i walked past someone and he said "look, a small chihuahua!" uh... my 2-month-old puppy was neither small nor a chihuahua. i was pretty irritated at that, lol.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • MyaMya
    Today I got the biggest shock. A lady came up to us and she excitedly said, "Is that a mame-shiba?" I had to ask her to say it again because I couldn't believe my ears. Then she repeated, "Is that a mame-shiba or a standard shiba?" I almost fainted. She got a mini-lecture from me. Looks like she was so elated by seeing a shiba inu in our country for the first time that I don't think any of what I said sank in. Sigh....
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    the gardener at my apartment complex was sure kishi was a chow. I mean she is pretty fluffy for a shiba but a chow? Really? Then I said "no, she is a shiba-inu" his response "a what? Is that some designer breed where they mix a breed with a chow?" I just gave up after that one.
  • meekomeeko
    That is a pretty cool coincidence. I was driving around town with my wife exploring, and pulled into a local ice cream shop and sure-enough, there was a shiba sitting outside, looked exactly like Meeko, and...craziest/coolest part...was named Meeka! And such a nice owner too And tun-fo, we've also been asked several times if our shiba was a corgi.
  • LosechLosech
    @britkotsu
    A guy in my old complex was convinced Conker was a chow. Every time he saw me he asked if he was a chow or akita chow mix.
  • lucylulucylu
    Ran into my first Shiba yesterday afternoon. Milwaukee has a little festival called Bastille Days. Took Lucy there and ran into a 2 year old Shiba. Unfortunately they didn't like each other at all.

As far as the festival went Lucy was the star. I probably got asked a minimum of 100 times what kind of dog she was. I had no problem saying she was a Shiba Inu, but almost every time they would say "a what?" I got so sick of repeating it.
  • SayaSaya
    Took Saya to the farmer's market they don't allow dogs anymore, but we walked around the area and she had fun. There was a poodle tied to a post near a resteraint poor dog..

I think the owners were eating and probably sat where they could see the dog, but still.

The poodle was really friendly didn't yap or go nuts with the greeting she liked getting petted and loved Saya which Saya seemed to like the poodle.

Saya met lots of people and kids one lady who was handicapped had a walker and she loved Saya thankfully she was used to walkers since my grandpa uses it sometimes so she stood by her and waged her tail at her.

Two kids met her and some adults saw her a couple knew she was a shiba, but never seen a B&T up close one lady owned a shop near the market and she got Saya a dog bowl of water. She coarse didn't want it she was too excited to be with the kid.

My mom went to one shop to buy some granola and cheese and I waited outside with Saya lady that was walking into the shop said cute kitty.. lol

I haven't seen much shiba inu out down town so maybe their owners are walking less since it's hot out..

So glad my puppy class did socialization stuff with wheel chairs maybe that's why she is not too scared of strollers, wheelchairs and stuff like that.
    Photobucket
  • JacksMom13JacksMom13
    we try to take Jack to the Shiba meet up every month but we never see shibas near our place - we get stopped by shiba owners/lovers driving by a lot though. our sitter has a couple shibas on her block and they are not very nice so Jack doesn't get any shiba time with them. But a few nights ago, we ran into a woman with an 11 year old shiba named Dolce who was OFF LEASH!!!! Dolce is a red shiba and at first the BF thought he was too big to be one. I insisted only because he had that shiba head and tail. Boy, Dolce is girthy - a whopping 51 lbs barrel bodied sweetheart AND he walks off leash.
  • Let's see, after the usual FOX, we've gotten: (Mind you, we got Crash on July 2, so a little over 2 weeks and this is happening non-stop.)

"Oh, he's a Shiba Indian."

"Is that Shoba Indo?"

And my personal favorite, "Wow, you're fox is cute. How'd you make his tail curl? Did you rubber band it?"

Ryan doesn't like to take Crash to the grocery store anymore. (Ry has to sit outside while I run in, and about 400 people come up and talk to him. However, if it's the other way around, no one comes up and talks to me."
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    Oddly enough there are several shiba inus in my neighborhood of Chicago – a representative of each color except true sesame. Unfortunately one of them (the pinto) is known to have bitten someone who was visiting in their building, so some people have been wary of the entire breed -- including our two dogs. People who knew our dogs before the pinto’s biting mishap refer to her as an “Evil Ichiro” versus the “Good Ichiro”, my dog. The owner has been working with her and has come a long way with the little rescued pinto shiba neighbor. :)
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Figured this would be the correct thread to post this. I met a Shiba today at a meet up who impressed me with his stamina and ability to overcome adversity (not forgetting his owners who stand by him and help afford him a quality of life).

His name is Ernie and suffers from rear leg paralysis since he was one. On our long walk he was always in front leading the group. Kudos to Ernie.

Photobucket
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-05-01 22:03:16
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Awe, God Bless Earnie!!! That's awesome!
    Photobucket
  • sunyatasunyata
    That is awesome. He reminds me a bit of Nola... Only Nola does not have wheels, she just gets carried everywhere. Haha.

Did his owners by any chance say what caused his paralysis?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    All they said was there was a problem with c-spine fluid.
    犬竜
  • koyukikoyuki
    Wow thats pretty amazing! :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Wow, that is amazing! A huge, huge shout out to the owners for standing by him, which much not be easy either emotionally or financially. And look how happy he looks!
  • SayaSaya
    Such a handsome and brave shiba inu! He's lucky to have such great owner to get him some wheels so he can be a happy shiba. :)
    Photobucket
  • catloreecatloree
    Wow, thanks for sharing! Ernie is amazing!
  • I feel the need to share this little creation I made for facebook...

Kenji's breeder was once 'threatened' by some guy while she was out walking Kenji's Mom - he would not accept that she was a dog, and said that he was phoning the RSPCA on her for keeping a fox as a pet!
  • konpeitokonpeito
    @jenlloyd_uk That's a nice graphic haha. I really think the general non-Shiba owning public could benefit from it.

I haven't met any other Shibas around here. I saw a white dog that looked a lot like a Shiba the other day at the dog park, but it was a bit bigger than standard, which made me suspect it to be a Jindo. We actually get quite a few Jindo/Jindo mixes in shelters, but not many Shibas. I remember seeing this beautiful B/T Shiba in NY. It was walking so nicely with its owner in the busy streets (:
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)