For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
July 4th Reminder
  • robes325robes325
    Hey Everyone,

July 4th is that day that most dogs get lost. This is mainly because they get spooked by fireworks. If you are considering taking your dog to watch a fireworks display, please read below.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-04-15 01:21:44
  • InoushiInoushi
    Neither of my dogs are scared of fireworks. Using cap-guns around them as puppies really made the difference. They actually enjoy looking at them, to the point I have to drag them away from a display.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I used to enjoy I stay home and play the TV very loud, give my dog melatonin, and just chill. Thanks for the reminder!
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
  • Thanks for posting. I distributed a similar "Fourth of July Pet Safety" reminder to members of our Shiba Meetup yesterday.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    From Victoria Stilwell:
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
  • lucylulucylu
    Lucy experienced her first 4th of July. Our city shoots off our fireworks on the 3rd and they literally shoot them off 50 yards behind our house. She layed down and watched the entire thing. Never jumped once.
  • bobc33bobc33
    The fireworks are somewhat close to our house, and the reports are booming right now and my two are sleeping. Heck yes!
  • mcsassymcsassy
    I picked up a stray dog today that ran away because of the fireworks...turns out she had no tag because her owner took it off since it was rusty...idiot. friend that left my house at around midnight saw a girl putting up signs for a lost dog, made the connection and she came and picked up the dog from me while I was walking her and Nova.

Hope she doesn't make that error again.
  • Glad you were able to reunite dog and ower. Hope you mentioned microchipping to the owner.

My guys slept thru the celebrations. For some reason, the neighborhood was a tad quieter this year--I'm not complaining.
  • ericw2000ericw2000
    I kept the dogs inside while the fireworks were going off, not that I had any choice in the matter. We had lots of people in the neighborhood with big aerial stuff, and neither dog wanted to go outside to go to the bathroom, but Rocky was totally freaked. I put the Thundershirt on him around 3pm before the noise started and gave him 2 of the relaxing treats from Petsmart. He was still a shaking, panting, mess when the fireworks started and seemed to relax more when he was in my lap. It's to the point now where he'll climb up in my lap when he's scared, and that's ok with me. The Thundershirt provides minimal help at best, though he lets me put it on him without resistance.
  • LosechLosech
    I found an Old English Sheepdog before the fireworks even went off. He was running down the street but I knew where he lived and grabbed him and walked him back. Poor dog, I hope he didn't get out again.

Once it began to get dark and people in the neighborhood were shooting fireworks off I didn't let the dogs go outside. Conker didn't care, Sasha was a bit scared but Juneau... When she's freaked out she goes upstairs and tries to hide in Mom's room and that's where she was. She's never tried to run though, just hide.
  • kayla4554kayla4554
    My pup just had her first fireworks experience. some of the neighbors must have been preparing for july 4th...needless to say maya dragged me home the whole walk freaking out. She even tried to take cover in the dumpster area! Poor girl, looks like next week is going to be a challenge.

kayla and maya <3
  • Fireworks are going off right now in our neighborhood and Zim finds it curious, but nothing more. Probably the result of all the violent movies/television we watch and violent video games we play---lots of gunfire in those.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Around here, in drought ridden NM, there should be very few fireworks (at least up in the mountains) because I think some of us, me included, might drag people away from set fireworks and beat them to a pulp if they do something so stupid.

That said, last year was bad too, and some morons were arguing on FB about their "right" to have fireworks. And I did see people set them off in town even with the fire danger. :(

Its never been my favorite holiday, but worries about spooked dogs and fire make me kind of hate it.
  • Shiba_HaduShiba_Hadu
    Can the loud noises from fireworks permanently damage a dog's ears?
  • BootzBootz
    Not looking forward to the 4th. Both Jackie and Bootz bark like crazy when they hear fireworks :( cant even distract them with treats.
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    We're still waiting for our puppy to be born (should be any time now), but one concern I have is that she'll pick up the fear from our poor old hound girl. Lacey came to us as a very damaged stray, is not part of the doggie brain trust, and is as neurotic as the day is long, so we've finally resorted to Valium for her for thunderstorms, fireworks, etc. Even when she's dosed up and up on the couch with me, she's still a quivering, trembling mess.

I'd welcome suggestions on how to keep the puppy from picking up Lacey's fear. How can I encourage the puppy to copy Laddie, our Golden boy, who really doesn't see what all the fuss is about?
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I think if you have two dogs, your pup won't necessarily learn the fear from the other dog. I have one quite fearful girl (she's epileptic and gets scared of all sorts of things) but my Kai Ken puppy just ignores her fear and goes about his own business. He's more likely to imitate the Akita, who could care less.

I think they would have to also be fearful and see the fearful dog to learn that behavior. Just guessing, but that's my thoughts on it.
  • Even though the 4th is over with, our neighbors are still letting off fireworks. We were lucky on the actual 4th most didn't set them off and Saki didn't seem to pay to much attention until last night and totally freaked out on us. We had her outside when someone set off small firework and she started whimping, so we put her in the house and she went to her "cave" which is under our son's bed with some of her favorite toys. She seemed okay and came out later and was acting like herself. But about an hour later when everyone went to bed she started panting heavily and shaking. And had to be on one of our laps or up near our necks and faces and her shedding was in overdrive. I finally had to get give her a calming pill (treat) and about an hour later she was much calmer but still panting. This morning she is fine but very tired. But now preplanning on giving her a calming treat earlier and hoping for the best :)
    Deb and Jeff, Appleton, WI
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond thankfully handled the fireworks pretty well, since the City shoots them off over the river which is just a block away from our apartment.

On the 3rd some neighbors were shooting small ones off in the street while we were outside. He didn't like them too much, but didn't seem upset. He barked and them and then was trying to hunt them, haha.

The big ones on the 4th he did not like. I tried taking him for a walk to see them and he freaked a little. We made it about two houses away before he started shivering a tiny bit, so I picked him up. We made it another two houses when he flailed around to be put down and then dragged me back to the house.

I left him inside while I went back out to watch the show. When I got back inside he was laying in his crate. Not shaking or panting or ears/tail down. Just casually lounging in there. Which does mean he was a little nervous or upset, because he only goes in his crate when something is wrong. But he came back out and was playful and normal within 20 minutes.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    We were playing in our apartment complex's dog park after dark to try and beat the crazy heat wave we are having in the midwest. People were setting off some pretty big fireworks 50 yards away from us (right next to the street, smart kids), the loud ones made Ryu jump, he ignored the other ones though. We watched a big display from a decent distance on the fourth and he didn't even notice (too busy watching all the people around us).
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira

Today is the Fourth and I hope that all the forum members (in the US) have a game plan for their Shibas tonight.

Don't take your Shiba to anywhere new or different today! It's already stressful to be in a strange environment and throw in fireworks...bad juju.

Make sure they wear their identification and tags! More dogs run away today than any other day of the year. Last thing we want to see is a forum member lose their dog!

Take your Shiba for a long walk in the morning to get their energy out of their system as much as possible. As much as some dogs can handle loud noises (mine doesn't mind fireworks) it just puts your dog at risk to let them out late tonight. Don't chance it and keep them safe inside.

If your dog is fearful and you plan on staying at home, fill your living room or relaxing area with fans turned on high, loud music or television, and plenty of treats that make them happy to try and drown out all the scary sounds outside.

Everyone be safe! Happy Independence Day!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-07-04 08:44:06

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)